Uninvited

Holding On

It took Jonghyun maybe three seconds to process what he had heard. It took him less than one to decide hiding behind Jinki was the best plan of action. Key’s features clouded slightly with a look of anger, and he went to stand beside the appa, Taemin joining him a moment later. Jonghyun wasn’t exactly shielded, but the protective posture his family took up was a clear indication of the distrust they were all experiencing. Roo’s low growls had yet to cease, though, and that bothered Jonghyun more than anything. His puppy had never been anything but friendly, and he bent down, patting his leg softly.

“Roo.” He called, and she stopped what she was doing in favor of looking at Jonghyun. “Come here, Roo.”

The small dog looked back at the stranger, then backed up until she was within Jonghyun’s reach. Jonghyun scooped her up, looking at his appa with a concerned expression. Jinki rubbed Jonghyun’s back absently, still looking over the man he had allowed to enter his home. For some reason, he didn’t want to leave any of his children alone with the man for even a second. It wasn’t like he was comfortable with his kids being around strangers anyway, but normally he didn’t feel so protective. He his lips before speaking.

“I’m sorry, who did you say you are?” Jinki asked, his tone still polite, but a bit more icy than before.

“I’m an old friend of Jonghyun’s family.” He said, his eyes not leaving the shortest boy.

“Funny, I don’t remember you.” Key said sarcastically. The man’s eyebrows shot up.

“Pardon?” He said. Key sighed, but it was Taemin who spoke up.

“We’re Jonghyun’s family.” The youngest explained, elbowing Key softly. Key rolled his eyes.

“Adoptive family.” The stranger corrected, his face losing some of the kindness that had been lingering there. Jinki stiffened slightly.

“But family none the less.” Jinki said firmly. The man nodded.

“Of course.” He said. “In any case, may I please speak with him?”

Jinki turned to Jonghyun, who was still cradling Roo against his chest silently. Jonghyun shrugged uncomfortably. He didn’t want to be rude, and he was sure that everyone else was just reacting to his discomfort. They had a tendency of doing that, and while he was grateful, it also came with a small amount of guilt. Jinki bit his lip, then nodded slowly, reaching for Roo.

“Taemin, can you take care of her for a few minutes?” Jonghyun asked, gesturing to the dog their appa now held. Taemin nodded slowly, taking the pup and heading off to find his own. Key followed after hesitating a moment, but Jinki stayed where he was, and Jonghyun was grateful. “What did you say your name was?”

“Oh, my apologies. My name is Sangho.” He said, holding out his hand. Jonghyun stared at him for a long moment before cautiously taking his hand, gripping it firmly and shaking it. He pulled his hand back as quickly as he could, staying close to Jinki. “I suppose you want to know how I know you, hm?”

Jonghyun nodded slowly, not sure what else he could do. Jinki motioned for him to sit on the couch, and he did just that, watching Sangho sit in the chair. Jinki took a seat beside Jonghyun, whose mind was racing with a million thoughts and questions. A friend of the family? Then why didn’t he remember him? Wouldn’t his sister have told him if they had a friend? It didn’t make sense, but he waited patiently for this stranger to offer information.

“I knew your mother long before you were born. Before she had any children at all, actually.” He said. “But, I fathered her first child - her daughter. We split up maybe five years later, but I used to visit your sister all the time, and I would see you, then, too.”

Jonghyun sat frozen as this information processed. He wasn’t sure what to make of it, but for some reason he wasn’t sure he wanted to hear anything else this man had to say. Jinki looked at him with a worried expression, and he fought to keep his facial expressions under control. Sangho folded his hands together, sitting silently while Jonghyun chewed his lip, but eventually he decided to speak up once more.

“I’ve been looking for you and your sister for twelve years now. When I learned she had passed, I began looking even harder, because I knew you would be alone. I know it can be hard to go through something like that without any support, so I wanted to help you, but it wasn’t until about a week ago that I finally found out where you were.” He said, and Jonghyun felt his stomach rolling. “Your mother asked me to look out for you when she went away. That’s why I’m here now.”

“M-my mother?” Jonghyun sputtered out. He smiled, nodding.

“She writes to me often.” He said. Jonghyun swallowed hard.

“She killed my father.” Jonghyun said softly. Sangho sighed.

“In self defense. Her case is being looked at again, because they think they may have falsely convicted her.” He said. “I know they did, but they have to realize it themselves.”

“What do you mean?” Jonghyun asked. Sangho his lips.

“Your father was very violent. He attacked her, and she fought back. For her to survive, she had to kill him.” He explained. Jonghyun glanced over at Jinki, who was expressionless, then looked back at Sangho. “I want to keep my promise to your mother and look after you. I’ve got an extra bedroom at my house, so if you want you can come stay with me instead. I think it’s better that you stay with your actual family, no offence.”

Jonghyun’s eyes widened, and he turned to look at Jinki. The appa had his eyes squeezed shut, and Jonghyun could see that he was clenching his teeth. He wanted Jinki to speak up, to tell this man that he already had a family, that he was Jonghyun’s appa, that he was perfectly fine where he was, but when Jinki opened his eyes, Jonghyun got scared. He swallowed hard, waiting for the elder to speak, and when he did, it wasn’t at all what he expected.

“It’s up to you.” Jinki said, looking at Jonghyun seriously. “If you want to go, then you can go.”

“Wh..what?” Jonghyun asked, his blood running cold.

-----------------------------------------

I want to apologize right now for how short the chapter is, but if I tried to make it longer I don't think it would have been as...intense?

Anyway, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented! I don't know if you guys know this, but when I log in and see that I have new comments it makes me happier than anything else. I understand a lot of people are silent readers, but please, if you have anything at all that you want to say, say it, and I'll love you forever. <3