Love Story

Heartstrings

Note: Welcome to the first one-shot of the series! I hope you enjoy and remember one thing: When the words are italicized, that means you are in the past. But when it is not, you are in the present. I just don't want you to become confused, as this story plot itself is already hectic :D HAPPY READING ^^

 

The fresh scent of the salty breezes filled the air at the crack of dawn. The feeling of the sand between my toes was cool, but rough. The gray, foamy waves gently crashed against the rocks as the seagulls fly freely across the open sky. I opened your eyes slightly and saw the sun rising up in the horizon. I quickly woke up and turned to Kim Jong In, who was sleeping soundly right beside me.

 

“Kim Jong In, wake up!” I loudly whispered. I shook him slightly, only to hear no response. About a minute later, he groaned and pulled me to his embrace.

 

“We have to go!” I exclaimed. My heart started pounding as I felt his body heat warming up my cold, shivering body.

 

“Mmm...” He murmured as he breathed in deeply, taking in my scent of my hair. After a while, he had finally gotten up and rubbed his sleepy eyes.

 

“What if my father finds us? What are we going to do then?” I worriedly asked. He just smiled and patted my head.

 

“Don't worry about it. Whatever happens, we will be together. I'm never letting you go.” He gripped my hand tightly.

 

“I love you.” I said, as I lovingly stared into his eyes.

 

“I love you too.” He came in closer to kiss me. I closed my eyes and reminisced the first day I met him.

~

It was at a nearby, corner coffee shop where the view of Seoul on a Sunday morning was picture-perfect. I walked into the cafe, to sit and drink coffee at my favorite place on the over-stuffed sofa beside the window. When I got there, someone was already there drinking black coffee, listening to music, while closing his eyes. He was gorgeous as he was leaning his head back that shows he was lazily day-dreaming and enjoying his day. I walked over there an tapped his shoulders.

 

“Hello.” I slightly waved my hands. He pulled one of his earphones off and looked at me, with a slightly irritated look.

 

“You are sitting in my favorite seat.” I pointed to the seat he was sitting in. He started to smirk and scoffed.

 

“I guess I am.” He put his earphones back on. Sighing, I sat right beside him as I sipped my iced latte and opened my book. After a few minutes, he opened one eye and sat up.

 

“Sit.” He smirked and then left. On the table, was the black coffee that he drank. It was only half-empty.

 

“Wait! You forgot your coffee!” I exclaimed as I held up his coffee. But he already left.

~

We walked together, holding hands down the beach while leaving footprints in the sand behind us.

 

“Do you believe in fate? Destiny?” I asked as I leaned my head against his shoulders. I can feel him smiling at my question.

 

“No. Not until I met you. We were meant to be. It's fate.” He chuckled and I giggled. We continued to stroll down the beach until I heard my cellphone beep. I took it out of my pocket to check the message. My smiled turned into a frown as I read the message. Jong In, who saw the change in my expression asked me what's wrong.

 

“It's Tae Min.” I whispered. Jong In angrily took my phone from me.

 

“I'll talk to him.”

 

“No, no. Don't.” I whispered, but he was already calling Tae Min.

~

The next Sunday, I went back to the same coffee shop. This time I was hoping that guy was there. I bought the black coffee he had last week and sat in that same spot. It was a rainy day and the skies in the city were gray. I looked out the window, listening to music while holding the black coffee.

 

“Is he not coming today?” I thought. I took out my small diary as I began to write.

 

What could ever be more perfect than a Sunday morning?

Where the skies are gray and the fresh aroma of coffee grounds.

A day where everything is lazy, slow, and comforting.

 

I paused and put down my pen as I heard knocking on the window. I looked up to see that guy from last week, smiling as he walked away. Then I started to write again.

 

In the misty rain, there was a tall, dark, handsome stranger.

He walked down the street, with his body slightly swaying back and forth.

His bright yellow umbrella rested upon his broad shoulders.

 

“What are you writing about?” Someone asked. Surprised, I close the book immediately.

 

“Nothing.” I said, while crossing my arms.. It was that guy again. “I'm a writer. I write whenever I get inspiration.” He nodded as if he understood.

 

“I never got to fully introduce myself.” He put on a cocky grin. “My name is Kim Jong In.”

 

“My name is Lee Han Eul.” I put my hand out. He gratefully shook it.

 

“I'm glad we are off to a good start.” He smiled genuinely. “Ah, and is this coffee is mine?” He took it and sipped it. My cheeks reddened of embarrassment.

 

“I-I have to go.” I stuttered as I grabbed my purse to leave.

 

“Wait!” He called but I ignored him. By the time I was out the door, it was pouring rain and I had no umbrella.

 

“I think you might need this.” I saw a bright yellow umbrella being handed to me. It was Jong In, holding the black coffee that I bought him.

 

“But what about you?” I asked, but he already walked away. Jong In was getting soaked by the rain, but he casually walked down, taking another sip of his coffee. I shrugged as I used his umbrella to go back home.

~

“When will this ever stop?” I cried as I put my head on his shoulders. We were both wearing white t-shirts and denim jeans while barefoot in the sand.

 

“Why can't my family accept us being together? Why can't Tae Min let me go? He doesn't even love me! Why do we have to runaway in order to be together?” Jong In cringed at the name Tae Min.

 

“Don't worry, we will work this out.” His voice was low and husky. “I'll find a way out for us.” We hugged each other tightly as we watched the waves rolling against the wind.

~

I nervously ran my fingers through my hair as I waited for someone at that cafe on Saturday afternoon. My parents had arranged it for me, because they wanted me to get married as soon as possible to produce a possible heir to their company. I looked frustrated, exasperated, and sighed heavily from time to time.

 

“Something wrong?” Someone asked behind me. I turn around to see Jong In, again. Except he was wearing something peculiar.

 

“You work here?” I asked, astounded. He nodded, then smoothed out his black and white 'waiter' outfit.

 

“I needed a part-time job. I work here on most days except Sunday. That's when I come here to relax.” He clucked his tongue. “So what's up?”

 

“On a blind date.” I blankly said as I sighed.

 

“Ah, I see. Your parents want you to get married as soon as possible.” He said.

 

“Yes.” I paused for a second. “Wait. How did you know?”

 

“I was in a similar situation.” Jong In stated as he rolled up his sleeves. “Coffee?”

 

“Yes, please. With whole milk and sugar.” I responded. He nodded and walked away.

 

As he walked away, someone behind me tapped my shoulder.

 

“Miss... uh Han Eul?” I turned around to see a pretty-looking man smiling at me.

 

“Yes. And.. uh Tae Min-sshi?” I said, my lips barely moving. He nodded as he sat down.

 

After the blind date, I got a call from my mother.

 

“How was he? Do you think he is the one?” My mother excitedly asked. I shrugged to myself.

 

“He is okay...” I started to say.

 

“Great! That's perfect!” My mother's voice got higher in pitch. “Let's have the wedding in a few months.”

 

“Few months?!” I shrieked, almost dropping my phone.

 

“He would be great for us, dear.” My mother said “His family is wealthy, they own several hotels here in Korea. Your father loves him dearly. He really wants him to be his son-in-law.”

 

“But...” I whispered.

 

“But what? You said he was okay. Why, do you have another man in mind? Get rid of him. There will be no other man that will take Tae Min's place. It's not mine, but your father's word.” She hung up immediately after that.

~

It soon became night as we were cruising down the highway. Jong In looked tense, as if there were a lot of things on his mind. Concerned, I held his hand tightly. He turned around to give a small smile at me.

 

“What's wrong?” I whispered.

 

“I'm thinking.” He only replied. I decided not to say another word.

 

We finally arrived at a destination that I did not recognize. He parked right in front of a large house.

 

“This is my friend's house. Stay here for the night. I told Se Hun, my friend in advance, and he will take care of you.”

 

“Wait. Where are you going?” I asked, as he opened the car door for me.

 

“I told you. I'll find a way. I'm going to crush Tae Min once and for all.” He literally pulled me out of the car, then got in and sped away.

 

“Wait! Wait!” I yelled after him, but it was too late. That was no solution to our problem. I felt anxious as I walked to the front door of the house. Someone opened the door.

 

“Hey! Han Eul! I have been expecting you!” Se Hun exclaimed.

 

“Listen, Se Hun, sorry for asking a huge favor even though we had just met.” I said. He looked confused for second.

 

“Alright what is it?”

 

“I need to borrow your car. I think I know where Jong In is going. And I need to go.” I stepped into the house to see car keys on the kitchen counter.

 

“Wait. Wait. Wait. What about Jong In?” Se Hun asked, looking more confused.

 

“He's in danger. He is not going to stand against Tae Min and his group.”

 

“Oh, you mean SHINee?” I looked at him shock. “Wait. You know too? I thought that group was a secret group that Tae Min made. I thought I only knew.”

 

“Nope. I know. And so does Jong In.” Se Hun calmly said while I was panicking.

 

“How? How?” I started to say but Se Hun pulled me to his car.

 

“We'll talk on the way there.” He quickly said. He took out his phone and started dialing several numbers and calling different people.

 

“Guys, members of EXO. I heard Jong In is in trouble. I guess we'll have fun with SHINee tonight.”

 

I knew there had to be something that happened to Tae Min and Jong In before I had met the two of them. I knew Jong In didn't like Tae Min because he was my ex-fiance, but I felt it was more than that.

~

It was fifteen minutes after the blind date and I was stressed over the phone call my mother had just given me. After feeling frustrated for a few minutes, I realized that Jong In was staring at me freaking out. I straightened up and smoothed out my skirt.

 

“Ahem.” I coughed. “Jong In, where was my coffee from an hour ago?” I looked at him to see him very distracted, not like his cool self.

 

“How do you know the guy?” His voice was low and vicious. I was surprised at his tone.

 

“Tae-Tae Min? I-T told you. I had a blind date. And.. and.” I stuttered. He walked to me and came dangerously close to my face. Our lips were just inches away.

 

“You like him?” He sounded jealous and angry at the same time.

 

“No-no-no-ye-yes-maybe-I-don't-really-know.” I blabbered, not knowing what I'm saying. He looked satisfied with my answer.

 

“I'll get you your coffee.” He said as he walked away.

~

 

Ever since that day, I had this weird feeling as if those two had some kind of connection.

 

And now, I'm going to find out.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Thanks for reading my first one-shot of this series, Love Story. This story has a lot of secrets, twists, turns, and surprises that is yet to be revealed. If you really liked this one-shot and want me to write a full version of this, subscribe and comment below! If you are not sure, (still subscribe) and wait to see more exciting stories for you to read! If those of you were a little confused with the story, it is because it is not a full version. It's merely like a preview for you to get a taste of what it is like. :D The past of you, Han Eul and Kim Jong In is still unfolding! If I ever were to write a full version of this, you'll understand. :D Gosh, it was so hard squeezing this story into a teeny-tiny one-shot. Maybe I'll write this entire story for fun, what do you think? Haha! See you next week with my next story!^^ XOXO, ellie.

P.S. I'm going to have a lot of minor SM characters, forgive me if I use them as evil characters. >:D HAHA I love Shinee and EXO so much, that I had to put them both in one story. Awesome, huh? keke~