Healing Process

The Color of Love

09. Yellow

 

 

    Kyungsoo's eyes softly fluttered open and once his vision cleared of sleep, all of the events of yesterday dawned on him at once. The headache and nausea from not eating those few days along with aches from the beatings and bruises he had acquired just made him feel that much worse. Only then did he notice that he was no longer on the cold cement floor of his basement anymore, but in fact on a plush mattress while a thick white and very warm duvet covered his body. Confused, he tried to push himself off of the bed, only to be restricted by the waist. His head snapped to the right to see that he wasn't alone, but accompanied by a tired looking Jongin.

 

    "Don't be scared, you're safe here."

 

    Kyungsoo let his body relax under the other’s feather like touch and snuggle into Jongin's strong, warm chest. "I'm sorry I put you through all of that." Their voices were only just above whispers, yet both of them were oblivious to the reason behind their hushed tones. "When I told you that I'd protect you, I meant it." Kyungsoo pulled back slightly to get a good look at Jongin and his stomach sank at the sight of the nasty, violet shade that tinted his throat. Cautiously outlining the shape of the hand that wrapped around Jongin’s throat with delicate fingers, Kyungsoo felt horrified yet at the same time thankful that he went through all the trouble, just to save him. He still couldn't help but feel a bit guilty though. "At what cost, though?"

 

    "At your cost." Jongin took Kyungsoo's hand in his own and laced their fingers together. Jongin then brought their joined hands up to his lips and gently but boldly brushed his lips against Kyungsoo's knuckles. From the corner of his eye, Jongin watched Kyungsoo's cheeks highlight with color and he couldn't help the reaction his chest underwent. A quiet knock at the door interrupted their intimate moment. 

 

    “Jongin-ah.” A small figured middle-aged woman with long black hair and wise eyes, that held many stories of trials and tribulations as well as stories of good fortune and happiness that came with the years she acquired, appeared from behind the closed door with a gentle smile adorning her thin lips. “I made some food for you boys. I’ll bring it to you, if you’re ready to eat.” Jongin let go of Kyungsoo’s hand to stand in front of the nice woman. Kyungsoo wondered if that was Jongin’s mother. If she was, then there was a rather stark contrast in their demeanors. “You didn’t have to do that, Ajumma.” Ajumma...? So this woman isn’t Jongin’s mother?

 

    “Of course I did. And what did I tell you about calling me Ajumma? I’ve been with you for six years. Call me Umma. Now, get your friend up so he can eat. After that, I’ll bandage him up and put some cream on those nasty bruises.”

 

    “Neh, Umma.” Jongin returned to his spot on the bed next to Kyungsoo. The smaller boy snuggled right up to his chest, and Jongin wrapped protective arms the smaller body before him. Kyungsoo had so many questions to ask about the woman, but Jongin spoke first. “Do you think you can walk?” Kyungsoo nodded and attempted to get up, but the discomfort was just too much. Jongin instantly took notice and caught the smaller boy before he fell. He then gently sat Kyungsoo down on the bed. “Don’t worry. I’ll carry you.” Kyungsoo was once again delicately swooped into Jongin’s arms, bridal style. That lovely hue of pink, that Jongin loved so much, covered his swollen cheeks for the second time that day.

 

    “Jongin...” Kyungsoo’s soft voice called out to him as he was carried through the house. Jongin hummed softly to show he was paying attention. “That woman. Who is she?” Reluctance to answer the question was written all over Jongin’s face. Kyungsoo could feel Jongin slowly shutting him out as he watched Jongin's eyes grow dark. “I’ll... I’ll tell you later.” They were both silent for the rest of the journey to the dinner table. Upon reaching the table, Kyungsoo was surprised to see the vast array of foods covering it. He promptly remembered that his father had him locked in a basement without food or water for two, maybe three days. He had lost count. The immediate onset hunger was virtually unbearable. Jongin lightly set Kyungsoo down and took the seat right next to him.

 

    The woman that called herself Jongin’s mother, came out of the kitchen carrying a tray that held what looked to be cups of tea. After placing the contents of the tray on the table, she turned in order to speak to Kyungsoo. “I know you must be hungry, sweetheart, so eat as much as you’d like. Just don’t make yourself sick, okay? Take your time, and I’m sorry for not introducing myself earlier. My name is SuHwa. I’m Jongin’s mother.” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened at the revelation. Didn’t Jongin call her ‘ajumma’ earlier? Kyungsoo looked to Jongin to verify if what the woman was saying was true. Jongin gave no more than a short nod and mouthed ‘later’ to him.

 

    It was Kyungsoo’s turn to introduce himself. “M-my name is Do K-Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo did his best to bow respectfully and SuHwa presented the nervous boy with another one of her gentle smiles. “There’s no need for you to be scared anymore, Kyungsoo-ah. Jongin told me a little about what happened while you were still sleeping, and I know for a fact that he will protect you.” Kyungsoo felt his cheeks redden with embarrassment at her kind words. He looked over to see that Jongin’s cheeks too had changed in color significantly.

 

    After dinner, Kyungsoo found himself sitting on Jongin’s bed while SuHwa treated his injuries just as she promised. She skillfully applied antiseptic cream and the bandages to his face and body all the while quietly tutting to herself. “This is as much as I can do for you. Now, I want you to take these painkillers and give your body some much-needed rest. You’ll be staying here from now on, so make yourself at home, sweetie.” Kyungsoo was surprised that SuHwa had so willingly offered her home to him. Until now, he hadn’t been aware of the fact that there was no way that he could possibly return to his house. He felt very thankful towards her. “Th-thank you SuHwa-ssi.” SuHwa clicked her tongue at Kyungsoo. “You can call me Umma, too.” At this, Jongin interceded for Kyungsoo. “Umma, thanks for everything. You can go now.”

 

    "Not without changing your bandage as well." Kyungsoo's eyes shot to Jongin who just sighed silently. When he made his way over to SuHwa, Kyungsoo's eyes followed, seeing a bandage covering the back of Jongin's neck. “Alright alright. I know when I’ve overstayed my welcome. You boys get some rest now okay.” Suhwa packed up the first aid kit and left the two boys alone for the rest of the night.

 After closing his door, Jongin returned to his previous spot on the bed. When Jongin returned, Kyungsoo immediately snuggled into his warm chest and allowed himself to unwind. Their silence was comforting. “I...” Jongin started to speak but was hesitant in his approach. “I know you have a lot of questions, but..... but I think it would be best if you just let me talk.” Kyungsoo twisted his body until he was face to face with Jongin, indicating that the younger man had his full, undivided attention. “Uhm... okay..... uhh..”

 

     “It’s okay. Take your time.” Jongin did exactly that. About eleven minutes, several deep sighs, a series of staggered breaths and an encouraging squeeze later, Jongin was ready to talk.

 

    “When I was eight, my mother had gotten the news that my father had heart cancer. He had Cardiac Rhabdomyosarcomas. It is a very rare and aggressive type of cancer, but I was only told minor details and did not know of the seriousness. The doctors didn’t give him much time to live, but did the best they could to save him. He went through various bouts of chemotherapy and had surgery twice, but the cancer was spreading to other areas of his heart. Because he was getting worse, he became a permanent resident at the hospital. My mother and my sisters kept telling me that he would be fine and that he would get out of the hospital soon, but it was clear that as time went on, it wasn't getting better. He was getting worse. I remember the times when my mother would take me to visit him how he was hooked up to so many monitors and IVs. He looked so weak and fragile; he was completely different from the man I knew to be my father.”

 

    Jongin had to stop and regain himself before continuing with the story.

 

    “He lived for about a year and ten months after the initial diagnosis. It was Christmas Eve and my mother, my sisters and I went to visit him. Everything started out fine. He was in a good mood and said that he was feeling better that day. We were all smiling and laughing. Just having a good time like we used to. It gave me hope that he would be able to come home soon, but I... I was highly mistaken. It started as a small cough. He had said that he just needed to clear his throat, so we got him some water. Then, he started coughing really badly. It sounded like his lungs were falling apart. All of a sudden his heart rate skyrocketed and he was coughing up blood....”

 

    Jongin took another moment to gather himself, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath while trying to fight off his emotions. 

 

    “I know this sounds cliche, but everything happened so fast. My mom called for help and then my sisters were trying to take me out of the room. I didn’t want to leave my dad’s side though, so I tried to fight them. Nurses rushed into our room with all of this strange equipment. My dad’s coughing got worse and then the doctor was yelling commands. They were trying to stabilize him but nothing worked. There were too many people in the room. The nurses pushed us out so they could work on my dad. My mom was crying. She called my sister over and whispered something in her ear. Then she came to me and started pulling me to the exit. I was so distracted that I only caught parts of what she was saying to me. Even now, I can’t remember what she said. My mom and my other sister stayed at the hospital. The drive back to my house was so quiet. I could only think about my dad and how he might be dying. When I got home, I went to my room. I figured that if I went to sleep, when I woke up everything would be fine again. I couldn’t sleep though, not with the knowledge that my father was in fact dying. I left my room to go talk to my sister in hopes of being able to be comforted by her, but when I reached the stairs, she was on the phone with my mother.”

 

    At this point in the story, one lone tear slowly slid from Jongin’s eye down his cheek. Kyungsoo had known from the beginning that this was something that left a deep impression on Jongin, but he really wasn’t prepared for this. Only twice had Jongin shown his weaker side to Kyungsoo, once during their fight in the rain and the other when they were in Kyungsoo’s mother’s garden. Even those times Jongin never got emotional enough to cry. This side of Jongin wasn’t particularly new but it was so unexpected. It wasn’t completely unwelcome either. Just very different.

 

    “I know she didn’t hear me coming down the steps because she still had her back facing me. She was crying into the phone and I could tell because she was choking back her sobs. She was talking to my mother on the other end and she was crying so hard and I could barely make out what she was saying. Then she said something along the lines of 'He’s really gone'. I knew my father was going to die, but I still chose to cling to the little hope that I had that he might just make it. That entire year, I prayed to every deity and higher power I knew to pray to, begging for my father’s life. Hearing my sister say that he was gone made something inside of me click. I found out something about the world that no child my age should ever have to live through. All of a sudden I was filled will irrational despise and anger. I had realized how sick and dark the world really was. My sisters and my mother had told me that Dad was going to be okay, he’d even said so himself. But they all lied to me; they knew he was going to die. It was just the matter of when. I hated them all for not telling me the truth about how bad he actually was. Now that I look back on it, I can't believe how foolish I was. 

 

    I no longer believed in God or Allah or Buddha or anything else that I prayed to for my father’s health, for the simple reason that they couldn't save him. I never had asked for much, but to be rejected the one thing I was so desperate for, I was denied. My whole world collapsed when he had died. I did not just experience the loss of my father; I had loss my mentor, my best friend and the man I wanted to be like when I grew up. When all of that was snatched from me, I had no reason to live. I just wanted to die, but I when I tried, I was found out and put on a constant watch by judging eyes. I withdrew myself from everything from then on. At his funeral, I found myself to be almost emotionless. Everyone around me was crying and mourning his loss while I sat there straight-faced. I was furious at the fact that neither one of my sisters decided to show up to the funeral. I still don't know why today. We got in a huge fight over it, but I refused to hear their excuses. It was about three weeks after the funeral when I had enough and left my house. I could not be there anymore, especially with my mother trying to pretend like nothing ever happened. I had run away without a clue to where I was going or what I was going to do. I was only ten then, too young to live on my own. I was out on the streets for about three days before SuHwa found me and took me in as if I were one of her own. She felt like more of a mother to me than my real mother ever did. I had told her why I ran away after a year of being with her. She never even knew who my father was but when I told her, she cried like she had lost someone dear to her too. I’ve been here with her ever since.”

 

    Somehow, Jongin found himself pressed against Kyungsoo’s small chest, his hands clutching the back of his shirt while tears spilled from his eyes silently. He’d only ever shown this side of him to SuHwa before, and he was amazed at how comfortable Kyungsoo’s presence could make him feel at times like this. Kyungsoo had his arms wrapped around Jongin, rocking them both back and forth while Kyungsoo softly pet his hair. In some ways, he could relate to Jongin’s story. He had lost a parent at a tender age, and that left a deep scar on him as well. He went through some of the same things Jongin went through, too. Jongin’s confession had connected them on a deeper level. Jongin could feel Kyungsoo chest trembling. He looked up to see that the smaller boy had been crying as well. “Why are you crying?”

 

    Jongin couldn’t comprehend why Kyungsoo was crying. Does he truly understand what I had to go through or does he just feel sorry for me? The idea that Kyungsoo just felt sorry for him without any compassion made Jongin angry. “I understand how you feel. When I lost my mother, I thought that I had nothing to live for and that I’d rather be dead. I had no choice but to look on the bright side of things, even though there was none. I’ve been doing that ever since she died.” This made Jongin curious about Kyungsoo’s past. Since he had told Kyungsoo about his, he felt that it was only fair that Kyungsoo return the favor.

 

    “So, tell me your story.”

  

    Kyungsoo wasn’t surprised that Jongin wanted to know about his past as well; he wasn’t prepared to go into details like Jongin had. “It’s really long...” Jongin wiped at his face, done with his tears and maneuvered them around so that Kyungsoo was now sitting in his lap, cradled to his chest. “It’s alright. We have all night.” Kyungsoo couldn’t find where to begin. This was so much harder than he thought it was going to be. “Start from the beginning. I’m here for you.” Kyungsoo opted to start at the very beginning.

 

    “My mother was 18 and fresh out of high school when she met my father. He was 24 at the time. They fell madly in love, so when they found out she was pregnant with me two years later, they decided to get married. My father worked for a very successful business and had enough money to support all three of us, but when I was five, he lost his job when the company went bankrupt. We ended up having to move out of our house into a smaller apartment because he could no longer afford to pay the mortgage. My mother got a job as a florist so we could keep our apartment. My father felt ashamed that he couldn’t support me and my mother so he ended up turning to alcohol. My mother hated him for that. He had told her when I was born that he would be a better father to me than his father was to him, but he was making the same mistakes. His father became an alcoholic too, and died four years earlier from liver cancer. My mother didn’t want that to be him and she threatened to leave. She never did though. They had argued about it all the time and they would have yelling matches with each other over the stupidest things. They would throw things and curse. It was only when he started to get violent with her that she finally had enough. 

 

    I was six when she woke me up in the middle of the night, she had told me to get dressed because we were going to grandma and grandpa’s house while she was packing a bag for me. We only made it to the front door before my father grabbed her hair and pulled her back into the house. They were screaming at each other so loudly, and I was terrified. He kept demanding to know where she was taking me. She told him that she was taking me away because I didn’t deserve to have an alcoholic as a father and she didn’t deserve to have one as a husband. After she said that he slapped her in the face and told her that she wasn’t taking me anywhere. The fight only escalated from there. She had hit him back and then he grabbed her neck and slammed her into the wall. She tried to fight him but he was too strong. I could only stand there and watch her with tears in my eyes. I remember running to him and trying to get him off her, but he just slapped me away as if it was nothing.”

 

    Kyungsoo took a shaky breath before he continued. Jongin's hold became tighter slightly, silently encouraging him. 

 

    “Her face was turning purple and you could see her veins almost popping out. I wanted nothing more in that moment than to be strong enough to get my father away from her but eventually he let her go. She had slid down the wall trying to catch her breath, her hands gripping at as if trying to make more air go to her lungs. I ran to her crying and she held me in her arms and after a few minutes of deep breaths she was able to stand up. My dad was walking back to the bedroom and then my mom spit on the back of his head and called him a piece of . He whipped around so fast and grabbed her by the neck again while he called her an ungrateful . There was this glass table in the middle of the room, and he took her and slammed her head right through it. When her head connected with the table there was a sickening crash then a thud and then she wasn’t moving anymore. I remember crying louder and louder when I saw blood coming from her head. I ran to the phone to call 119, but I forgot that earlier that week he ripped it right out of the wall when my mom threatened to call the cops. That was the first time he almost killed her.

 

     We moved out of that apartment after my mom got better. My father said that the neighbors were too nosy. At our new apartment, my parents didn’t fight as often as they used to. I think that was partly due to the fact that my mother was absolutely terrified of my father and she spoke her mind less. A few months after moving into the new apartment, my father got a job at a factory. About a year later he started going to AA meetings. When I was nine, he promised my mother that he would be sober from then on and she believed him. He was doing a good job at keeping his promise, too. I thought everything was getting back to normal, but that was the wrong assumption to make. I had no clue he was still hitting her. She still had her job as a florist so he never left bruises anywhere people could see them. But I saw them one night when I should have been sleeping. They were arguing about money or something like that when he reached across the table and hit her and told her that she was being stupid. She was crying and he raised his hand to hit her again, but stopped. He yelled at me to go back to bed even though I was carefully hidden around a corner. I don’t know how he knew I was watching them, but he did. The only things that I remember from the rest of that year was that they fought whenever I went to bed and my father got more and more violent, even though he stopped drinking.”

 

    Kyungsoo stopped again and stared off into space for a few moments. Jongin patiently waited while rubbing his back in soothing circles. After a few silent minutes and a deep sigh from Kyungsoo, he continued. 

 

    “About a month after I turned ten, my mother got into a car accident and died. She was trying to run away from my dad again. I guess you can say that she got away. . . She just left me behind. I know she didn’t want to leave me, she told me so herself. It was when my father was working a double shift at the factory, she came into my room and told me that her and I were going to leave soon. I asked her what she was talking about and she told me that she had been putting away some money since she had gotten a job just in case. She was telling how she had enough money for a security deposit on an apartment and the first three months’ rent. She told me that the apartment she rented was near a park and that I could be able to have friends my own age, how she was going to start her very own garden and sell flowers. She told me how it was just going to be the two of us and that we would be safe, all those wonderful things, and I was very excited to leave. We had a plan of how we were going to get away from my father. She was going to leave in the morning, pretending to go to work when in reality she quit her job so he couldn’t come looking for us. She was going to pick me up from school and give the principal my transfer papers. Then, we would go to the new apartment and that was it. When the day came for us to leave, I waited after school for her to pick me up, but she never came for me so I had to walk home by myself.

 

    Tears started to fall from Kyungsoo's eyes while small sniffle sounds and soft whimpers filled the room.  

 

    "When I got home, I heard my dad crying. I remember asking him what was wrong, he told me that my mom got in a car accident and that she was dead. I just wanted to die after hearing the news. I knew that there was no way I would ever be safe without her around. After that, he started drinking again, even heavier than before. It was so disgusting. He turned all of his violence and anger towards me, and he started hitting me then. He told me it was because he knew that I could do better, and I was dumb enough to believe him. Later I found out it was because I look so much like my mom that he hated me for it. He beat me in the same way he did my mother. He would leave bruises where they weren’t visible, but as the years went on, he started getting careless. Leaving bruises all over my face and body, we had to move again because the neighbors were concerned with the amount of bruises I had. Even today, for whatever reason, I can’t force myself to be angry with him for everything that he’s done. I know that he’s hurting just as well. My mother would always tell me how he worried about being a good father to me. How he never wanted to be like his father, but the apple didn’t fall very far from the tree, I suppose. I know he regrets everything he’s ever done to my mother and I, but he couldn’t stop himself. I know he wanted to stop before things got worse. I’m just glad that you were there to save me. I couldn’t thank you enough.”

 

    Jongin watched Kyungsoo's lips turn into a small sad smile while tears fell from his eyes. Kyungsoo's glistening brown eyes met with Jongin's serious but gentle ones. The world seemed to slow and quite around them. Each of them barely breathing with the intimate air surrounding them. Kyungsoo didn't even flinch as Jongin placed a warm and loving palm onto his flushed cheek, rather he did the opposite and leaned into it. Jongin leaned in until their noses were almost brushing together and Kyungsoo could feel Jongin's breath tickle his bottom lip.

 

    "If you heal me, I'll heal you." Jongin seemed so delicate, Kyungsoo's heart was fluttering like crazy. Kyungsoo couldn't even reply, so he just lightly nodded. "Close your eyes." Jongin's hand slowly moved from Kyungsoos cheek to his neck. Jongin was going to give everything to Kyungsoo. All that he had, all that he could obtain. Every single last drop of himself would be Kyungsoo's. The smaller let his eyes flutter shut and with one last shaky breath. Kyungsoo was absolutely breathtaking to Jongin, from his rosy cheeks to his trembling lips. "Tonight will be the night that I will fall for you." With that said, Jongin closed the distance between them and pressed his lips against Kyungsoo's. A small, innocent peck of the lips then Jongin pulled back, returning his palm to Kyungsoo's now burning cheek.

 

    It was a moment or two before Kyungsoo opened his eyes again and saw Jongin with a small smile. The first smile he's ever seen on those full lips and it was so beautiful. Kyungsoo couldn't stop the butterflies in his stomach from going on a rampage, and without realizing it; he was smiling the exact smile that had captured Jongin in the first place. Jongin watched Kyungsoo's eyes smile back at him and he wondered how on earth did he become so blessed with this beautiful creature before him. The fragile, innocent Kyungsoo who was now touching his lips with flushed cheeks and a shy smile. 
 
    "Stay by my side, Kyungsoo."

 

    "Forever, Jongin."