Chapter 2

Unwanted II: The Chaser

 

So instead of finding your way back to your flat, you made your way to find the common coffee shop you thought only existed in Korea. For once, you did not care if you would get lost or not, or would completely lose your way back to your small apartment because that moment, you thought you weren’t alone. Just the scent of your favorite coffee or the sight of the doors of that coffee shop, you’ll be fine after a long day.

After walking a bit more in the middle of citizens you weren’t familiar with, you finally saw it from a distance. Written in its signature style: Torch Café.

You entered its doors and admired the interior design of the coffee shop. Of course, it was mainly different than those you go to in Korea because US has a different culture. You walked towards the counter and smiled at the person there.

“Do you speak Korean?” You asked knowing that the coffee shop originated from Korea. The person looks Asian too.

“Neh.” She smiled and nodded at you. “It’s good to see Korean natives here!”

“Actually, I just got here. I’m not that good in speaking in English so I’m glad to see someone who speaks the same tongue as mine.” You smiled at her. “Can I get a caramel macchiato, please?”

She nodded and asked for the payment. After you handed her your money, you asked a few more questions. “So do you happen to know the owner of this coffee shop?”

“I heard it was Mr. Shim Changmin. But this franchise is not owned by him, it’s the first one bought by other person.” She answered.

“Another person? Must be really rich, don’t you think so?”

She nodded, “He’s actually a regular customer here but he never goes here. He asks someone to buy him coffee regularly. We never really met him who’s supposed to be our boss. So now we have manager here.” She said and handed you your coffee. “Why are you asking, by the way?”

“It’s that I really like this coffee shop.” You smiled at her. “And I kind of know Shim Changmin back in Korea. He’s a kind person.” You told her and took your coffee. “Anyway, I’ll be around often now that I saw this here in New York.” You both chuckled. “By the way, do you know where this is? I kind of lost my way back to my apartment.” You showed her your address and she told you directions.

When you reached your apartment, it’s already kind of late. But you cannot really fall asleep aside from the fact that it’s your first night there, alone and away from home, you’re bothered by Mrs. Nam who settled everything up to ruin you. Even if you’re away, you feel like she’s watching every movement you will make.

And even if you’re miles away, you know that in your heart, you still love Woohyun.



 

Meanwhile, back home…

Woohyun was driving swiftly and stopped by Torch Café. He entered and was greeted by Changmin. He sat near the counter and Changmin brought him coffee. He took the newspaper by the nearby stand and started reading it. Changmin sat across him and watched him move.

“Do you miss her?” Changmin teased while playing with his phone. Woohyun raised an eyebrow at him and did not utter a word. “You know, New Yorks a nice city. I think she’ll be fine.”

“She won’t be fine unless I’m beside her. That I’m sure of.” Woohyun said in a serious tone. Changmin chuckled at him. “What?”

“You know, if you really like her, then just go and follow her.” Changmin simply said.

“Are you okay? I could do that but I still can’t.” Woohyun put down his newspaper and sipped his coffee. “I have tons of work to do in the company. I can’t just leave everything behind and follow her when she was the one who left me.”

“Because maybe everything was too hard to handle for her. You know, everything that happened between the two of you, if I was in her place, I’d just runaway too. That’s easier to do than to face heartbreaks.” Changmin expertly said.

“And if you were in my place, what would you have me do?” Woohyun asked.

“I’ll run after her.” Changmin wiggled his eyebrows.

“But then I guess you were never really in my place.” Woohyun slouched back to his chair. “You know, I think I have to deal with my mother before I go after her.”

“If things wouldn’t be so late.” Changmin said when his phone started ringing. “Hold on, I’ve been waiting for this call. Business is business.” He stood up and walked outside the coffee shop to answer the call.

Woohyun was left thinking for a few minutes. He could have wanted to go to New York but he knew you needed more time on your own. Things would eventually get better, that’s what he was hoping and he would hold on to it no matter what. If time permits, he’d have you meet him soon. But right now, all he wanted to do in life was to be  better son to his mother, be like Sunggyu who’s hardworking and a real man. But that doesn’t mean he would forget you.

Changmin stepped back inside the coffee shop and sat across Woohyun again

“What was that call?” Woohyun asked.

“It’s from New York, Torch Café have its first franchise overseas. Isn’t that a very good news to hear?”

“You brought Torch Café all the way there? Hmm.” Woohyun praised his hyung.

“Not really, someone bought its franchise. So I’m dealing with it. Actually, he’s very accomodating. He dealt with all what this coffee shop needs in New York. Adjustments and everything else—I guess he wanted it that much.” Changmin explained.

“Who is this big time business man then?” Woohyun asked.

“You wouldn’t guess.” Changmin bit his lower lip. “You know him too well.”

 



 

Instead of sleeping—or forcing yourself to sleep, you decided to make your resume instead. While you were making it, you smiled to yourself remembering pretending to be the cartoonist that your best friend was. And you remembered when you worked for HyunAh. Until your memory brought you to knowing Sunggyu and his son. And that in the end, HyunAh got the chance to meet her son. Which actually led you back to Woohyun. And all the times you spent together. From the first time you two met and actually hated each other to the times when you eventually liked him to the time when you had to leave after all the truths revealed.

Soon enough, you fell asleep without even knowing it. and the next thing you noticed was the sun shining brightly.

It’s a brand new day and you wanted it to be nice. So after preparing yourself, you went outside and hailed a taxi—you’re going to Nam Company and you’re going to apply even if Mrs. Nam thought you’d just give it all up.

There on the front desk, the same beautiful young lady greeted you. “Good morning, Naeun-shi.” You greeted her. You told her your purpose there and you waited to be called.

While sitting on one of the chairs beside the front desk, you noticed a familiar figure of a man. His hair was dyed in different color but you thought, it did not change his appearance. It was him. Yet you weren’t very sure because lots of people were passing by and you could not catch a good view of him.

When he was almost near you, Naeun called your name.

“You can now proceed to the tenth floor. Wait for further instructions there.” She smiled at you and handed you some papers. When you glanced back, the guy you thought was Sunggyu wasn’t there anymore. You smiled back at Naeun and just headed to the elevator.

The queue was long and you waited for a matter of minutes. The elevator then clicked open and you entered, pressing the button to the tenth floor. Then you glanced beside you and saw a rather familiar face again.

“Jongup-shi?” Your face lit up and so did his.

“Oh, hi.” He smiled at you. “I didn’t see you there.”

“It’s good to see you—or someone I kind of know in a very strange place to me.” Your voice trailed off. “So I considered what you said yesterday, that’s why I’m here.”

“Ah jinjjayo? That’s good then.” He said. He mumbled about other things but everything else you hear faded when you saw the cup of coffee that was in his hand. First, you kind of forgot to pass by Torch Café and buy yourself a cup of coffee. But part of it was the name written on its side, “KSG.” Before you could even ask Jongup if the coffee was his, and that you know it’s completely an odd question and none of your business, the elevator door opened.

“Oh, here’s—here’s my floor. I’ll see you around!” You almost stammered while you glanced one last time on the coffee he was holding.

 

 

[A/N: I'm sorry it's kind of short. -__- I'll try to write better next time. Christmas specials! Maybe?]