Reminiscing (11) ∞

Wings ∞

^ ^ ^ That fan art is AMAZING. Credits to artist

~

This little story is a story within a story within a story.

Yesh. Feels like Inception!!!

Minus the epicness.

 “Three dreams in one!? That’s impossible. You’re crazy, Leonardo Dicaprio”

Imossible? Noo. But confusing as fck?

*nods head*


Three years ago

~~~

He tip-toed into Seoul Middle School like some kid high off drugs.

He looked around his surroundings as if he just saw the sun for the first time. He leaped out of the crowd’s way as they swarmed past him like an angry mob slamming into the lockers with a painful thud.

And they way he was dressed! Ugh. He cringed just by looking at him. Still dressed by mommy.

Minho, on the other hand, at least attempted to fit in. He had enough experience, being a 3rd year, and he had also been just like this kid when he started as a 1st year.

And his life was terrible, that first year. He wouldn't want it to happen to someone else.

He had better convert and help him while he still can! He felt like Muhammad. And his mother always pestered him about doing something for others. He swelled in pride. Now he was.

With that devotion in mind, he introduced himself quickly to the small boy who stood alone. He was so darn tiny for a fourteen-year old.

“Hey you there. Little boy.”

“Oh,” The boy’s jet black hair shivered around his neck as he swiveled around. He blushed deeply at finding it was an upperclassman speaking to him.

What?! I mean his cheeks are like a newborn babies. What a weirdo.

 Minho was flustered at the younger boy’s quick embarrassment. It caught him by surprise, making him redden as well.  The smaller boy talked first. “I-I’m Lee Taemin,” he added, feeling uncomfortable. Suddenly, He shuddered violently; his whole body shook with alarming and grotesque movements. His eyes rolled into the back of his head. Minho stepped back half-thinking the boy in front of him would explode.

But just as soon as it began, it stopped.

 Oh my god, of all places, it had to happen here, Taemin cursed his frail body. He bit his lower lip and closed his eyes despairingly.

Go on. Do it. Spit on me. Call me whatever you want. I’ll just leave this goddamn school like my last one, because that’s all I’ve ever done. I’ve left so many schools just to find my own stupid place in the world. Only I’ve searched long enough; I don’t have one.

 He waited quietly for the insults, clenching his fists until they whitened. But they never came. He looked up at the tall boy to see that he was not glaring at him in revulsion, but instead he had a look of question and wonder.

Surprised at this different reaction, Taemin shuffled his tattered sneakers and stared hard at them, wondering why on earth this boy wanted to talk to him. 

Minho ruffled the back of his hair to ease the sudden tension within him. Why is this so awkward? And what the heck just happened? Should I let it drop? He did. “I’m Choi Minho.”

“I know.”

“Er…”

“S-sorry. I just see you around a lot. That’s all.” His soft cheeks colored red. Minho wondered if it was possible for anyone to blush so often that it caused him to permanently have red-pink skin.

“…’Kay. Tell you what. How about you meet me at lunch. I sit at the table under the big willow tree, ok?” Minho suddenly had a loss for words, so he decided to give himself time to regain himself.

And with that, the tall slender boy, books clutched in hand, ran off with a beautiful grace, just as the bell rang. Lee Taemin stood in the middle of the hall, oblivious to the crowd rushing past him.

The quick silence that now filled the hall brought him back from his trance. He let himself grasp what had happened in the past 5 minutes.

And suddenly, it occurred to him.

If he didn’t get the chance to insult Taemin now, he certainly would under the big willow tree at lunch.

 ~~~

He wasn’t eating today, for he hadn’t brought anything before he left the house in his sleepy stupor. His flat tummy growled angrily as Taemin sadly pat at it.

But other than that, he was happy. Really happy. Taemin’s seizures hadn’t happened at all today since that first encounter with Minho. Today was looking good.

But then he noticed the dark figure posed coolly against the tallest willow tree. Taemin cursed under his breath. He probably didn’t spot him. He could still run now.

He pivoted on his heels dramatically, attempting and going for the same manner of grace that Minho had done before.

And surprisingly, he was doing it pretty well! Some kids even glanced up at him in awe! But that was when he took his first step—

And tripped.

“AHHHHHH! MO—

He barely caught the word in his throat. Oh thank the Buddha!! That would’ve been embarrassing.

But that was weird. The impact he was suspecting never came. In fact, the position he was in defied gravity!

He opened his eyes and to his astonishment a pair of well-built arms supported Taemin’s waist. His eyes traveled along the length of the arm until he finally found the stranger’s face. It was Choi Minho. His eyebrows were knitted in worry. Minho held him carefully, as if he gripped him just a slightest bit more, the pressure would cause the boy in his arms to implode.

“EH? M-minho-hyung? How did you—When did you—“

“Don’t be stupid. I ran over here ever since I saw you do that little move of yours…were you trying to dance? That was pretty cool, but I knew you would trip.” He smirked as he let go of the boy and straightened him to a standing position.

Taemin’s mouth was agape.

“Now, who were you screaming for? Me, or your mom? If you don’t say me, I’ll make sure gravity will do the work and knock you back onto that floor.”

“O-of course. I was gonna say ‘Minho,’” he stuttered. The flaming stare Minho directed towards Taemin almost made him melt where he was standing. His eyes were the deepest of browns, and they were the kind of beauty that dared you to look again.

“Stop that,” Minho interrupted, cutting off Taemin from his brisk daze. Minho tried his best to hide the satisfaction that was now creeping onto his face. “You don’t have to do or say what people tell you to. Got that? Except me, of course, only because I want to help you.” Minho added the last part as an afterthought.

Taemin bobbed his head nervously.

“C’mon. People are starting to stare.” He led the way to the small wooden table and gestured to the seat across him. “Sit,” he inquired.

Taemin sat and stared longingly at the tray of untouched food in front of Minho.

“Oh, help yourself.” Minho felt like he was nurturing an abandoned puppy. “So uh, not to be rude but, don’t you ever want a new pair of shoes?”

Taemin looked down at his feet as if just realizing it for the first time. “Oh, right. Well, of course I do. But I don’t need them,” He said as he bit into an apple.

Minho contemplated him. “That’s something to say from a kid.”

Taemin smiled and sighed. It was such a breathtaking expression; Minho took a sharp intake of breath at the loveliness of it. “I dress crappy for a reason. If I didn’t…well, I’d look like a girl. I’ve been mistaken before.” He shuddered.

Minho was not surprised. The boy had that kind of hair that naturally went back into place. His face was so beautiful; it was prettier than most girls at the school. His facial features seemed like they were painted or crafted by a god. He looked like a little Thai prince. Or even princess.

“Well, anyways, thanks for the apple. And saving me,” Taemin said rather bashfully. He stood up when Minho grabbed his wrist.

“Where do you think you’re going? I barely got to talk to you!”

“Er…sorry hyung.” He sat back down with a rather regretful expression. “What else do you want to talk about? We don’t want to be late for class.”

“We have over thirty minutes,” he scoffed. “So, why are you here, Lee Taemin?”

“I…You made me.”

Minho rolled his eyes, “You know what I mean, smart ,” he said playfully. “It’s pretty rare for someone to transfer so abruptly in the middle of the year,” he explained.

“My…my mother is pretty picky about schools.” He stared at the apple in his hand.

“You’re lying. I can see it in your eyes.” Taemin was shocked at Minho’s blunt statement. He dropped the apple, letting it roll off the table and gawked at Minho.

“How would you know?” He glared. Minho felt for a second. It was so unlike his cute and playful manner. It was almost scary.

 “I told you. I can see it in your eyes.”

“Now YOU’RE lying. I’ve been telling that lie forever and everyone has bought it.”

“HAH! So you WERE lying!”

“What! I—Damnit, NO!”

“You don’t have to lie to me.”

“You don’t understand.”

“Try me.”

The younger boy stared hard at him. Minho smiled back.

“Afterschool, then. I’ll be inside near the main entrance,” He picked up his stuff and stood up, ready to leave.

“You sure have trust issues, don’t you?”

The prince scoffed. “You don’t even know.”