Chapter 5

Risky Business

A week had passed since the anniversary fiasco. Onew sat in the quad, looking at everything and nothing in particular, pondering what his next course of action would be. He’d admitted to himself, and accepted, that his relationship with Jong was over. They were literally nothing more than roommates now, made more so by the fact that he’d moved into the guest room that very night. When Jong had returned and seen Onew and his things no longer taking up residence in the master bedroom, he’d gotten the message loud and clear. Onew couldn’t deny that he’d felt a stab of disappointment when Jong hadn’t said or done anything about it, not even inquiring why he’d taken such drastic measures, but he’d soon realized it wasn’t that Jong didn’t care, he just didn’t know what to say.

Onew had caught Jong looking at him more than once, always when he thought Onew wouldn’t notice, un-voiced questions shining in his eyes. It was starting to drive Onew crazy. He wished Jong would say something, anything, but he remained silent. He couldn’t go on like that much longer so he’d finally decided to take matters into his own hands and settle things with Jong once and for all. He wasn’t exactly sure what he was going to do or say. The love in his heart was still pestering him not to give up on Jong but his brain had admitted defeat and was urging him to go into self-preservation mode, i.e., get the hell out as soon as possible. The only thing he’d confidently decided was that they needed space so he was trying to see if he could get campus housing but the deadline had already passed so that was most likely a dead end. He didn’t want to burden any of his friends by staying with them, or rather, if he was honest, he just didn’t want anyone minding his business or feeling sorry for him. It was only natural that people would want to know what had happened between him and Jong to lead him to leave, even if temporarily. He just couldn’t deal with that… It was times like this that he wished he had a really close friend he could confide in and lean on but Jong had been that for him for the past three years so without him, he merely had acquaintances and casual friends. No one he would consider turning to in times of crisis and this situation certainly qualified as a crisis.

At that moment, he noticed a couple walking across the quad. He smiled slightly as he realized they were two guys, the taller one’s arm slung protectively across the shorter one’s shoulders and the shorter one’s arm around the taller one’s waist. The petite one’s face was tilted up to his mate. Onew imagined he was smiling: love and joy would be shining in his eyes. His eyes continued to follow them, a dull ache burning in his heart where the constant loneliness he lived with resided. They stopped momentarily and the shorter one turned in Onew’s direction, pointing at the building behind Onew as he spoke to his mate.

Onew’s breath caught on a gasp. Key! It was a bit of a shock to see him so suddenly. He hadn’t seen him since that fateful meeting at the mall on the day of his anniversary. When Jong had come home, he’d gathered that things hadn’t gone well with Key but since he and Jong weren’t exactly talking, and that was definitely not the topic to start with, he couldn’t voice his curiosity. They hadn’t had any group practice for days since it was Chuseok week so there hadn’t been any opportunities to observe Key then either. Seeing him now, with someone who was obviously not Jong, increased his curiosity astronomically. Just then the taller guy turned towards the building and Onew almost choked.

It was Minho.

He knew Key and Minho were best friends and roommates, in addition to being members of the Shinee dance group at the Arts Centre that Jong and Onew were also a part of. He’d spent many hours practicing and performing with him and knew him on a surface level. He was a nice guy, caring, always kind. Never a bad word to or about anyone: a genuinely good guy. He’d also been head over heels in love with Key. Everyone knew it and Onew suspected that he never bothered to try to hide it.

 

“What the hell happened that night?” Onew murmured. Seeing the two, looking so happy and obviously together, took Onew’s curiosity to greater heights yet again. Are they a couple now?

He continued wondering, watching as Minho tucked a lock of Key’s hair behind his ear before taking Key’s hand, linking their fingers and starting off again, Key following closely beside him. It was then that the one thing that had been escaping him the entire time he’d been looking at them finally popped into his head.

If Key and Minho were indeed together, then where did that leave Jong? Had Key really said goodbye to him? Were they really over?

A small bud of hope bloomed in his chest before he could talk some sense into it. It meant nothing, absolutely nothing. They were probably just fighting and Key was using Minho to take his mind of Jong. Maybe…

“Onew hyung!”

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard his name being called. He turned around to see a long, slight body topped with a mop of unruly blond hair running towards him.

“Taemin.”

“Hyung,” Taemin repeated excitedly, a huge grin plastered on his face as he sat next to Onew.

Onew smiled at the younger boy, ruffling his mess of blond curls. “Taemin-ah… You need a haircut.”

Taemin shook his head, a thick lock falling into his eye which he promptly blew away. “Hyung, I haven’t seen you all week, or anyone else for that matter. When is practice resuming?”

“It should be next week, though I can’t be certain. I’m sure the director will let us know, don’t worry.”

They lapsed into silence, Onew staring pensively off into the distance, completely unaware of the pair of intense eyes reading his face.

“Hyung… Are you okay?”

“I will be once I find somewhere to live,” he muttered absently. Breaking out of his reverie, Onew threw Taemin a sideways smile. “I’m fine, I promise.”

“Hyung, are you and Jonghyun hyung moving?”

Onew froze. What to do, what to say? He wasn’t ready to admit to anyone that he and Jong were over. On the other hand, people were bound to find out eventually so why prolong the inevitable?

He took a deep breath and released it on a sigh. “Just me. Unfortunately, Jonghyun and I are no longer together.”

Because he wasn’t looking at him, Onew didn’t see the small smile that flit across Taemin’s lips before he spoke. “I’m so sorry hyung… Really, I am. I never imagined you two…”

Onew sighed again, suddenly feeling weary. “Yeah, me neither.” He shrugged. “That’s life I guess. The unexpected sometimes happens.”

They fell into silence again but this time Onew was the one to break it. “Taemin-ah, would you happen to know of any vacancies on or around campus. You live in an apartment near here, don’t you?”

Taemin nibbled his bottom lip thoughtfully. He had a plan, a brilliant idea, but he couldn’t appear too eager or else it would surely fail. “Well… The deadline for campus housing already passed and I don’t have any friends with vacancies, sorry. I think there are a couple of empty units in my building but, hyung, it’s sorta pricey…” He threw a sidelong glance at Onew, trying to gauge his reaction.

Onew sighed for a third time, this time in defeat. “I guess it can’t be helped then. I’ll just have to stay put. Even if I did find an apartment, there’s no way I could afford the rent on my own. To tell you the truth, I don’t relish the thought of living with a complete stranger either.”

Taemin looked pitiful for a minute before jumping up as though he’d had a ‘eureka’ moment.

“Hyung, I’ve got it! You could stay with me.” He grinned hugely, looking so proud at his suggestion.

Onew swung towards Taemin in surprise. “What?”

Taemin nodded enthusiastically. “It’s perfect. Why didn’t I think of it immediately?” Yeah, why didn’t I? He mentally chuckled, patting himself on the back.

“Don’t you already have a roommate?” Onew asked.

Taemin shook his head. “I lived with my brother but he graduated last semester. Now it’s just me. The rent is paid up until the end of the school year so you could stay with me free of charge.”

Onew frowned. “Taemin, I…”

Taemin rushed on. “It’s really a great idea hyung. You need somewhere to stay and I need a roommate.” He dropped his head, staring at his clasped hands. “To be honest, it’s been rather lonely since my brother left. It gets scary being alone sometimes. You’d actually be doing me a favor.” Taemin looked up, hope bright in his eyes. “And at least it won’t be a stranger you’re living with.”

Onew’s heart softened towards the boy. Taemin was still young, only 19, and he had the temperament of a much younger boy so Onew could believe that he got lonely and scared a lot now that his brother was gone. Still, could he live with one of his hoobaes? Taemin was a student at the same university and a member of his dance group but they weren’t particularly close so would it really be much different than living with a stranger?

Well, the alternative is being stuck with your ex so which do you prefer? He hated that voice. It was far too logical.

With a deep breath, he nodded. “Okay, let’s do it.”

Taemin grinned but before he could start celebrating, Onew held up a hand. “Wait, there are conditions.” Taemin’s brow puckered. “Like what?”

“Well… I may be homeless but I’m not a charity case so I insist on paying my half of the rent. Since it’s already paid up, I’ll just give the money to you and you can reimburse your parents, agreed?”

 

Oh, that… Taemin smiled brightly. “Sure hyung.” Although he was positive that Onew and Jong’s apartment was pretty nice, he hadn’t been kidding when he’d said that his own rent was pricey. He doubted that their total monthly rent equaled even half of his. No worries, he assured himself, I’ll just find out how much their rent is and have him pay half of that. Problem solved.

 Onew stood, stretched. “Good. Well, I guess we’re roomies now.” Smiling, he reached down to tousle Taemin’s hair again.

Taemin usually hated the kid treatment and cutesy affection but with Onew, he relished it, craved it even. Unable to resist the urge, he launched himself at Onew, wrapping his arms tightly around his waist.

Onew stumbled slightly in shock but caught himself before he and the boy fell. Chuckling slightly, he gently patted and Taemin on the back. He really must have been lonely.

Taemin’s eyes were squeezed shut, his head bent to hide the tears that shimmered on his lashes as he sent prayers up to whatever higher power had sent Onew to him. He loved him so much…




A/N: I bet you thought I was gonna leave Taemin out altogether. How could I do that to the cutest maknae ever?! Honestly, his character isn't gonna contribute much but he's gonna be there anyway. The next chapter is gonna be pretty heavy on the emotional drama so brace yourself. And please don't hate Jong after. He'll redeem himself by the end, I promise!