Chapter 2

So That I Can See

Chaptertwo

 

 

One day when Luhan visited Yoona to check on her as he was the doctor in charged of her, an angry middle age women stormed in. “You are Doctor Xi? Well I am going to tell you that my son is not going to donate his cornea to your female patient. You are not to touch a single hair from my son.’’

 

 

 

 

“Mrs Kim, please calm down, I am sure your son would be willing to, you know that his cornea had no use to him now, he would be blind forever with or without his cornea, but this patient of mine needs a cornea transplant right away and it was a coincident that your son’s pair of healthy corneas were a suitable fit-‘’

 

“I absolutely refuse to get this procedure done. I don’t care but you are not allowed to take any of my son’s body part out. How about you take the corneas out of your loved ones’ eyes instead and tell me how you would feel" she left Luhan staring at her dumbfounded and with that she furiously left the room and slammed the door behind her.

 

“Was that the big project that you’ve been talking about? That if this succeed you would most likely get a promotion?” Yoona asked, breaking the silence as she looked into Luhan’s tired brown eyes. He had his brown tousled fringe that he was lazy to style that grazed lightly against his long eyelashes. He had ditched his dorky glasses and obtained a good fashion sense, with much thanks to Yoona. He was good looking no doubt and had many girls around him, but he had eyed no one but only Yoona.

 

“Yes,” he sighed in fatigue and took a seat next to her bed. “Her name is Sulli, she’s about the same age as you, pretty no doubt’’ he yawned, ‘’ but unfortunately she had a rare case of eye disease, I’ve managed to save most of it and almost gave her a pair or new eyes so that she can see again, she was blind since young. But she need a pair of damn corneas.’’

 

“Then lets test my corneas and see if it would fit her.’

 

Luhan stared at her in disbelief, “ What?”
 

‘“You heard me Luhan,’’ she rolled her eyes, stubbornly refused to repeat.

 

“No- no Yoong, you would be blind-“

 

“Am I considered as one of your loved ones?”

 

“Yes, but no you are not going-“

 

“Then,” she cut him off again, “ Do the test. I’m willing to donate my corneas, not like I’ve got much time to live with my corneas anyway. You said that she need the corneas urgently, take the chance now or you would probably have to wait for I don’t know how long to get a cornea. Plus it’s just a test to see if my cornea would even be suitable, no harm done.’’

 

That day, after Yoona’s persistence he reluctantly did a test, and secretly he wished that the cornea wasn’t suitable, as selfish as he was.

 

“It’s a perfect fit ” she had asked him when he came into the room a few days later. “Its not even a question anyway so you don’t have to answer that. When am I going to get the transplant?”

 

“No, damn it never Yoong,” he angrily slammed the table in front of her, startling her. “You are not going to spend the remains of your life blind. You are going to keep that ing cornea of your in your eyes and live with it for the rest of whatever time you have in your life.’’

 

“This is my choice Luhan-‘’

 

“Can’t you just listen to me this once Yoong? Please I beg you.’’ He stared at her with tear in his eyes. “Keep your cornea, this damn project means nothing to me as much as you meant to me, I love you yoona and I don’t want to see you spending the rest of your days blind. It hurts me so dam badly that I can’t even cure your illness and I can’t perform the transplant knowing that it would lead to your blindness. Remember when you told me that I would be a famous and proficient doctor, well you are wrong Yoong, I'm not. I can’t even cure you, I can’t even cure the woman I love-‘’

 

“Shut up Luhan, just shut up and look at me.’’ She cupped her hands around his face and turned his head to face her, "Im never wrong in my predicament, and you are a proficient doctor. But there are diseases in the world that you can’t cure, and even the best doctors can’t. Nobody can.”

“I can’t do this yoong, on the day of my judgment when I stand before god, and when he asked why did I not save one of his miracles, what am I going to say?”

 

“You are going to say that one of his miracles became selfish person. Because she had requested you to give her corneas to one of your patient, not because she was a generous person but because even when she dies, she still wanted to see you.” She took a shaky breath and continued, “ I know that my days are numbered, and when I die I can’t look you anymore. I can’t look and gaze at the brown eyes full of wisdom that I adored in you. Therefore I want to donate my corneas to Sulli, because not only it would help you in your promotion but because when I passed on, she still has my eyes, to look at you and it’s almost like I never left.’’

 

Even up till the very end, Yoona still puts others before herself.

 

God took 7 days to create the world, but to Luhan, he took 7 seconds to destroy his. The 7 seconds he took to successfully remove the women he loved’s cornea out of her beautiful eyes that could never see again. How was she going to paint her pictures again now that she was blind? And as much as Luhan disapproves in her decisions, he still listened to her, because she told him that she was contented.

 

The days passed on quickly and Yoona stood by the window everyday and expects the colourful view of the garden bursting with vivid colours, the sun rays of the sun shining down onto each and everyone of the dews but was only greeted with blindness. And how she spend the rest of her days idling in bed, getting used to the darkness in her world. Luhan tried to be her eyes but she would always pushed him away because she did not want him to see the state she was in. For a cheerful girl like her that life was always surrounded with colours had to get used to the dark always was not a easy task. "It’s not like I have to get used to it for long anyway,” she would brush him away with it.

 

And the day came when she finally took the last breathe, and her heart galloped weakly to halt.

“In my short life that I’ve lived, I'm glad that I've known you Luhan. And I'm glad that I've persisted on annoying you when we were young because if I didn’t I wouldn’t have met a great man like you. I love you Luhan, but please, for me, please forget me. You are still young so find a partner to live on for the rest of your life. Hopefully you won’t find one as annoying as me cause then it would be too bad,” she chuckled but was only greeted with the difficulty to breathe. “It’s coming I can feel it, remember,” she clutched onto his hands tightly, “ that if god really did ask you that question, remember what I told you to tell him, and I’ll only allow you to remember that, nothing else okay?” she said. She took one last shaky breathe and said ‘’ I know that you would be a great doctor one day, I told you I could read the future,” and with that, she closed her eyes with a smile.

 

Luhan was never going to forget the lessons that she had taught her. On the day of her funeral he had brought her sunflowers, because she liked it. Since young Yoona had always put others before herself, always doing things because other people likes it and only little actions and traits like only bring sunflowers to every occasion because she liked it was probably the only selfish trait of hers. And he didn’t care if sunflowers were not a appropriate flower to bring for a funeral, because he knew that Yoona would like it. He could almost imagine her jumping around and clapping her hands because he had brought sunflowers to her funeral. Little things like that would make her happy. He still blamed himself though, for not being able to cure her, he had imprisoned himself with work every day. He got a promotion and became a famous doctor in the country, he made lot of money, which meant that he had proven his mother wrong but all these didn’t made him happy. He can’t share all these with Yoona so it didn’t matter to him anymore.

 

“Hello is this Docter Xi Luhan?”

“Yes, who is this?”

“I’m Sulli, you know the patient you’ve cured last time.” He heard a light chuckle at the background.

“Oh yeah I remember,”

“So, I was thinking if you want to have lunch together? As a token of appreciation? I didn’t get to thank you last time…so..”

He smiled, Sulli makes him smile he don’t know why. Maybe because she was like yoona. No, she did not inherit her character, but she was cheerful and pretty but not as pretty as Yoona. And most importantly, she was one of the living example of Yoona’s selfless character, and she had her eyes technically.

“Okay.’’

(a/n) I just can't end this story really really sadly so yeah, not that i ship sulli and luhan in anyway. I hope y'all liked the story and once again thankyou for reading it, i really appreciate it *bows* let me know how y'all find the story down at the comment section! THANKYOU!