Three.

You're So Unfamiliarly Familiar

“Hey Amber,” I asked her, as we were hanging out in my room.

“Hm?”

“That kid Kai, what's he like?” She rolled her eyes at me.

“Don’t tell me you’ve already fallen for the school’s resident bad boy.” Amber groaned.

“Of course not. His untouchable personality just piqued my interests, that’s all.” I said as I popped another malteser in my mouth.

“Interests being romantic fantasies?” Amber eyed me sceptically.

“No, no.” I waved her suggestion off.

“He just seems… different, to everyone else that is.” I continued.

“I don’t know much about him to be honest. I can tell you the general information if you want.”

“Shoot.”

“Well, he’s popular for one.”

“Obviously.”

“Oh and he dances.” Amber snapped her fingers in recollection.

“He dances?” I tilted my head in confusion.

“Yeah, he’s incredible. One of the best in school.” I don't remember Jong-In being able to dance...

One of the best?”

“Yeah, there’s this other kid, his best friend, who dances as if he's missing all the bones in his body.”

“Best friend?” I question her further.

“Taemin. Lee Taemin.”

“What?”

“Taemin, the guy in class 11B.”

“There is no way they’re best friends… Kai is distant. Kai’s cold, he’s ridiculously nonchalant. Whereas Taemin; Taemin is the polar opposite. He seems to be on a constant sugar high. He’s so bubbly and open. I didn’t even realise they got along.” I rambled on in confusion.

“Yeah well, life is a mystery I suppose.” Amber grinned.

“So Kai dances well but Taemin dances better?”           

“Nah, I’d say they’re on par with one another.”

“So what else do you know?” I asked.

“Seriously? You sure you don’t have a thing for this guy?” Amber teased.

“Swear.” I pledged. I didn’t question any further as I knew she’d get the wrong idea.

 

***

 

Before I knew it, a month of school had come and gone in a flash. During that month, I became significantly closer to Amber; we spent most of our time together. However, whilst she enjoyed mingling with the crowd and being her ever popular self, I favoured my rooftop terrace. Sure we’d arrange to meet on the weekends and we ate lunch together, but once my food disappeared, escaping to the terrace had become routine. It turns out her father was best friends with the headmaster; she said it was strange, but she was cool with it as it came with perks. For instance: the trousers. She didn’t have to wear the ‘ridiculous skirts that exhibit too much leg and take away gender equality. The same skirts which, turn us females from people of influence into eye candy for the male race’ (Amber’s words exactly).

Siwon, as always, won the hearts and minds of the people – the guys worshipped his athleticism and the girls, well, that was obvious. I didn’t mind his popularity at all; as long as he was happy, so was I. I noticed the feelings my daft brother held for Sooyoung, she wasn’t the queen of the school or anything like that, but her beauty was undeniable. Siwon was cute around her. Even though he played it off as if she was ‘one of the guys’, I could see right through his little façade. Whenever her skin brushed against his or she said his name, a faint blush would graze his cheeks. If she smiled, his eyes would twinkle and if she unconciously bit her lip (fairly ily), his brain would turn to mush. Knowing that my brother was attracted to girls and that girls found him desirable was gross but whatever. Like I said, if he’s happy, I’m happy.

As well as Amber, I also became closer to Kyuhyun. Donghae and Eunhyuk were glued by the hip and they were rather dense, so that didn’t really float my boat. But Kyuhyun, he was hilarious. He was like the fun uncle. So while Siwon was irritatingly over protective, Kyuhyun pulled pranks with me and hung out with me when Siwon wasn’t around. That guy, that guy knew how to live life.

In all honesty, Kai barely ever crossed my mind. His ‘cool guy’ attitude no longer fascinated me; I was actually getting accustomed to it. Even so, Amber and I did silently roll our eyes whenever he entered form, which, might I add, was very rare. During the entire four weeks of my enrolment, he’d only attended school a maximum of nine, ten times? He never came to class either, which, of course, was to be expected.

However today, today he had come to class.

“How kind of you to grace us with your presence Kai.” Mr. Park stated sarcastically without looking up from whatever he was doing. Instead of responding, like a regular person, he offhandedly walked to his desk with music blasting from his headphones. The girls squealed delightfully as he took his seat. I’m not blind, he is evidently, extraordinarily good looking, and I’m sure his character isn’t as bad as it seems, but squealing? Really?

The overhead intercom sounded and everyone looked up to listen.

“We have a few announcements to make this morning. Firstly…” I didn’t pay much notice to our headmaster’s broadcast as he droned on and on about the school’s code of conduct.  However, what did catch my attention was his view on attendance and the importance of it. I looked to my right and smirked at Kai. Everyone knew the announcement was directed towards him and, I thought, it was hilarious. Although, he obviously couldn’t care less, that was, ‘til the headmaster’s final words.

“Kim Jong-In, please make your way to my office, immediately. That is all.” The students held their breath as they waited for the culprit to stand up. Kai did exactly that. He locked his eyes on mine and I smirked once more. Gotcha.