Chapter 1

So That I Can See

Chapterone

 

In his whole life, Xi Luhan, born in China, Beijing only had 2 women in his life.

One was his mother, his source of determination and persistence. Not because she told him to, but because she made him. She had left Luhan since he was at the age of 13, leaving him wondering why was he suddenly motherless. His father had told him that she didn’t want him-them anymore. She had gone to someone wealthier and smarter. She despised them because his father was not wealthy enough of her, that she didn’t want to spend the rest of her life slogging for money. That his father wasn’t smart enough, wasn’t smart enough to do business or take up a professional job. The bottom line was; never enough. Since then he had made up his mind to be better than his father, to prove to his mother that he could be what his father could not be. So he had set his mind to take up a professional job, to earn lots of money, not to be spent but to show, show his mother that it was her mistake to leave the family, to show her mother that might not even see his success. He chose to be a doctor, for a simple reason as it was that he likes to save people. He always had this little ambition around the medical field so he decided to pursue it.

 

The second women in his life was none other than his best friend Im Yoona. He met Yoona when she was 16 and he was 17. The way they met was a pretty cliché one.

 

Luhan wasn’t guys that socialize really well. He was the quiet guy at the back that always pays attention to the class. His good looks then was covered up by his untrimed hair and dorky glasses therefore I could say that he was not a popular guy in school. Yoona on the other hand was like a social butterfly. She had a brown soft hair in which was evident that she took really good care of it. He flawless skin and body always gained the admiration of her classmates. She however was not one that makes friends with people because of their popularity. And that was when she had an eye for Luhan.

 

She had randomly picked one day to plop down on the seat next to him and started chatting to him animatedly. He had found her a nuisance then, it was as if he had a radio blasted next to his ear for she could not stop talking. She started blabbering about her life story, what she found the school amusing and about her favorite songs and movies. This happened for a few weeks and Luhan tried to brush her away but failed terribly. He was glad that he failed though because this particular girl that had her eye caught on him turned out to be one of the most important women in his life.

 

Yoona was his source of hope. When Luhan had failed to enter the medical school of his choice and ended up at a infamous one, he was mocked at by his classmates that managed to enter their school of their choice. She had gave him hope to continue pursuing his career in the medical field. ‘’ When you become a famous doctor one day, people would certainly not judge you because of which school you went. In fact they will probably be admiring you, to be so successful despite not being in a prestigious medical school’’ she had told him.

 

‘’How do you even know that I would be a famous doctor, would I even be a doctor?”

“I just know luhan. And I’ll tell you that I can read the future. I read that this chinese guy named Xi Luhan would make his mark in the medical industry one day I am certain. But you wouldn’t believe because you are a scientific man and you would need evidence to prove that I’m right. But I am not you luhan. I believe in magic and miracles and I do believe that certain things can happen without a reason.’’ She said curtly, looking at him with her chocolate big brown eyes.

 

‘’And don’t ever let somebody tell you that you can’t do something, not even me because they don’t know you like the way you know yourself. You got a dream and you got to protect it. People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can’t do it. But most importantly they can’t read the future, unlike me.’’

 

Yoona was like that, she believed in fairytales and magic. She never had much to worry about in her life. She came from a middle class family; both of her parents were working in a stable job. She was the only child of her family and her parents had pampered her with all they could afford. But Yoona was never proud. In fact she was took up part time jobs to pay for her university. She wanted to be a painter she said, or even a entertainer. But both her parents, having suffered in hardship before had told her that these jobs would not give her a bright future, unlike professional jobs or jobs that were in the area of business. Therefore Yoona had given up her dreams for her parents and entered into a university of business. It was not a easy course to get into for it was popular, but she worked her hardest despite the fact that she was not much of a mathematical person. Luhan was always by her side though, helping her ace through the period. She finally got in the university; she made her family happy and content even though she wasn’t. Luhan initially had disapprove her choice but he finally let her be when she told him ‘‘My parents came from a poor family Luhan, they worked hard to be at where they are right now. They know what was for the best. As long as they are content, I am. I’m just doing my duty as a filial daughter. Plus I don’t think that im much of a good painter or entertainer I am only a mediocre and with a mediocre painting skills would never bring me anywhere. ‘’

 

Luhan wanted to tell her that he loved her painting, and that she was far for mediocre, even so people would never buy excellent painting with no meaning to it. Yoona was a good painter and on top of that she paints with feelings. She can paint a sad picture and cry while painting. When she was done with her final piece, the painting would bring tears to the viewer. She could paint vast and vast of plains and never get tired for she had one of the biggest passion for art. Luhan knew that she said that because she didn’t want him to worry or pity her because ‘’there simply isn’t any reason to’’ and ‘’her life was perfect as it is’’ she always tells him.

 

The day came when Luhan had finally graduated after 7 years of hard work and became a doctor in one of the best hospital in the country because of his great result. Yoona was there at his graduated ceremony; she had on a big smile and a bouquet of bright yellow sunflower. She had a ‘’I told you that you would’’ look in her bright brown eyes for the whole ceremony.

 

‘Nobody gives sunflowers in occasion like these Yoong,’’ he gently , earning him a whack from Yoona.

‘’Well I do Dr Xi Luhan, and I think that sunflowers are the perfect flowers for occasions like these, doesn’t it gives off a cheerful vide when you look at it? I am happy for you Luhan, and I shall present to you my sunflowers as a token of my happiness!’’ she told him her reason why she’d gave him sunflowers. ‘’And I’ve always liked sunflowers, they are so happy happy happy! Oh I think I've overused the word happy Luhan!’’

 

‘’Arent you suppose to bring my favorite type of flowers for my graduating ceremony Yoong?’’ he had a glint of mischief in his eyes as he watched her prancing around happily with a bunch of sunflowers in her tiny palms.

                                                                                                                          ~~~

That day came when Yoona thought that she had come down with flu. Luhan was worried though when he found out that she had spent the rest of her day sleeping in. He came to visit her small apartment, which she had saved up from her job in the marketing field that night to check on her.

 

“I’m find Luhan, I’m just feeling sick in the stomach and tired. It’s alright, just a case of flu, you don’t have to worry. Go home you’ve got work tomorrow morning.’’

 

But little did she know that her after her flu had persisted for 5 days, she had visited the hospital to find Luhan for some proper medicine for her flu.

 

“I don’t think its just a simple case of flu Yoong, your symptoms seems to show otherwise, let me do a check up for you.’’

 

The result came to show that Yoona had a heredity heart disease that was passed down by her grandmother that had a similar illness. She would not survive for long and the disease was incurable. She was in a risk of having heart attack at any moment for her heart had developed a few abnormal blood vessels that result to the risk of blood being clogged up. As time goes by more and more of her blood vessels would turn and worsen. She could only wait, to Luhan's despair for her heart to stop pumping one day when most of her blood vessels refuse to allow blood to pass through.

 

Yoona took the news fairly well, and instead she became the one to comfort him at the situation. She had been hospitalized just in case of heart attack and took blood transfusion to her limbs ever week. Luhan had spend all his free time trying to find a way to cure her disease. Even with little hope he still persist because Yoona was his hope. He would always end up being disappointed as researches and researches confirmed that her illness was incurable. And that frustrates him because he had cured many patients from deadly disease and but he just couldn’t find a way to cure Yoona’s. Sometimes he wished that he could trade all the lives her had saved to save hers. She didn't deserve to die at such a young age, she was a charitable and humble women, she was innocent and the bad deed she had done was so minimal and he didn’t understand why they are people out there that had done so many bad deeds but lived a long life.

 

For the past few days Yoona had took her situation optimistically. There were no sadness or despair in her eyes and she had treated each passing day creating as many memories with Luhan and sometimes when Luhan was busy she would paint and she would paint her heart out. However, most of her paintings were always happy and optimistic, she paints the garden from the hospital and butterlies, she paints hope and determination with all the colors Luhan could ever imagine and she would paint many sunflowers with every shade of yellow she could even find. Everytime when it was time for her treatment, she would not allow him to witness, she would chase him out with a adorable pout that he could not resist and waved her little arms in protest when he refused. But in the end she would somehow convinced him to leave, with little bribes like chocolate ice creams and sodas from her.

‘’You don’t’ have to see how I would look like and I don’t want you to. And since you are probably never going to see me again after a few months I hope that you would respect my simple request to not attend my treatments.’’ That would break Luhan’s heart everytime, he knew that she didn’t want him to witness the agony that she had to go through everytime, she did not want the to despair him even more, to mock him in a way that he can never stop that damn disease from taking the woman he had loved away.