Cheer Up, Ri Ah!

My Puppy Park Chan Yeol [DISCONTINUED]

Saturday came and Ri Ah was still in a slump from her low score. She heard the doorbell ring and went to answer it.

“Ri Ah!” the three boys greeted cheerily when she opened the door.

“Oh, Su Ho-ssi, Baek Hyun Sunbae, D.O-ssi. What are you doing here?”

“We’re here to do damage control,” Su Ho answered.

Ri Ah looked confused. Chan Yeol came down to join them, all dressed.

“You guys are here!” he said with a big grin. “Okay, Ri Ah, go get ready. We’re going out!” he said turning to Ri Ah.

“Going out? Where?” Ri Ah asked, still confused.

“To cheer up. I got a bad score on my Biology test, and you didn’t do well on your paper. We need to forget about our troubles and reenergize. So get ready,” he said, pushing Ri Ah towards her room.

Ri Ah gave in to his request and got dressed. She came back out from her room and left with Chan Yeol and his friends.

“Where are we going?” Ri Ah asked from the front seat as Chan Yeol drove.

“It’s a surprise,” Baek Hyun answered from the back where he and the others were sitting.

“Don’t worry, Ri Ah, you’ll enjoy it,” Chan Yeol assured her.

They pulled up to a large parking lot and the five got out of the car. Ri Ah followed as they headed to the entrance of Lotte World.

“Lotte World?” Ri Ah asked.

“Yes, it’s been a while since we’ve been to an amusement park,” Su Ho answered her.

Chan Yeol started calling someone as Baek Hyun went over to the ticket booth and bought the tickets.

“Are you almost here?” he asked the person on the other end. “Okay, we’re near the ticket booth right now. See you soon!”

“Who was that?” Ri Ah asked him.

“That was her,” he said pointing behind her. Ri Ah turned around to see who he was referring to.

“Hye Ri-ssi?” Ri Ah asked with wide eyes.

“Ri Ah!” she called to her, making her way to the group. “Chan Yeol told me how you were feeling down and asked me to come along to cheer you up,” she explained to her.

Ri Ah looked over at Chan Yeol with a soft gaze. He grinned at her. “I’m such a cool pet, aren’t I?”

Ri Ah smiled, “Yes, you’re the best.”

“Alright guys, I got the tickets!” Baek Hyun interrupted them as he walked over to the group. “Oh, you must be Hye Ri. Nice to meet you, I’m Baek Hyun,” he said to her.

“Hello,” she said with a small bow.

“And this is Su Ho hyung and D.O,” Baek Hyun continued as he pointed to each. Hye Ri blushed when D.O.  was introduced.

“Okay, now that we all know each others’ names, how about we finally go in and have some fun?” Chan Yeol remarked.

“Okay! Let’s go!” the other boys yelled as they lead the way inside.

“Ri Ah, who are these other boys?” Hye Ri asked her quietly as the two walked together, arm in arm.

“They’re Chan Yeol’s friends.”

“Oh, wow. They’re really cute. You’re so lucky to have them as friends.”

Ri Ah laughed. “Well, I’m not really close with them, but they are really nice.”

“Um…” Hye Ri asked hesitantly. “Do you know if they have girlfriends?”

“I don’t. Why?” Ri Ah asked curiously.

“Just asking,” Hye Ri quickly asked. Ri Ah gave a knowing smile. She had noticed how Hye Ri seemed shy when D.O. was introduced.

“What should we do first?” Su Ho asked.

“How about that?” D.O. said excitedly as he pointed to the Gyro Drop where people were strapped around a tall column and dropped from 70 meters.

“Uh…I don’t know,” Su Ho said uneasily.

“Why? Is our always composed Su Ho Hyung scared?” Chan Yeol joked.

“No,” Su Ho rebutted. “Fine, let’s go then.”

The 6 waited in line for a half hour before it was finally their turn. They got on, with Ri Ah sitting in between Hye Ri and Chan Yeol, and all held on tightly to the handles. The ride slowly went up and stopped at the top.

“Scared Ri Ah?” Chan Yeol asked her.

“A little,” she said with a gulp as she looked down at the people below that looked like ants.

“Here, hold my hand,” he said, reaching his hand over to her. She took it and held tightly. Chan Yeol smiled at the frightened Ri Ah.

The announcer spoke, “Are you all ready?”

“Yes!” the riders screamed.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes!” they answered again.

“Okay…10, 9, 8, 7, 6” the announcer started the countdown slowly. “5-4-3-2-1!” he finished quickly and the ride dropped at an alarming speed as everyone screamed. Ri Ah kept her eyes closed as she screamed and even Chan Yeol yelled with his deep voice.

“Is it over?” the announcer said. “No, I think you can handle it once more,” he taunted as the ride slowly went up again. Except midway it fell again and the riders screamed even louder, not expecting the fall.

“Now, it’s over,” the announcer finished.

Su Ho gave a sigh of relief as he unfastened his safety strap. “That was too much. How could he not warn us like that?” he asked with a slightly pale face.

“Su Ho-ssi, are you okay? You don’t look well.” Ri Ah asked with concern.

“He’ll be fine,” Baek Hyun said as he put his arm around Su Ho’s shoulder and smiled. “Su Ho Hyung actually doesn’t like these thrilling rides, but he didn’t want to look weak in front of you ladies,” he finished, looking at Ri Ah and Hye Ri.

“What should we do next?” Chan Yeol interjected.

“How about something easy? I need to reenergize before I try any fast ride again, too,” Ri Ah remarked.

“Oh, then what about the tea cup ride?” Hye Ri suggested.

“I’m up for it,” Su Ho said raising his hand. Everyone laughed at how quickly he agreed.

Chan Yeol smiled at the laughing Ri Ah. That’s right Ri Ah, a happy Ri Ah is the prettiest.

The six of them squeezed into one tea cup. D.O., Chan Yeol, and Baek Hyun tried to spin the wheel in the middle as fast as they could to make the cup spin faster, making Su Ho regret agreeing to go on the ride. Ri Ah and Hye Ri laughed as he groaned and tried to plead with them to stop.

“That was almost as bad as the Gyro Drop,” Su Ho said with a pale face as he dizzily walked out of the cup.

“At least you didn’t eat beforehand, Hyung.” Chan Yeol said with a laugh.

“Speaking of which, I’m hungry,” D.O. said as he rubbed his stomach.

“What do you guys want to eat?” Baek Hyun asked, turning to the girls.

“I’m in the mood for hot dogs,” Hye Ri answered.

“Sure, hot dogs sound good,” Ri Ah nodded in agreement.

The six sat at a table as they ate their hot dogs and drank soda.

“So Ri Ah, are you feeling a little better?” Su Ho asked.

Ri Ah nodded. “Thank you all, for taking the time to do this for me,” she answered shyly.

“Well, it’s not like coming to an amusement park was a difficult thing for us to do. We’re having fun too,” Baek Hyun answered with a laugh. “What about you Chan Yeol? Did you forget about your Biology test?”

“I did until you just brought it up again,” he said with a scowl. “By the way, how could you suggest I take Professor Kim?”

“What do you mean? He’s one of the best professors at our school,” Baek Hyun responded.

“Yeah, well I don’t see what’s so great about him,” Chan Yeol answered.

Ri Ah and Hye Ri giggled, knowing fully well why Chan Yeol didn’t like their professor.

“What’s so funny?” D.O. asked them curiously.

“I think I know why Chan Yeol has a particular dislike for Professor Kim,” Hye Ri answered with a big grin.

“Do tell,” Baek Hyun said.

Chan Yeol groaned. He hadn’t told his friends of his embarrassing first day. They wouldn’t let him live it down if they knew and he was hoping to keep it secret from them for as long as possible. Forever, if possible.

“Well, Chan Yeol came late to class on the first day and he had to do a punishment,” Hye Ri started.

“Ahh yes, Professor Kim’s famous dice penalty,” Baek Hyun said with a nod of understanding. “What did you get?” he asked with a laugh to Chan Yeol.

“3.” Chan Yeol answered looking away. Baek Hyun laughed even harder.

“Why? What does a 3 mean?” D.O. asked, wanting to join in on the laughter.

“Dancing and singing to the three bears song,” Hye Ri answered.

“Really?” D.O. said with a big grin. “You did the three bears dance? In front of the whole class? On the first day?” he asked between laughs.

“Oh man, I wish I was there,” Su Ho said, also joining in on the laughter. “This kid is always getting into trouble and he finally got a punishment fit for his age.”

“Yah!” Chan Yeol yelled at his Hyung.

“Chan Yeol-ssi, you shouldn’t say ‘yah’ to your Hyung like that,” Ri Ah lightly scolded.

“It’s okay, Ri Ah. This kid still doesn’t know his manners,” Su Ho said with a smile. Chan Yeol crossed his arms and pouted. “See, he’s pouting like a kid,” Su Ho pointed out and everyone except Chan Yeol laughed.

“Aish, instead of wasting time making fun of me, let’s go on more rides!” Chan Yeol said in an irritated voice as he stood up to throw his trash away. The rest continued to laugh at Chan Yeol’s childishness but soon got up and followed him.

“Okay, what next?” Baek Hyun asked.

“Since we just ate, let’s not go on anything fast,” Su Ho commented.

“Oh, how about the haunted house then?” D.O. said as he pointed towards a large mansion with the words ‘Ghost House’ written on it.

As they walked towards the house, Su Ho read a sign with the guidelines about the attraction. “Hmm, it says children under 6 need to be accompanied by an adult. Make sure you stay with us at all times,” Su Ho said to Chan Yeol as he patted his shoulder.

“Hyuuuuung,” Chan Yeol whined making Ri Ah giggle. “Fine, I’ll stick by the one that’s the most mature out of all of us,” he said as he put his arm around Ri Ah’s shoulder.

“Me?” she asked surprised. “But wouldn’t Su Ho-ssi be the most mature?”

“Su Ho Hyung can’t even handle the tea cup ride,” Chan Yeol pointed out.

“But I don’t like scary things. I can’t even read scary books or watch scary movies,” Ri Ah responded.

“Oh, then you should hold my hand Ri Ah,” Baek Hyun said as he took hold of her hand, making Ri Ah’s eyes widen. “Chan Yeol is a scaredy cat and will probably scream more than you,” he joked.

“Hey! I’m not a scaredy cat!”

“Okay, okay. So Ri Ah, who do you want to go in with?” Baek Hyun asked her.

“Um, I think I’ll go in with Hye Ri,” she said as she freed herself from the two boys and held onto Hye Ri’s arm.”

“Oh, but I don’t do well with haunted houses either,” Hye Ri said.

“At this rate we’re never going to go in. I’ll go in with Hye Ri and Ri Ah can go in with Su Ho Hyung,” D.O. finally interjected. “And the two BFFs can hold each other’s hands,” he said to Chan Yeol and Baek Hyun.

D.O. held out his hand to Hye Ri and she shyly took hold of it, her heart racing as he firmly gripped it. Su Ho also smiled as he held out his arm to Ri Ah who held onto it tightly and gulped as the two stepped into the haunted house after D.O. and Hye Ri. Baek Hyun and Chan Yeol crossed their arms and looked away from each other.

“I’m not holding your hand,” Baek Hyun said as he followed in after Su Ho and Ri Ah.

“Don’t worry, I don’t need you to,” Chan Yeol scoffed as he entered the house.

Inside it was completely dark except for dim lights that guided the way. Ri Ah looked around nervously.

“It’s okay Ri Ah, I’m not good with fast rides, but I can handle scary things. I’ll make sure nothing happens to you,” Su Ho said to her when he noticed her grip his arm tighter.

“Thank you, Su Ho-ssi,” Ri Ah answered, comforted by his words.

Up ahead, Hye Ri screamed as a statue came to life and tried to grab her arm. D.O. instinctively pulled her towards him and hugged her. He gulped when he realized what he had done and quickly let her go. Hye Ri was blushing like crazy but luckily it was too dark for him to see.

“Um, why don’t you hold onto my arm instead,” he shyly said as he held it out to her. She lightly held on to it and they continued on.

In the back, Chan Yeol and Baek Hyun were walking through silently.

“Woah!” Chan Yeol yelled as he jumped away from a figure that popped out of the shadows. “Jeez, why do people like haunted houses anyways,” he complained.

“Well, for guys, being able to handle scary and gory things makes them feel more superior. It’s male instinct to want to be able to overcome threatening situations,” Baek Hyun answered him.

Chan Yeol shook his head at his friend and gave him a sideways glance, “It was a rhetorical question. You don’t have to get all psychoanalytical when we’re here to have fun.”

“I’m a premed student. For me, getting psychoanaltical is fun.”

Chan Yeol sighed at his friend. “Wait a minute, are you saying I’m not manly because I don’t like haunted houses?” he asked when he had thought about what Baek Hyun had said.

“Took you long enough,” Baek Hyun said as he smiled at his slow friend and walked ahead.

“Yah!” Chan Yeol angrily yelled as he pointed at him from behind.

Baek Hyun chuckled to himself. Chan Yeol was very easy to make fun of and hence was the subject of their group’s many jokes. Chan Yeol ran and caught up to him.

“So, you’re not…interested in Ri Ah…are you?” Chan Yeol asked him hesitantly.

“Ri Ah? Mmm, I could see myself dating her, but it seems like she’s not really interested,” Baek Hyun answered.

“Oh, is that so?” Chan Yeol nonchalantly said, although he was feeling relieved inside.

“Why? Am I not allowed to like her?” Baek Hyun asked Chan Yeol, giving him a sideways glance.

“Huh?” Chan Yeol asked surprised. “Um, I mean, I can’t stop you from liking someone.”

“No, but you can stop me from acting on it,” he answered, trying to fish out Chan Yeol’s true feelings.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, if you like her, I would give up immediately,” he responded.

“I already told you guys I don’t like her like that,” Chan Yeol quickly answered. “I’m just…watching out for her…like a brother.”

Baek Hyun shook his head and smiled. He wasn’t really going to approach Ri Ah like that. He could tell Chan Yeol liked Ri Ah, even if he hadn’t realized it himself just yet. He wouldn’t have gone to such lengths to cheer her up if he didn’t.

“Ahh!” Chan Yeol screamed again as a hand grabbed his ankle. “Aish, why aren’t they grabbing you?” he complained again. Baek Hyun just chuckled at his friend.

Baek Hyun and Chan Yeol were the last to exit the haunted house.

“How was it?” Su Ho asked them as they came out.

“It wasn’t really that scary,” Baek Hyun shrugged. Chan Yeol threw him a dirty look.

“I’m guessing Chan Yeol disagrees with you,” D.O. said, noticing his expression.

“No, I took it like a man,” Chan Yeol answered confidently. Baek Hyun shook his head and smiled to himself.

They went on a few more rides, with Su Ho sitting out for the thrill rides. He assured the rest that he would rather watch and would be fine by himself. It had gotten dark by now and as the last ride, they decided to go on the skyride and enjoy the scenery from above. They got their own cart and they all stood in front of the windows on either side, looking out on the ground below that was lit up from the lights of the attractions.

[Song that was playing while I wrote this and it seemed to fit with the mood. Absolutely love this song!: Daichi Miura – Stay With Me]

“Wow, Seoul has its own charm at night,” Ri Ah remarked with a smile as she saw the flashing colors from the rides and all the people moving around like small ants.

“Did you have fun today?” Chan Yeol asked next to her.

“Of course!” Ri Ah responded with a big grin.

“I’m glad,” he said with a smile.

“Thank you, Chan Yeol-ssi,” Ri Ah said as she looked at him with sincere eyes.

“I told you on the first day that I would make you smile every day. It’s a good thing you didn’t make me break my promise,” he grinned.

Ri Ah chuckled. Nearby Hye Ri was also looking down at the park with excitement. D.O. couldn’t help but smile at her. Baek Hyun noticed the chemistry between the two and sighed to himself.

“I guess it’s just us two, Hyung” he said to Su Ho next to him.

“Huh? What do you mean? There’s six of us.”

Baek Hyun shook his head with a smile. “You know, for a law student, you don’t really know how to read between the lines, do you, Hyung?”

Su Ho just furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

When they landed on the other side of the park, they made their way to the exit.

“How are you getting home, Hye Ri-ssi?” D.O. asked her.

“I came here by bus so I’m going to take the bus back,” she answered him.

“But it’s late and you shouldn’t go home by yourself,” he said with concern. “I’ll take you home,” he offered.

“Oh, it’s okay, I’m fine by myself,” Hye Ri answered in a fluster.

“It’s no problem,” he said to her. “I’m going to take Hye Ri back. See you guys later and bye Ri Ah!” he said to the other four.

“Goodbye Ri Ah! I hope you’ve cheered up!” Hye Ri said to Ri Ah.

“Yes, thank you for coming. Goodbye Hye Ri-ssi, D.O.-ssi,” she answered with a smile and the two walked off.

“Okay, well I guess it’s us four then,” Chan Yeol said after they left.

“Actually, Hyung and I are going to get some drinks. Why don’t you and Ri Ah go home?” Baek Hyun said to Chan Yeol as he put his arm around Su Ho’s shoulder.

“We are?” Su Ho asked as he looked at Baek Hyun. Baek Hyun just gave him a firm look and used his eyes to point towards Chan Yeol and Ri Ah. “Oh yeah, we are,” he said when he got the message. “I guess we’ll see you two later then. Bye Ri Ah!” he said with a smile.

“Bye Ri Ah! Bye Chan Yeol!” Baek Hyun said with a wink before he and Su Ho turned to leave.

“Uh, bye Su Ho-ssi, Baek Hyun Sunbae,” Ri Ah said with a wave, a little confused about the way they behaved.

Chan Yeol  just stared at their friends with his mouth open. “Why didn’t they invite me for drinks?”

“If you want to join them, I can take the bus back home,” Ri Ah said to him.

“Huh?” Chan Yeol said turning to Ri Ah. “Oh no, I’ll drive you home. Actually, I shouldn’t be drinking anyways since I have to drive. Come on Ri Ah, let’s go,” he said and put his arm around her shoulder to lead her to the car.

“Thanks again for today,” Ri Ah said as they reached home.

“It was no problem,” Chan Yeol answered with a smile.

“Oh yeah, how much do I owe you for my ticket and food?” she asked him.

Chan Yeol laughed. “You don’t owe me anything. Think of it as a favor to me that you came. I also needed cheering up.”

“Are you sure?” Ri Ah asked

“Yes. Speaking of favors, your debt is still…175,400 won” he said as he looked at his phone. “But you coming with me today doesn’t reduce your debt because I paid for your ticket and food. You still have a long way to go Ri Ah. Will you be done before the semester is over?” he said with a laugh

Ri Ah smiled. Thank you, Chan Yeol-ssi. I know you did this for me. I will definitely repay you for all your kindness one day.


Author's Note

Ugh, this took so long to write! Writing about an amusement park adventure is harder than I thought. I think I spent too much time trying to fit a bunch of scenes in, but I wanted the boys to come back and have some more “story time” :)

So, as you can see, I decided to give Hye Ri more “story time” as well. I do agree with you nasomi2011-ssi. You guys don’t really know anything about Hye Ri, but I didn’t want this story to be too 1D and only focus on the main characters. That’s why I decided that Hye Ri will have a love line with D.O. (Sorry Hamachi-ssi, I think these two would be the best match for each other). I will try to shed more light on her in the future. Sorry for ignoring you before Hye Ri-ah! – 6/26/12 8:06 PM00