Happiness

Like a Dream (꿈결처럼)

 

Naeun grinned as she entered their dorm. She quickly ran to her room and opened the laptop. “Finally, I get to talk to my descendants!” she thought. She logged in at a forum entitled ‘evilworks’ and checked the discussions. She viewed all the new comments and sighed in relief.

“I’m in my dreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam~” Naeun’s phone rang. Naeun grabbed her phone and answered the call, “Yobuseyo?” she greeted. “Ji! This is Cho eonni. Any good news?!” one of Naeun’s descendants friends, Chorong, asked. Naeun smiled slightly, “we’ve gained followers and supporters! You should come back quickly so you’ll meet them!” she exclaimed. Chorong giggled, “You’ve been happy these days, what’s up?” she asked. Naeun puffed her cheeks and shook her head. “Me? Happy? I don’t even know what happy means…” Naeun said. “Tss. *she paused and talked to someone, then came back* Naeunnie, I have to go! I’ll call you next time, okay?” Chorong bid a farewell. “Ne, take care Cho eonni!” Naeun said as she hanged up.

“Happiness isn’t something anyone can have.” Naeun mumbled. She sighed, “That’s just what I know…” Naeun focused on the forum to set aside things she thought she shouldn’t think about.  She heard footsteps and looked outside the room. “YAH NAEUNNIE, I BOUGHT STRAWBERRIES!” Yookyung shouted as she ran to Naeun. Yookyung showed a bag full of strawberries, “Here!” she exclaimed. Naeun’s eyes widened, “For me?” she asked as she puffed her cheeks. Yookyung nodded and smiled. Naeun narrowed her eyes, “Are you gonna ask me to do something again?” she exclaimed. Yookyung bit her lip. “Umm… it’s not something big…” Yookyung said as she slowly looked down. “What is it?” Naeun leaned towards Yookyung. Yookyung took a deep breath and…

--

My professor called me and told me that I failed the last exam. You know that I studied really hard in that class, right? Yeah, whatever you say. You even have time to open my roleplay accounts, duh. You even told me a little while ago that you had nothing to do, gaaah. You’re so hard working.

“Hong-ssi, you need to catch up in our lessons and if you fail the exam next week… I’m sorry but I’m going to pull you out of my class.” Yookyung’s professor in one of her classes, Mr. Shi, informed. Yookyung looked at Mr. Shi with puppy eyes, “But sir, I’m really trying hard to get A’s and I’m always participating.” She defended. Mr. Shi shook his head, “But trying hard and giving your best doesn’t mean that you get what you aim for, right away.” He said. “Sir, please just one more semester! I promise I’ll pass exams, get A’s or even excel in your class!” Yookyung begged. Mr. Shi let out a sigh and shook his head again. Yookyung bit her lip, “Sir, you know how much I’m working hard right now. I’ve got a part-time job after school, piano & ballet classes every day, 2 hours volleyball practice every weekdays and I have to go back and forth to school because of Naeun.” She complained. And you even mention me there… what would your professor think of me? I’m the hindrance for your studies? “Hong-ssi, you’re a very hard working student, I can say. But it’s my class we’re talking about here. You don’t need to mention your other activities… *he scratched his head* I heard you were doing well in your piano class. But you can’t do it in my class? Yeah, I know your piano class and my class are different but… Hong-ssi, it’s your choice to be pumped up like that.” Mr. Shi answered back and left. “But sir! Next semester my piano classes will end! And next month, I’ll get my salary and after that I’ll quit my job! Sir, just one more semester and I can focus on your class!” Yookyung shouted as Mr. Shi started walking. “Sir!” Yookyung, once again, called but Mr. Shi didn’t even dare to look back.

--

Yookyung dipped the strawberry on the cream, “So yeah, that freaking Mr. Shi dared me that he would pull me off his class if I don’t do well…” she said. “So what’s your point there?” Naeun asked, munching her strawberry. Yookyung looked at her with puppy eyes, “Naeunnie, I know you know what I’m talking about…” she said. Naeun nodded as she took another piece of strawberry. Yookyung grinned, “So… are you gonna agree with me?” she asked. “I haven’t even heard your creepy plan yet,” she exclaimed. “You know the drama Secret Garden?” Yookyung asked as she held Naeun’s hand. Naeun shook her head, “What’s that?” she asked. “I heard that Ha Jiwon and Hyun Bin’s switch was true. They drank a wine-like thingy and when they got soaked in the rain, Jiwon became Hyun Bin and Hyun Bin became Jiwon.” Yookyung explained. Naeun let go of Yookyung’s hand and blinked, “so are you telling me that we’re going switch bodies and I will be the one taking your exam?” she asked with a high pitch. Yookyung slightly nodded. Naeun paused for a while and stood up. “NO WAY!” she shouted. “But Naeunnie, that’s the only way...” Yookyung defended. She pointed to some paper bag beside the cabinet, “I even worked hard to look for the wine a few days ago.” She continued. Naeun narrowed her eye brows, “And you even have time to look for the wine? I thought you were a busy person, huh?” she asked. Naeun let out a breath, “I mean you know I’m a genius, Kyungie. That’s why you’re gonna let me take the test… but didn’t you think of other ways?” she paused.

Naeun went to the paper bag and placed it inside the cabinet, thinking that they don’t need a wine or whatever to make Yookyung pass the exam.  She then went back to the couch and sat. “Kyungie, I can teach you. You can stop working for a while and I’ll work more part-time jobs so that you can focus on studying. I can even look for a tutor to teach you. I can ask your coach to make you rest for just a week or a two. Did you forget Hong Yookyung, I’m Son Naeun, the Genius Ji.” Naeun elaborated, cheering up Yookyung, who Naeun thinks that she’s losing self-confidence and hope. Yookyung smiled and pulled Naeun for a bear hug. Yookyung thinks that she has the most wonderful, genius and awesome friend ever. Naeun has always been there for her.  She thinks that though she’s the one always giving Naeun gifts and cheering her up after the incident happened Naeun was always the one who helped her. Though Naeun was having a hard time about her life, she still tried to cheer her up and made her feel that she should never lose hope. Sometimes, she feels ashamed because she can’t give Naeun the support equally. Naeun, though she had changed in some aspects after the incident happened, her care and love for people around her didn’t change. She might have been a little bit cold towards Yookyung but making her smile was the least thing Naeun thinks she can do for her. She wants to make Yookyung smile, not by her old corny jokes, not by her ignorance of technology, not by her talkativeness and not by acting the old Naeun out but by her precious and limited words.

“I love you so much, Naeunnie! You’re the best!” Yookyung shouted as she hugged Naeun tight. Naeun puffed her cheek, “So are you still planning to use that creepy wine?” she asked. Yookyung shook her head, “But I’m not going to stop my sport activities! I love volleyball!” she insisted. “Yeah, yeah” Naeun exclaimed. “Promise me you won’t think of getting bored, forgetting that you got tons of things to do and ending up doing other things you shouldn’t do.” Naeun exclaimed. Yookyung scratched her head, “Eh? But… fine, I understand! I promise.” She said. Naeun pointed at the books and Yookyung quickly took it. Naeun opened a book and looked over to its contents, “So what part are you having a difficult time with?” she asked.Naeun grinned as she entered their dorm. She quickly ran to her room and opened the laptop. “Finally, I get to talk to my descendants!” she thought. She logged in at a forum entitled ‘evilworks’ and checked the discussions. She viewed all the new comments and sighed in relief.