Poison Apples...

Born For This

                              They say “hate” is a very strong word. And whoever “they” are, I’d usually agree with them. However, there are just some things that I can definitively say I hate. Take Daehyun for example. Usually, I love the kid. He may eat too much, and is a little loud for my liking, but he is a great kid.

 Right now, though, I wouldn’t mind throwing a dart at his huge smirking grin. I tried to throw as many darts with my vision as possible as he took his math exam, and placed it, completed, on the teacher’s desk. And I think that it was pretty justifiable for me to say I hated him right then, considering I had only done three questions on the thirty question math exam.

You know, the one that counts for about your entire grade?

If I got these three questions right, I would get a ten. And knowing myself, I did not get those three right. Maybe the teacher would take mercy on my math-useless soul, and give me a passing grade for spelling my name right. I doubt it, though. Math teachers always seemed to have it out for my grade, it seemed.

Daehyun decided to take the long way back to his seat, which meant he would be passing me. He reached the front of my desk, and bent down to pretend to re-tie his still-tied shoe lace.

“How many?” he asked under his breath.

“Uh, three,” I whispered back. He choked back laughter, while I stifled the urge to kick him over.

Once he composed himself, he stood, and sent me an, “Idiot,” before walking back to his seat. I pursed my lips, and weighed the pros and cons of trying to look the test over one last time before the bell rung.

Pros? I could maybe get a few more problems done, and maybe bump that ten up to a thirteen. Only if I was lucky.

Cons? Oh,yeah. That involves actually doing math. Which I don’t particularly enjoy. My mental debate was cut short as another moving figure caught my attention.

My blood boiled as no one other than Changjo of stupid freaking Teen Top walked over to the teacher’s desk and turned his exam in. I wanted to scream. Everyone. Everyone, including the idiot boy in the idiot gang, seemed was able to get past number four on this stupid exam. Everyone but me.

Daehyun was practically hysterical, giggling like a schoolgirl with her first crush. I feared that if I didn’t find a way to calm down, I was going to harm someone, or something. Hopefully him.

I glanced back at the clock. We had about thirty seconds left. Accepting defeat, I propped my feet up on the vacant chair next to me, and leaned my head back against the wall. I had thirty seconds to try to come up with a good excuse for only answering three questions, for both the teacher, and Daehyun.

Just as I started to think up something good, the bell in all of its shrill glory rang, signaling the end of class. I groaned as I stood, and half-heartedly shuffled to the teacher’s desk. She gave me the most a glare as if to say. “I always knew you were retarded.”

After hurriedly grabbing my stuff, I walked out the door to see Daehyun eagerly retelling the story of my failure to Youngjae and Dasom. Despite my boiling rage at Daehyun, I couldn’t help but notice the awkwardness between the freshmen that had been going on for the longest time.

“…And I pretended to tie my shoe to ask how many she had completed, and she said-“
            I abruptly ended his story my tightly clasping my hand over his mouth. Dasom and Youngjae looked startled at my sudden appearance, but it had no effect on their thirst for embarrassing information.

“Oh, come on, Soyu, tell us! It’s not like we won’t find out anyways! You know Daehyun will tell us regardless!” Youngjae tried to reason. Dasom simply gave me her most pleading puppy-eyes. I held fast, and clinched my hand harder around his mouth. Daehyun whimpered and tried to pull out, but I held fast.

“Not a word of this gets out to anyone. No one may know, understand?” I demanded. All three nodded as vigorously as possible. I let go of Daehyun, who spun away, and massaged his now red mouth area. Youngjae’s hand brushed against Dasom’s, and they both jerked their arms away from each other. I rolled my eyes at their childish tendencies, and gave Dasom a meaningful stare. She shook her head, and looked the other way as we started down the hallway.

 Continuing to give them all death glares, to Daehyun for him being smart, to Dasom for being so stubborn, and to Youngjae for being so freaking oblivious, I lead the way down the now-deserted all to the commons’ area to try and find the rest of our group.

“So, Soyu, how many did you really answer?” Dasom said, sweetly coming up to my side. That was the thing about her; she was manipulative. She could make any of her emotions show at any time, and she knew how to make a person feel really bad.

“Uh, three?” I answered as quietly as possible.

“What?”

            Daehyun shot forward and held up three of his stupid fingers. “She answered three!”           

            Dasom and Youngjae both broke out into hysterical laughter. I groaned, and walked even faster to the commons’.

            The loud sounds of screaming kids and fights reached my ears even before the smell of half-hearted frozen meals reached my nose.

            Kids these days…

            In my destination, I found my group of people occupying the center table, being the only somewhat quiet and respect-worthy group present. I took a step towards the table when a screaming Daehyun being chased by a very angry Youngjae ran past dangerously close. Youngjae was screaming something about Daehyun “ruining everything” and about how “he was going to destroy everything he loved.”

“Strange,” I murmured watching Youngjae repeatedly smack Daehyun in the back of the head, and looking about three seconds from tears. I shook my head, and started towards the table again. Once more, I was stopped, this time by a gentle tug on the back of my jacket.

 I turned to see an extremely red Dasom who also looked about three seconds from tears as well. I grasped her wrist, and led her away from the crowded commons area, and back into the hallway that we just left.

“What happened?” I asked, and she just turned redder.

“Well… You know how I’ve had a crush on Youngjae for a while now?”

“Yeah…? What about it?”

“He, uh, just kind of confessed to me.” She looked down, as if she was embarrassed to admit it.

“Dasom, that’s great! What did you say?”

“That’s the thing… I told him how I felt, and just before he could respond, Daehyun kind of shoved us together…” She trailed off, eyes never leaving the floor.

“And? I fail to see the issue here.”

“Well, umm, our lips almost made contact. It was really awkward… They Daehyun took off, and Youngjae chased him, and now I don’t know what is happening.”

I sighed. And here I was, thinking it was something serious. Nope, just a confusing case of puppy love.

 “Dasom, go pull Youngjae over, and talk to him about it.”

She shook her head rather forcefully. “No.”

I glared for a second at her, before spinning on my heels, and stormed towards the table. I narrowed my eyes at Youngjae, who saw me coming over Daehyun’s shoulder. His eyes widened, and he looked for an easy escape route.

Daehyun looked over his shoulder to see what scared the younger boy, and grinned when he saw me coming. Before Youngjae could run, Daehyun had grabbed onto his arm, and was holding him hostage.

I reached the two struggling boys, and grabbed Youngjae’s collar.

“Thank you,” I said curtly to Daehyun who nodded happily, and ran off to get food. Youngjae stiffened in my grip, and I gave him a sidelong glance.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I snapped.

“Nothing! I just, freaked. I got scared she would abandon me!”

Saying nothing, I dragged him across the cafeteria.

“Soyu?” he asked, voice filled with fear. Again, not saying anything, I continued my quest, ignoring the curious stares of my fellow classmates as I dragged the nearly crying freshman over to the extremely embarrassed freshman still standing in the hall.

“No, Soyu, stop. Stop. Please, I am begging you. I will never make fun of your math ever again! Please!”

I just pursed my lips, and practically threw him in front of her.

“Talk it out.”

“But-“, they said simultaneously. They wouldn’t look at each other, and were both trying to edge away from the other.

 “Now!” I commanded, and turned away again.

I finally reached my destination with about fifteen minutes left of lunch left. The members of my table all stared at me as I took my seat.

“Yes?” I asked, slightly unsettled by their stares.

“We have been waiting for that to happen for like, a year,” Yongguk’s deep voice answered.

“What? Me freak out and drag a nearly crying boy across a crowded room, and force him and his crush to speak?”

“No, stupid, that,” he responded, and nodded his head to the direction I just left. Approaching our table was Youngjae and Dasom, hand in hand, smiling like idiots. My face broke out into a grin, and I turned back around.

Yongguk watched the two carefully with the eyes of a parent. He was so protective of his boys, it was hilarious. Not many knew this, but deep down, Yongguk was also a total romantic.

 I knew that under his spiky outside, the gooey part of him was just melting. A small smile graced his normally hard features, and made him look kind of nice, for once.

“Gosh, finally,” Hyorin muttered, and we all laughed, relieved that the tension between the two kids had finally been broken.

“Now there is only one more couple that needs to stop being idiotic,” Bora said, staring pointedly at me.

“What? I have no clue what you are talking about!” I said, slightly shocked at her slight accusation.

“Really now? That is the worst lie you have ever told,” she deadpanned.

“I honestly have no clue what you are talking about.”

“Stupid, you and-” She was cut off as Himchan, who was sitting beside her, wrapped his hand around , preventing any further sound from coming out of . I rolled my eyes.

“Such children,” I muttered. Yongguk sent her a murderous glare, Hyorin clentched her jaw in frustration.

“What?!” she asked, sounding irritated.

“Shut up,” Yongguk muttered darkly, and happiness from seeing the newly formed couple gone.

A look of realization crossed her face, and she nodded. As if someone had flipped a switch, they continued chatting about their last period together.

 The strange behavior of the four of them confused me to no end, so I gave up trying to figure it out.

Zelo, sitting next to Yongguk, was oblivious as always. He was far too busy trying to copy Jongup’s homework to notice the tension.

  I glanced to my right, where Jongup sat. He was staring at his apple, being quiet and quite un-obnoxious, which is quite strange for him.

“Jongup?” I asked, and poked him in his side. He jumped, and snapped his head up. When he saw it was me, his serious expression melted into a happy smile.

“Hi Soyu!”

“Uhh, what is wrong with your apple?” I asked, baffled by his behavior.

“What?” he asked, completely confused. The kinda cute, puzzled expression on his face made him look absolutely adorable.

“Your apple. You are staring at it like it killed a puppy or something.”

“Oh, no, I was just thinking,” he responded, and returned to staring at his fruit. I was puzzled. He was never this quiet, at least not around me. Around me, he was happy, and bright, and bubbly, and often retarded. This side of him worried me.

“Jongup, are you okay?” I questioned, worry filling my voice.

“I don’t…” his voice trailed off, eyes never leaving the fruit. He blinked, and sighed. A single tear rolled down his cheek. “I don’t know.”

My heart broke. Without even stopping to think of what had just happened with the older four, I stood, and grabbed his wrist.

“Come on,” I said, slightly tugging it. I would not let my best friend sit here and cry to an apple of all things. He shook his head, and looked down at his lap.

“Yes, now let’s go,” I said more sternly, pulling his arm with a bit more force. He sighed in resignation, and slowly stood.

“Good choice,” I said, and led him through the crowds of people waiting for the bell to ring, seeing as how there was only about five minutes of lunch left. As I turned the corner to leave the commons area, I got Yongguk’s gaze.

 The amount of anger in his eyes was outstanding. It scared me. I’ve known Yongguk all my life, and I’ve seen him do scary things, but I had never been more afraid of him than I was at that moment.

Not willing to back down, I narrowed my eyes back at him, and stood taller. Jongup stood still beside me, his head down, not noticing the little turf war over him that was going on. Yongguk leaned over, and without breaking eye contact with me, whispered something in Zelo’s ear.

The younger boy’s head snapped up, and he glared at me, too. His gaze wasn’t nearly as forceful as Yongguk’s, but it still startled me to see such an emotion in them directed at me.

Zelo started to get up, but Yongguk caught his arm, and muttered something that looked like “not yet.” I rolled my eyes at both of them, and spun around. It was quite the spoiled-rich-kid move, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do.

I started to lead Jongup once again from the crowded room, and to a more private setting. We ended up in the same hallway that I had forced Youngjae and Dasom to make up in. Seeing that I had three and a half minutes before the bell rang, I gently grabbed Jongup’s shoulders, and forced him to face me.

“What’s wrong? And don’t say ‘nothing’, I just saw you crying to a fruit. An apple, nonetheless. You don’t even like apples,” I said, watching his face. He sighed.

“Did my brother see us leave?” he asked, eyes never leaving the scuffed tile at my feet.

“Yeah, why? Does this have something to do with him? Did he cause you to be like this?!” I questioned, unconsciously releasing the anger I felt towards Yongguk on his brother. The younger boy flinched at my harsh words.

“Jongup, I am sorry. My anger is not towards you,” I apologized. The boy’s head snapped up, his eyes fixed curiously on me. He bit his lip, and slowly, the saddened expression on his face melted, and was replaced by a small smile.

“I will get into trouble for this, but, Soyu, I have got to tell you something.”

“I’m listening. And why will you get into trouble? Don’t do something bad on account of me!” I warned, and he just laughed.

“Soyu, you’re so cute. And I would do anything for you,” he replied earnestly. I was found without words. Throughout my entire life, I have never heard Jongup said anything like that. To anyone. Ever. A blush crept up on my cheeks, and I glanced away. He just laughed more.

“See? So cute… No, Soyu, I wanted to tell you that I-

“Hi hyung! Don’t you know the bell is about to ring? We should start walking to our class. We can’t be late, now can we?” Zelo practically screamed as he came running around the corner in from the commons.

Jongup’s face darkened to a scary degree, and he swore under his breath.

“Get lost, Zelo. Tell my brother to stop getting other people to do his dirty work,” he spat at the younger boy. Zelo’s eyes widened in shock, as he looked at the older one.

“Hyung…?” he asked timidly.

Jongup silenced him with a glare, and turned to look at me. He opened his mouth to say something, when Zelo’s higher voice jumped over his.

“It’s all because of her, isn’t it? She ruins everything! Always! Can’t you just wake up? I miss you hyung! We all do!” Zelo wailed.

I was taken aback. I had never thought that the younger had such bad feelings for me. A sick feeling started forming in my stomach.

Is this what all of them thought? Did all of BAP hate me? Why? What did I do?

I pursed my lips together, and tried to stop the storm of emotions inside me. Tears tried to break their way from behind my eyes, and I closed my eyes in a futile attempt to stop them.

A single tear escaped, paving the path for more to come. I know that if I didn’t leave now, then they would all come out.

“Zelo, go away. Now. Leave. You took it too far. I can’t believe you did that,” the older of the two muttered darkly. I quickly wiped the salty drop off my cheek, and willed the rest of the tears to go down.

The pressure from behind my eyes started to leave bit by bit. When I trusted my tear ducts enough to open my eyes, I was surprised by the sight in front of me.

Yongguk had appeared silently. I realized that he never had cone anywhere, that he had probably been standing just from view, observing the situation.

I looked over to the two other boys to see what had caused his appearance, and my stomach dropped at the sight.

 Jongup was standing over Zelo, his fist held in the air. Zelo was lying on his back on the ground, as if he had been pushed by the older. I guess that this whole situation had gone down when I decided to have my almost-breakdown.

“Zelo!” Yongguk barked. The younger jumped up and went to his leader’s side. The youngest boy stared at me with so much hate, that it once again was like a punch to the gut. D

“Noona,” he spat, his voice filled with venom. Yongguk smacked him in the back of the head, and glared at him for his comment.

Yongguk spun around, and stormed down the hall, with his puppy Zelo at his heels. I didn’t miss the look he gave me as he left though, and it hurt worse than Zelo’s words.

“Soyu.”

I heard Jongup’s soft voice, and I turned. The trails of tears streaming down his face broke my heart.

“I’m-

He was once again cut off, but this time by the bell. Students fled the commons, towards their next class. He looked at me once more, before turning and fleeing into the crowd.

I stared at the place he had vacated, and this time, let the tears flow freely.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Oohh.. Drama. So terribly wonderful. xD . This took forever to write. Stupid writer's block. ._. Things shall get better soon. Yongguk won't always be so moody, Zelo won't be such a jerk, and Jongup won't be so.... Difficult. xD

In other news, I . It took me over a month to provide you with this crap. I'm so sorry. So, I reread all my chapters, and I am seriously dissatisfied with this. I know that I can do so much better, so from now on, no more crappy updates. Hopefully. I will have so much more time to write in about two week, because I will officially be done with preparing for auditions, and my finals will have passed. But please, comment, and subscribe. It makes me happy. And I like being happy :D .

Thank youu!