Crows

Born For This

            According to science, we humans have five senses. Despite the fact that science is a little bit more credible than me, I believe that humans have a sixth sense. And no, not the “ghost-seeing” sixth sense. I think that we have the ability to kind of like pick up on danger when it is near. Just like an ominous feeling when you’re alone in the dark, and you just feel like something bad is about to happen, when, boom, you run into a wall.

            And for some strange reason, I felt like I was about to run into that wall. Not literally, of course. I mean, I was standing in the middle of a slightly overgrown courtyard, with the nearest walls at least a hundred feet away. One might say, “No wonder idiot, your best friends’ rival gang is standing a few feet away with evil grins on their stupid faces. You should feel scared.”

            But something was calling my attention to the sky. I took my eyes off the idiots for a few seconds and glanced upwards. I saw just what I expected- nothing. All that met my eyes was the regular, ugly, polluted gray sky. While there was no imminent danger, the feeling remained. I nervously brought my eyes down, and glanced to Bora. She was apparently feeling the same way, as her eyes travelled up to the sky every few seconds. Pushing my worries to the back of my mind, I slid my eyes ahead of me, and locked gazes with CAP.

            “What’s this? No bodyguard boyfriends? Are you guys going through a fight? Did you,” he faked a gasp, “break up?”

He snickered. “Oh, how my heart bleeds for you.” Normally, I have an outstanding tolerance for idiocracy. But, I got like three and a half hours of sleep, and I was just in a bad mood. So, therefore, I allowed myself to express part of how I felt to them.

“I’m sorry, but you’re a moron. Now will you please move the hell out of our way so the rest of the school doesn’t suffer the fate you five idiots did?” I snapped. CAP’s faced flushed red, and L.joe took a step forward.

“What did you just say? It’d be wise if you kept in mind that you aren’t currently in the almighty protection of your wanna be gang of posers.” L.joe hissed. He tried to look intimidating, but in all reality, it just made him look like a cat, angry at the fact it got wet. I took another step in his direction, trying to move around him, but he grabbed my arm in the process, and held me in place.

“Ok, no. You guys are so blinded by your retardation that you can’t tell that BAP would obliterate you in a heartbeat. So shut up and move, before I get pissed and take matters into my own hands,” Hyorin snapped. Bora, Dasom, and myself all looked towards her, slightly shocked at her outburst. Hyorin was always well-spoken and open about her views on things, but she was never this blunt with things.

Teen Top was having the same revelation as us, apparently, because they were all staring at her as if her arm had fallen off, done a dance, and then re-attached itself. L.joe’s death grip on my arm started to slacken, but when I tried to rip it out of his grasp, he just grabbed harder. The only one who didn’t seem affected was Chanjo, who merely rolled his eyes at his brothers in arms, and sent a sideways glance to Niel. However stunned they seemed, they recovered quickly, especially L.joe.

 “Hah. Please. I’d like to see you try. It would be like a kitten and a tiger. And I don’t get why you are so obsessed with this fake school institution.  You act as though we have a future. You know, and I know, and everyone else in the whole world knows that it won’t matter what kind of grades we get, or how well we do on tests. We will all have the same pitiful jobs servicing those alien dictocrats in the city. So, yeah, go ahead and act like walking in there, and sitting at your desk will make your life so much better, when it all goes downhill from here, Hyorin.”

It was almost heartbreaking to hear him talk. His voice was strong and determined, but his eyes were broken. It was almost as if he wanted to hope that things would get better, but had gotten too hurt in the process to continue. He snorted in my ear.

“What? Nothing? Not even from Ms. Smart-aleck over here?” He shook my arm slightly, and grabbed even tighter, if possible. Obviously, he was trying to snap my arm in half or something.

I was quiet still, contemplating what he had said. He had a point. There was one destined future for us, nothing more, nothing less. But why should he be so quick to shoot hope in the heart? I glanced at him and the other five boys. Maybe we had misjudged them. Maybe, they were all just searching for something worth fighting for.

“Thought so," L.joe dryly chuckled. With that, he shoved my arm away from him, pushing me to the ground in the process.

I instantly took back all words that excused their miserable behavior. Maybe they were lost, or, maybe they really were just a group of sick, pathetic bullies , who would rather see the world burn than help it back up on its feet. My money is on the second one.

“It won’t always be like this.” I looked over, shocked at who had spoken. Dasom had a quiet fury on her face. As the youngest of us, she was slightly naïve about the whole situation, and we let her. Why kill her hope, even if it was futile? L.joe stared at her, and then burst into laughter. The other guys behind him did so as well.

“What?” he asked, incredulously.

“I said,” she snapped, drawing herself up to her full height. “It won’t always be like this.”

CAP stepped a little beyond L.joe, now proving his leadership. This was what he specialized in; killing dreams. 

“How precious,” CAP spat. “The sweet, innocent Dasom wants to believe that there is a future for her and her little friends. Hah. You see that?” He pointed to the city sky-line, which was a sickening shade of black, even though the sun should be up and shining. “Yeah, that is poisoning us, and our planet. So even if they do leave, we will all die. There is no hope, so stop dreaming.”

Anger boiled in the bit of my stomach. He had no right to say these things. It was unacceptable. I stormed over to him, and practically shoved my finger in his face.

“You listen to me, you lousy piece of crapCAP. There is hope for us, but not for you, which is why you can’t see it. You are doomed to rot on this god forsaken rock, while the rest of us will thrive. I don’t know where, I don’t know how, and I sure as heck don’t know when, but it will comes, and you will wish that you hadn’t tried to make everyone as miserable as yourself.”

My anger was pulsating, and every word came out like a knife. CAP’s face distorted in rage, and he shoved me back, but this time, I kept my footing. I walked right back up to him and sneered. “You are so pathetic. You rely on the misery of others to keep yourself happy. I pity you.”

He smirked, and took a small step back. He raised his fist, and sent it hurling towards my face. I closed my eyes and waited for impact, but it never came. I opened one eye, and saw his face frozen mere inches from mine, with a complete look of terror on his face. His eyes were glued upwards, and with a huge amount of dread in my stomach, I raised my eyes up as well.

Hovering just above our school were three of the big, black airplanes we nicknamed Crows. Crows were thought to be omens of death, as were these alien spacecrafts. The sight of the machines instantly brought back memories from my dream that I’d much rather forget. They made an eerie humming noise; the same one that was heard when they set my town on fire. Then, without warning, they vanished into the grey clouds, as if they were never there.

CAP looked back at me, and started to lower his fist. “I’m-“

“Hey!”

We all spun around, and saw BAP standing in the gates of the school, looking pissed beyond reason. I smirked at CAP.

“What was that about you beating them up?”

And without warning, Yongguk nodded his head, and Daehyun, Youngjae, and Zelo ran over to the group of five boys. Within ten seconds, CAP was on the ground nursing a bloody nose from Daehyun, and L.joe was doubled over, clutching his stomach with an overly-proud Zelo standing over him. Youngjae started towards the other four, but they ran off without a second thought.

Me, Dasom, Bora, and Hyorin let out a collective sigh. The members still by the gate ran over to us, worry etched on their faces.

“Are you guys ok?” Yongguk asked. His deep voice soothed my frayed nerves, and I knew that these boys would never let anything bad happen to us. “Is anyone hurt-“

“Oh my god! Soyu, your arm!” Youngjae cried. I glanced down, and grimaced. Right where L.joe had grabbed me was a circular bruise, blue, black, and purple in color. Everyone started spewing questions my way.

“Chill out! I’m fine! Please, stop worrying. Can we go inside now?” I pleaded, wanting to get out of the judging eyes on the courtyard. Yongguk hesitated, before nodding, and we all started indoors.

I fell towards the back of the pack, next to Jongup.

“Hey, are you ok?” he asked, his voice full of concern.

 “Yeah, it doesn’t hurt that badly.” I said. In truth, it didn’t hurt; but what they had said was affecting me emotionally. He gave me a look.

“That was not what I meant and you know it.”

I sighed. That was the thing about Jongup. I could never lie around him. He always seemed to know what I was feeling at any given moment. It was both a blessing and a curse. I smiled gratefully at him, and shook my head.

“No, but I’ll get over it.”

He bit his lip, as if he wanted to say something, but stopped. We reached the doors to the school, and he grabbed my wrist; much gentler than L.joe had, might I add.

I gave him a questioning look, but he laughed, and slid his hoodie over his head.

“Here. Wear this. I know you, and you don’t want people to ask questions about your bruise. I’ll be fine, just take it.”

I glanced down at my arm again, this time wishing that I had worn a longer shirt. I reluctantly took it.

“Okay.”

He smiled, and I pulled him in for a tight hug.

“Be good in class today, don’t give the teachers a hard time, and learn something for me, okay?” I commanded, like I did every morning.

He laughed, and nodded. He opened his mouth to say something, but Yongguk’s deep voice cut over his.

“Jongup, come here.”

Jongup smiled apologetically, and left to his big brother’s side. I turned to Daehyun, who was obviously eavesdropping on our conversation.

“Is it just me, or are the brothers being weird?” I asked.

Daehyun tilted his head. “I guess they are a little off. Jongup told Yongguk something this morning that Yongguk didn’t really like. They got into this argument, and it made the house really awkward.”

I frowned. “Do you know what about?”

“No?” he squeaked, and looked away.

“Jung Daehyun you are the worst liar in the history of the world!” I screamed, and smacked his arm.

“I’m sorry, but it’s not my place to say! And where are Dasom and Youngjae? I don’t want to be late.” I craned my neck to look for them, but only saw what appeared to be Yongguk scolding Jongup, who hung his head, and drew circles in the dirt with his shoe. I frowned again, but left it alone.

The bell rang shrilly in my ear, making me jump.

“Let’s go!” yelled Daehyun, who was now standing with Dasom and Youngjae, who appeared out of nowhere.

“Bye, Soyu!” I heard Jongup call as he and Zelo raced to the lower grades’ building. Bora waved as her, Hyorin, Yongguk, and Himchan ran into the doors, and up to the juniors’ and seniors’ halls.

That left me, Daehyun, Dasom, and Youngjae to scramble down the freshman and sophomore halls. We entered the school with the mad rush of other students trying to avoid tardies.

Dasom and Youngjae called goodbyes as they ran to make their freshie classes, and Daehyun dragged me to class. It was useless though, as whenever I tried to focus, all I could think of were the Crows, and how it was going to ruin our lives even more.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

OHMYGOD that took forever. I'm so sorry =( But school started over a month ago, and quite frankly, me being an idiot, I decided to take all honors, along with practice almost every day makes for very little writing time. So I is sorry. But, after this week, we have a break! In which I will be out of town. But, I will try to write as much as possible before I leave! Review && subscribe! :DDD

 

* Ok, so I have no clue why this chapter was rated M .. I didn't mark it, and there isn't anything bad in it, I don't think. It was probably just my computer being stupid. But, no, there was no reason why it was rated M, and I'm sorry if it confused anyone.