Blizzard

The Color of Love

 

02. White

 

    A week had passed by since Kyungsoo had entered the school, and it had been everything but peaceful. 

 

    Kyungsoo clutched his books to his chest while he spun the combination to his locker. Once the door swung open, a bag of flour exploded all over the poor unsuspecting boy. He coughed as he accidentally inhaled the particles and started desperately fanning away the dust that filled the air. “That’s what you get freak boy!” Kyungsoo sighed a small relief as he heard the laughter disappear down the hall. Now, all he had to worry about were his clothes.  He looked down at what was once a blue shirt, now white with flour.

 

    Such a waste of flour. This much flour could've made some delicious cookies. I mean re-
 
 
    A sudden cough snapped Kyungsoo out of his thoughts. He looked up to see Jongin, leaning against his locker with a lollipop stick hanging from in between those lips Kyungsoo has questioned to be very y. He wouldn't deny the sun kissed skinned boy was handsome, at least in his mind. With a small yet audible pop, Jongin pulled the small green lollipop from his mouth and pointed it at the smaller boy. “Bullies?” There was something Jongin hated more than the bullies that picked on poor Kyungsoo. It was how Kyungsoo smiled about the misfortunes that blessed him. He smiled happily. It was stupid and confusing to Jongin. It was also something he secretly envied.
 
 
    “It’s nothing to smile about.”
 
 
    Kyungsoo’s smile instantly vanished as he watched Jongin walk away looking a bit ticked off. He sighed deeply to himself. He didn't mean to make Jongin mad. He was just trying to see the bright side of it, even though there wasn’t one. He frowned while he reached over to pick up his bag and make his way to the bathroom to wash up. Looking at himself in the mirror , his hair and uniform covered in flour, Kyungsoo smiled dishonestly while tears welled up in his eyes. He didn’t like being bullied. He didn’t like being covered with flour, water, food or whatever it was that day. He didn’t like coming home in different clothes and his father questioning him about what he’d done that day. He didn’t like covering the bruises that decorated his body with makeup. But what could he do? He felt the only hope, the only happiness, was Jongin. It was odd, yes, but for some reason, it didn’t need an explanation. He was content with being by the others side.
 
 
     Once cleaned up, Kyungsoo glanced at his watch. It was a few minutes into their lunch hour. Kyungsoo peeked out of the bathroom to see the hallways deserted. Smiling to himself, he scurried to the nearest stairway that led to the roof. With his bag strap clenched tightly in his fist, he hurried up the stairs, with his heart racing in his chest. 
 
 
    Jongin heard the door open behind him and he didn’t need to turn back to know who it was. It was the only person who knew that this was his lunch spot. Someone who purposely followed him up here one day and has ate here ever since. Not that he minded. Kyungsoo sat next to Jongin whose eyes reflected the beautiful clear sky. “Jongin-ah, I-I’ve made you lunch.” Kyungsoo pulled out a small black lunch box, opened it, set everything and placed the spare chopsticks on top of the rice. After watching Jongin not eat lunch for a whole week, Kyungsoo couldn’t stand it anymore. He wanted him to eat. It looked like he was wasting away (to Kyungsoo anyway).


    “I’m not sure what you like but I-“


    “It’s delicious.”
 
 
    Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, and he felt his cheeks heat up while he watched Jongin eat quickly, as if he was starving and hasn’t eaten since who knows when. Unknowingly, Kyungsoo’s smile widened even more. “I think you are an ice prince.” Jongin shot a look over to Kyungsoo, not an angry one, but one of genuine confusion. “You remind me of the snow, well a blizzard is more like it. Very harsh and colorless but very majestic and beautiful if watched from afar.” Jongin brought the lunchbox closer to his face to hide his warming cheeks. He was used to compliments, but nothing like that. Kyungsoo’s seemingly perfect smile didn’t help either. He found himself growing more and more curious. He knew he was entering a danger zone, and he had to constantly fight with himself.
 
 
    Don’t get close to him! Something bad will happen...It always does...
 
 
    “Jongin?”
 
 
    He snapped out of his thoughts to see Kyungsoo handing him a strawberry milk carton.  He nodded slightly, set down the finished rice compartment of the lunch box and grabbed the milk carton. They both looked up at the endless sky, hoping, wishing, and dreaming for the same and different things. Kyungsoo, for peace, happiness and to stay like this with Jongin forever. For Jongin, love, hope and to have Kyungsoo forever at his side. He was so used to being alone, he had forgotten what it was like to have a companion. He usually kept his distance from people, but with Kyungsoo, everything was different.
 
 
    “Thank you.”
 
 
    Kyungsoo looked over to Jongin, puzzled. Jongin’s face showed the same stone expression as it always did, showing no indication that he spoke. He hadn’t meant to speak out loud, but his lips betrayed him. Thankfully, Kyungsoo just smiled, and decided not to question him.  While Kyungsoo’s gaze returned to the endless sky, Jongin couldn’t help but notice another badly covered bruise directly under Kyungsoo’s small delicate jaw line. It was in a different spot than when he had first met him. Jongin couldn’t decide whether it was from the bullies or someone else and it bothered him. A lot. 
 
 
    “Kyun-“ Before he could finish, the bell had rung, signifying that their lunch hour was closing and that they had seven minutes to get to class. Jongin watched Kyungsoo gently pick up his lunch box and put it away. Jongin wondered if he should even bring up the matter at all. He pondered if Kyungsoo would even tell him. Jongin wasn’t exactly sure if he cared or not. When it came to Kyungsoo, everything was… confusing, to be put simply. "What's wrong?”
 

    Jongin spared a glance at smaller boy who looked worried.

 

    Why are you concerned? You don’t even know me.
 

    Jongin wasn’t sure if he was angry or … grateful? He didn’t know how to explain the feeling he had for the small yet older male before him. All he knew was that he wanted him by his side always. “I’m fine.” He watched Kyungsoo’s plump lips turn into an upward smile while his eyes turned into crescent moons. That smile. That smile was the smile that Jongin cursed the most. That was the smile that made Jongin’s heart accelerate slightly and make his insides heat up. It was the smile that made the world stop for just a few seconds, but it was enough for him.


    “Kyungsoo-ah.”
 
 
    It was the first time the others name left his lips. It left a slightly sweet taste on his tongue. He wanted more of it. “Hm?" Kyungsoo hummed and looked down, as he was standing up and was dusting off his pants. Jongin followed, standing up and handing the lunchbox to the smaller. Their hands lightly brushed together and sparks ignited within both boys, only Kyungsoo felt breathless while Jongin was wondering what in the world it was that he felt. Kyungsoo quickly turned his back to Jongin, to hide the blush from his cheeks. Jongin was a bit disappointed and, before he could part his lips and speak once more, the bell rang. “We’re going to be late!” Kyungsoo darted across the roof and to the door, avoiding Jongin’s face to hide his embarrassment. Jongin stood there for a few moments, while the words he wanted to speak died on the tip of his tongue.  On the opposite side of the door stood a flustered Kyungsoo, gripping at his chest to calm his rapidly beating heart.
 
 
    Our fingers just brushed…why am I feeling this way? He’s a boy. He’s Jongin, my dongsaeng. My precio- No! He’s just a classmate…


    Kyungsoo snapped back into reality when he heard the doorknob turning. He quickly ran to the staircase, only to trip clumsily over his own foot. Kyungsoo quickly closed his eyes and prepared for the worst, but instead of falling forwards, he tumbled backwards. When he opened his eyes, he expected to be pressed on the ground hurting somewhere but instead, he was pressed against a broad chest covered with a light black hoodie. He looked up to see Jongin, a slightly pained expression etched his face and one of his hands rubbed the back of his head. The other, wrapped around Kyungsoo’s waist. The smaller boy could feel his face heating up intensely and his head becoming dizzy with embarrassment.

 
    “You okay?”


    Kyungsoo’s head lifted up with help from Jongin’s hand under his chin. The taller boy inspecting the other’s pink face. With the words stuck in his throat, he nodded quickly then remembered the other boys sacrifice. His smaller hands quickly moved to the boys head, startling Jongin slightly in the process. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?” There was a small bump, but a small price to pay rather than a broken bone or two.


    “I’m fine.”


    “Are you sure?”


    “Hyung.”


    “Maybe we should go to the nur-“
 

    Jongin pressed his index finger against Kyungsoo’s lips to shush him. He removed it seconds later and ruffled the boy’s hair affectionately. Kyungsoo hoped that Jongin didn’t hear his heart pounding against his ribs, threatening to break free. “I’m fine.” Jongin was the first to get up and dust off his black jeans. He started down the stairs, leaving Kyungsoo dazed.

 

    Maybe under all that ice, there’s something warmer?


    “Hyung?”


    Snapped out of his thoughts, Kyungsoo saw Jongin at the bottom of the stairwell, waiting for him. A smile graced his lips as he quickly stood and this time, carefully went down the stairs to join Jongin.


    I hope the blizzard clears to reveal the beautiful garden soon.