The Beach

Fake.

 

Today, you’ll never guess what happened. I got a boyfriend! Guess who he is! Jonghyun! No, just kidding. Fake boyfriend, unfortunately. right? It knowing we’ll never be together for real.”

---

I blinked a couple times to make sure I read it correctly. “What’s Key talking about?”  Just as those words escaped my mouth, I felt a vibration coming from the pocket in my jeans. I closed the diary, the thought of what I just read still lurking in my mind.

I slipped my phone out and saw that I had one text message from Key. “Come home now. We have an early schedule tomorrow.” I rolled my eyes as I closed the text and put it back in my pocket.

The bartended noticed my behavior and slid another shot to me. “On the house.” She said, smiling. I smiled at her and chugged it down. This went on for another half hour until I started to get tipsy.

“Whoa…” I laughed as I fell over, bumping into the people surrounding me. Some helped me up as others just chuckled at my clumsiness in the background. “I’m gonna…” I was stopped mid-sentence when I felt something coming up my throat.

My cheeks puffed up as waste filled my mouth. I ran towards the bathroom and found an open stall. Right when I reached the toilet, I opened my mouth and everything fell in the toilet with a splash. “Ew.” I said when I opened my eyes. I slumped down against the stall in attempt to stay still so the headache would vanish.

It’s no use. I stood up and walked out of the bar, clutching my stomach. I headed towards home, which didn’t take long.

I walked along the sidewalk that was covered with trees. Even though I was drunk, I still could think and I still had a conscience.

After a lot of tumbling and scraping of the knees, I finally reached the dorm. I walked up the steps and leaned against the wooden door. It seemed quiet, so I assumed everyone was asleep already. I pushed off the door and put in our code. Once in made the high pitched beep, I slammed  the door open and made my way inside.

The loud crash made its way to my head and I started to get a massive headache. I tipped over to the right, bumping into some vases and picture frames. “Aish.” I said, one hand holding onto my temples, the other resting on the wall, keeping me steady.

My eyes closed as I heard the door open in front of me. I looked up as I saw Key walking towards me, his face showing utter rage. He watched me as I fell against the wall.

*end of flashback*

I walked out of my room dressed in a muscle shirt and black skinny jeans. I entered the kitchen, the aroma of eggs, bacon, and pancakes crawl into my nose. Key noticed my presence, and I watched as his mouth was moving. I couldn’t hear the words escaping his mouth whereas I was blasting my ipod on full volume, drowning myself in the music.

When Key finished talking, I leaned forward and took out one earphone, “Huh?” I asked him, hoping he would repeat his sentence.

He sighed, annoyed at how spaced out I was. “I said, we’re all going to the beach. Do you want to come?” He had a smile so big that it reached the corners of his eyes, which made me get tiny butterflies. It made me beam with happiness that he’s the same old upbeat, exultant, overjoyed boy we all know and love.

I was just about to agree when all of a sudden, I remembered Sekyung. She wanted me to go out with her today. I opened my mouth to let everyone aware of my absence that day, but I decided to just let Sekyung slip my mind for that moment. “Sure.” I said smiling.

“Really?” Key seemed shocked at my response. Why is it so surprising that I want to hang out with my members? I nodded and Key seemed to have excitement radiating off of him. “Great! I’ll tell the others!” He flashed a smile at me, then headed off to find the rest of the members.

While he was doing that, I walked off to find my phone. I looked under my pillow and found it laying there. I grabbed it and started to text Sekyung, I knew how infuriated she would be. She was anticipating my text, wondering where we were going to go on our date.

I clicked “Sekyung <3” on my phone and began to enter my text. “Hey… I have to cancel today. I’m going out with the members.” I pressed send and scrunched my face as I awaited her reply. I threw my phone on my bed and got out my lyric book.

Just as I finished writing my 2nd stanza, I heard my ringtone bounce off the walls and echo throughout my room. I picked up my phone and looked at the caller ID. “. It’s Shin Sekyung.”

After 3 rings, I answered the call, flinching at the screams that suddenly developed at the other end of the line. “WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GO ON A DATE TODAY!” I rolled my eyes, annoyed at her ignorance.

“No. We’ve been going on dates every day the past few weeks. I need space. I need to hang out with my friends!” I yelled back at her, unaware of the people that were outside his door listening to the loud conversation.

“You know what? you and your friends.” My eyes widened at how she was acting. Why is she being like this? When we finally got together, I never knew she would expect to spend every day with me.

Just as I was about to yell back at her, I heard the dial tone come from the line. “Hello?” I said into the phone. “.” I groaned as I heard the door open, a thud following right after. I jumped up at the sudden outburst and looked towards in that direction to find Key, Taemin, Minho, and Jinki all on the floor.

I arched my eyebrows and slowly walked towards them, smirking. “Were you guys listening to my conversation?” As that question left my mouth, they popped up and started to deny it. They waved their arms in front of them and kept saying “Aniyo! Aniyo!” I decided to let it slide and asked when we were leaving.

“We were planning on leaving 5 minutes ago. They sent me here to call you but I heard you yelling on the phone…” Key announced, not wanting to get in trouble.

“Araso, let’s go.” I mumbled. Everyone seemed to back off the rest of the day, grasping the fact that I wanted to be isolated for awhile – just to process everything that happened back at the dorm.

We went to the beach. It wasn’t crowded, but it wasn’t as deserted as we thought it would be. We divided the stuff equally among us and went on our way to find a perfect spot to rest. A couple yards from the shore, we set up our umbrellas, towels, tent, and put on the sunblock.

I slid my shirt off my body as I watched as Taemin drag Minho into the water, both of them laughing on their way there. “Aigo!” Minho yelled while laughing as the icy cold salt water touched his skin, making him shiver like crazy.

I smiled at the sight as someone laid on the towel beside me, laughing at the same view as I. “Where’s Onew?” Key asked as he slid on his sunglasses and rested his head on the stack of towels below him.

“Uh, I’m not sure…” I said, as I looked around in search for him. Near the shacks, I spotted him with a girl, unfamiliar to the both of us, waiting in line at a seafood restaurant. “Oh, wait, he’s over there.” I told Key, showing him the direction of the restaurant.

“Who’s she?” Key asked, sliding his glasses down the tip of my nose. I shrugged as we studied her. She had a unique orange-blonde hair with black roots. She was carrying her purse, and her bikini top was showing, but her bottom was covered with her light blue jeaned shorts.

She occasionally looked at Onew unnoticed. Her smile was so big when she looked at him that it showed almost all her teeth. When he caught her staring, she immediately looked down, blushing like mad. I looked at Key to see if he noticed it too. He smirked as he continued to watch them.

As he watched the couple, I spent my time watching Key. Something about him seemed different. It seemed like something changed him. He seemed happier, more cheerful, and he smiled more often. As I continued to study him, he turned his head to face me. Crap, I’m caught. I shut my eyes closed as I heard someone laugh beside me.

Key was on his back, rolling in the sand, laughing as he clutched his stomach. “Oh gosh!” He couldn’t stop, which made me curious as to what was so hilarious.

“What’s so funny?” I said, clueless. He looked at me as he pointed to the ocean. I followed his finger and saw Minho flapping around in the water. The water pushed against him, forcing him back to the shore. Taemin’s eyes widened as he saw that and ran towards him.

“Minho hyung!” We heard Taemin’s scream clearly. I got up and ran toward the scene, grabbing Minho’s arm before he flew to the other side of the beach. I helped him up as he coughed up salt water. He looked down and noticed all the pieces of seaweed wrapped around him.

“Hey, are you okay?” Key asked, leaving the towels and running up to his. Minho stayed quiet for a minute until he suddenly bursted with laughter. He laughed so hard we noticed tears shedding from his eyes.

We all had confused looks on our faces, even Onew as we saw him walking toward us with the girl he was with awhile ago. “What’s going on here?” He asked once he reached us.

“Omo! That was so fun!” Minho yelled as he ran towards the ocean again, yearning for more. Taemin shrugged and chased Minho back into the water. The rest of us looked back at each other, baffled by his sudden outburst.

“Whatever.” I said, turning my attention back to Onew and the mystery girl next to him. “Onew, aren’t you going to introduce us to your new friend?”

Onew smiled as he remembered his mate that was standing awkwardly beside him. “Oh right! Guys, this is Luna. Luna, this is Key and Jonghyun. The two that ran into the water are Minho and Taemin.” He stopped talking but went closer to Luna’s ear. “Taemin’s the mushroom head and Minho’s the alien. Araso?” He joked.

Luna looked down and blushed when she suddenly acknowledged our presence. “Hi.” She said shyly, holding out her hand for us to shake. We politely shook her hand and took both of them back to our tent, opening the cooler and handing them two drinks.

 As the day went by, we found out Luna has been Onew’s girlfriend for awhile now, but they kept it a secret. They didn’t want to expose it to the media. Taemin and Minho came back awhile after we got back to our spot, tired out from all the fun they had. We had a good time and the sunset was about to come. We all started to bond and we were having a good time, until we heard a squeaky voice yell from a distance.

Everyone in our group turned our heads to find someone we didn’t want to spend time with. “Sekyung?” I questioned as I recognized the figure. “What the hell is she doing here?” I looked back and saw Key roll his eyes as everyone else sighed.

We all watched as she stumbled over in the sand. She was wearing heels and we were trying our best to contain our laughter. When she was a couple feet away from us, I got up and held her hand, trying to keep her steady. “Sekyung, why are you here?” I blurted out, annoyed by her appearance.

“What? A girl can’t visit her boyfriend?” She squealed, wrapping her arms around me.

I slowly took off her hands and said, “Err…” Suddenly at a loss of words, I looked back at Key for help.

“Our manager didn’t want anyone else to come.” Key told her, helping my requests.

Her eyes diverted to Luna, glaring at her. “What about her?” She said, attitude was obvious in her tone. All of us looked at Luna as she stepped back, a little intimidated by Sekyung.

“She was an exception.” I simply told her. “Plus, I wanted to just hang out with my members today. No offense.”

Sekyung gaped at me, her shocked face turning into a scowl. “I’m offended.” She said as she strutted off. We watched as she tripped several times and once she hit the sidewalk, her heel came off. We all exploded with laughter as she looked back and saw us, glaring at the sight.

As the rest laughed and continued on with our picnic, I noticed Sekyung take out her phone and called someone. She went to her car that was parked right across from us, a smirk drawn on her face. “What is she up to?” I asked myself.

Taemin overheard me and asked, “Who are you talking to?” He smiled at me and followed my stare. He nodded and admitted that he never really was a fan of her.

“No one likes her hyung.” Taemin confessed to me. “I wouldn’t be surprised if she came up with a plan.” He shrugged and turned his back to me, continuing to talk to the members and Luna.

My eyes were glued to Sekyung’s pink Buggy, and watched her drive off, the smirk still on her face.