The Brother

I've Fallen For You But I'm Dead...

Joon’s POV

A small gasp escaped my mouth as the brick house hovered in front of me. Who would’ve thought that my client happened to be Hyosung’s brother. I cleared my throat and adjusted my tie. With each step towards the door, I found myself becoming more nervous. I gave a long stare at the door before finally pressing the doorbell.

Moments later, I heard footsteps running down the stairs and the sound of keys unlocking the door.

Ka-chuck.

The large mahogany door squeaked open and a young male stood behind it. Was this boy Hyosung’s brother? I gave a warm smile and introduced myself.

“I’m Lee Joon, the real-estate agent you-”

“Yes, please come in.” He invited before I could finish my sentence. His lips curled upwards and a familiar eye smile brightened his face. I was positive he was related to Hyosung.

I nodded and walked into the house. My eyes widen when I saw the building’s interior. I was speechless. It was so spectacular. Despite its old appearance, the interior was definitely modern. If there was a scale, my house would look like a dog’s kennel compared to this one.

He led me along the hallway into the kitchen and once again my mouth remained open. Down-lights were scattered across the ceiling and a glass dinner table was placed in front of the kitchen. The windows had luxurious cream coloured curtains hanging in front and a comfortable looking couch was located further in the house. I suddenly remembered that I was here for work, not sightseeing. My mouth immediately closed and I switched back to being a professional agent.

“Would you like something to drink?” Hyosung’s brother kindly offered.

“That would be great.” I replied.

He walked over and poured me some hot coffee.

“I’m Shin Dongho by the way.” He introduced as he handed me the beverage.

“Nice to meet you,” I said as I extended my hand for a handshake.

He gave me another smile. “Let’s get to business,” He said a little too eagerly for my liking.

I was a little taken back by the rush but just smiled and nodded. I retrieved all the paper work from my bag and explained the procedures. He listened intently and occasionally asked the usual questions.

“So how much do you think the house is worth?” He asked.

I smiled and got out my calculator. I was never very good at math so it was always handy to keep one nearby. I keyed in the amounts and pressed enter.

“Judging by the location, land size and quality of the house, I’d say this is worth a good $800,000 and over,” I replied.

His eyes became focused and he counted four of his fingers slowly. A satisfied smile then stretch across his face.

“That’s brilliant.” He exclaimed.

“Well I’ll leave the paper work here and if you don’t mind I would like to take some photos so I can display it when advertising.” I said and waited for his permission.

“That’s fine.”

I nodded and started to take pictures of every room. After finishing the first floor I headed upstairs. There were a total of three bedrooms. A question then suddenly popped into my head.

“Does he live all by himself?” I wondered.

I opened the door to the room on the far right corner and noticed everything inside was covered with plastic bags. My eyebrows automatically knotted as I scanned the place. The only thing left uncovered was a photo frame that was faced down on the floor. I bent over to pick it up and flip it around. Shivers ran down my spine when I saw the picture.

Staring and smiling at me was a picture of Hyosung and her brother. I suddenly heard footsteps run up the stairs and race into the room. A loud bang hit against the wall which made me jump and drop the frame.

“S-sorry,” I stuttered as bent down to pick up the photo frame.

“Don’t touch it!” Dongho’s voice unexpectedly shouted.

I froze in my position and slowly stood back up.

Dongho ran a hand through his hair which caused strands to stick up in a messy state.

“Look, I forgot to tell you that this room is off limits.” He said and gestured for me to exit.

Judging by the tone of his voice, he wanted me out, immediately.

I nodded and basically ran out of the room. There was no doubt about it, this was definitely Hyosung’s brother.

Before I left, there was this one question that lingered in my mind and I knew that I would regret it after if I didn’t ask.

“I don’t want to sound rude or anything, but what exactly was the reason you chose me to be your agent?”

Dongho’s face stiffened and he suddenly became serious.

“You want to know why? How should I put this?” He started and scratched his head, “This may sound extremely weird but I saw you in my dream a few days ago. I dreamt about this man, which happens to be you, who could help me with all my problems. After that, I saw your image again in the agents profile when I decided to finally sell the house. I don’t know, call it fate or whatever but at that moment I knew that you could help me.”

I was shocked to hear this kind of response.

“But I don’t think we’ve ever met. Why would you dream about me if I’ve never seen you before?”

“That’s the thing. I don’t know.” He replied.

I nodded, still unsatisfied about the answer. I pondered about another concern. Should I tell him about Hyosung? I decided quickly and thought that this would be a good solution because Hyosung couldn't enter the house. “Oh, I have one more thing to say.”

I cleared my throat as Dongho patiently waited for me to speak, “I believe, I know your sister.”

His expression remained unchanged but when he had finally taken in my words he looked stunned.

“I’m s-sorry,”

I took in a deep breath and rephrased my sentence, “Your sister, Hyosung. I believe that she is in desperate needs to see you,”

“Wha-” he started before I cut him off.

“I know this may sound weird but I have a secret.” I beckoned for him to come closer and leaned in to whisper is his ear, “I know this may sound like I’m lying but I’m not. I can see spirits and I met your sister.”

Dongho’s face was now white and he shook his head slowly.

“No, you can’t have. No. NO!” He cried as he fell on his knees with tears pouring down his face.

I was shocked and bent down to help him up.

“I’m so sorry.” I apologised after seeing what I had done.

He stopped sniffling but suddenly glared at me with intense eyes. A hand shot up and grabbed my collar. His eyes had a certain fire to it and I found myself staring at them the whole time without even blinking once. I gulped. He was about to say something but stopped and tightened his grip. How could someone suddenly change from looking sweet to as fierce as this? We both stared at each other for a while when he finally loosened his grip. His hand flopped to his side and his eyes lost its fire, they were now replaced with remorse and pain.

I didn’t want to say anything just in case I triggered another surprising outburst.

“If what you’re saying is true, please let me see her.” He said softly and stood up. “Please.”

I nodded and wasn’t sure if what I just did was the right thing to do.

“Meet me here,” I said as I wrote down the location of the park on a small piece of white paper, “I’ll be there at around 5pm.”

Dongho took the small slip of paper into his hands and tightly shut his eyes.

Spirit’s POV

“Interesting,” I muttered as sat back and scanned through this-, Hyosung’s file.

I re-read the document over and over, “I don’t understand. She is no different to the other spirits I have encountered, yet I feel a strong attraction to her. What’s so special about her that makes her different?”

My watch lit up and it was that time again. I casually chucked the file to one side and began my hunting, no hunting sounds too sinister… investigating is a more appropriate word to describe what I’m doing.

I spotted my target with another male waiting at the park. He looked extremely familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it,  where have I seen him before?

“Head Keeper Kikwang,” a voice  suddenly whispered and caught my attention.  I quickly turned and saw one of my subordinates. 

"Oh, its only you."

"Head Keep Kikwang, I have orders from the Commander." 

I leaned in closer so he could whisper it to me.

My eyes widen and my mouth hung open.

No way! Commander couldn't be serious about this. 

Joon’s POV

I puffed out my cheeks and scanned the park.

“Where on earth is she?”

Dongho stood beside me and looked extremely nervous. They must’ve been close. A hand suddenly tapped my right shoulder and I jumped. My body turned and Hyosung was standing right in front of me. I breathed out a sigh of relief and took a glance at Dongho.

“She’s here.”

Dongho became fully alert and turned his head left and right to find his sister. I gave a small chuckle and wanted to know how Hyosung would feel when she realises that her brother is standing in front of her. I waited for a response but there was nothing.

“Hyosung, aren’t you surprise?” I asked curiously. 

She gave me a blank look. “Surprised at what?”

I was now extremely confused. I literally waved my hands towards Dongho but she didn’t even react.

“Joon? Are you ok?”

I couldn’t take it anymore. “Hello? Your brother is right here!”

She looked taken back and peered at where my hands were pointing.

“Joon, are you playing with me now? I don’t see anyone,” her voice sounding a little irritated. 

My mouth gaped open and I realised that she couldn’t see him. Dongho gave me a confused look.

“So what did she say?” he whispered.

I bit my bottom lip. “We have a bit of a problem here.”

******************

Yay! Another chapter is up! Thank you for reading! So the Head Keeper is… Kikwang! Also, please anticipate the reason to why Hyosung can’t see her brother in the next chapter. ^^

A big thank you to those who have commented and subscribed!! Thank you~ 

<3