Chapter 4

Risky Business

He’s on his way over.”

Key ignored Minho and buried his head deeper under the pillow.

“Key-ah…” He felt Minho’s warm hand on his back, him gently as if he was a child. “You can’t hide forever, you know.”

“I can try,” Key insisted petulantly.

Minho looked down at his friend, his sometimes lover, the guy he’d been in love with for the past four years, and sighed. Key was stubborn and when he was in one of his moods, there was no talking him out of it. And for once, Minho couldn’t blame him. Whenever he thought of that guy… His jaw clenched automatically, the hand that wasn’t caressing Key curled into a fist. He’d never truly disliked someone until he’d met Jonghyun. He was such a snake and Key deserved so much better… Even if it wasn’t Minho himself.

Stretching out beside Key, he curled protectively into his back and wrapped an arm around his slender waist. Key turned in his arms and pressed his face into Minho’s chest. Minho was the one person he knew he could always count on. He trusted him implicitly.

They stayed like that until the doorbell rang. By then, Key had started to drift off and Minho hated to wake him up to deal with Jong, knowing he’d most likely be upset again by the time the guy left. He considered answering the door and telling him to go away but Key was already stirring.

“I’ll get it.” He kissed the top of Key’s head, extricated himself and rolled off the bed. He steeled himself before opening the door, taking a deep breath and counting to ten for extra measure. Grabbing the handle, he swung the door open. His lip immediately curled into a disgusted grimace.

Jong ignored Minho’s expression and strolled past him. The guy had never hid his dislike for him so there was no point in acknowledging it now. He glanced around the living room but didn’t see Key. “Where is he?”

“Bedroom,” Minho practically growled.

Jong stalked off, leaving Minho to close the door behind him. Minho leaned against the door, his steely gaze glued to Key’s now-closed bedroom door, knowing that Jonghyun was in there trying to sweet-talk his way out of the mess he’d made. Usually when Jong came over, he went to his friend’s next door or to the library to get some studying done. In the early days of their relationship, he’d made the mistake of staying in his room whenever Jong visited and, well… needless to say, he’d gotten more than he’d bargained for. Key had quite a pair of lungs on him. It shouldn’t have surprised him since he’d experienced it first hand back when they used to date and during their occasional hookups when neither of them were involved but he had never realized just how vocal Key really was. Maybe it’s Jong who brings it out in him, a tiny voice said, and was instantly silenced.

Gritting his teeth, Minho folded his arms and settled against the door. He was confident that Jong’s visit was going to be a short one and he fully intended to see him out.

-------

Meanwhile, inside the bedroom…

He didn’t turn around when he heard him enter, didn’t acknowledge him in any way. He was too tired, physically and emotionally drained. He just wanted to lay there and feel sorry for himself. Why couldn’t Jong just leave him alone?

“Key-ah…” he heard him say in a coaxing tone, completely unlike Minho’s caring one. The bed dipped as he sat beside him. He felt Jong’s hand on his back and instantly flinched. For the first time since they’d met, he really didn’t want to be touched by him. It didn’t make him feel warm and loved like Minho’s did, it only reminded him of what they were, what they’d done to Onew and made him feel like a piece of meat. He was just a play thing to Jong, something to spend time with when he was bored. Like a hobby.

He started to pull away from the hand but Jong grabbed his arm and flipped him onto his back. Key’s incensed gaze raised to Jong’s confused one.

Jong had figured Key was upset when he didn’t reply to his texts, had seen the proof of it when he didn’t greet him upon entering the room but he’d had no idea he was this angry. What on earth had happened? They hadn’t quarreled when last they’d been together: they’d parted on a happy, and memorable, note. He was genuinely befuddled.

“What’s going on Key? You don’t answer my messages, you won’t even look at me willingly and now that you are, you look like you want to knock my head off. What the hell?”

A myriad of things rushed to the tip of Key’s tongue, things he’d been keeping in so as not to make Jong uncomfortable. He was sorely tempted to give his famous acid tongue free rein but though he was mad, he didn’t want to completely ruin things with Jong. He just needed some time, space.

Taking a deep breath, he said, “Nothing’s going on. I just haven’t been feeling sociable, that’s all. I assumed, wrongly it seems, that you’d heed the unspoken message behind my lack of a response to your texts. I’ll remember next time.”

Jong frowned. “Next time? There won’t be a next time Key.”

For a brief second, Key froze, his heart skipping a beat as he fearfully wondered if Jong was going to break up with him. Had he gone too far?

Jong continued. “We’re going to settle this, whatever it is, here and now. We love each other too much to drag this on.”

Key’s heart skipped a beat again, but this time for a different reason. It was the usual reaction whenever Jong declared his love for him. But on the heels of that, his anger returned full force.

“Have you broken up with Onew then?”

Jong sat back abruptly, temporarily flustered. “Well, no. Of course not. We’ve been over this already. I…”

“Well, until you do, we have nothing to talk about,” Key interjected. He took a deep breath, releasing it on a sigh. “Look, I love you Hyun,” he continued, calling Jong by his pet-name for him. He’d chosen it because it reminded him of ‘hun’. “I’ll probably never love anyone the way I love you ever again but I can’t deal with this anymore. It’s not a matter of my wanting people to know about us. Yes, I want to shout from the rooftops that we’re together but this isn’t about my pride anymore. I can’t continue to look Onew in the eyes, pretending to be his friend or his band mate at the least, knowing that I’m betraying him and helping you to betray him. He knows about us, Hyun. He knows.”

Jong shook his head. “No, he doesn’t. If he had, he…”

Key looked him dead in the eyes, his expression the most serious that Jong had ever seen him. “He knows. I don’t know why you thought you were pulling the wool over his eyes but you really are blind to miss something that was so obvious to me and I don’t even live with him.” Key’s eyes dropped to his hands where they clutched at the thick blanket. “You should be at home, with him, celebrating your…anniversary.”

Jong gasped. “How do you know about that?”

Key lifted his eyes to Jong’s again. “Onew didn’t tell you? Smart of him. I guess he didn’t want to risk spoiling the romantic night he’d planned.” Key absently plucked at the blanket as he spoke. “We ran into each other today. I’d seen him before and avoided him but I guess fate had other plans for us. He’d been so happy, looking for the perfect present for you. He seemed to be especially drawn to the couple rings but settled for something else. A watch I guess, since he’d been carrying a J&K bag. Excellent taste, of course.” He paused to glance at Jong’s wrists. “You’re not wearing it. Why am I not surprised?” Shrugging, he went on. “Like I said, I’d seen him but he hadn’t seen me and I wanted to keep it that way, especially since he looked so utterly joyful but… Needless to say, he wasn’t so pleased when we all but ran into each other.” Key smiled ruefully. “It was a shock to both of us but do you know the first thing he said, despite the fact that I’d probably just ruined his day? He inquired as to my well-being and looked genuinely concerned when I told him I’d been sick.” Key shook his head. “You were right, you know. I was completely selfish when I asked you to break up with him. He deserves so much better… He is so much better. Better than you, better than me. I bet he’s never even thought about cheating on you the entire time you’ve been together, regardless of what you’ve done to him. And me? I’m bedmate number 100?”

Jong reached a hand out to him. “Don’t say that. You know…”

Key shrank back. “Don’t. Just…don’t.” He said nothing, taking a moment to collect himself before continuing. “I’m not going to ask you to choose anymore. There’s no point in it. If you’d wanted to be with me, you would have been, a long time ago. I know you love me, I know you do. That’s the only thing I’m sure about with us. But it doesn’t seem like love is enough.” His eyes met Jong’s again. “I can’t be your dirty little secret anymore. I won’t. I may not be the best person I can be at all times but I deserve better too. I deserve…” He chuckled softly. “Someone like Minho. He loves me and has loved me for a long time, despite my diva ways and never-ending moodiness. And when he looks at me… I know I’m the only one, in his eyes and in his heart. With you, as much as I love and want to trust you, I always have to remind myself that just like you once loved Onew and ended up betraying that love, it’s probably only a matter of time before you did the same to me, whether Onew is still in the picture or not. I’ve been hurt before, Hyun, and you know it. I can’t take that risk again.”

His voice suddenly caught on the emotions that stuck in his throat. Pushing his way through it, he went on. “This hurts enough as it is. I never thought I’d be saying goodbye to you…ever.”

“So don’t,” Jong whispered, speaking for the first time in what felt like hours.

Key laughed self-deprecatingly, tears filling his eyes. “How can I not? All good things must come to an end, right? We can’t go on like this… We were fools to think we could.”

“Key…” Jong moved closer. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the small, square box. Placing it on Key’s lap, he said, “Listen, I love you. If nothing else, believe that.”

Key started to shake his head, his unruly bangs further blurring his vision. “I do but…”

“Shh.” Jong placed a finger against Key’s lips. “Just listen to me, okay? We love each other and so long as that love exists, there’s nothing that can keep us apart. I know things are tough right now, I’m sorry I didn’t realize just how much you were bothered by the situation, but please, just give me some time. I promise things will get better.” He took Key’s hand, picked the box up and placed it on his palm. “Look, I brought this for you. I think you’re gonna love it.” He smiled hopefully.

Key shook his head again. “I don’t want it.”

“Please, just open it. I really think you’re going to enjoy it once you see it. I had it specially made just for you.”

Tears flooded Key’s eyes again. “What did you give to Onew? Did you even remember that today was your anniversary?” His fingers went limp and he let the box roll onto the blanket. “You should be giving that to him, not me.” He looked away. “Go home, Jong. Go home and beg Onew for forgiveness. Maybe one day he’ll forgive me too… We can’t be together right now. Perhaps someday, when all this is behind us, we’ll have a chance again but until then…”

Frustration drove him now. Frustration, which led to anger, but both were fueled by the one thing he’d never been comfortable acknowledging: fear. Of all the ways he’d imagined tonight ending, losing Key had not been one of them. With nothing in mind except domination, his hand abruptly s out and grabbed Key by the back of the head. He barely registered Key’s surprise-widened eyes before he crushed his lips to his. He didn’t even consider being gentle, he simply plowed his way through. His tongue masterfully swept past Key’s clenched teeth, taking possession of his mouth.

Key couldn’t deny the immediate tremors that flooded his body, couldn’t stop his lips from responding to Jong’s assault. The traitorous vessel was too in tune with Jong’s ardent passion, had missed it, and this little taste was enough to awaken his burning desire. Mentally, he knew he should push Jong away, he wanted to, but emotionally… He was all over the place. His emotional grid was off the charts. But when he felt himself being lowered onto the bed, Jong’s free hand tugging his shirt upward, something inside him switched off. The desire was gone: he was now overcome by an incredible sadness. He really wanted to be with Jong, couldn’t deny how much his body yearned for a union, but he hated that he used their love-making as a weapon. It wasn’t the first time and he knew it wouldn’t be the last. He always tried teasing and cajoling to get his way and if push came to shove, a direct assault on the senses gave him his victory. But not tonight: Key refused to be conquered.

Mustering his strength, he pushed as hard as he could on Jong’s chest. At first he didn’t budge, and tried to catch Key’s wrists instead, but Key evaded his hold and tore his lips away, pushing again with all his might. This time Jong reared up enough for Key to scoot out from under him. He rolled off the bed and moved to the windows across the room.

Jong was incredulous. “What the hell?”

“Please leave,” Key whispered, his eyes beseeching.

Jong sighed, obviously annoyed. “Quit the dramatics, Kibum, you know you don’t mean that. You want it just as much as I do.”

“Get out!” Key screeched, barely able to keep the floodgates closed. He’d never been hurt more by Jong than he was by his last statement.

Jong’s head snapped up in shock. He’d seen Key throw a tantrum before but never had he been on the verge of hysterics. Jong stood, holding his hand out in a non-threatening show of calm. “Key-ah… Come on, let’s talk about this.”

“Please,” Key begged through clenched teeth, a stubborn tear pushing its way past his rigid control and rolling silently down his cheek.

Because it hurt Jong to see him like that, in such obvious pain, he quietly turned and left the room. Not surprisingly, Minho was waiting with the front door already opened. Without a word, he walked past and the door closed behind him with a sense of finality.

Minho all but ran to Key’s bedroom door. He froze when he saw him plastered to the wall across the room. He’d never seen Key so utterly ruined. “Oh, honey…” he whispered, his heart wrenching painfully.

Unable to support himself any longer, his legs gave in and he fell to his knees. The tears that had been threatening, that he’d tried so hard to hold back, finally ran freely down his cheeks. He covered his face in shame, not wanting Minho to see him like this, but he had no control. He couldn’t stop the tears, or the shuddering sobs that accompanied them. When he felt strong arms wrap around him, he dropped his hands and buried his face in Minho’s neck, his heartache now flowing like a river down the front of Minho’s shirt as he whimpered softly.

Minho said nothing, just held him as he shook like a leaf in his arms. His aching heart burned a hole in his chest and rage ran rampant in his blood. If Jong hadn’t left, if Minho had seen Key like this before he’d walked out, the guy would be going out bloodied and broken.

I could kill him for this.

 

 

A/N: I apologize for whatever errors this may have but I wrote this a year ago and really don't feel like proofing. I have so many ongoing projects right now ><'