Chapter 1

Risky Business

♪Someone’s gotta be the one to tell her that we got it going on..

 

“When are you going to tell him about us?”

Sighing heavily, Jonghyun rolled onto his back and threw an arm over his eyes. He felt the bed move as Kibum turned away from him, curling onto his side, an image he could readily picture because it had become par for the course every time they made love. He was growing tired of the ‘discussion’, as he thought of it, but what could he say? Kibum had every right to ask that question.

They’d been secretly seeing each other for six months now. He was in a committed relationship with a wonderful man whom he loved, while Key was single and free to do as he pleased. Jong hadn’t intended to have a torrid affair, nor had he wanted a fling per se, but once they’d begun spending time together, a conflagration of emotion and desire had engulfed them both and neither had been strong enough to resist. He’d honestly thought it would’ve passed within a month, maybe two, but now, six months later, he was undeniably head over heels in love with Key. And he had no idea what to do about it.

“I told you, it’s going to take some time,” he finally answered.

“I don’t see why it’s so difficult. How hard could it possibly be to break up with someone? Assuming you even want to, that is…” Key purposely let the sentence hang in the air, his meaning loud and clear.

Don’t get snippy, he reminded himself. He didn’t want to fight, he really didn’t. Contrary to popular belief, he hated it. But he was growing tired of being in a situation where he had no control and it irked his pride that he was forced to hide their love, as if it was something to be ashamed of. Being openly gay in their society was hard enough but being forced to keep his relationship on the down-low... Jong had no right to ask that of him. As an openly gay man himself, he should know how stressful that alone could be. Love was something to be celebrated, not hidden away like a bastard step-child.

Sighing, Jong dropped his arm and glanced at his lover. “Key-ah... I told you, it’s complicated. Nyu’s invested so much in us, in our relationship, I can’t just go to him and say, “Hey, sorry but I’m in love with someone else so you gotta go. Thanks for the last three years of your life though!” He deserves better than that.”

Key’s heart fluttered as it always did when Jong said he loved him. Sometimes he could hardly believe it but he reminded himself that now was not the time to be fanciful. Throwing a hard glance over his shoulder, he retorted, “And me? What do I deserve?”

Jong held his gaze, trying to figure out what to say to diffuse the situation. He really couldn’t deal with this right now. He liked to start the day off on a cheerful note and that didn’t involve arguing with the man who held the key to his heart. Deciding talk would get them nowhere, he trailed a finger down Key’s spine, never breaking eye-contact, mentally patting himself on the back when an involuntary shudder wracked Key’s delicate frame.

“Stop that,” Key growled through clenched teeth.

Jong grinned and slid his hand all the way down, gently cupping Key’s . Leaning forward, he pressed a kiss to his bare shoulder. “Do you really want me to?” he murmured against his skin.

Key shivered. He knew what Jong was trying to do and damn his hide, it was working! He leaned away trying to put some space between them but Jong crept up behind him until his chest was flush against Key’s back. He could feel the warm hardness of Jong’s toned body pressing against him and that was more than enough to awaken his never-ending hunger for his man.

Key couldn’t stifle his frustrated groan. Taking it as encouragement, Jong kissed his way around Key’s shoulder to his neck, which he knew was a very sensitive area, and gently lapped at the soft skin there. There was nothing Key could do to suppress the tremors that shook him this time. He knew that if he didn’t say what he needed to say now, he’d soon be too mind-boggled to even think for a couple of hours.

“Cut it out! We have to talk about this” he finally managed.

Jong stopped and rolled Key onto his back. He placed a hand on either side of Key’s body and leaned in so they were eye to eye. His expression now was the most serious that Key had ever seen him.

“Key… You know I love you, with all my heart. I’m not the sort of person to say something like that unless it’s true. But what kind of man would I be if I just threw away someone who has meant so much to me, who still means a lot to me. I’m in love with you but I still care a great deal for Onew. After all he’s done for me, do you really want me to throw him out like yesterday’s garbage? Is that the kind of man you want to be with? Maybe you can live with it but I certainly can’t.”

Key stared deeply into Jong’s eyes and knew he was right. As much as he wanted Jong to himself, he didn’t hate Onew enough to risk hurting him that badly. The truth was, he didn’t hate Onew at all. The guy was perfect: good-looking, great personality, intelligent, talented. Everyone loved him, many wanted to be him and even more wanted to be with him. It kinda annoyed Key that there was nothing wrong with the guy but even if there had been, he still deserved common courtesy. He knew firsthand what it was like to have his heart broken and he’d never wish it on another soul, not even his worst enemy, which Onew certainly wasn’t.

Sighing, Key nodded. “You’re right, of course. Affairs of the heart should be handled with the utmost care. It’s just…” His words trailed off but his eyes spoke volumes and Jong couldn’t ignore the message.

He lifted a hand and gently Key’s cheek. “I know…” He paused for a moment before continuing, his grin returning. “But there’s nothing we can do about it right this minute so...” He ground his hips against Key’s and let his intentions be felt. “Will you shut up now and let me make love to you?”

A flush crept across Key’s face and shoulders. He couldn’t bring himself to speak so he simply nodded again. With a throaty chuckle, Jong dipped his head and caught Key’s lips with his own. Key’s hand crept up and around Jong’s shoulders, pulling him closer and deepening the kiss. As they lost themselves in each other and their love, the troubles that plagued them disappeared. It was a long time before either of them came up for air…