Goodbye Kisses

Holding On

It was Friday morning, and given that it was summer Jonghyun and Minho were usually sleeping in, but this Friday morning was different. This Friday morning, Minho was leaving for a two week stay at an educational camp. Jonghyun had been studying with Minho for their upcoming exams - Minho’s for his diploma, Jonghyun’s for his High School equivalency diploma. Currently, they were wrapped up tightly in one anothers grasp, trying to soak up their last moments together before Jinki came in to wake them up.

Jonghyun was reflecting on the previous nights activities with a kind of sleepy detachment. Somehow their soft kisses had turned more desperate, and a whole new wave of reactions had taken over Jonghyun’s body, leaving him a bit stiff in more than one way. When Minho realized what was happening he had carefully shown Jonghyun one of the many upsides to having a boyfriend. He had been a bit surprised to find his tongue was quite so useful, but he certainly wasn’t complaining.

Now that he was thinking about it, though, he had to wonder where Minho had learned to do something like that...and so well, too. He had barely had an idea of what he was doing when he returned the favor, but his boyfriend had seemed to know exactly what he was doing. He nudged Minho’s nose with his own, and Minho smiled before leaning in and kissing him softly. Jonghyun returned the soft pressure happily, but pulled back a moment later.

“H-hey, Minho?” Jonghyun said, more than slightly annoyed at the fact that he stuttered.

“Yeah?” The younger boy returned, his boyfriend’s hair.

“What we...did...last night...” Jonghyun blushed, not looking at Minho. “Well...um...I had wondered where you...um...where you learned to do that.”

“Oh.” Minho said, not sounding surprised, but a bit reluctant nonetheless. “One of the guys I dated...”

“Nevermind.” Jonghyun said, jealousy welling up in his chest.

“I’m sorry, Jjongie.” Minho whispered, pulling Jonghyun closer to him. The shorter boy only shrugged. “I told you...I did a lot of stupid things for people who claimed to love me.”

“I know.” Jonghyun mumbled, cuddling closer to Minho. He bit his lip as he debated how to ask his next question. “M-Minho? Have you ever...I mean...are you still...a...”

“Jonghyun.” Minho said. Jonghyun looked up, feeling uncomfortable. “I didn’t have with him.”

“Oh.” Jonghyun said, feeling instantly relieved. Minho hugged him closer. “I wanted to wait until I fell in love. I didn’t love him.”

“But you love me.” Jonghyun said. Minho nodded, looking a bit nervous. “So maybe...someday w-we could...”

“We don’t have to.” Minho said. Jonghyun bit his lip.

“Do you not want to?” He asked, his voice very small. Minho’s eyes widened, and he tightened his arms around Jonghyun.

“Of course I do.” Minho said softly. “But right now isn’t..”

“I didn’t mean right now.” Jonghyun said. “I just meant...eventually.”

“If you want to.” Minho said. Jonghyun nodded.

“Can we talk about something else now?” Jonghyun asked, and Minho sighed in relief.

“Of course.” Minho said, petting Jonghyun’s hair. “Did you sleep well?”

“I always sleep well when you’re here.” Jonghyun said. Minho bit his lip, and Jonghyun’s eyes widened. “Sorry, sorry!”

“Jjongie...” Minho said, and Jonghyun shook his head.

“I’ll be ok.” Jonghyun said, his expression serious. “Let’s get up, ok? Roo probably wants to go out, and Taemin needs to get up to take Eve out too.”

“Yeah..” Minho said, nodding as Jonghyun slid out of the bed.

Jonghyun bent down and picked up the small dog, scurrying out into the hall and bumping into Jinki. He glanced up at the appa with damp eyes and then darted around him, pounding once on Key and Taemin’s door, then heading down the stairs. Jinki blinked a few times and watched him go down the stairs. He shook his head and went into the bedroom, slightly surprised to find Minho sitting on the bed, head in hands.

“What happened?” Jinki asked, sitting on the bed. Minho looked up at him, then looked at the floor. Jinki rubbed his back. “Did you fight?”

“N-no...I just...I made a mistake a while back.” Minho said. “I told Jonghyun, and he got upset.”

“What did you do?” Jinki asked. Minho opened his mouth, then closed it again. “Come on.”

“Do you remember that guy, Daesun? That really bad break up I had?” Minho said quietly. Jinki nodded, ignoring the sound of feet shuffling across the hall. Jinki’s eyes widened suddenly.

“Minho...you didn’t...” Jinki said. Minho shook his head slowly.

“We did some stuff...that we really shouldn’t have done...but no. We didn’t do...that.” Minho said. Jinki sighed, rubbing his back again.

“Was he really that upset over it?” Key asked. Minho shrugged.

“He asked if we could talk about something else, and then he said he sleeps better when I’m there. Then he just kind of...took off.” Minho said, staring at his shoes. “I don’t...I don’t think I should go.”

“If you stay because of him he’ll feel even worse.” Taemin said sternly. “Besides, it’s too late to cancel now. Just talk to him a lot.”

Minho nodded, getting up and going to his dresser. He dug out an outfit for himself, then went immediately to Jonghyun’s dresser to pull out clothes for him. Key rolled his eyes. Jonghyun was absolutely hopeless when it came to matching his outfits correctly, and so Minho had developed a habit of choosing his cloths for him. Key was honestly a bit concerned that Jonghyun wouldn’t get dressed if someone didn’t choose his clothes for him.

“What’s going on?” Jonghyun’s voice floated in from the doorway.

“I’m getting ready to go.” Minho said, not looking at him as he changed his shirt. Jonghyun nodded, sitting down on the bed. Jinki got up slowly, running his fingers through Jonghyun’s hair as he walked by.

“They should be here in about twenty minutes.” Jinki said, shooing the others out of the room. Jonghyun stayed quiet for a minute after they left, and Minho changed into jeans before coming to sit with him.

“I’ll text you all the time.” Minho said. “And you can call me any time.”

“I know.” Jonghyun said, leaning on him. “It’s only two weeks. We’ve gone longer without seeing each other.”

“Jonghyun.” Minho said, and Jonghyun looked up at him. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” He said sincerely. Minho leaned in, kissing him softly. Both boys jumped a moment later when the sound of a car horn sounded from outside. Jonghyun’s eyes widened. “They’re...they’re early.”

“....” Minho said, looking frustrated. Jonghyun’s eyes widened in surprise at his boyfriends sudden use of profanity. “I have to go.”

“I know.” Jonghyun said, his hand grabbing for Minho’s instinctively. “But...can you just kiss me one more time?”

Minho didn’t even hesitate, leaning forward and wrapping his arms tightly around Jonghyun’s waist as he pressed his lips against the other boys. Jonghyun’s arms went around Minho’s neck, and if he ever wanted anything more than for time to stop in that moment, he didn’t know what it was. The horn sounded again and Minho pulled back reluctantly.

“I’ll text you the whole time, ok?” Minho said, ruffling Jonghyun’s hair as he got up.

Jonghyun nodded, looking slightly lost as Minho grabbed his bag and headed for the door. He looked back at Jonghyun one more time before pushing the door open and heading out the door. Jonghyun got up once he heard the younger boys footsteps on the stairs, and started getting dressed. He sat on his bed, looking out the window silently as Minho walked down the front steps.

He wasn’t sure why, but he was hoping that Minho would look back and see him sitting there. As Minho got to the van and opened the door, though, Jonghyun saw it less and less likely. He watched as Minho put his bag in the trunk and turned to go to the sliding door on the side. He opened it, then paused, turning around slowly and raising his gaze to the window where Jonghyun sat. He waved, looking sad, and Jonghyun waved back, his heart feeling heavy.

He watched him get in the van then, closing the door behind him. A moment later the van started moving, pulling out of the driveway and heading down the street. Jonghyun held his composure for all of five minutes after he left, but then he realized he had tears streaming down his cheeks. No one had ever made him feel as strongly as Minho had, and this was proof enough. Roo came bounding in a minute later, closely followed by Taemin’s small red poodle, Eve. Jonghyun watched them chase each other around, wiping miserably at his eyes as Taemin entered the room.

As soon as he saw his hyung in such an obvious state of upset he went to him. He climbed up on the bed, wrapping his arms around Jonghyun and just hugging him as he cried. They both knew Minho would be back, but it was hard to have a piece of their family missing for any amount of time. Taemin had gone through this before, when Jonghyun was gone for nearly two months, but it was Jonghyun’s first time being separated from only one of them.

Key and Jinki came in a few minutes later, and Taemin moved away to make room for the appa. Jinki took a seat beside Jonghyun, wrapping his arms around him and holding him close. He was privately amazed at how much bigger Jonghyun seemed to be since they had first met. With the weight gain and the return of bone mass, he was wider and firmer, overall just healthier, but he didn’t grow any taller, and Jinki wasn’t sure he ever would.

“He’ll be back you know.” Jinki said softly, and Jonghyun nodded. “Just make sure to do well on your tests, and then it won’t be wasted time, ok?”

“Ok.” Jonghyun said, leaning on him. “Appa? Can we watch a movie?”

“De. Come on, Jjongie.” Jinki said, moving off the bed and holding out his hand. Jonghyun took it readily, and Jinki knew Jonghyun would be ok.

---------------------------------------

Yay! The sequel has officially begun! I've been tweaking the outline to get it just right, but we're looking at 30-40 chapters for this one! I hope you enjoy it!