Chapter 1

JUST Best Friends?
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

My eyes popped open. It was 5:30.  In an hour and fifteen minutes I’d be starting my Junior year at the new high school.  Built to relieve overcrowding,  I was one of the “fortunate” ones to move over.  As I slipped on the Blue polo shirt and slacks that the uniform required,  I thought about my friends, and most specifically my cousin who got to stay at the old high school where we all went the previous year.  I hoped her day would go well. 

Glanced at the clock again. 25 minutes till my bus came.  Grabbed my turquoise earrings I had gotten the week before for my birthday and put them in. Yes, the curling iron is ready.  Quickly fixing my hair before dashing to the kitchen for breakfast, I breathed a quick prayer that the whole day would go well. It had to well.  If it didn’t the rest of high school would probably too.

Crap. I got 10 minutes. My umma greeted me with a camera. “Aigoo my baby’s going to her new high school today. Let me take a quick picture. Yah! Get in here! Take a picture. You look lovely today!”

“UMMA! I HAVE TO GO NOW.” I ran out the door and down to road. This was it. Time to make new chapter in life.

I scanned the halls of this newly built school.  Everything was so new. TVs, smartboards, fancy chairs that lean back, and windows facing the city landscape.  It was new, it was perfect.  If only my friends were here.

My first class, Chinese, was canceled. It wasn’t even on campus! WHAT THE HECK. Oh well. I missed that class. Trudging up to the third floor, I began to look for my next class. Math class. Algebra II, here I come. Yay. Not. I quickly walked in and sat down in the second row. Not too close, but close enough to make a good impression. I began looking at the people trickling in. Then, I saw him.

He took my breath away. Is it this possible for anyone to look this good? I have to find out his name today. Don’t stare. It’s not nice to stare. But oh. my. Gosh…I haven’t seen a Korean in this school all day. Shoot, there were only 3 at my last school and that had over THREE THOUSAND STUDENTS. God must love me today. He is GORGEOUS.

I had moved from Seoul, South Korea to America 3 years ago.  I visit once a year, but I always miss Korea.  I’ve adjusted to life quite well here in the States, but with barely any other Asians in the area where I live, it was hard for me to make friends. 

“I’m going to call roll now.  If your name is not called, please come forward and show me your schedule.  Jessica Adams…”

Oh I’m so glad I’m at the beginning of the alphabet.  Cho. Ri An Cho’s the

Please log in to read the full chapter