Walls have ears

A page in history [HIATUS]

 

A/N: Before the story begins, I hope you have all read Unexpected by now.  It's  Sulay oneshot side story to this. If you're interested in Sulay, I need you to read it before you read this chapter. If you don't really care about Yixing and Junmian then... whatever XD

Sisters: Obviously, they are not blood related. In chinese this would be ‘JieMeiMen’, Jie = older sister, mei = younger sister, men = plural form. It’s kinda like how you say that SNSD are all sisters you know? Like how one SNSD member would refer to the other SNSD members as her ‘sisters’, that kind of thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sisters: Obviously, they are not blood related. In chinese this would be ‘JieMeiMen’, Jie = older sister, mei = younger sister, men = plural form. It’s kinda like how you say that SNSD are all sisters you know? Like how one SNSD member would refer to the other SNSD members as her ‘sisters’, that kind of thing.

Consort Jia’s room was empty when he arrived. Zitao could have nearly slapped himself. Of course, she was still going to be showing off Xiumin’s roller-skates. He wasn’t really inclined to just leave the clothes there, so he took them with him back to the palace maid quarters. In front of his door, Minying and Xiuzhi stood there. No not stood, they were kneeling on the ground.

“What do you want?” Zitao tried to make his words come out as harsh as possible, but surprise was leaking through. Surprise at why those two girls were kneeling on the ground, in a half-bowed pose.

“We um…” Xiuzhi started, hesitating. Minying elbowed her sharply in the ribs and she shut up immediately and Minying took over the role.

“We came to apologise.” Minying finished.

Zitao raised an eyebrow. “Apologise? For what?”

“For being mean to you… and for saying those things about you. We know they’re not true, we were just… well… we were jealous of how much Consort Jia favoured you.” Minying lowered her head.

“Consort Jia favours me? Me?” Zitao snorted, holding in laughter.

“Yes she really does. When you’re not here, she’s all praising you and stuff and saying why can’t any of us be… smarter.” Xiuzhi said quickly.

“We’re really sorry, Zitao. Can you accept our apology?” Minying pleaded. Zitao looked at them warily. But then again, Minying and Xiuzhi would never willingly put themselves in such demeaning positions.

“Alright. I forgive you. Stand up.” Zitao smiled a little, tentatively holding out his hand in a peace offering. Minying grinned, taking it and standing up, leaving Xiuzhi to pick herself up.

“Thank you Zitao! You’re so nice. Let us repay you for all those things we did in the past. Those clothes, are they for Consort Jia?” Zitao nodded in response to Minying’s question. “We’ll deliver them to her for you. You get some rest ok?”

Zitao gladly handed the clothes over. “Really? Thanks Minying, Xiuzhi.”

“No problem. We’re all sisters*, right?” Minying smiled, Xiuzhi nodding her head.

Zitao grinned, happy that Minying and Xiuzhi had finally changed their ways. “Of course. I’ll see you later than.” Minying and Xiuzhi nodded, going off to deliver the clothes and Zitao entered his room.

***

Soon, the gathering finished, and Consort Jia swept into her room. Literally, since she still had her roller-skates on. She was in a pleasant mood, ordering (though in a more gentle tone) for the palace maids to remove her shoes.

“The Emperor has invited me out on a walk.” Consort Jia said smugly. Minying elbowed Xiuzhi at that moment, and Xiuzhi stepped forward with the clothes in her arms.

“Consort Jia, your new clothes have arrived.” Xiuzhi knelt, holding the clothes out before her. Consort Jia picked them up, instantly unwrapping them and shaking them out so that she could see it fully.

“Perfect. I shall get changed into these immediately, for the Emperor and I’s walk.” Consort Jia proclaimed. Instantly, two palace maids rushed to clothes the double doors, and Consort Jia stood up with her hands outstretched. Really, she expected to have them dress her, could she not dress herself? 5 palace maids working on one person…

But it did get done, and Zitao approved of Xiumin’s skills. Much as he hated to admit it, but they looked good on Consort Jia, and even though she was a snarky , she was a pretty beautiful woman.

But still a .

“The Emperor has arrived!” an eunuch yelled from outside. Consort Jia instantly sat herself down, waving the palace maids to one side of the room. The door was opened and the Emperor strode in, looking pleasant. The palace maids immediately bowed, Consort Jia doing the same.

“Rise. Well, Jia, shall we then?” The Emperor smiled, offering his arm. Consort Jia stood, taking it graciously, and the palace maids followed, as well as the Emperor’s own procession, which consisted of eunuchs.

“That spectacle today was truly something, Jia.” The Emperor said once they had come to a gazebo. The Emperor was now facing Consort Jia who acted like a shy girl.

“The Emperor is too kind to Chengqie.” She simpered, holding her handkerchief to . The Emperor chuckled, taking his eyes off from the scenery to turn his attention back to Consort Jia. But it stopped cold, his gaze hardening and an angry expression on his face. The buttons which had held Consort Jia’s clothes had come undone, meaning that the top was now hanging open. Of course, they were many layers to a concubine’s clothing, but it showed much more than allowed.

“Low-class…” The Emperor hissed, turning his back and striding off quickly. Consort Jia hurriedly put the buttons back, but they wouldn’t hold. She flushed with anger and embarrassment.

***

“WHO DID IT?!” Consort Jia yelled. All her palace maids were not kneeling before her. After changing out of that outfit, Consort Jia had inspected it to see that the button holes had in fact been cut, so that it wouldn’t hold for that long.

“Was it you, Xiuzhi? You handed it to me…” Consort Jia growled lowly, directing her glare at Xiuzhi. Her expression was livid, at boiling point. She angrily clenched a cup of tea in her hand, holding it so tight that Zitao could hear the china creaking before finally giving way, leaving Consort Jia will a crushed tea cup and spilled tea on her hands.

Xiuzhi looked shocked, and she turned to stare at Minying. Minying rolled her eyes before directing her attention towards Consort Jia. “Consort Jia, it wasn’t Xiuzhi. But Zitao had it before us. We saw Zitao fiddling around with the clothes before just leaving them outside, and we thought ‘Aren’t they Consort Jia’s clothes? Why is Zitao being so careless with it?’ So nubi took it upon ourselves to deliver it to Consort Jia.”

Zitao froze, his expression contorting into one of betrayal. Consort Jia nodded, satisfied with Minying’s answer. Well more so satisfied because she now had someone to blame. “Zitao! You did this, didn’t you?”

“No, Consort Jia, nubi---“

“I can’t believe you would do such a thing! Do I not treat you well enough? Zitao, you---“

“I did it.”

All the people in the room froze, turning to the person who stood at the entrance. Xiumin walked in, kneeling before Consort Jia with his head bowed. “My apologies, Consort Jia. It must have been a slip of the hand. I apologise for now checking.”

Consort Jia looked shocked, but soon it morphed into one of triumph. “Eunuchs! Drag this vile thing away and give him 50 beatings!”

Zitao snapped his head up, completely horrified. 50 beatings?! “Consort Jia---“

“Zitao, go with him to make sure he serves his punishment.” Consort Jia curled her lip as she looked at the form of Xiumin being dragged off by various eunuchs. Zitao jumped onto his feet, instantly running after him.

***

Xiumin was thrown harshly into the room, dim light illuminating a table and the various wooden sticks lined up against it. Really, being noble wasn’t all that wonderful, he thought drily. He was hoisted up onto the table and made to lie on his stomach. The first hit was painful, and it didn’t help that the next came without having recovered. He endured probably 5 before Zitao burst into the room, the 2 eunuchs pausing in their punishment to look at the intruder.

“What do you want, palace maid?” one eunuch asked sharply.

Zitao swallowed, raising his head up high. “Consort Jia just asked me to put this on him, to make it more… painful.” Zitao held out a cushion, which was cover in a metallic cover. Hopefully, he could fool them into thinking it was some appliance that made it worse.

“Really?” the other eunuch eyed Zitao suspiciously.

“Of course. Why would I lie to you? You are my seniors, I have the utmost respect for you. Lying would demean myself.” Zitao lied smoothly through his teeth. The eunuchs looked at each other for a while, Zitao crossing his fingers and praying that it would work.

“Alright. But any funny business and you’ll serve it with him.” The first eunuch gave in. Zitao nodded his head fervently moving towards the table that Xiumin was lying on and placing the cushion there, before holding it in place by putting a piece of cloth over the top.

“Don’t worry.” Zitao whispered, moving away and letting the eunuchs resume their punishment.

The yells of pain that Xiumin let out after that were completely fake.

***

“Thank you Zitao.”

“Don’t be, it natural to do that.” Zitao laughed. “Oh, it kind of reminds me of when 4th-prince saved me from when Consort Jia threw a fit and gave me 20 beatings.”

Xiumin was silent, the smile slowing falling off his face. “Really…4th-prince did that?”

Zitao tilted his head, stopping to turn to Xiumin. “Why yes. He’s a really kind person.”

Xiumin barked a harsh laugh. “I wouldn’t say that.”

“What why?”

Xiumin looked around, looking every the part of a spy, as he was checking if the coast was clear. “Come with me. It’s not safe to talk here, palace walls have ears.”

***

Xiumin poured Zitao a cup of tea, which he took out of pure politeness, using it only to warm his hands. Xiumin put the teapot down, sitting down opposite Zitao and staring at him.

“Well, what did you want to tell me?” Zitao finally said.

Xiumin sighed. “There are these…rumours about the 4th-prince.”

Zitao hissed. “Rumours? RUMOURS? I would have thought of you better than to believe those!” His hackles rose in defence of the 4th-prince.

Xiumin put a hand out, gesturing for Zitao to sit back down. He hadn’t even realised that he had been standing up. “Just… hear me out, alright Zitao? Yes, they are rumours, but the only reason why they aren’t fact is because the 4th-prince himself has neither confirmed nor denied it. I’ve worked in the palace, I’ve been in and out countless times working as the royal tailor. I can assure you that unless there is a completely different story, those rumours are 99% true.”

Zitao sat down with a huff, crossing his arms tightly across his chest and scowling darkly at Xiumin. “Fine.” He said shortly. “I’ll listen.”

Xiumin gave a small smile. “Thank you Zitao. I’m doing this for your own good, you know?”

“Just get on with it.”

“Alright, alright.” Xiumin held up his hands in mock surrender. “Let’s start from the beginning…”

*3 years ago *

“Emperor! Emperor!”

“Ahaha, 14th-son, you’re that excited?”

The 14th-prince nodded, almost running directly into the Emperor’s arms, but his mother held him back. “14th-son, that is of utter disrespect to the Emperor! You are already 12 years old, you are too old for that!”

The Emperor let out a booming laugh, waving a hand in dismissal. Imperial Noble Consort Qian hesitated, before reluctantly drawing her hand and letting the 14th-prince freely jump onto the Emperor in a hug.

It was clear to anyone, that the 14th-prince, born of Imperial Noble Consort Qian was the favourite of the Emperor. Imperial Noble Consort Qian was always a favourite of the Emperor, with her gentle and calm attitude. When she had her first child, the 4th-prince, the Emperor was delighted. But his attention had always been on the 2nd and crown prince, as he was born of the Empress. But when the Empress died, the Emperor lost interest in the crown prince. It was around that time, when the Emperor had finally turned his attention back to Imperial Noble Consort Qian, and learned of the news that she had had another child, the 14th-prince.

The 14th-prince reminded the Emperor of himself greatly. He was an energetic prince, with a daredevil spirit. 14th-prince Zhongren was always playing pranks on the palace maids, and caused his nurse great strife whenever he went missing. When he was around 10 years old, the Empress had died, and the Emperor had finally turned his attention back to Imperial Noble Consort Qian. When he was finally formally introduced, the first thing he had done was stage an elaborate prank to pour tea (thankfully cooled) on the Emperor. And like all his other plans, it was a great success, and 14th-prince Zhongren had fallen over laughing at the Emperor’s wet state while his mother and all the palace maids and eunuchs looked on completely pale faced with fear.

The Emperor had laughed. He had laughed long and hard, and even commended the 14th-prince on his ingenuity on staging such a grand scale prank. Imperial Noble Consort Qian breathed a sigh of relief glad that she wasn’t going to get punished for her son’s doing. The prank seemed to form a bond between the Emperor and the 14th-prince, the 14th-prince becoming his favourite son. Even though the 14th-prince was a prankster and a bundle of energy, he was incredibly smart as well. He was top of his class, and likeable. All the palace maids were falling for him pedonoona-ing him, and the eunuchs spoiled him. His teachers adored him, and he was happy to everyone, and had this charisma that everyone fell for. Everyone knew, that he was going to be the heir to the throne. Likable, smart and the Emperor’s favourite, the Emperor was definitely going to announce him as his successor.

But while everyone fawned over Imperial Noble Consort Qian’s second son, they had quite forgotten about her first son. 4th-prince Yixing had really done everything he could to get into the Emperor’s good books. He was smart, top of his class and better than a lot of his brothers. But when he was younger, the Emperor had his attention solely on the crown prince. When the Empress died, 4th-prince Yixing thought that finally, he would get the attention he deserved. But then 14th-prince Zhongren had come along, and really, he had ruined everything. Stealing the limelight, he didn’t even have all of his mother’s affections anymore.

And at the rate it was going, 14th-prince Zhongren would succeed the throne. The throne belonged to him, 4th-prince Yixing! He had spent all his life preparing for it, it was meant to be his. But Zhongren… Zhongren was first in line, that wasn’t going to do.

It happened on the 14th-prince’s birthday. He was turning 13 years old, and a big party was planned. The Emperor wanted nothing but the best for his favourite son, and thus all the concubines, and all the princes were invited. Musical and poetry performances were planned in the 14th-prince’s honour. It was going to be huge. 14th-prince had been kept in his chamber, with 8th-prince Yifan looking over him. The 14th-prince and the 8th-prince got along very well, they were the best of friends. It was only logical that since his mother and the Emperor and all the palace maids and eunuchs were preparing for the 14th-prince’s party, 8th-prince would keep him company. The princes had nothing to do, except help the Emperor when they were called upon.

So the 14th-prince lay on his bed still fast asleep. His party was at night, and the Emperor had demanded that it be kept a surprise for his favourite son. So until then, 8th-prince Yifan would keep him company.

No one really knows what happened after that, but many assumptions were made. A few concubines were on the makeshift stage, rehearsing their dance performance. It was just a few hours until the party. Eunuchs and palace maids bustled everywhere, putting tables in place. The Emperor sat off to the side, watching everything with happiness and the princes gathered into small groups, talking amongst themselves. It was a picture of harmony.

It took only one word to bring it all crashing down.

“FIRE!”

An eunuch yelled the word out at the top of his lungs. A shocked silence instantly fell over the gathering. People looked left and right, until one concubine pointed it out.

“It’s over there! Where… where the 14th-prince’s chamber is!”

A plume of smoke was rising in the air, steadily getting thicker and thicker, turning darker and darker. A clattering stopped the panicked chatter, the sound of the Emperor standing up with enough force to topple his makeshift throne over. He strode quickly in the direction of the fire, Imperial Noble Consort Qian running after him, holding a handkerchief to her face.

The fire state… it was painful to see just how bad it was. Red hot flames at the walls, engulfing the entire chamber. Dark grey smoke billowed everywhere, the concubines coughing as he reached them.

“Water!”

“There’s no water!”

“The water supply has been cut off!”

The eunuchs who had been near the chamber when the fire started had returned. They had gone to fetch water, but it had been cut off. There was nothing that could save the fire. The Emperor watched on in mute horror as the roof caved in, turning into a pile of black charcoal under the relentless flames. The orange flames rose higher and higher, the cacophony of noise rising as well as eunuchs and palace maids scrambled to find anything to put the fire out.

“The water’s back!”

The palace maid’s cry brought a resounding cheer through the servants. They rushed, lugging buckets of water and drenching the 14th-prince’s chamber. But they had been too late. When the fire was finally put out, the blackened remains of the building lay pathetically on the ground, soaking wet but still sizzling slightly. The Emperor moved almost robotically, ignoring the cries of the eunuchs that told him not to go there, it could still be hot and could burn the Emperor. But the Emperor paid them no heed, walking through the debris.

He emerged soon after, carrying a limp body in his hands. No words were needed, everyone knew it was the 14th-prince’s body. His body was depressing to look at. It seemed to have captured his last moments of life, his eyes wide open, a crease of panic between his eyebrows. A burnt blanket was wrapped tightly around his body, it seemed like he had wrapped himself up in it to try to stop the burns. It had worked to some extent. His hair was burnt, his hands and feet slightly pink. But he had died from suffocation, and there were black marks on his face, showing the soot.

Imperial Noble Consort Qian let out a racking sob, pushing forward to envelop her second son. “14th-son, 14th-son, don’t do this to me! Wake up! Wake up my son…” she descended into wails, clutching at the body and his burnt hair. “14th-son…”

The Emperor watched over, tears gathering his eyes. “Why are you all here? Be gone!” he yelled. The palace maids, eunuchs, concubines and princes all gave a start, quickly leaving the scene. Only Imperial Noble Consort Qian and the Emperor were left, hugging the body of 14th-prince Zhongren.

“14th-di! I’m back what happened?!” 8th-prince Yifan had walked in with a loud smile only to stop dead on at the burnt chamber and the dead body. The Emperor stood up, staring at the 8th-prince with quite, boiling rage.

“Where were you?! You should have protected him!” The Emperor screamed. The 8th-prince fell onto his knees in front of the Emperor.

“Emperor, please forgive me. 14th-di asked for some food so---“

“So nothing! How could you leave him alone! 14th-son died in that fire, you could have saved him! You should have died in his place!” The Emperor turned his back on the shocked 8th-prince picking up the body of the 14th-prince and hugging him to his chest.

“Mother, Emperor… what happened?” 4th-prince Yixing appeared at that moment, freezing just like Yifan had done before rushing to the 14th-prince’s side.

“14th-di… 14th-di… open your eyes! It’s 4th-ge here! 14th-di!!! No!!!” 4th-prince cried out, turning his head to bury it in his mother’s embrace. His cries triggered those of Imperial Noble Consort Qian and the Emperor’s again, his mother patting gently at his back her tears wetting his shoulder. The Emperor shook his head in grief, his eyes tearing up as well as the 4th-prince let out loud wails.

Afterwards, it was heard from the 8th-prince when he recounted the events to his friends the 9th-prince and 10th-prince. A palace maid overheard them.

All while Imperial Noble Consort Qian sobbed while embracing the 4th-prince, and the Emperor refused to look up, the 4th-prince’s eyes remained dry. He loudly wailed, all while staring directly at the 8th-prince over his mother’s shoulder. And he smirked. A triumphant, vicious smirk, not a single bit of remorse in his cold eyes.

Eunuchs also said, that before the start of the fire, 4th-prince had been missing from the other prince’s as they gathered around in front of the stage. Palace maids spotted 4th-prince lurking around the 14th-prince’s chamber, looking very suspicious. Some even said that he had holding something in his hands, something that he was keeping hidden. But no one every confirmed those stories. Mysteriously, those palace maids resigned the very next day, and 4th-prince Yixing was so struck with ‘grief’ that he had retreated to his chamber for an entire month.

End flashback

“They’re just rumours. And I can’t believe that you’re aiding in spread those defamatory rumours about the 4th-prince! I can’t believe you Xiumin! How could you be such a person!” Zitao slammed his hands on the table after Xiumin finished his recount.

“They’re true Zitao!”

“True?! What did you hear it confirmed by the 4th-prince himself? I know him better than you do, he would never do something like that!”

“You don’t know the real 4th-prince!”

“Yes I do! How could you say such a thing Xiumin? Never talk to me again, I don’t want to SEE your face ever again in my entire LIFE!” Zitao pushed the table away, making it fall over. The teapot and teacups slid off, crashing with a loud cacophony.

“Zitao!”

A loud slam of the door answered Xiumin’s plea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Ohohohohoho did you like that? I hope you did, I put quite a bit of effort into this chapter. It's longer than usual. 14th-prince Zhongren is Kai. Jongin = Zhongren. I did say that I was going to change your views didn't I? *evil laugh*

- Lulu