chapter five

the king's illicit love

 

CHAPTER FIVE

playlist of historical drama osts

 

"chonna, the queen has arrived." se-hun's enuch announced and opened the doors. se-hun's eyes sharpened and he lowered his eyes.

in walked in the queen. her hips swayed smoothly, her lips curled into a smile, and her eyes concentrated on oh se-hun one hundred percent of the time. "good morning chona." she greeted and bowed. her lips still curled in a sly grin. se-hun sighed and looked away.

she sat down in front of him and looked at his eyes, "chona, please look at me and tell me what is wrong." she said. se-hun glared at her, "i told you that only i can fire the palace maids. what are you to be firing the palace maids that were hired by me?" he shouted. a cold snarl plastered on his lips, and his eunuch looked away.

ji-young tried to keep the perfect smile on her face, "but chona, the palace maid purposely tried to spill my tea on me. i could have been burned!" the end of her lip quivered and her eyes gave him a cold look, "i am your wife, and joseon's queen. i have the power to fire whomever if they try to harm me in any way." she harshly added. her smile faded and her eyes glared at se-hun.

se-hun raised an eyebrow, "yes, but i will have to accept if the palace maid should be fired or not. should i question her then?" he asked nearly shouting. ji-young scoffed, "she tried to burn me, can you not just listen?!" she screamed. se-hun blinked and gave her a smirky grin, "then that's the answer. bring in the palace maid." 

in, was pushed a very young palace maid. her eyes red and puffy from sobbing, and she trembled as she bowed. se-hun looked at the palace maid, "you, did you try to purposely burn the queen of joseon?" he asked. the palace maid shook and kept her eyes on the ground, "no chona. my hand was shaking, and i knew if i didn't move the tea would burn her, so i tried to turn away when the tea spilt, and ended up nearly killing the queen. the glass was picked up by my hands." she cried. 

ji-young snarled at the palace maid, "yah! stop lying and tell the truth!" she shouted. the poor girl shook and began to sob, "i am telling the truth!" "how dare you talk back to the queen!" ji-young shouted and her hand rose to strike the girl. se-hun banged his hand on the table and shouted, "stop!" 

ji-young glared at him, "can't you tell the girl is lying?" she snarled. se-hun smirked, "please get out." he told the palace maid. she immediately got up, bowed, and ran as the doors slightly opened. 

the queen clenched her jaw, and she tightly held her skirt in a fist, "you're paranoid. you're afraid of a simple lowly palace maid. tell me. why are you afraid?" se-hun asked, obviously mocking the queen. ji-young scoffed and looked away, "you know the reason why. you're just trying to make me feel bad. why can't you ever just show a small interest in me? wae?!" she shouted.

se-hun looked up at her, "you. get out. if you want to talk about the past, look in the scrolls in the royal library." ji-young quickly stood up and stormed out of the king's quarters. her eyes cold and narrowed. she wasn't going to go down without a fight.

 

 

 

"you're going to have to marry. you're too old to be living with your parents." an ahjumma said. hee-song giggled and smiled, "ahjumma, i have a fiancee, but we're just... not ready." she responded and gave her ten nyang. "enough worrying about me like your own child. buy you some new silk." hee-song said and patted the woman's hand. she walked off and smiled.

hee-song had quit her job as a palace maid, and vowed to not return. ever. "unnie!" someone shouted. she turned and saw a girl with her jacket wrapped around her head running over to her. hee-song pursed her lips and cocked her head, "me?" she asked.

the girl squealed and hugged her, and smiled, "unnie, do you remember me? it's me..." she looked around, "the princess." hee-song gasped, "yah! what are you doing here? you should be at the palace." the girl laughed, "i can't. my broth-i mean the king is always quarrelling with his wife, and i can hear them from my quarters. it's so quiet and boring without you unnie. you should return." the princess said. 

hee-song shook her head. she already told herself she couldn't go back. not only was the king in charge of the palace maids now, but he also kept a close eye on them. just in case she would return. 

the princess bounced on her toes, "unnie! please! please! please! it's a royal command!" she whined and pouted pulling on hee-song's sleeve. hee-song smiled, "maybe. since it's a royal command." the princess squealed, "thank you! i hope to see you around." the princess pranced along the market streets smiling and looking at the silks. 

hee-song sighed. could she go back? 

 

 

jong-in crossed his arms over his chest and sighed. when was hee-song coming back? why was she taking so long? he was about to give up and turned around, "oppa? you were waiting for me?" she asked. jong-in saw hee-song with a smirk plastered on her face.

"aniyo. i was... getting fresh air." he lied stretching. she snickered and smiled, "sure. get some fresh air." she walked away, and he called after her. hee-song turned and raised an eyebrow, "are you going to accept it yet?" he asked. hee-song shrugged, "i don't think i can right now. aba is really sick." 

jong-in scratched the back of his neck and smiled, "oh yeah.." he looked away and sighed. it's been three years already, and she was still rejecting his proposal request. he kicked the tree trunk and menaced in pain and grabbed his foot. he snarled and looked at the back of hee-song. he was getting tired of being rejected.

 

 

 

"chona! there is a request for a palace maid spot." se-hun's eunuch announced. se-hun nodded and sighed. he was tired of waiting and waiting for hee-song to return. would he really live on without her? 

in walked in a girl, with her head bowed low. she bowed and kneeled before the king, "chona, may i please work at the palace as a palace maid. my father is sick, and i need the money to buy herbs for him." she said. se-hun cocked his head and observed her. 

her hair was very light, and her skin was fair. her hair was braided, so she wasn't married yet. he sighed, "please show me your face." he said. the girl reluctantly and slowly lifted up her head.

"hee-song..."

 

author's notes: 

it's been a while since i've ever updated! i'm sorry! haha, so ... yeah. hee-song is BACK!