Theory

Holding On

“I’ll be back in a few hours, ok guys?” Jinki said from the entryway of the shoe room. They all nodded, barely paying attention to the appa - they were too wrapped up in their various activities. Jinki shook his head, pulling the door open before pausing for a moment. “Call if you need anything.”

Key waved absently, not looking up from his computer. He and Jonghyun were watching an American television show together, and Taemin was playing video games on the television. Jinki smiled, heading out the door without another word. The second the car was out of the driveway Taemin his pause on his game, and Key paused the show. Jonghyun looked between them, confusion on his features, and Taemin moved up onto the couch with them.

“That’s the second time in a week.” Taemin said. Key nodded knowingly, but Jonghyun looked completely lost.

“Both times were Fridays, too.” Key pointed out. “We’ll need it to happen one more time, but I think we’ve got solid evidence here.”

“Definitely.” Taemin said, nodding. Jonghyun’s eyes darted back and forth between the two. “Who do you think it is?”

“Maybe someone from work?” Key offered. Taemin shook his head.

“It’s been going on for a while. If it was someone from work, we would have picked up on it while we were still living there.” Taemin said. Key looked surprised.

“How do you know it’s been going on for that long?” Key asked. Taemin sighed.

“Because I pay attention. And he’s being way too obvious about it, which means it’s starting to get more serious. He’s comfortable with it, so he’s going to start looking for a way to tell us. He’s leading in to it.” Taemin said, and Key’s eyes widened.

“Oh. My. God.” He said, looking completely stunned. “You’re right!”

“I know I’m right. I’m always right.” Taemin said, sticking out his chest. Key rolled his eyes, pushing him over, and Jonghyun finally tugged on Key’s sleeve. He’d been unusually quiet since he had dropped off Roo the day before, so Key gave him his full attention now.

“What are you guys talking about?” He asked. Key tilted his head to the side.

“You didn’t notice at all, did you?” He asked softly. Jonghyun scrunched up his nose, but chose not to answer. Key sighed. “He keeps going out to dinner with a ‘friend,’ Jonghyun.”

“So?” Jonghyun asked, not understanding why Key had made air quotes around the word friend.

“So...we think it’s a girl friend.” Key said. Jonghyun still looked lost, but nodded slowly. Taemin sighed, throwing himself across Key’s lap.

“What do you think we’re saying, here?” Taemin asked. Jonghyun started to feel embarrassed, since he clearly had no idea what was going on.

“He’s friends with a girl.” Jonghyun said, his tone about as innocent as it could be. Key was about to say something when understanding dawned on Jonghyun’s face. “Wait, wait. That explains everything!”

“Everything? What everything?” Key asked, then looked at Taemin. “What is he talking about?”

“Shush.” Taemin said, waving him off in favor of listening to Jonghyun.

“Well, I’m allergic to perfume, right? It makes me sneeze really bad, so if his friend was a girl and she was in the car, then that explains why I couldn’t stop sneezing on Monday. And that explains the hair I found in his car yesterday!” Jonghyun said, nodding. “I thought someone broke in, but if it was his friend that explains why nothing was missing. And she’s probably the one who put on pop music in his car, too! I wonder why he didn’t tell us his friend was a girl..”

“Jonghyun, you know we love you, right?” Key asked, his face serious. Jonghyun seemed surprised, but nodded slowly.

“I love you guys, too.” He said sincerely. Key nodded.

“Good. Then, don’t take this the wrong way, ok?” He said. Jonghyun nodded again, looking a bit confused. “How is it that you can be so book smart and street smart, but not understand a single thing about people?”

“W-what?” He asked. Key sighed dramatically.

“Appa is dating someone.” Key said. “I’m almost sure of it.”

Jonghyun opened his mouth to respond, but then shut it slowly. Dating someone? Their appa? No way. There was...there was no way. Right? He would have told them, right? Why wouldn’t he? That was a big deal. That was huge. Why would he keep something that big, that monumentally huge from them? But...then again...it made perfect sense. He never specified who his friend was that he was meeting, nor did he ever talk about where he went or what he did. Jonghyun felt sick suddenly, and he leaned back on the couch silently.

“How long do you think it’s been going on?“ Key asked. Taemin shrugged, leaning back.

“At least a year.” He said. “Remember when he started taking lunch breaks off, or leaving work early? It was every other week, and then it was once a week, then it was a few times a week. He’s not very subtle.”

“Oh my god, you’re right.” Key said, nodding. He turned to Jonghyun, his mouth open to ask his opinion when he saw the expression on his face. “Jjongie?”

“De?” Jonghyun replied softly. Taemin watched him quietly as Key thought of what to say.

“Are you ok?” He asked. Jonghyun nodded slowly, but it was the most obvious lie Key had ever seen in his life. “Then why do you look like you’re about to cry?”

Jonghyun shrugged, not really wanting to get into it. His messed up head had somehow come to the conclusion that if Jinki was dating he would stop caring about them so much, but that thought had quickly been erased. Key, Taemin, and Minho had been in Jinki’s life much longer than this mysterious woman. He would never stop loving them, but Jonghyun? He had been last minute, a surprise no one had planned for. If Jinki was going to stop caring about anyone, it would be him. After all, they had only known each other for six months.

“Jonghyun?” Key said softly. Jonghyun didn’t respond.

“I’m gonna call appa...maybe right now isn’t the best time for him to be out, with Roo and Minho being gone and all...” Taemin said, reaching in his pocket. Jonghyun looked up suddenly.

“A-ani!” He said, shaking his head. “I’m just tired. I’m gonna go call Minho and go to sleep, arasso?”

“...It’s only six o’clock, Jonghyun.” Key said.

Jonghyun nodded absently, getting up and heading toward the stairs. He couldn’t interrupt Jinki’s date. He couldn’t do anything to make him unhappy with him, starting right away. He had to be perfect. He had too many people trying to pull him away...what would happen if Jinki started pushing him, too? Then he would have to leave. He couldn’t handle that. He just couldn’t. He collapsed on his bed, his phone clutched tightly in his hand as he debated back and forth between calling Minho, but he finally caved. He needed someone. He needed to tell someone at least one of the things that had been eating away at him for almost a week now.

“Yoboseyo?” Minho said, his voice sounding worried. Jonghyun swallowed, trying to keep his voice calm as he spoke.

“Are you busy?” He asked.

“Ani.” Minho said softly. “Are you upset? Appa told me about Roo.”

“Appa went on a date.” Jonghyun blurted out. Minho was silent for a moment.

“Are you sure?” He asked, his tone more than hinting at his skepticism.

“I could smell perfume in the car on Monday, and on Wednesday there was a weird station set in his car, and yesterday there was two take out boxes in the back seat, and really long hair on the front seat.” Jonghyun insisted. Minho sighed.

“Yeah...that definitely sounds like he went on a date or two.” Minho agreed. “Where is he now?”

“I think he’s meeting her again.” Jonghyun said softly. Minho was surprised by his boyfriends tone.

“What’s wrong?” He asked. Jonghyun his lips quietly before answering.

“I miss you. And now Roo’s gone, and appa’s hanging out with someone else, and Taemin and Key have each other, and I’m all alone.” Jonghyun said, sounding a bit desperate. “I miss you.”

“Jonghyun...” Minho said softly, then trailed off. “Do you...should I come home?”

“A-a-aniyo!” Jonghyun said, shaking his head viciously. “You need to finish your work. I’m just complaining. Don’t...don’t give up when you’re so close. Please...”

“Alright, alright. I’ll stay, ok?” Minho said. “Don’t worry about appa dating. If you called him right now and told him you wanted him to come home, he would.”

“I know...” Jonghyun said, sniffling softly.

“Why don’t you go spend time with Key and Taemin? They’ll be able to help you more than I can right now.” Minho suggested, his tone soft. The words he spoke took on a different meaning for Jonghyun though - all he heard was that Minho didn’t want to talk to him anymore.

“Alright..” He said softly, trying not to show how badly the words hurt him.

He pulled the phone away from his ear and ended the call, then curled up in a ball on his bed. He couldn’t believe Minho hadn’t even said he missed him. And then he’d told him to spend time with Taemin and Key? Right after he told him how he was feeling? Was it possible that Minho...really just didn’t care anymore?

He dissolved into a puddle of tears moments later.

--------------------------------------------

Jinki was standing in front of the restaurant, his eyes on his phone as he debated back and forth between going home. Key had texted him almost as soon as he arrived, telling him that Jonghyun had gotten seriously upset within minutes of him leaving and gone up to his room to call Minho. A few minutes later that text was followed up with the information that Jonghyun was now done talking to Minho and crying alone in his room - which seemed to be exactly what the boy wanted. Key hadn’t been able to tell him what upset Jonghyun so badly, but he did say that the eldest had specifically asked them not to call Jinki home.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair as he looked around for his date. He wondered if maybe leaving Jonghyun alone right now wasn’t the best of choices, but he decided that Jonghyun would have asked him not to go had he needed him. He had never hesitated to tell him when he needed him there in the past, so this time he figured Jonghyun needed to be alone. He’d had random fits like this in the past, so Jinki really wasn’t thinking too much of it. He had a lot going on, and so it stood to reason that he might just need some time to himself.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t notice the long haired girl sneaking up on him until her arms were around his waist from behind. He rolled his eyes, tucking his phone in his pocket and turning to her with a soft smile. He leaned in and kissed her softly on the mouth, then took her hand in his.

“I was starting to think you stood me up.” He said, his tone teasing.

“Never.” She said.