Chapter 5

Jar of Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Things were always so complicated when others became involved. He had planned it all so carefully and now his plans were unravelling. Seungri could see the next few moves on the chess board all leading to checkmate; he could see that Cheshire cat grin of a smile that painted GD’s permanently smug face.

 

Seungri watched absentmindedly at the marble rolling across the counter top of his kitchen, watching as the swirls inside reflected the meagre light of the flickering bulb and cast dancing shadows of light on to the surface below. It dropped off the table into a narrow gap between the wall and his less than perfect flooring where it disappeared from view; utterly unreachable. Seungri didn’t even look up.

 

GD had complicated things in a thousand ways. 

 

He touched his phone lightly and precisely, fingers gliding over its monitor.

 

‘Delete Soo Mi from Contact List?’ the phone prompted.

 

His bottom lip was pulled downwards in a frown; he didn’t like it when people asked him if he was sure.

 

 

Seungri stepped out into the fresh chill air of a cold autumn day in a grey suit with edges so sharp it could cut through the morning fog that had not yet had the decency to leave. The weather was a degree too cold but it was refreshing and perfect.

 

He strolled along, self-assured again, sweeping fallen leaves out of his way. It was almost as if he was gliding. He loved walking in this public park. The pickings were rich and easy especially in this weather. Children did not come out to play in this weather and the park was his playground. There was always a lonely figure beneath these trees, day-dreaming and often sad.

 

Today was like any other, a young lady sat on a bench, so obviously waiting for someone who had not turned up. She bit on her lip in a worried expression, not even noticing Seungri until he was too close.

 

‘Hey,’ he said, letting the word fall off his lips softly and sitting down next to her, just so his arms brushed against hers lightly, ‘is everything alright?’

 

‘No,’ she replied in staccato and it surprised Seungri to the utmost.

 

His eyes squinted for a moment, casting her a sideway curious glance, and his hands tightened inside his gloves. Her hands were similarly clenched tightly and her jaw set in a picture of stubbornness despite the tears that were so evidently shining in her eyes.

 

‘Whoever it was, he wasn’t worth it,’ Seungri murmured looking back out to the sea of frosted grass and the few birds braving it.

 

‘You don’t know..’ she trailed off, ‘But I know.’ And again a look of determination flashed across her face as she turned to face him. As if she had made an internal promise to herself, or to the world.

 

Seungri didn’t know what to make of that. What was she trying to say? And he felt again that this was getting to a dead end – something that was happening far too frequently in recent times. She got up to leave and he pathetically clutched at her hand.

 

‘Wait..’ he didn’t even have anything to say but he held on to her through words anyhow, his hand clumsy from the cold not quite grasping hers..

 

‘Why, what do you have to say?’ The tears trickled slowly down her face now, as if they were on a dignified descent. ‘Does love resort to finding lonely girls on park benches? Love is so empty these days.’ She was babbling now, an archetypal mix of anger and sadness as she held on to herself tightly. ‘Why did he change his mind?’

 

Seungri continued to sit there long after she had left and probably gone home, watching the leaves continue to fall. He couldn’t help appreciating her strength just a little. He got up stiff from sitting on the bench and hands and face numb. It didn’t mean he wasn’t going to find another but he was curiously glad that it hadn’t been her. It was fine, tomorrow is Friday after all, and he could go back to the familiar clubs that he knew like the back of his hand and cast his net again.  
 
He sat in his chair, inside the small space of his secret room with a dim light, looking at his old journal its pages delicately, fondly, as if he was greeting a friend. Then suddenly, he scribbled Soo Mi name from his journal creating an ugly scar across the page and ripped the picture from his old journal, taking out a lighter and watched with no satisfaction as her picture was consumed in flames.

 
He can still see Soo Mi in his mind’s eye. She had the gentlest features, like an Angel, so unlike the sharp cat-like features of his others. She would have been so delightful and different to have had.  And yet now, he would never taste her soft lips or see her face when he breaks her heart. It was satisfying somehow to see that, it brought him satisfaction like nothing else. His perfect plans, his dreams had become just that. Dreams that would never become reality and he let a sigh escape. Soo Mi would have been the perfect gift for his collection.  
 

He touches the jar with full of regrets because he had been so close, or at least he convinced himself of this. It would have succeeded if he had never showed up. Seungri rocked in his chair ever so slightly murmuring under his breath ‘complications, complications,’ almost melodically.  
Seungri sighed again and exited the small closet before lying on his bed with eyes shut but a mind that was running a million miles per hour. He would start again tomorrow. 
 
Flashback

 
Seungri smiled awkwardly, politely, punctuating Soo Mi’s speech about how they met. He could feel GD’s gaze searching him and he attempted to keep his face as neutral as possible.  
Seungri watches Soo Mi carefully, cherishing those sweet mannerisms of a smile that seemed unsure and hands that continuously attempted to put those strands of hair behind her ears.

He will not see her anymore.  
He couldn’t help thinking that it was such a waste.

She was beautiful in Seungri’s eyes because she would have been the perfect birthday gift for him.  
 
On the other side of the table, GD is also considering Seungri carefully whether he should take his move on Seungri, after all Soo Mi is his friend. The dirty naughty thoughts could not escape from GD mind since that night and Seungri lips are so tempting, like lures for guys like him.  
GD needs more, and he could only imagine how hot his body would feel under his.
He needed more patience but GD knew he was only counting the days till Seungri would be part of his..  
  
Seungri shook Soo Mi’s hand as she slipped away, after so many months, he couldn’t help as his hand lingered on hers a moment longer.

 

‘Goodbye.’  
 

He has to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter