The Past And Its Reminiscence

10,000 Years With Love

 



A pregnant silence donned the main hall -- China's First Emperor of the Li Dynasty was ill. He had been taken down from court activities barely three days; his advisors and other court officials running the kingdom. The news was not to be known to the rest, for it would be nothing but a great catastrophe. What would the other kingdoms think?

The First Prince, Li had went missing during a game of resistance with Lord Ma, and soldiers had been sent out to look for him. Out of the five sons that Emperor Li had, the First Prince was the one he had depended on the most.

The Emperor believed in Fengshui, and that names of a person would affect one's life. After having sought over ten Masters, First Prince Li was given the name Li Jia Heng, with the belief that he would bring a symmetry between the Yin and Yang in the family. The only problem was when the imperial verdict came out, they had miswrote the 'Jia' in his name.

The innocent offender was immediately put to execution with hundreds of curious onlookers in the streets.

Finding the First Prince proved to be tough job, but the Emperor had insisted for him to be brought back. Throughout every single second that the Prince was not back, the other princes had tried to impress him. They must have gotten news that he was planning for the First Prince to be crowned the next Emperor.

On the day that the First Prince had returned, he was immediately ushered to the bedside of the Emperor.

"I am ill, my son."

"Father, I am sorry for my absence. I was unable to beat Lord Ma in the duel, and had wounded up being injured. I am now back to your side, Father." the First Prince clenched his fists on the silk bed covers.

The Emperor nodded, he took in a deep breath, but only to end up coughing. "Unfortunately, I do not have much time left. I want you to listen carefully to what I have to say, my son."





"I want you to marry the princess of Xiongnu, and take over as the Emperor of China. It is time for them to understand that we are one country, and for this merge to happen, you will have to marry Princess Modu Esen. The marriage will take place three months from now, so be prepared. In the meanwhile, you shall watch how the Kingdom is ran."

"Yes, Father."




He had came back with the intention of marrying Zi Yu, but the words were unable to leave his tongue as he sees his father laying on his bed. Jia Heng had always seen his father to be a man of confidence, and great promises. The aura he had exuded was nothing short of majestic. The Emperor wore golden robes with carefully embroidered dragons on him, his broad figure reigning the courts with his monumental speeches.





Jia Heng was more than upset when the day that he had to marry Princess Modu Esen came. In fact, he was so upset that the simple word 'upset' turned derogatory to what he was feeling. He swore to himself that if he were to ever find a woman to love, he would love her and only her, and he has indeed found her -- her name was Huang Zi Yu.

Ever since he was a child, Jia Heng could see how sad his mother was when the Emperor showered another woman with affection. With the image of her disappointed look in mind, Jia Heng promised to only love one woman, and to never take in concubines despite that being expected from higher officials. He would care for his other siblings, but only look at their mothers in anger. After all, they were the source of his mother's pain.

He would never forget the moment when the throne was passed down to him, and the prideful smile his mother, now the Empress Dowager, shone at him.

First Prince Li was now the Emperor of China, Li.

Emperor Li had refused to consummate his wedding night with the Princess of Xiongnu, leaving her to fume at the maids and the eunuchs who occasionally walked by. Another reason for the Emperor to dislike the First Consort.

Months had went by with the Emperor being busy with the gifts and envoys from all over the world visiting to congratulate him. Hardly a day went by without the First Consort throwing items at the servants.

It was understood that despite the relationship the Emperor had shared with his consort, they could not simply just separate even though it was just in names. The Xiongnus were barbaric, and if they were to know that the Emperor had not even looked at their Princess after that one time at the ceremony, a war would be declared at the borderline of China. It was too dangerous -- the western traders were still taking trips down to look at the spice trade, and if a war did break out, it will not do China's economy good.

It had been a tough decision, and the Emperor had been dissuaded by his advisors more than once -- taking in a concubine from the commoners less than a year after his marriage ceremony with the Princess would cause much tongues to wag. However, the decision has been made, and the convoys together with the eunuch who had been chosen to carry out the task.

This is the royal order,

I have thought over this for a long time, and as the Emperor, I will take in commoner Huang Zi Yu to be my concubine.

It is an understanding that Huang Zi Yu is a beloved in the village, but my order is final.

Huang Zi Yu will be entering the palace as soon as the decree is read.

The family shall be rewarded.

Jia Heng




The news had spread like wildfire, villagers crowding in to watch as their only sunshine got carried away in a carriage that only the rich could afford. Even though they were mad with the decision, they could not help but be curious. The Emperor had just wedded less than a year ago, but he was already taking in concubines? Moreover, how did he know of the existence of their Huang Zi Yu?



Jia Heng had his breath taken away -- he could not believe that the woman that he loves was sitting on the bed, waiting for him. He was heavyhearted, for Zi Yu was sobbing as she waited. He knows it was a bad decision to take her away from her family, but he could not stand another day without her. Thus, the Emperor had decided to be selfish for once, and keep her to himself.

"You shall not cry." he spoke, voice deep and booming.

He sees the way she meekly wipes off her tears, and stood up to give a slight bow of courtesy.

This was not how she was when they met.



Zi Yu was kind, and strong. No matter how hurt she was, she would not cry. Jia Heng would accompany her whenever she went out to distribute the freshly made buns, a smile always on her face as she sees the homeless taking it with a look of gratitude.

He remembers how she held onto his arm, stopping him from hitting a begger when he had grabbed onto Zi Yu's sleeves, begging for more food.

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. With neither food nor water, a man is unable to finish his conquest in wanting to be successful. Jia Heng, all he is asking for is to keep him going in life. If even commoners like us are unable to fulfill something as simple as this, we are nothing but another puppet like the higher ups in the palace."

Jia Heng was surprised. What did a normal girl like her know about the palace?

"I may not know much about how life is in the Kingdom, but the only wish I have is for them to understand how starved they are."

Starved? Their table was filled with food every meal!

"No, you silly boy." Zi Yu laughed, "They may be rich, but they are often deprived of something. Everyone in the palace are so money-minded that they simply do not understand the meaning of happiness. Money brings one temporary happiness when you buy something, but it is impossible to buy you a permanent place in someone else's heart."

"Don't you ever think of marrying someone rich?" Jia Heng asked.

"Oh no! Zi Yu would never dare to let such a thought cross my mind. Zi Yu just wishes for my parents to be happy, and I am willing to marry anyone they want me to."

"What if the Emperor asks for you to marry him?"

Zi Yu only looked at Jia Heng with the weirdest look, giggling at the end.

"Jia Heng, never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought of that! But if that does happen, Zi Yu thinks that she will not be happy no matter how much of riches she gets."

"But marrying into the royals is something every girl wants."

"Maybe for them, it is so. But for a simple girl like Zi Yu, all I want is for a husband who would love and care for me. If I were to marry the Emperor, Zi Yu knows that he will not be able to always be there for me, because I will always rank second to the country. The Kingdom will be his first love."



"A hundred men may make an encampment, but it takes a woman to make a home." the Emperor repeats as he takes a step forward.

He hears Zi Yu sob even louder as he says the words -- the words engraved into his heart the first time he had heard them leave her lips.

"Zi Yu." her name slipping out of him swiftly, as though it was the only thing he knew.

"Ji-Jia-... Y-Your Majesty."

He pulled her closer, into his embrace. Once again, Jia Heng was holding onto the only love of his life.

"Call me by my name one last time."

"Jia... Heng."

"Once more."

"Jia Heng,"

"Another one more time." And it dawns on the Emperor as to how much he loves this woman in front of him, because he never wants to stop listening to her voice.

"Jia Heng."

Because tonight, he was not the Emperor, but just Li Jia Heng.






--
I understand that people have been wanting to know more about Jia Heng and Zi Yu's past. I really loved writing this, Chinese history is basically my one and only love next to PandaTao

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading this chapter, I will touch on the jade next update.


THIS IS MY TUMBLR, I hope we can be great friends there and also simply due to the fact that I give out hints to anons there actually :'D 

Comments are not necessary but greatly appreciated, as always because it makes me as happy as Chanyeol |D