Thirty Days

Heartstrings

 

Note: Welcome to the second one-shot of the series! Hehe, I hope you will enjoy and sorry for any grammatical error in advance! XD HAPPY READING~

 

It was called Thirty Days.

 

The first reality television show that had six korean idols live together in the same house for thirty days straight. It was thirty days of scripted drama, as well as exciting, romantic feelings behind the camera. Those sincere feelings that fans will never, ever see. At least, that is how it was supposed to be. It wasn't lovey-dovey like the other show 'We Got Married', a rival to this show. It was filled with melodramatic envy, hatred, and love that will keep viewers at the edge of their seats. You see, I was an idol on that show myself. The show eventually canceled because it ruined all of our perfect idol images. But to be honest, I never regretted joining that show. It was probably the best decision I had ever made. So that is why I am here to tell you my story of how I survived those thirty days.

 

“So, you're leaving tomorrow?” Claudia asked as she pouted. She was my roommate and a fellow member of our group, Ace. She was jealous because I got to leave for Jeju Island and stay there for a month. Since she and I are from America, we never actually got to visit Jeju Island. We were trainees stuck in Seoul under SM Entertainment. Also, I get to miss those tiring, never-ending schedules that drains all of our energy.

 

“Yep. With Han Byul. We will both be representing our group.” I said as I was putting different colored shorts into my luggage. Han Byul is another idol of the four-membered group called Ace. She had the looks, but lacks talent. She could barely sing a note in tune or dance in sync. On top of that, she was full of herself, believing that she was better than the rest of us just because she filmed a few more CF's than us. We don't really mind though, and just tolerate her sassy attitude.

 

“And Han Byul is the only one who is the same age as me. Basically, I am the youngest out of all of them.” I sighed as I put another set of graphic tees into the luggage.

 

“Okay. Okay. Them. Who is 'them'? Who else?!” Claudia asked excitedly.

 

“Um.” I started to scratch my head. “f(x)'s Krystal. And SHINee's Tae Min and Min Ho. And EXO's Kai.” I simply stated while Claudia looked at me with gaping open. Those were famous idols that have their own place in KPOP history.

 

“Um. EXO's Kai?!” Claudia exclaimed. I rolled my eyes at her.

 

“But, Dani! You haven't seen him since your debut. Since his debut.” Claudia looked at me curiously, as if she was trying to read my expression.

 

“Yeah, I haven't seen him since during my trainee days. And we never contacted each other once since his debut.”

 

“Why? I though you guys were close.” Claudia said as she curled her hair with her fingers.

 

“We were. We used to practice dancing together every day. Dreaming of the same dream until...”

 

“Until what?” Claudia asked with her eyes wide open.

 

“Until we lost that hope to dream. And then we slowly drifted apart.” I simply said and smiled sadly. I closed and zipped the luggage.

~

It was nearly four-thirty in the morning and I was in a deep sleep, slightly stirring.

 

“Pss! Dani! Wake up, Dani!” Claudia shook me as I groaned. I had realized I took a nap unintentionally for about an hour.

 

“The camera crew and PD-nim are coming soon. Han Byul is already ready in the other room. I heard her getting ready.” Claudia started spraying water-based mosturizer on my face.

 

“Thanks, Claudia. You are the best.” I yawned as I got up to get dressed comfortably for the long ride. I wore skinny jeans with colorful hightops with a baseball jacket and a flat-brimmed cap. The doorbell suddenly rang, and I ran to the door opening it to meet a camera man and Kim PD-nim.

 

“Hello.” I bowed in front of the camera and acted more lively than usual. “Shh! You can come in, but most of the members are sleeping.” I glanced over at Han Byul's room whos lights were turned off.

 

“Is it okay to see your room?” Kim PD-nim asked. I nodded and showed them my room.

 

“Claudia and I are roommates. The left side of the room is her side. The right side is mine. But, usually it doesn't matter. We share the dresser, anyway.” I opened the door for them to step in. Meanwhile, Claudia was applying lotion on her face.

 

“Oh! Hello!” She looked sort of surprised and then covered her face in embarrassment.

 

“I look weird, don't I?” Claudia looked shy, as she continued to cover her pretty, bare face.

 

After a while, the camera men switched over to Hana, another member of Ace and Han Byul's room. They opened the door to see tired-looking Hana snoring lightly in her sleep and Han Byul quietly sleeping with her blankets perfectly rolled up to her chest. I rolled my eyes slightly when I saw Han Byul. Other than the princess Sleeping Beauty herself, who sleeps like that?

 

Han Byul suddenly woke up, streched her arms as she smiled and bowed.

 

“Hello, I am Han Byul from Ace.” She giggled as she continued to flaunt her “no-make-up” face. Her “no make-up” face is actually covered in make-up to cover up her imperfections.

 

~

 

After a long, tiring ride in the van with Han Byul we finally arrived at the airport. I can already see SHINee's Min Ho and Tae Min walking into the airport themselves. Fan were already screaming wildly from all places. Han Byul and I looked at each other with a slight confused look as we both walked into the airport together. Where was Kai and Krystal?

 

“WELCOME TO THIRTY DAYS! HAHA!” Yoo Jae Suk exclaimed as all of us clapped.

 

“Aha! So we are here today at the airport today to go where?! TO JEJU ISLAND ISLAND OF COURSE! Here we are with SHINee's Min Ho and Tae Min! And Ace's Dani and Han Byul! YEAH!” Yoo Jae Suk smiled and clapped his hands once more.

 

“Woohoo!” Min Ho yelled, adding the excitement.

 

“Oh, here they are!” Yoo Jae Suk pointed at the front entrance of the airport. There was Kai and Krystal walking together, looking like the perfect couple. Their outfit concepts matched, wearing a typical white shirt with blue jeans and sunglasses.

 

“Oh you guys came in together?” Yoo Jae Suk poked Kai, who looked almost uncomfortable and awkward. I swallowed my saliva hard and looked down at the ground. 

 

"Don't worry about it." I told myself silently. My heart felt like it was ripped to shreds.

 

“Oh, we just met at the door.” Krystal smiled and flipped her perfect long hair. I sighed a little in relief.

 

“Anyways, through Thirty Days, I'm sure you guys will get closer.”

 

“Oh, some of us are.” Min Ho explained. “I know Kai and Dani really well. They were so little long time ago.” There was a slight awkward silence. Min Ho still believed we were all close during our trainee days.

 

“Alright, so I won't be able to follow you guys to Jeju Island.” Jae Suk explained “But I will moniter you guys with several other MCs and idols of your own group. So keep that in mind!” Everyone nodded their heads all at once.

 

“Have fun guys!” He said as ran off to be an MC in another show in his next schedule.

~

After a short plane ride, all of us arrive in Jeju Island that seemed like another world. After a another long ride in the van again, this time with six people, we finally arrived at a two-story house that had a wonderful view of the sparkling ocean that gleams in the sunlight. We were told that the camera crew will be nearby and that there was a mini-mart about a mile away. It was already late at night, and since it was the first night, most of us were just unpacking. I usually stuck with Han Byul, Min Ho, or Tae Min since they were people I was most comfortable with. The cameras stopped rolling around 12:30 midnight and that was when we were free to be comfortable and do whatever we want.

 

“Ah! Today is such a long day.” Tae Min exclaimed as he looked through the cabinets of snacks the staff had prepared for us in advance. Min Ho was casually lounging on the sofa in the living room. As he was the oldest out of us, he decided to take a stand as the 'leader'.

 

“Hey Min Ho.” I said as I entered the living room and sat down with him. I yawned as I comfortably settled into my big hoodie.

 

“Hey Dani! You got so tall! You look even prettier in real life!” We never got to really see each other, even after our debut. He saw me when I was really little, so we are like brother and sister.

 

“You got handsomer!” I exclaimed and we laughed.

 

“Hey! You guys! Did you see?!” Tae Min looked animated, pointing to a dark hallway while holding a bag of chips.

 

“What? What?” Min Ho asked, his eyebrows raised up.

 

“There is a huge dance practice room. It's so nice!” We all went to see it. It was large, with mirrors on three sides. As I walked around, I was thinking about practicing dance tomorrow morning here. Then I suddenly yawned.

 

“Aigoo, Dani. You're tired.” Min Ho noticed my glum, exhausted face. “Go to sleep, kiddo.”

 

“Good night, Little Dani.” Tae Min teased. I laughed at his nickname he gave me. I finally went to my room. We each had our own room, that was all in one hallway. On my way there, I saw Han Byul watching television with a facial mask on. Oh dear.

 

“Where is Kai and--?” I stopped myself. Why am I even asking Han Byul? I shook my head and just walked to my room.

 

I sighed heavily and rubbed my eyes. I was too tired to do anything else or talk to anyone. It was nearly 1:30 in the morning and I could hear the sounds of television buzzing, snoring, and talking in other rooms. I collasped on my bed and fell asleep.

 

About 3:30 in the morning, a terrible thunderstorm occurred. The wind was blowing against the trees making whistling sounds. The branches tapped against the window continously. The sound of heavy rain pounded against the ceiling while the thunder roared and lightning cracked. Having a fear of thunderstorms, I shivered in my sleep. I was half-awake and half-asleep in dreamland. I frowned and sighed as nightmares started to occur. That was when I felt someone pat my hair and pushed it away from my forehead. I was sweating and continued to whimper.

 

“It's okay, Soo Jin.” I heard a low, soothing voice. My frowned turned into a smile and a single teardrop fell from my eye. I haven't heard my real name for years, because no one ever calls me that. When the storm finally calmed down, I opened my eyes. There was nobody in the room and I though that I dreamt the entire thing up. I cried softly, longing to listen to that voice say my name again.

 

Morning finally arrived and sunlight shined through my window, now. The air was fresh and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. I quickly washed my face and tied my hair up into a ponytail. I went out to the kitchen. Min Ho was again, lazily watching televsion while Krystal attempted to cook some food.

 

“Oh, Dani.” Krystal called. “I need you to help me with something.”

 

“Yeah, what is it?” I said, in a monotone voice.

 

“Oh, sweet maknae.” Krystal said in a cutesy tone. “I want you to make the rice today. And Kimchi soup for all of us please?” I scoffed in my head.

 

“Oh! And--” She suddenly came close to my face and whispered in my ear. “You better stay away from Kai. Or I'm not letting you stay here peacefully for thirty days.” She gave me a smile and walked away, screaming that I was the cook of the day. My hands turned into a fist. I knew she was up to something.

 

I finished cooking and set the table for everyone. The camera is now rolling and everyone is more animated than usual.

 

“This looks good!” Tae Min said as he took a whiff of the Kimchi Soup.

 

“Delicious!” Krystal exclaimed as she started to eat. Han Byul came in and dramatically stated that she was hungry.

 

“Here.” I handed her a bowl of rice. She smiled and said thanks.

 

Kai arrived last, looking tired as if he hasn't slept all night. He yawned and stretched his arms as he sat down to eat. I gave him his bowl of rice too. He awkwardly thanked me and then stared at me intensely for about three seconds before eating.

 

“Oh gosh! Did that happen last night?!” Min Ho exclaimed as he pointed at the T.V. Screen.

 

“What? What?” Everyone asked in unison.

 

“There was a huge thunderstorm last night. Electricity was out in some places. Flooding, everything! How come I didn't hear it last night?”

 

“Same.” Tae Min as he shrugged. “I must've been tired.”

 

“Wow, it must have been pretty bad.” Han Byul stated. “But, wait. Dani.” There suddenly was silence.

 

“Don't you have a fear of thunderstorms?” Han Byul asked. I sank down in my seat and gulped.

 

“Yeah.” Min Ho turned off the television and sat with us. Everyone, except Kai was staring at me waiting for an answer.

 

“I do.” I started to say. “But last night, I think I was okay.” Then I glanced over at Kai, who smiled and continued to eat.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Okay, there is A LOT OF DRAMA in this story! Haha, this is just a preview of what it will be like~ So many things you want to know and find out, right? Hehe, if you really like this story comment below and state why this is your favorite story! Remember, you guys can have the opportunity to choose the best one-shot for me to write the full version of the story. There weren't many YOU/KAI moments because this is just the beginning of the story. OKAY SO what is the relationship with you and Kai and you and Krystal? Is there a whole story behind why you(DANI) and Krystal became mortal enemies? (HAHA I LOVE KRYSTAL TO DEATH AND I'M SORRY I PORTRAYED HER AS AN EVIL CHARACTER) Gosh, I like this concept of the story a lot. Do you too? XD Anyways, make sure to subscribe if you want to keep up with the updates. The next one will be posted in about a week so stay tuned! Hehe~ thanks for subscribing too~!