The Story Of Huang Zi Yu And Li jia Heng

10,000 Years With Love


"The moon is absolutely brilliant tonight, my lord."

"Yes, yes it is."

He sat in his silk-woven robe, gold and almighty. China bowed to his feet, calling himThe Greatest King in the highest honor, but only one lady had the audacity to call him the lord.

She did not have big, round eyes, nor perfectly long, straight hair. She was not the fairest maiden around, and definitely not the brainiest one either. Her name was Huang Zi Yu, and she was the Emperor's concubine.

Zi Yu had the heart of gold, often steaming buns and sharing them down the alleyway where the homeless strayed. The pigs her father owned often bore piglets and fed their family endlessly. Their horses were strong and sturdy, allowing them to lead carriages around town and sometimes, they would get lucky, carrying a rich business man and getting better tips.



There came a day when Zi Yu had nursed a young man having fainted on the streets, back to pink health. They were happy with what they had -- till a warrant for the First Prince Li came around. He left with the promise of coming back with the intention of taking her in as his Empress.

Zi Yu giggled and waved him ever happiness.

"I hope you will learn your lesson and not to faint once again on the streets. Now that you have to go... I hope you live happily."

"But I will not, and shall not be happy till I have you as my wife."

"Then go. Come back for me soon, I will be waiting."


Three months later, the palace had passed down the news that the First Prince, Li had taken in a wife, and was to be crowned Emperor. Zi Yu smiled and went back to doing the dishes. There was no way the man she had found on the streets back then was the First Prince. Even if he was, he would have already forgotten about her; the ladies in the palace and even princesses over the world were so much more prettier than her.



The verdict came in half a year later, the girl with a beautiful personality going by the name of Huang Zi Yu was to be taken into the palace as the Emperor's concubine.

The news struck the village terribly for Zi Yu was their very own sunshine, and had refused to allow her to leave till a soldier had shot an arrow into the back of an innocent toddler's head. Zi Yu sobbed for the loss of the child, and had stepped onto the heavily escorted carriage without a second word.

No ceremonies were held for concubines, and there Zi Yu sat on the Emperor's cotton-soft bed, hands crossed, gripping onto her loose piece of clothing. Her tears continued flowing down her cheeks, staining her silken dress.

"You shall not cry."

Zi Yu was in shock to hear the Emperor's voice, quickly wiping off her tears, she forced a smile on her lips.

"Your Majesty," Zi Yu mumbled as she stood up and took a slight bow of courtesy.

Concubines are not allowed to look at the Emperor in his eyes, so you have to keep your head casted down unless you're told to do so. Zi Yu remembers every rule. Concubines are nothing but the occasional plaything for the Emperor, and they must not cross the way of the consort, for she was ruthless.

"Zi Yu."

The second surprise of the night came when Zi Yu looked up upon hearing her name being called.

"Ji-Jia-... Y-Your Majesty."

A pair of hand cupped her face, pulling her closer -- into his arms. "Zi Yu..." He whispered.

"Call me by my name one last time."

"Jia... Heng."

"Once more."

"Jia Heng,"

"Another one more time."

"Jia Heng."

"Zi Yu..." his hand went up to her head piece, slowly pulling it out, letting her wavy, jet black hair fall over her shoulders.

"I'm sorry I couldn't marry you as my consort and give you a grand marriage ceremony," the Emperor sighed, "My father was very ill, and I could not break the news that I did not want to marry the princess from the neighboring country. It was also to make a peace treaty."

Zi Yu leaned her head on his sturdy chest, hands moving to wrap themselves around his waist.

"Your Majesty, Zi Yu understands that as the Emperor, you have duties to fulfill, and a public image to hold up. Zi Yu had been nothing but a lowly servant for the country, I am neither educated, nor pretty like the ladies I have seen so far in the short time I was here. Meeting you and nursing you back to health was the best time Zi Yu has ever spent on... There are no words to describe the immense happiness I feel now.

"Growing up, Zi Yu was told that women should stay indoors to do the house chores, and to take care of the children. I waited for the right man to come, but he never did. Zi Yu was almost sold to the fishmonger for fifty gold coins, but the verdict came and Zi Yu was saved."

Unwrapping her arms, she pushed herself back, head looking down shyly.

"Zi Yu now belongs to Your Majesty," she muttered under her breath, "Zi Yu will do anything for the Emperor."

The Emperor pulled Zi Yu by the chin, staring deep into her eyes as he closes the distance between their lips, his fingers pulling apart the ribbon which was holding her dress piece together.

It had been a full moon when Jia Heng and Zi Yu became one, the blood peonies in which the Empress Dowager had taken pride in were in full bloom; signaling the love between China's highly respected Emperor and his concubine.




Three months and two imperial doctors later, the Emperor had finally knew why his beloved concubine was suffering from constant nausea and her appetite had grown.

Concubine Zi Yu was carrying the imperial child.

The entire palace had rejoiced, for the current consort was still unable to bear a child for the Emperor. She had blamed the fact that they had yet to consummate their marriage, but none of her servants would believe (not that they'd show it).

As time passed, the Empress could feel her position being jeopardized by Concubine Zi Yu. The Empress knew what would happen if she was to fall out of the Emperor's favor... she would be stripped of her title and banished to the Cold Palace.

The Cold Palace was an isolated and harsh place, where all the concubines whom no longer held the Emperor's interests were banished there, and were to stay there till their last breath.

It was extremely risky, but the Empress had to take the chance.

Concubine Zi Yu can not bear the child.



Zi Yu was nine months into carrying a baby in her womb, he or she should arriving into the world soon. She smiled at the thought of that; since the day she was brought into the palace, Zi Yu was treated like a jem by the Emperor.

"What are you thinking of, my lady?" The Emperor had came in without her noticing once again.

"About the coming baby, my lord. I can not wait to see him or her."

Jia Heng laughed loudly, something he would do whenever it was just him and Concubine Zi Yu.

"I am glad that I had challenged Lord Ma into a duel of resistance. If I did not, I would never have met you, my lady."

"And getting your joints painfully bent in directions was a good thing I suppose, my lord?" Zi Yu teased.

"Well, other than that." the Emperor placed his hand on Concubine Zi Yu's waist, and supported her to stand. "Let's go on a walk, my lady."

As they slowly walked towards the door, the imperial advisor rushed to the Emperor. "Yo-Your Majesty! An assassin h-has been caught! Please look over the situation now!" the poor old man heavily breathed out.

"Assassin? How in the world did he get into such a heavily guarded area? This is the forbidden city!" the Emperor half-raged.

"My lord, please calm down." Concubine Zi Yu ran a comforting hand down his back over and over.

"Your Majesty, please follow me to the main palace right now to assess the situation!"

The Emperor looked over worriedly to his concubine, only to get a nod of approval in return (others would have scoffed over how henpecked the Emperor was in front of his concubine, but only the Emperor and his concubine knew it was an offer of comfort more than anything else). He left hurriedly, guards catching up one by one to his side, prepared for any hidden assassination.

As Concubine Zi Yu was about to turn back into her room, she sees the first consort walking down the garden with a smile as sinister as the fishmonger's father she was almost betrothed to.

And that was the last thing she had ever seen in her life.






"The news of the Emperor's beloved Concubine Zi Yu being assassinated had created an uproar across the country, and the consort had been banished into the cold palace."

"So what happened to the baby?"

"The baby didn't make it. Technology was nowhere near to what we have now back in the monarchial period, Zi Tao."

"Aww..." An eight-year old Zi Tao whined, "But Grandma... To think that the Emperor and the concubine liked each other so much, and not being able to be with the other in the end is so heartbreaking!"

"Zi Tao," his grandmother started, "I want you to keep this in mind. People may say it's folklore and nonsensical superstition, but destiny plays a funny game; a lifetime after you have met, the red strings of fate are pulled and you will once again meet as strangers. If you left your life as a kind spirit, you shall be married to another kindred heart in your next."

Zi Tao only giggled, the skin around his eyes only crinkling. "So I'm going to marry a girl who I was with in my previous life?"

"Taotao, I hope you know that despite all the things that people say in life, love is something special."

"Huh?" Zi Tao only seemed more confused with his grandmother getting serious with the story she told.

"Love, is something that isn't meant to be shared between a specific gender. It doesn't mean because you're a boy, you have to love a girl. Sure, that's what most stories are like, but if you have experienced love, you will understand."

"But Grandma, I don't get it!" he flapped his arms around like a drowning chicken, jer black fringe falling over his eyebrows.

"It's okay," she chuckled, "you'll get it when you're older."

"Tell me another story!"

"Tomorrow, maybe. It's bed time."

"But..."

"I'll tell you more about Zi Yu too, if you go to sleep now."

"Okay!"



--
Oh. God.