Chapter 7

Risky Business

Minho got Key settled in the tub while he cleaned up the kitchen. He was glad for a little alone time so he could deal with his emotions before taking care of Key again.

He knew he would’ve killed Jong if Key hadn’t stopped him. He’d never been so blinded by rage before… But he’d also never cared for anyone the way he cared about Key. He loved his family, of course, but he’d never been in love with anyone other than Key and when he’d walked in and saw Jong in front of Key with his hand raised, well…something in him just snapped. It scared him, the fact that he could lose control like that, but he knew if he was faced with the situation again, his response would be the same. If anyone was worth going to jail for, it was his princess.

“Minho-ah… Is it your intention for me to turn into a prune? I know I’m already the colour of one but still…”

Minho smiled as Key’s voice trailed off to soft muttering. His timing, as usual, was perfect. Key definitely had a knack for knowing when Minho was thinking about him or when those thoughts were a little too intense and needed to be put away.

Shaking his head, he strolled into the bathroom. He’d sealed Key’s bandaged hands in plastic bags so they wouldn’t get wet when he put him in the tub and made him promise not to move whatsoever. True to his word, he lay back amongst the suds with his hands dangling over the sides of the tub. Even with his bruised face, he was still awfully pretty in Minho’s eyes and looked like a young master lounging luxuriously in his bath.

Geez, you are so far goneEven your thoughts sound gay.

“Arms up.” Minho grabbed a fluffy towel in one hand and hefted Key up with the other before wrapping him snugly. He moved quickly, not pausing to look at Key’s body as he did so. He’d seen him many times, of course, but he didn’t see any need to take advantage of the situation. He swung Key up in his arms and strode off to his room.

“My legs are perfectly fine, you know,” Key commented.

“Mmm...” he grunted. Soon, he had Key dried, dressed in his favorite pink pajamas and lying back against his cloud of pillows.

Key watched Minho speculatively. He could tell that he was in a strange mood.

“Are you okay?” he asked after an interminable length of silence.

Minho nodded. “I’m fine, don’t worry.” He turned to leave the room, reaching for the light switch.

“Minho…”

He paused and glanced over his shoulder.

“Will you come back once you’ve cleaned up? I’d really appreciate some company…” Key made himself sound more vulnerable and emotional than he actually felt. The truth was he was worried about Minho. Something just wasn’t right and he wanted to comfort him. Minho was always there for him, taking care of him, seeing to his needs. It was time he returned the favor.

With a nod, Minho switched the light off and left.

Key sighed. His heart ached. He couldn’t keep doing this to Minho. When he hurt, Minho hurt too. He knew how important he was to Minho, knew how deeply Minho felt for him. But the only way to save Minho from future hurt was to let go of Jonghyun… He swallowed thickly. It pained him to think it, to even consider it, but he wondered if perhaps it was time. He couldn’t keep making excuses for him. It didn’t matter that Onew was out of the picture, things were way beyond that now. He knew that tonight was technically an accident, that Jong hadn’t meant to hurt him, but he had. If Minho hadn’t shown up, there was no telling how much more damage he’d have done. Love wasn’t supposed to hurt so much, certainly not physically. Minho would never have done that to him, would’ve sooner hurt himself than lay a finger on Key, no matter how drunk or angry he was.

It’s time…

Key took a deep breath, forcing back the tears that threatened. For Minho, and for himself, he would let Jong go. It would take a while, he knew. Love didn't just fade because one wanted it to and he certainly didn’t want it but what other choice did he have? Jong wasn’t healthy for him. With Onew out of the picture, he had no idea what was behind Jong’s actions tonight but clearly he had issues he needed to address. Until and unless he did so, they had no future. This was the second time he’d been violently hurt by someone he loved. He wasn’t going to stick around for a third. Maybe he didn’t deserve someone as fine as Minho but he did deserve better than he’d gotten from Jong and it was time he started looking out for himself. He couldn’t depend on Minho forever.

It was time he stepped up to the plate and protected them both. He resolved that never again would Minho be put in the position where he had to endanger his own life to defend Key’s and never again would Minho be forced to bear Key’s hurt as his own. Perhaps in time, when his feelings for Jong faded, they could try again. There was no one in the world more wonderful than Minho. He already loved him and even if that love never grew to be as passionate as what he’d had with Jonghyun, he knew he could still be happy. If Minho would still have him, the least he could do was give them a try. He had nothing to lose.

His thoughts broke off as Minho returned, dressed in pajama pants and a loose t-shirt. He slid under the covers next to Key, then to his side towards the door, which also put his back to Key. Key looked at him for a long time, the only light in the room was the sliver of moonbeam streaming through the window. It was bright enough for him to see Minho clearly. When he didn’t say anything, Key leaned against him, resting his cheek over the spot where Minho’s heart beat strongest.

“Minho-ah…”

Silence greeted him.

“Mianhae.”

Minho shifted, raised his head and looked at Key over his shoulder. “What are you apologizing for?”

“It’s because of me that you’re upset. I keep getting myself into trouble and you keep having to rescue me. I know it isn’t fair to you, all the drama I get you dragged into.”

“Key…”

Key shook his head. “No. It’s true. You deserve so much better than me,” Key said earnestly. “You deserve a friend who gives as much as he receives, not someone who takes and takes and doesn’t give back. I don’t know why you stay, why you continue to put up with me…”

Minho to his other side, his hands cupping Key’s face as he stared intently into his eyes.

“Because I love you. You’re my best friend, my brother, my…” Lover. “You’re important to me, vital to my existence. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you, you know that.”

“But you deserve so much better.”

“I deserve what I want and I what I want is a life with you in it. I don’t regret any of the past four years I’ve spent with you, don’t do me a disservice by apologizing for it.”

Key placed a hand over Minho’s where it held his cheek, turned his mouth into Minho’s palm and pressed a kiss to it. Sighing, he said, “I don’t know how I ever got lucky enough to have found you… But I won’t ever question it again. I’ll just be grateful that you’re here for as long as you are.”

“Which is forever,” Minho joked.

Key smiled sadly. “Or until someone special comes along and sees how wonderful you are.”

Minho started to shake his head but Key pressed a finger to his lips before he could speak. “I want that for you.” He moved his finger and replaced it with his lips, his kiss soft and lingering.

It wasn’t long before Minho responded to him. His hands glided around Key’s waist, molding him to Minho’s length. Key’s lip stung where he’d been hit but he ignored it. I can do this, he told himself. Being with Minho was like being home: it was pleasant, comfortable and there weren’t any surprises so he could relax and breathe easy. True, Minho didn’t stir him the way Jong did but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. At least he could keep a level head and think rationally rather than be ruled by his emotions. Besides, he and Minho had dated long ago and although the relationship hadn’t worked out, they’d been occasional bed partners before he met Jong so they knew each other intimately.

He could do it, he could be with Minho. He wanted so much to repay him for every kind act he’d done for him over the years. He let this fuel his resolve and deepened the kiss, hoping Minho would understand his intentions. When he felt Minho’s hand slide beneath his pajama top and glide up his , he assumed he had. Key pulled back and looked at Minho. He could see the lust in his half-lidded eyes and took his cue from them. He started ing his top, only to have Minho’s hands grab his and stop him.

“What are you doing?”

Key’s eyes widened in surprise. Had he read him wrong? “I want to make you feel better.”

“Key…”

“I want to,” Key hurried to assure him. “Really, I do.”

Minho sighed. “Key, after the night you’ve had, I doubt you have on your mind.”

“But you do,” Key accused. “You want me. I can see it in your eyes.”

“I always want you,” Minho admitted, unashamed. “But I don’t want you to repay me with .”

“I’m not…” Key started to deny.

Minho cupped his chin gently. “Yes, you are. You’re not a , honey, and I’m your best friend. I’m insulted that you think you need to repay me to begin with but saddened that you value yourself so little that you’d use your body to do it.”

Key’s eyes filled with tears. Minho was right. After accusing Jonghyun of treating him like a , now he was acting like one without even realizing it. What had happened to him? Was this a side-effect of their unhealthy relationship?

Minho slid his hand to the back of Key’s head and pressed his [Key] face to his chest. His heart hurt more now than it had when he’d walked in and seen Key battered and bleeding on the kitchen floor. Living with an unrequited love was hard enough but having Key pity him or offer his body in gratitude was almost more than he could handle. How much more was he supposed to take?

“Just let me hold you… That’s more than enough.”

Key wrapped his arms around Minho and held him close. Once again, Minho was comforting him, not the other way around as he’d planned. He couldn’t even do this one thing right.

This is the last time, he promised. He wouldn’t be weak anymore. From tomorrow, he’d be someone that Minho could depend on. The conviction he felt gave him more comfort than Minho’s arms did and he let that and the steady beat of Minho’s heart beneath his ear lull him to sleep.