A Familiar Face

An Unexpected Reunion

"Kyary, I have to get something off of my chest that I've been holding in for a long time now," Kevin muttered to me, his eyes glancing down nervously at his bedspread that we were both positioned on. 

 
I grinned at his shyness. Truthfully, I had been in love with Kevin for quite some time now... He wasn't the strongest of boys, but he was unique. Both of us were bullied for being what they called "different". We were friends since grade school, and we've been inseparable since, often times hiding from the popular kids in school in the same spots. One of those places was actually where we first met.
 
~~~
 
My legs felt sore from all of the running that I've been seeming to do lately. The girls in my class...Well, to put it simply; they just didn't like me. Every time that I just tried--just tried to fit in--they would always interfere. 
 
I felt hot tears stream down my eyes as I sprinted across the school yard. I tried holding them back, but more just seemed to fall.  
 
"Get back here, you brat!" the main bully screeched from behind me. 
 
My eyes peered over the school lot, and I found a dumpster not too far away. I bounded, even faster than before, to it. I crouched low behind it. I glanced over to my right, only to find a small boy huddling down with his hands over his ears. A large pair of glasses sat on his face and I couldn't help myself but think that he was cute.
 
I peeked over the side of the dumpster and sighed when I realized that the girls were gone. I tried to present myself better by rubbing my eyes. Soon after, I poked his shoulder. "Hey."
 
He jumped in response and stared at me in horror. "Y-you're not going to hurt me, right?" he stuttered out.
 
My mouth let out a soft chuckle. "No, of course not."
 
The boy let out a sigh of relief as he apprehensively grinned. He studied my face more intently. "You're Kyary, r-right?" 
 
"Heheh... Yeah," I muttered, scratching the back of my head. I felt bad for not knowing just who exactly he was, while he knew me, but I had just moved here not too long ago. 
 
The boy presented his hand to me. I slightly grinned as I shook it. 
 
He was just too adorable to handle as his cheeks flushed when he introduced himself. "I'm Kevin--Kevin Woo."
 
"Nice to meet you, mister Woo."
 
~~~
 
Kevin seemed to look a little different than before. He lost the glasses not too long ago and now his beautiful eyes seem to be much more noticeable. 
 
"What is it?" I asked softly, my cheeks feeling hot as I idly glanced into those big, brown eyes of his.
 
He took his took his hands and began to hold mine. "I've been meaning to say this for a while now an--" 
 
"KEVIN!" a voice hollered out from downstairs.
 
The boy scoffed huffily after the sudden scream. "Really? Now of all times?" he groaned out. His eyes looked sorrowful as he muttered out, "Wait here, I'll be back."
 
I beamed to myself as he exited his room. 
 
I was in his room right now. It smelled nice for a boy's room, I had to admit... It almost seemed to have a perfumey scent to it. Everything was orderly, meaning that no clothes or various items were sprung about on his floor. My hands felt his creamy-white sheets and I immediately started to have thoughts about how it would be like to sleep in the same bed as him. I blushed a crimson color as my mind dwelled more on the thought.
 
My fantasies were interrupted by loud yelling coming from downstairs. As it continued, the more that I wanted to get up. I could clearly tell that Kevin and his mom were in the middle of a heated argument.
 
I gave in and made my way out his door and into the hallway. I could clearly make out Korea and band.
 
"Mom, I've told you countless times that I don't want to go there!" Kevin yelled.
 
"I don't care whether you want to or not!" His mom sounded off in retort.
 
"B-bu--"
 
"NOW! Your father will be here to pick you up at any moment to take you to the airport!"
 
"What about my friend?!" 
 
"Tell her to go home, you won't be seeing her ever again, anyways."
 
"Mom!"
 
"Go!"
 
"Mom! You're cra--"
 
SLAP. His voice was broken off by a loud cracking sound.
 
I grimaced at the loud noise.  Did his mom really just hit him?! His own mother! 
 
I started to hear loud stomping coming from down the stairs, and I immediately raced back to Kevin's room. I sat on his bed once more and tried to keep my feelings in check, but I found my efforts useless as Kevin came back in and I saw a huge, red mark on his left cheek. I sauntered over to him and placed my hand up to his cheek. 
 
"Are you okay?!" I asked, feeling tears well up in my eyes.
 
"Ye-yeah. Moms can be really insane sometimes," he joked, but I could tell by his face that he was in a great deal of pain. 
 
A single tear fell down from my cheek as Kevin suddenly embraced me. He weakly whispered into my ear, "I'm moving to South Korea to be part of a boy band." 
 
I buried my head into his shoulder and uncontrollably wept.  I couldn't believe this. 
 
~~~
 
RING (ding dong).
 
My phone went off in the office again for the third time today and suddenly everyone turned their heads toward me. I quickly apologized, picked it up, and walked out into the lobby.
 
"Hey!"  My friend, Min Young, sang into the phone, earning an abrupt hush from me.
 
"Why must you always call me whenever I'm in the middle of work! Gosh, you Koreans can be so rude sometimes!" I admitted into the phone.
 
"Well, it is time for you to be off, anyways! It is six, isn't it!"
 
"Yeah, but I'm--,"
 
"Working overtime, I know. Seriously, you work twenty-four hours a day, Kyary! "
 
"Well, excuse me if I need money to put food on the table!"
 
"You live in an apartment that only charges 300,000 won per month (roughly 300 dollars), and you get paid three times that amount just for 2 weeks of work! Come on and spend a night out with me for once!"
 
She was speaking the truth. My accounting job did indeed give me a large sum of money and I saved a majority of it. 
 
"Well..."
 
"You've been single for way too long! Come along and we might be able to find you a man!"
 
I face-palmed. Really, the whole dating thing just wasn't really my forte. I was going to turn twenty-five this year, though, so maybe... "Fine."
 
"That-a girl! I'll come over around seven thirty, okay?"
 
I groaned out, "Okay."
 
I told my boss that I'd be leaving early and he complied with my decision. Eventually, I got into my car and arrived at my apartment. 
 
I placed my bag down onto my bed and made my way to my bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror, wondering how this office woman could be going to a club or a weird gathering of that sort. I took my hair down from my high bun and let it down. It reached all the way down to my lower back now... I really needed to get it cut, along with my bangs. 
 
"Okay, that's a little better," I admitted to myself when the doorbell suddenly rang.
 
My eyes flew to my watch. It was only six-thirty! How could she be so early? I wandered over to the door and saw no other than Min Young.
 
"Annyeong!" she chirped out.
 
I hesitantly waved back and scanned her from head to toe. God, was her dress short, or what? A huge pile of dresses were in her arms and I felt myself gulp.
 
"Let's get you ready!" Min Young sang, chuckling.
 
~~~
 
"Ugh! This dress is beyond itchy!" I whined to Min Young. 
 
She frowned at me. "Don't scratch! You'll ruin the fabric!" 
 
Min Young and I were currently at a new club that just opened up in Seoul and the atmosphere wasn't exactly the best. Drinks were splashing around out of almost everyone's cups and some of the girls here were dancing--well--rather inappropriately. 
 
Min Young literally caked my face with make-up and the heavy, glittery eye shadow was starting to irritate my eyes.  She really didn't change my hair too much, she just curled it. The black cocktail dress that I was wearing was beyond what I had in mind for length...The thing pretty much went up to my . I must admit, I did look pretty, but just a tad whorish. 
 
The scent of heavy amounts of cologne and sweat flew into my nostrils as we made our way to the crowded dance floor. Min Young suddenly grabbed my arms and began throwing them about. In response, I gradually began to lose my balance and I tripped over a nearby liquor bottle. I was caught by a long pair of arms. My face was bombarded by their shirt. I got a huge whiff of the person's scent, which surprising stunk of neither cologne nor alcohol.
 
I immediately did a ninety-degree bow and apologized. 
 
"Oh, it's alright," a harmonic male voice responded.
 
I glanced up and saw a pair of gorgeous, brown eyes. Something seemed oddly familiar... I could tell right away he saw something as well. I couldn't help but notice that his hair was not exactly naturally that color. It was a caramel-blonde color, which I kind of liked. His makeup was very well-done, it even looked better than mine. We rarely see men with makeup on in America and not much in Korea, for that matter. I looked over as Min Young called for me. "No, wait," he said. "Your face has changed a lot, Kyary."