One.

You're So Unfamiliarly Familiar

I sighed as I bid a sorrowful goodbye to the manor I once called home. I could feel my heart hypothetically shatter into a million pieces, as the skies turned dark and grey clouds loomed over the town. An abundance of thunder and lighting erupted as cold rain escaped from the heavens above. It was the perfect pathetic fallacy.

“Ready to go sweetheart?” My father asked soothingly as he appeared beside me. I nodded meekly without removing my focus from the floor. He head off to the car first to greet our driver a ‘good’ morning. I felt a pair of warm hands rub my shoulders understandingly. I tilted my head up to greet the swollen eyes of my older brother Siwon. He gently wiped away the tears that, I hadn’t realised, had escaped from my eyes before pulling me into a tight embrace. He pulled away regretfully and tugged softly on my left hand. I followed Siwon to my father like a lost puppy and took a last glance back at what was once our home, before sliding into the back of the car; and never looking back.

Tears pricked the back of my eyes as memories of the past flooded my mind. I tried to distract myself by watching the tiny droplets of rain race down the side of the car window. I was rooting for the one on the right. The rain beat down heavily across the country, as if to tell me that I wasn’t the only one suffering, that I wasn’t alone.

 

***

 

As Siwon and I headed towards the main office, I could feel the stares of the student body pierce through us, attempting to decode some part of our identity through what we wore and how we walked. My throat tightened as the attention grew; my brother squeezed my hand reassuringly and didn’t let go till we reached the secretary’s desk. She smiled welcomingly at the two of us and stole an extra look at my brother’s face before handing us our schedules. He flashed her a charming smile as I thanked her and yanked him out of the threatening clutches of the pedo-bear. We walked side by side in silence to my form room with his arm wrapped around me protectively. He insisted on escorting me there, as it was our first day. I didn’t bother arguing with him because I knew he wouldn’t take no for an answer. After reaching the classroom listed on my timetable, I gave him a quick hug and he kissed me on the forehead. I pressed the door handle down hesitantly and took a quick peek back at Siwon who mouthed a good-luck and shot me a goofy grin. I gestured for him to go to his class with my hands. He seemed to have forgotten about his own studies as he guiltily ran his hand through his hair. His eyes crinkled cheekily but he didn’t move an inch, implying that he’d wait for me to sit down first. I shook my head and smiled at the child who lived in the body of a six-foot athlete. I made my way to an empty desk at the back of the classroom with delicate footsteps, trying to attract as little attention as possible. I peered out the window once more, only to see my idiotic brother scuttle off down the hall. I grinned down at my desk. My smile faded when a set of red heels stopped in front of me. I stupidly looked up, only to meet a pair of ice-cold eyes.

“This desk belongs to Kai. I’d move if I were you.” The doll-faced menace snarled at me.

“Who?” I tilted my head in confusion.

“Ugh. Kai. Duh.” She scoffed at me.

“I don’t know who that is.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” She spat.

“I’m sorry?”

“Leave the poor girl alone Krystal and stop making a ruckus first thing in the morning. Class is about to start; I’d sit down if I were you. You don’t want to get a detention on the first day of the second semester do you?” An elderly, teacher had snuck his way into the room without my knowing. I smiled appreciatively at him.

“No Mr. Park…” The girl, I assumed was named Krystal, grumbled and trudged towards her desk, which was thankfully at the front of the room.

“Now class, as I’m sure you’ve all noticed, we have a new student. If you would like to introduce yourself Miss…” He looked towards me.

“Uh… Hana. Choi Hana.” The class giggled slightly at my awkward response.

“I see, Miss Choi Hana. My name's Mr. Park and I'll be your form tutor for the remainder of the year. Now, how about that introduction?” He gazed at me over the top of his spectacles. I could feel the watchful eyes of my new class examining my every move, waiting for me to answer.

“Oh I don’t think that’s nec-“ I was rudely interrupted mid-sentence.

“Don’t be silly, we’d all love to know more about you.” Krystal said in sickeningly sweet tone. She sent a subtle glare in my direction before returning to an unnatural, tight-lipped smile.

“Now, now Krystal. As curious as we all are, we have to respect Miss Choi’s wishes. If she isn't comfortable to introducing herself, then let her be.” Mr. Park eased the tension that had risen in the room. Was it getting hot in here? I could feel my hands sweating a little. He looked at me apologetically before swiftly moving the topic on to the upcoming ski trip.

The majority of the class’ attention had been reverted by the excitement of playing in the snow, but not Krystal’s. She grumbled quietly to herself and she glowered at me from her seat. I pretended not to notice for the whole fifteen minutes before the bell sounded, signalling the dismissal for first period. I rushed out of my form room and heaved a deep breath out. I skimmed over my schedule one more time. I had Extended Maths first thing. Fabulous.

----

So first chapter is up. Thank you to all the readers who subscribed even before this chapter was up. There were so many of you! It really means a lot. It completely made my night. I know I only just started my other story, but this idea was taking over my brain and I just had to start it :3

I'd appreciate any feedback about this first chapter. I know Kai hasn't been introduced yet... and it's a short chapter, so for that, I apologize. But don't fret, he'll be making his grand entrance very soon. Do you like my main character (Choi Hana) so far? Is she acceptable? Haha, awkies. Anyway, yeah. Thanks guys.