12

My Strange Oppa

 

 
When Ms. Jung and Mr. Park mentioned that Jinyoung and you will be taking care if the Elderly you both pictured that you would be surrounded by many halmoni’s and halpoji’s, but instead you both were surprised when you were introduced to one old Elderly couple. 
 
You and Jinyoung were waiting in the lounge near the front of the front desk when the old couple came. 
 
*He’s staring at me.* You thought irritably as you felt Jinyoung’s phoenix eyes on you. You let out a sigh and turned the other direction all the while tapping your fingers on the teal leather sofa. 
 
Jinyoung was whistling a happy tune while sitting next to you. 
 
“Um excuse me,” you heard a raspy voice. 
 
Both your heads turned to the direction. The elderly couple gazed at you both with sincerity. The halmoni had a short perm, brown hair with thin rimmed glasses. The halpoji had a combed back gray hair. 
 
*There’s only two of them?* You thought as you tilted your head a bit in confusion. You looked around for more of them, but the rest of the hallway was empty except for the Secretary in the front. 
 
Jinyoung, too, was confused. 
 
The halmoni decided to introduce herself. “Hello, I’m Mrs. Kim and this is my husband, Mr. Kim.” Two pair of curious eyes glanced over at the elderly halpoji. You noted that her husband was a bit shorter than her but they still had that loving spark between them.
 
You smiled warmly at the sight. “Where are the others?” 
 
Mrs. Kim twisted her face in confusion now. “It’s just us.”
 
“We will be taking care of only you two?” Jinyoung gasped. 
 
Mr. Kim nodded. “Why? We’re not that old, we can be young as well.”
 
“Oh, no no! That’s not what I meant!” Jinyoung said loudly which scared both of them.
 
You lightly smacked his arm. “Speak quietly when you’re talking to them.”
 
“Oops,” Jinyoung smiled, slightly embarrassed.
 
“It’s okay dear,” Mrs. Kim beamed as she patted his arm. 
 
“Well,” you cleared your throat. “Let’s get to know each other.” You beamed. 
 
The elderly couple brought you to a nearby café. You and Jinyoung sat awkwardly in front of them. 
 
“I thought we would be playing games, not drinking coffee.” Jinyoung whined. 
 
You stared at Jinyoung with narrowed eyes. 
 
Mr. Kim laughed. “We can do that tomorrow, can’t we? You both have 6 months to endure with us, are you sure you could last?” He chuckled. 
 
Jinyoung crossed his arms and smiled victoriously. “We will last! Won’t we, ~~~~?!” Jinyoung nudged you. 
 
His push was a bit too strong which earned you a small cry from your lips.
 
The elderly couple laughed at you and Jinyoung’s quirks. 
 
“Oops! I’m sorry!” Jinyoung frowned. *Damn, I’m always so clumsy when it comes to her…*
 
You gave him a dirty look before refocusing your attention on them.
 
“I completely forgot to introduce ourselves!” You remembered. “My name is Sang ~~~~~~.” You bowed your head slightly.
 
Jinyoung stuck out his hand with a wide grin. “My name is Jung Jinyoung, senior at WM High!!!” 
 
The halpoji took Jinyoung’s hand and shook it softly. Then Halmoni took his hand and shook it as well.
 
You rolled your eyes but smiled. 
 
“Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim what would you like to eat? It’s going to be on me.” You pushed the menu’s to them.
 
Jinyoung shook his head. “Nuh-uh, it’s going to be on me!”
 
“Jinyoung,” you said sharply. “It’s on me.” 
 
“Girls shouldn’t pay!” Jinyoung stuck out his tongue.
 
The halmoni laughed. 
 
“That’s right!” the halpoji agreed with Jinyoung.
 
Jinyoung beamed and stuck his hand out. The halpoji smacked his palm against Jinyoung. 
 
“You sure have yourself a gentlemen right here,” the halmoni commented.
 
You bit back your tongue and just nodded.
 
“Oh, and by the way, you don’t have to be so formal. Just call me Halmoni, and Mr. Kim, halpoji.”
 
Your eyes widened. “Are you sure?”
 
She nodded with a warm smile. “I think when this ends; you’ll both be like our own grandkids.”
 
You laughed and nodded. *Except, I would never have such an annoying brother.* You stole a glimpse of a goofy Jinyoung and rolled your eyes.
 
“Halmoniiii and Halpojiiiiiii~” Jinyoung sang. “Hey, I like the sound of it.” 
 
The time spent with them went by so fast. You and Jinyoung spent the majority of the time asking about them; how they first met, how long have they have been married, if they had kids, etc. 
 
Mr. Kim was the sweetest old man you’ve ever met and you felt that Mrs. Kim was the luckiest woman on earth. 
 
Old age can never really take away the love that they both had for one another. 
 
Something about the way they were made you feel envious. *I wonder if this how umma and appa would be like if they grew old together.*
 
“Thank you for such a lovely day,” halomoni said as she stood by the front of Seoul Eldery Residence.
 
You bowed. “It was nice getting to know you both today.” 
 
Halpoji chuckled. “Go home safely, araso? Jinyoung-ah, protect ~~~~~! We’ll see you tomorrow.”
 
Jinyoung saluted him. “Sir, yes, sir!” 
 
You both waved bye and watched as the couple went back in to their home. 
 
You and Jinyoung walked silently to the bus stop. 
 
*Damn, I will get this back in to her hands. I am not going to accept this back!* Jinyoung bit his lip as he formulated a plan in his head.
 
You peered at him. *He’s too quiet. I feel him plotting something.* 
 
“~~~~!” You heard the familiar voice.
 
You spun around and saw Hwayoung. You waved happily. “Unnie!” 
 
She walked to you and clucked her tongue. “What are you doing here…. With him? Whose he?” 
 
Jinyoung smiled happily and stuck out his hand. “I’m Jinyoung.” 
 
Hwayoung looked at him with raised eyebrows. “He looks familiar…”
 
You slapped his hand away. “He’s no one important.”
 
Jinyoung stared at you in disbelief. *That… hurts.* 
 
Hwayoung shrugged it away. “I’m heading over to Kyungmi’s, want to come?” 
 
“Ummm,” you hesitated. 
 
“Unless, you have homework and prefer to up your rep as a Queenka…” She rolled her eyes and walked off.
 
You bit your lip and then stared at Jinyoung.
 
He was looking down at his feet. You felt somewhat apologetic. 
 
“Sorry,” you whispered. “I can’t let the unnie’s know what I’m doing. I’ll see you tomorrow!”  You ran off and followed Hwayoung. Hwayoung smiled. She looked back at Jinyoung and smirked. 
 
Jinyoung watched as you figures became nothing but shadows. *I don’t like these girls ~~~~ hangs with….* Sighing, he took out the envelope from his sweater and clutched it tightly. *I will give this back to her one way or another!*