A Newbie's Welcome

Finding Persephone

“Dinner time!” the intercom yelled.

Great, it’s not even morning.

I don’t even get that.

Isn’t that lovely? I still don’t get anything right.

“Donghae, it’s going to be all right.” Siwon said, walking towards me.

“How can you say that?” I sniffed, petrified. “I can’t speak, I can’t breathe, I don’t know what’s going on, my mom’s in a coma, I just…I don’t even know.” He teared up. “I’m tired of this, I’m tired of being unwanted—but to be assassinated because I’m unwanted? To see the only person that I actually love almost be killed? This. Isn’t. Fair.” I bawled.

Siwon sighed, “Look, Donghae, I understand what you’re going through. Every hero’s like that.”

I sat up, wiping the tears off of my face. “But that’s the problem. I’m not the hero. I’m just a kid that barely knows any better. Hell, I don’t want to go to hell.”

“Just because the oracle says that someone’s going to go to hell, doesn’t mean it’s you.”

“But the world’s going to be in agony.”

“That’s because of Demeter.” Siwon sighed. “Curse her and her temper.”

I wiped the tears from my eyes, “I just…I need a moment.”

Eunhyuk coughed, I turned to look at her. “Do you want to go to your cabin for that? You’ll be the only one in there.”

I nodded.

She started to walk, motioning me to follow her, and I did. I heard Siwon sigh, and Ryeowook patted his back.

We walked out of the medical building, and towards my cabin. There were 12 main cabins, which were in some sort of awkward U, Ώ. Each of them had a god’s name, written in Greek. Weirdly enough, my dyslexia was turned off for a moment, because I could read all of them despite never learning the language. Athena, Ares, Aphrodite, Apollo, and others.

“Here.” She stopped, pointing to the cabins.

I was Poseidon’s son, and above it, it had “Ποσειδῶν”. Every cabin had a different design on them. And mind you, they weren’t ordinary cabins—but more like expensive lofts that were similar to cabins, designed to match each god. For example, mine was Poseidon, so there were plenty of fish statues and fish nets, mermaids and mermen, dolphins and sharks, harpoons and fishing poles in the front for decoration.

Eunhyuk opened the doors, and I walked in, not bothering to look around. It was dark anyways, and the lights weren’t on.

“I assume you’re not going to eat?” she asked.

I shook my head, “Not tonight.” I mutter.

The next sound was the door shutting.

I was alone.

Of course, this was a normal feeling, since I’ve always felt alone. There was nothing in this world that could stop that feeling. I never had a dad, and the only guy that was a “dad” was Jae—and even that was horrible. Jae was never a father. Oh who am I kidding? He isn’t even a man. What kind of man beats a woman who wouldn’t fight back? What kind of man sits around all day, as while a woman works her heart out to pay the bills?

Tears filled my eyes once more.

A man should be someone that would protect a girl. That wouldn’t dare hurt her. He should hold her, and love her, and treat her as though she’s his everything.

But my real dad isn’t even my dad.

A father should never be someone who leaves the mother and his unborn son, just because he’s a so called “god”. He should’ve been there, protecting her. Not allowing her to fall in the cruel arms of Jae.

“You’re not my father.” I say, tears slowly falling from my eyes, I soon looked up. “Don’t expect me to make you proud. Ever.” I continued, as though he was listening.

My mother doesn’t deserve this. She honestly doesn’t. She’s a woman with integrity, a woman with grace, a woman with eyes filled with warmth, a heart filled with kindness. She’s a mother, who’s given up for everything. I soon held onto the fabric of my pants, gripping them as tight as I could, looking down.

She’s not dead.

There’s no way, in this world that she’s dead.

Even if she’s dead, I’d go to the gates of hell to get her.

I won’t ever allow this.

I looked around, soon realizing that everything was completely dark.

Here I am, in some unknown place, once again, alone. There was no one other than me in this room, but the sound of water, flowing down—as though there was a water fountain in the room, filled the air. I felt lonely again.

But of course, I had always dealt with this pain. The unbearing feeling on being alone, having no one around you, no one to talk to, it was a normal feeling. After all, who would want to be near this stupid kid?

I took a deep breath, lying on my bed, closing my eyes. My eyes hurt to even blink, because I’ve been crying so much. They were puffy, and most likely red. But it didn’t matter, no one else was there, so I continued to cry.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I woke up the next morning, looking around, finally noticing what this place looked like.

I felt like I was in an aquarium hall. How the inside was bigger than the outside, I had no clue. But the cabin had a concave ceiling of glass that connected with the walls, which made me feel as though I was actually in the ocean—even the ground was glass. Fishes were swimming behind the glass, as though they weren’t trapped. There were shelves that were empty, connected to the glass walls, along with a desk that seemed to look like the pool tiles. A huge fish bowl (and by huge, I mean bigger than me HUUUUGEEE) that acted as a fountain, with more than 20 fishes swimming in them, falling out of the water, but back into the water.

My bed? My bed was a huge clam, dangling from the ceiling—meaning it swings (Didn’t know that was a thing yesterday). To describe the absolute beauty of the room is difficult, but that doesn’t avoid the main problem. It was still lonely. No other bed was in the room, meaning no other person.

I sigh, getting off my swinging clam bed, only to see my suit case on the ground. I got on the ground and opened it, seeing my wallet. A smile went on my face as I opened it, seeing a picture of my mother and I when we went on our beach trip together a few years back.

“DONGHEE YEE” I hear someone yell.

My brow opened as I slowly walked to my door, only to see a feminine man with purple hair.

“GODS, do you know how long you slept?!” the man yelled.

I blinked, staring at him. “Who are you?”

“Heechul, god of wine, also the camp counselor here.” He grumbled, clearly annoyed. “Look, I don’t care what you do here, but you HAVE to at least wake up before noon!”

“Sorry…”

He rubbed his temples, looking at me. “Look, go to your bathroom, get ready, and get outside. I don’t care what you do, just get outside. ” He said before walking away. “Freakin grapes.” He muttered, “I make one stupid mistake, and I’m here taking care of these idiotic demigods.”

So it’s obvious that I’m not going to get along with him.

I turned around, and saw coral door (Seriously, it was coral, not the color.) with a wooden sign that had “Bathroom” written on it. I went in, and again, I was amazed.

It was a room that was made of marble, but still had an ocean feel to it. There was a blue, marble fish on the sink—that as I the water, spat the water. There was a boat that had SS Poseidon etched on it that was the bathtub.

Whatever this is, this place was amazing.

After I had brushed my teeth, I changed into different clothes, just another T-shirt and shorts—nothing special. I grabbed my ipod (which my mom bought for my for my 13th birthday, so it’s a pretty old one, but regardless, I still loved it) and I walked out. No one was outside of the cabins.  So putting my earphones in, I looked around.

There was a lake, a big, beautiful blue lake. Me, being a water lover, obviously walked towards it, sitting down, my feet in the water.

It was this thing with water that never made me feel alone. Or, simply gave me this reassuring feeling, filling in that void that was always in me. I couldn’t describe it, or, much less, it’s difficult to describe. But it was there.

I took a deep breath, staring at the water. My eyes were still puffy, but they were okay, I suppose. They’re better then what they’re supposed to be, for crying all night.

I closed my eyes, taking my earphones off, enjoying the sound of the waves rushing.

However, that silence was abruptly cut by a girl’s loud scream, “THERE’S THE SON OF POSIEDON.”

I turned around, only to see a hoard of people running towards me with knives and swords, arrows and clubs. I, doing what any normal person would do if they were to be faced with this situation, got up and ran.

Why were they following me? I don’t know! But this is a camp for half bloods, I suppose, so this should be normal. Maybe it’s some sort of inauguration of a newbie?

“I DON’T UNDERSTAND!” One of them yelled, “HE JUST GOT HERE, WHY DOES HE GET TO GO ON A MISSION BEFORE ME?”

Mission? What is he talking about?

“STOP.” Siwon yelled.

I looked back, and he was in front of the other kids.

“THIS ISN’T FAIR!” One of them yelled, “HE ISN’T EVEN PROPERLY TRAINED.”

“TELL ME ABOUT IT!” another groaned, “We deserve to go on a mission first!”

“That’s not how the Oracle works.” Siwon sighed. “I need all of you to train the guy, NO ARGUMENTS.” He looked into the crowd, “Eunhyuk?”

“Here!” she pipped up, dividing the crowd as she walked out.

“You’re in charge of Donghae. If anyone hurts him, it’s on your head.”

She stared at him, as though it didn’t matter to her. “Got it.”

“As for the rest of you!” Siwon yelled, “Get back to your activity.”

Groans escaped from everyone’s mouth as they all turned around and walked away. I stared at them, awfully confused. Soon, I looked at Eunhyuk who seemed to be having a “gothic punk” day, as she wore a black tank top with a purple star on it, along with black shorts, and black leggings and tennis shoes. Her lipstick being a dark, plum red color. I know that, because I’ve tried to kiss a girl with that color before, and she corrected me when I complimented her lips—yeah, I didn’t get the kiss.

“Let’s go, fish brain.” She said, motioning me to follow her with her two fingers.

“I’m sorry?”

“I have to train you.” she says, walking, not even bothering to look at me.

“Why?”

“It’s a thing we do at Camp Half-Blood. We train each other in order to fight monsters. Since I’m the person that has been here the longest, I’m going to train you.”

I stared at her, she seemed younger than me. “How old are you?”

“Fourteen.”

“How long have you been here?”

“Seven years.”

I blinked, “So your mom took you to camp when you were seven.”

“Not exactly, I was pretty much taken away from her.” She said, a hint of bitterness in her voice. “But this place is like a home for me. I have a place to sleep, a place to eat, a place to live, what else could I ask for?”

I stared at her, the sense of pity came. “How was she taken from you?”

“Well, I don’t want to talk much about me right now, but let’s just say that Hera belongs in hell more than Hades.”

Wow. That must mean a lot.

We walked into a large gym, completely empty.

“Siwon said to get your sword.”

I gave her a look of bewilderment. “What sword?”

“The one in your pocket.”

I put my hands in my pocket, but there was only my ipod, my wallet, and a pen.

“There isn’t a sword in my pocket.”

“Just get it.”

“I don’t have a sword.”

“Donghae-shii” she said, finally adding some honorifics to my name, but her voice was creepily nice. “Please get your sword.”

“I don’t have a—”

“Weapon, something, something of that matter.”

“I don’t have a—”

She, obviously irritated, raised her voice, “GET YOUR SWORD.”

“HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT? I DON’T HAVE ONE!”

“For gods sake!” she walked towards me, putting her hands in my pockets. I felt a little bit awkward because she was so close. She took out the pen and placed it in my hands. “Click it. It’s your sword.” She walked away, back to her original position, muttering, “Stupid fishbrain.”

I stared at the pen. It was the same one that Siwon had thrown at me. I clicked it, and it instaneously turned into a sword. “Woah.” Was the first thing I said. “How did it get in my pocket? I changed clothes.”

“This is your sword, you are its owner. Doesn’t matter what you’re wearing, it’ll always be in your pocket. Even if you lose it, wait a while, it’ll be back.”

She then grabbed a sword from a rack, “Since we’re beginning, I won’t use my weapon on you. I’ll go easy.”

As the hours went on with us training, I would like to say that she lied about the easy part. It was in no way easy at all. In fact, I felt like I was in hell. I had cuts and bruises everywhere on my body, and even though I was exhausted, she seemed to be totally okay with everything, breaking only a few drops of sweat—meanwhile I was completely soaked in mine.

Sooner or later, I took off my shirt, not caring anymore about the sword cutting me, because either way, I’d end up bleeding. She looked at me, dragging her sword on the ground, a smirk on her face, as though this was what she wanted to do all this time.

“You’re too slow, your defense is lacking, and your overall strength is low.”

I took a deep breath, going at it once again, but again, I was bleeding.

For some reason, I liked this.

Of course, I was bleeding, and I felt like I was going to die soon, but that didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy it. I was in combat, and I felt like nothing was hindering me. Not my ADHD, nor my dyslexia.

After the six hour mark, with me dying, and her finally sweating a lot, we went on break.

“How do you fight with tights on?” I ask, breathing heavily as we walked out of the gym.

“You learn to do it if you’re going to fight in disguise.” She says, taking a sip from her water bottle. “Monsters think that they can defeat you if you’re in street clothes, but they’re so wrong.”

I smiled, “So baggy pants?”

“If you want to be killed and meet Hades, be my guest.” She shrugged. “Anyways, since you’re the son of Poseidon, just take a shower, and the cuts’ll heal. It’ll be as though you didn’t get hurt at all.”

“And how do you know this?”

“Percy Jackson does it.”

I nod, “I have a question,” I looked at her as we headed to the cabins, “Can you tell me more about Percy Jackson?”

She looked at me, “Well, he was offered the job as a god, being immoral forever, but declined it—that stupid idiot.”

“Why’d he decline it?”

“Because of his girlfriend, Annabeth. Instead, he made a deal with the gods that all demigods should be claimed when they’re 13 and be escorted to the camp—even though some aren’t because of stupid mortals. But, the gods have kept their promise—except for Zeus.”

I nod as we finally made it to the cabin. “So, dinner…Is there any special arrangement?”

“Demigods sit at their parent’s table.” She said, walking towards her cabin—which was next to mine. “Since you’re the only god that Poseidon has had in a very long time, I suppose you sit alone. Like me.”

I gave her a confused look, “Why does Poseidon have only me? I see the other gods have a lot more kids.”

“Well, I’ll explain that later, just rest.”

A smile came upon my face, soon nodding.

Well, at least I think I made a friend today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OH MY GOSH, TWO UPDATES IN THE SAME WEEK? I'm kinda suprised myself...I only proofread this once, so if there are any mistakes, please tell me so that I can fix it! :) 

Regardless, I hoped you enjoyed? 

Don't forget to comment! Or else Donghae's going to REALLY get it from the campers.

1F4a6uA.gif