Getting the Devil's Number

The Devil Does Cry

       Chapter 6 - Getting the Devil's Number

  The next day, Seunghyun was silent next to Dara since he promised he wouldn’t talk unless she wanted him to. He didn’t mind because at least they were now officially “friends.” He smiled to himself as he thought about it. He was friends with Dara. Seunghyun had been aiming for that since day one!

  Dara kept glancing at him as he was thinking to himself. She sneered, but was impressed. This boy did know how to keep his word. She gave him a plus because of it. If only she knew more people like that… She thought again. Jiyong was sort of like that, but he was too annoying. She rolled her eyes, thinking about Seunghyun’s friend. Why was he so weird?

  Bom smiled as she saw the two. They were perfect for each other and she knew it! They were meant to be. She just wished Dara tried harder! She could tell she was still uncomfortable with Seunghyun. Ah, if only she found out a way for them to communicate outside of school…

  After the first class period, Dara walked out to go to the restroom while Seunghyun stayed. He stared out the window and heaved a deep sigh. When will he be able to talk to her? When will she allow him to talk?

  Bom turned around in her seat with a smile. “Hey, Seunghyun.”

  “Hey, Bom.” Seunghyun greeted with a smile of his own.

  “So… How are you and Dara?” She asked, already knowing part of the answer.

  “Well, we’re getting there. I’m not completely her friend, but I’m not a complete stranger anymore.” He sighed. “But I kind of wish we were at least friends…”

  “You want to talk to her, don’t you?” Bom asked, leaning closer. She already had a plan in her head and couldn’t wait to get it out! It was a great plan in her mind, but there was a problem in it. She knew Dara wouldn’t agree to it.

  Seunghyun blushed at the question. Yes! Yes, I want to talk to her! It screamed in his head, but he remained calm. “Y-yes.”

  “How about you try getting her number? Just ask her.”

  “But… But I know she won’t give it to me. She won’t even talk to me…” Seunghyun’s eyes fell to his desk as he fiddled with his fingers. If she won’t talk to him, what made Bom think she would give him her phone number?

  Bom shook her head. “No. I’m sure she’ll give it to you sometime.” She promised to open up. “I know she’ll open up to you.” She has to. “Don’t worry about it.” I hope she doesn’t break that promise.

  Seunghyun pursed his lips. “I guess I’ll try.”

  “Great!” She nearly jumped out of her seat. She held up a hand as she smiled adding her eye smile.

  Seunghyun didn’t know what to do, but he high five her.

  Bom giggled. Ha! I’ll make sure he gets her number either today or tomorrow!

__________

  When Dara was leaving the restroom, she bumped into Jiyong by accident. She muttered, “Sorry,” and walked away.

  Jiyong’s eyes widened as he remembered yesterday. “Ah- D-Da-Dara! Wait!” He called out and went after her. Out of habit, he grabbed Dara’s arm.

  She snapped her head towards Jiyong with a glare.

  The color from his face left him as he froze. Jiyong let her go and gulped. “Uh... I… Uhm…”

  Dara rolled her eyes and started walking again.

  “Wait!” This time he didn’t touch her.

  “What is it? And can’t you talk without stuttering.”

  Jiyong bowed his head. “I’m sorry.”

  Dara raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms over her chest. She didn’t have much time to be listening to Jiyong because they had class to attend to and she didn’t want to be late.

  “I wanted to ask you something.” Jiyong paused. He lifted his eyes towards her and rubbed the back of his neck. Meeting her gaze, he looked back at the ground. “What are you doing to my friend?” He shut his eyes tight as he was thinking Dara would punch him at that question. It was a stupid one, but he wanted to know.

  Dara was confused. What is he talking about? What is with this boy? “I didn’t do anything to him. If anything, he did something to my friend!”

  “Huh?”

  “He did something to Bom! She’s been talking about him and how great he is! But most of all, she wants me to open up to him! I don’t get it! Aish!” She made a face and scratched her head.

  Jiyong blushed as he noticed how cute Dara was. He didn’t understand why he was feeling that and twitched. Ah! She got me into a trance, too! Now I know how she lured Seunghyun! He looked away. “Wait a minute, Bom wanted you to open up to him?”

  She nodded.

  “Hm…” Strange… I thought Bom liked Seunghyun… I guess not? Ah! I’m confused! I thought she was going to say Bom liked him! Or… She does, but tries to avoid him because she knew Seunghyun is interested in Dara? Ah! I’m done thinking… “Oh, well. I guess she has a meaning behind it?”

  Dara glared. He doesn’t know anything. “You don’t understand. Why am I talking about this to you anyways?!”

  Jiyong shrugged.

  She sneered and spun on her heels. These two are just trouble. Why did I start talking to Jiyong in the first place? He’s so weird! Dara took a glance back and found Jiyong staring into space while making a face. Yeah, he really is weird.

  What Dara saw was when Jiyong was thinking about his encounter. Why is my heart beating so fast? Why am I like this? Am I scared? But then, why do I not feel jittery? I’m scared! I think she placed the same spell on me, too! ARGH!

______

  Dara returned to the classroom and spotted Bom and Seunghyun high fiving. She felt a pang as she saw the sight, but shook it off. Why would she even bother if the two were getting along anyways? She didn’t like him.

  She strode to her seat and sat down, facing the front and looking at nothing in particular. All of a sudden, her mind went to Jiyong and how he, too, confronted her. It seems like less people will get afraid of me if this keeps up. I need things to be back to normal!

  “Dara!” Bom exclaimed with a huge grin.

  What were they talking about while I was gone? Dara thought as she saw her friend’s eyes sparkling. “Hey.” She greeted coolly.

  “So. Seunghyun has something to ask you.” Bom pointed to him.

  Seunghyun’s eyes widened as he mouthed, “What are you doing?” His gaze went from Bom to Dara and back to Bom. He was getting nervous. How will he say it? “C-Can I get your number?”

  Dara blinked. “What?”

  “Can I have your number?” He asked more confidently.

  This was the first time someone has asked her that. In the past when she was super friendly, she didn’t have a phone number to give. And now that she has one, she doesn’t want to give it to anyone other than Bom. Dara opened , but the bell rung, cutting her off. She’ll just tell him her answer later.

  Bom cursed silently in her head. Damn bell.

  Seunghyun let out a deep breath he didn’t realize he was holding. I guess that means I shouldn’t get it. It looks like she doesn’t want to tell me.

________

  On the next break, Seunghyun stared at Dara while she tried her best to ignore him.

  Bom faced her and kicked her table and mouthed, “And your answer is?”

  Dara made a face that said, “Now?”

  She nodded and shifted her eyes to Seunghyun. She continued to mouth. “Yes. Do it.”

  Dara sighed and swiftly turned her head towards Seunghyun, making him jump. She closed her eyes and sighed through her nose. “Okay. You can have my number, but you can’t call or text it unless it’s an emergency or if we’re doing a project together or if I make the first move.”

  Seunghyun gulped. “O-okay,” he answered hesitantly. Actually, he was happy about the idea. He was glad he was able to get her number so easily even though communication would be rare. But he was afraid to show that happiness for Dara could refuse giving her number to him.

  She wrinkled her nose. Gosh. I’m getting weaker and weaker because of this boy. After today, I’m not going to be so soft on him or his friend, Jiyong. Not until they realize they shouldn’t be messing with me.

  Dara took out a pen and paper and wrote her name on the top half of it. She tore it off and gave him both pieces. “Write in your number.”

  Seunghyun made a faint smile which he wiped away immediately. He wrote in his number and gave it to her.

  Dara stared at it. I’ll put it in my contacts later.

  Seunghyun stared at her number. I’m going to add it at lunch! He folded it and stuffed it in his pocket.

  As Bom watched the scene, she smiled to herself. And yet, another success!