twenty-four | happy birthday, chan-chan! (part 1)

Luhan: The Annoying Brat
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

As soon as I opened my eyes that morning, my heart went flip-flop. No more time for lazy-bed complaints. I checked the calendar. It's totally it.

It's totally the day I'm finally 18.

Good thing it's a Saturday. I'm really queasy when a lot of my classmates say 'Happy birthday' to me. Even the people I don't know greet me. But the downside of this, my parents had planned on a special party tonight, inviting all of my friends and classmates. It's okay, though. They said it's a treat for me for turning legal.

I'm really happy every time my birthday comes. It's like another year full of changes and complications and changes and stuff. Did I mention about changes? Haha.

Changes, meaning, I'm already legal now. I can drive, I can go to the club, I can watch matured videos. Just plainly, I can do whatever I want now.

I took a bath, brushed my teeth, and changed to some clothes that I bought with the money I saved since freshman year. 

I went down the stairs to check if anyone's awake. The lights in the kitchen are still off, even in the living room.

"Happy birthday Sungchan!!!!"

Their voices literally made me jump off my feet. They suddenly popped up somewhere from the stairs with a small chocolate cake with a candle shaped like the number eighteen.

"Wah," I laughed, putting a hand on my chest. "You guys scared me!"

Mom attacked me in a bear-hug. "Oh my! My Sungchan has grown really pretty. You're already in your legal age! Oh my, how time flies!" Dad also hugged me and said the same like Mom.

"Happy birthday, noona!" Wonjin came to me and also hugged me. "Despite you being such a nuisance to me all the time, I'm glad you're able to celebrate another year."

"Hey," I frowned jokingly. Wonjin laughed and winked. "I'll give my present later!" He ran back up the stairs and disappeared.

Mom shook her head and turned back to me. "So, you're all dressed up. Ready for your shopping date with Eunmi?"

Since I have a party tonight, they wanted me to buy some new clothes for me to wear later. And since Eunmi is a bit concerned about fashion, Mom let her take me with her.

I nodded. "You know I can just use my old ones."

"Non-sense. It's your birthday, dear." She patted my head. "Just have fun. I'm just sorry I can't come with you. You know how I lack some fashion sense."

"Exactly where I inherited it." We both laughed.

"Ready to go?" Dad twirled his keys on his finger and was waiting at the door.

I nodded and kissed Mom goodbye. I went out to join Dad to get in the car.

"Chan-Chan!" Luhan came running to me as soon as I got out.

He got well now from his fever. Well, I would be damned if he still ain't after a week. His parents thanked me as soon as they arrived yesterday. After taking care of him last week, I was able to control myself from actually getting annoyed with him already. I already found the guts to actually smile genuine at him and not snort at his stupid comments. He's my friend, anyways. My childhood friend. The album says it all. But I haven't peeped a word to him that I saw that. It's just my little secret.

He gave me also a bear-hug, fully regained from his sickness. "Saengil chukahae, Chan-Chan!"

I hugged him back. "Thanks, brat."

Well, I still need my dignity, you know. *evil laugh* At least I hugged back.

"Let's go, kids." Dad held the door of the backseat for Luhan and me.

Oh, Luhan's also coming as a 'bodyguard' for the day.

When we both got in, Dad drove to Eunmi's place to pick her up, and she squeezed in with Luhan and I at the backseat. She squealed in delight upon seeing me and chanted a never ending 'Happy birthday' for me. She only stopped when we arrived at the mall.

Dad dropped us off. "Good luck in finding good clothes for you, Sungchan."

"Thanks, Dad."

"Happy birthday, dear."

"Thanks." I kissed Dad goodbye and he sped off with the car.

Luhan stood in front of Eunmi and me. "Since I am your bodyguard today, I'll only be following both of you. Don't mind me while I'm following you. Pretend I'm invisible, 'kay?"

I laughed. "Are you serious with that bodyguard thing?"

Eunmi nudged me. "Let him. Don't spoil his fun." She looked at Luhan. "And aren't you supposed to be guarding us from the back?"

"Oh." Luhan let us walk in front of him and he followed from the back. "I'm just here, okay."

Eunmi and I both giggled.

The mall is somewhere I'm not fond of. There are a lot of places to go. Purely for shopping. The only place I like here is the foodcourt. That's why I let Eunmi lead me to some department store full of women's

Please log in to read the full chapter