Chapter 2

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93p_-UBEv8

 

The sun was shining and a cool breeze was blowing outside.

"Are you nearly ready? We need to leave soon to beat the Saturday traffic!" Doojoon called to Mi-Young from the hallway of their apartment they brought together 2 years ago.

Mi-Young came out of the bedroom and cheerfully walked down the hallway towards Doojoon dressed in a navy maxi dress and sandals. It was Saturday and Doojoon and Mi-Young to join Doojoon's sister Yoo-Ra and her famaily for lunch at their home on the outskirts of Seoul. Ever since her divorce with Yoochun, Mi-Young hadn't once spoken to her sister Eun-Bi, which meant that she had no family left who she could spend time with or lean on so she considers Doojoon's family her own too.

Doojoon's black BMW pulled into Yoo-Ra's driveway and out climbed Doojoon and Mi-Young.

Knock knock knock

The front door opened slowly and shyly appeared a 5 year old girl wearing a pale pink dress with a flower in her long brown curly hair.

As soon as she realised who it was, her face lit up and she squeeled, "Sukbu~~!" Doojoon opened his arms wide and his niece leapt into them. He spun her round in a circle with excitement and then gently put her back on the ground. She turned to Mi-Young and cutely smiled with a wave and a polite bow, "annyeonghasayo."

Mi-Young bent down to her level and waved back sweetly, "Kwon Naeun, you've gotten so beautiful."

"Thank you unnie!" Naeun beamed.

"Where's your twin brother?" Doojoon asked.

"He's in the kitchen helping daddy."

"Naeun go and help your father set the table outside and let your uncle and his girlfriend in," Doojoon's sister called through the hallway whilst walking towards them and shooed Naeun off.

"How's my baby brother and the love of his life?" she kissed him on the cheek and hugged Mi-Young.

"We're good," Mi-Young replied and passed her a dish, "here. We brought you dessert. I know how much you guys like chapssaltteok."

"Thanks. That's very sweet of you. Here, come in, come in," Yoo-Ra motioned and lead them into the kitchen.

In their homely kitchen, Yoo-Ra's husband was on the patio with Naeun setting up the table for lunch whilst Doojoon began helping Naeun's twin brother Min-Seok prepare the salad, messily.

"So how have you been Mi-Young?" Yoo-Ra poured a glass of white wine and handed it to her sister-in-law.

"Good. We've both been good actually. Doojoon's been busy at the gallery and I've been helping at the orphanage everyday this week."

"Has he proposed yet?" Yoo-Ra casually asked.

"Sis!" Doojoon shouted.

Mi-Young stood there stunned by the awkward question.

"Erm..." she nervously giggled, "we're in no rush."

"I know but still, you two are the perfect couple." Yoo-Ra beamed and walked outside to her daughter and husband. "Lunch is ready!" she called from the garden.

Doojoon picked up Min-Seok and carried him outside. Mi-Young smiled to herself and thought about how lucky she was to be included in such a perfect family and to have such a loving boyfriend next to her. She walked outside to join them.

The 6 of them sat round the garden table and enjoyed a delicious lunch of fish and salad as the sun shone brightly.

Throughout the entire meal there was lots of laughing, chatting and drinking.

"Mi-Young," Naeun said suddenly, "when are you going to have a baby?"

Mi-Young began choking on her food upon hearing Doojoon's niece's sudden request. She wiped with her napkin and looking at her boyfriend. "Well sweetie," she turned back to Naeun who was looking at her brightly, "marriage comes before having babies, Naeun."

"I can give the baby my toys. I won't mind."

"Naeun darling, that's enough." Yoo-Ra stated.

After lunch everyone cleared the table and Mi-Young went to play with the children outside in the garden whilst Doojoon, Yoo-Ra and her husband washed up in the kitchen.

"So, how's it going with the love of your life?"

"Noona, I see you every week nearly, and you still ask the exact same question." Doojoon chuckled.

"Well...? Still haven't popped the question yet then?" She said, expecting an answer.

"No! I've told you already!"

"I know but you guys have been best friends forever, apart from that small blib you had in the middle but that was nothing. And you've dating for 3 years!"

"Can you just drop it alright? We're just not a that place yet," Doojoon replied, beginning to get annoyed.

"Look, I'm sorry but I just think she's the perfect girl for you. I only care, Doojoon," Yoo-Ra repeated.

"Have you two really not thought about marriage at all?"

"Of course I've thought about it," he explained, "it's just such a big commitment."

"Do you not want to spend the rest of your life with her? What are you waiting for?" Yoo-Ra's husband added.

Doojoon thought about what his sister and her husband said for a moment before deciding in his head he needed to pop the question sooner or later. He looked outside to see Mi-Young running around laughing with Naeun and Min-Seok who had bright smiles on their faces also. Doojoon watched her intently with admiration thinking what a perfect wife and mother she would make.

*I'd have to propose to her first.*