Roller-skates

A page in history [HIATUS]

 

A few days later, Zitao finally had an idea of what to do that would fit Consort Jia’s demands. He had come to the realisation, that since he was way back into the past, anything remotely modern would have the Imperial family doing ‘Ooh’s and ‘Ah’s. So Zitao had chosen something very simple.

Roller-skates.

Actually roller-skates were out of the norm now, no one really used them anymore. But in these times, such things had not yet been introduced. And if one was good, perhaps not good, but at least not flailing about when on roller-skates, they made one seem quite graceful.

And wasn’t grace the one thing all Imperial time girls wanted?

In theory, the idea was amazing, and Zitao did go through a short period of time where he was essentially patting himself on the back at the fact that he wasn’t going to die at Consort Jia’s hands. But then when it came to it, he hit a very big obstacle. See, Zitao was a typical 21st century boy, studying in high school, learning wushu, listening to music, and he didn’t exactly know how to make roller-skates. Heck he could barely roller-skate himself, his first and last attempt resulted in a lot of pain when he fell down a hill. Thankfully there were no broken bones involved.

So really, when you can’t do something yourself, the most logical thing, is to get someone else to do it. And that was what Zitao did. He told Consort Jia of his plan, and she approved it. When he told her that he needed to go outside the Forbidden City to get it made, she was quick to agree, practically shooing him out to get it done. Zitao had in mind to ask Feifei about it, since she seemed practical and was the only person who would help.

***

Zitao knocked twice on the door, letting his hand fall limply to his side afterwards as he waited awkwardly outside the door to the Royal Tailor. Again, quick hurried footsteps were heard and the door was opened a crack before fully inviting Zitao in.

“Is Aunt Feifei in?” Zitao asked Feifei’s nephew, Xiumin as he followed the boy through to the sitting room.

“Unfortunately no. She’s returned to her village for the next few days.” Xiumin smiled apologetically, sitting down at the table. Zitao copied the boy.

“She left a little boy all alone?!” Zitao gaped, shaking his head at how irresponsible Feifei was.

Xiumin laughed. “Little boy? I’m sure I’m older than you.”

“Really now. I’m 18, then.” Zitao raised an eyebrow.

“And I’m 21.” Xiumin grinned.

“21?! Really?! You look like a 15 year old!”

“Ahaha thanks. But anyway, why are you looking for Aunt Feifei?”

Zitao shook his head, ordering his thoughts. “Ah, I wanted to ask her to make something for me.”

“What thing?” Xiumin asked.

“Ah, you wouldn’t know it.” Zitao sighed.

Xiumin leaned over the table. “Really? Try me.”

Zitao chucked, shaking his head once again at Xiumin’s tenacity. “It’s roller-skates.”

“Roll what?”

“Roller-skates. They’re kinda like shoes, but with wheels on the bottom, and you wear them, and well roll around with them on.” Zitao explained. Xiumin sat back down in his chair, a thoughtful expression on his face.

“So like wheelie shoes, yea?” Xiumin asked just to be sure. Zitao nodded. It was a full 5 minutes of Zitao awkwardly sipping his tea while Xiumin spaced out, staring at the wall behind Zitao, his eyes glazed over.

Suddenly Xiumin snapped his fingers causing Zitao to jump from the shock, choking on his tea and spraying it out on the table yet again. What was with this place and Zitao’s misfortune of choking everytime he came. Zitao was starting to hate tea.

“I got it! Woah, Zitao what happened?” Xiumin noticed the state that Zitao was in, with a cup outstretched, the table top covered in flecks of liquid, and tea still running down Zitao’s chin.

“Nothing, you just startled me, no biggie.” Zitao replied, picking up a handkerchief to wipe his chin.

“So it’s my fault?” Xiumin looked concerned.

“If you put it that way, I guess.” Zitao grinned at Xiumin, the older boy rolling his eyes and lightly knocking his fist with Zitao’s head.

“I can make those rolling shates.”

“Roller-skates.”

“Roller-skates.” Xiumin corrected himself. “Those things. I do sometimes make shoes for the concubines as well, I don’t think adding wheels on would be too hard. Do you know the size of Consort Jia’s feet?”

“Nope. Why would I bother learning stuff about her?” Zitao wrinkled his nose in disgust at the mental picture of thinking about that woman’s feet.

“Rebellious palace maid. Well, tomorrow tell me it, I’ll draw up plans tonight. And then tomorrow, we’ll start work on it.” Xiumin resolved, a determined and excited look coming over his face.

“Awesome. Thank you Xiumin, you’re a lifesaver.” Zitao stood up, giving Xiumin a casual grateful hug, before taking his leave.

***

The next day, Zitao returned to the tailor, having measured Consort Jia’s feet, much to his disgust. The minute he opened the door, he had to squeeze his eyes shut. The reason being that there was so much sawdust and woodchips flying through the air if he opened them, he would most probably start crying. From irritation.

“Yah! Xiumin what is this?!” Zitao choked out.

“Ah, Zitao you’re here! Sorry, just swat it away.” Xiumin yelled from the other end of the room. Zitao scowled, opening his eyes just a crack and hitting harshly at the flying wood pieces like they had personally offended him. Which they had, mind you.

“Why is there so much wood?” Zitao asked, the moment he reached Xiumin. The boy was hunched over a block of wood, cutting out a wheel.

“Sorry Zitao, it just took a while to get it right…” Xiumin apologised. “You got her foot size?”

“Yup. Here.” Zitao handed over a piece of paper. Xiumin took it, looking at it before turning to stare at the collection of shoes he had.

“Alright, let’s get to work then!” Xiumin threw his fist in the air, staring at Zitao until he mimicked him.

The next few hours was largely spent by Xiumin checking his plans over and attempting to make it according to them. Then failing, Zitao would amend the plans with his futuristic knowledge, and so on. Eventually they did have a pair of roller-skates, slightly dodge (after all, they were wooden wheels) but they worked.

“Thank you Xiumin!” Zitao smiled. “You’re---“

“A lifesaver? I know.” Xiumin finished with a cheeky grin. Zitao rolled his eyes, lightly pinching Xiumin’s cheek (which he had been dying to do for a while). Now all Zitao had left to do, watch get Consort Jia to use them, and he would have ridded all the strikes against him.

***

“The Emperor has arrived!” an eunuch yelled loudly. The concubines instantly stopped their conversation, bowing down on one knee with their heads lowered as the Emperor made his way towards his throne. This gathering was held in a balcony-like room, with a throne for the Emperor against the back wall. Opposite the Emperor’s throne, there was no wall, as it was open ended. And on the ride and left side sat 3 chairs and table each, one for each of the 6 concubines.

“Rise.” The Emperor rose a hand.

“Thank you, Emperor.” The concubines chorused, rising. The 5 concubines stood up, starting to make their way to their respective seats.

“Where is Jia?” the Emperor frowned.

Consort Liu gave a short curtsey before replying. “Chengqie doesn’t know, Emperor. How unseemly of her to be late.” Consort Liu smirked slightly, sharing the look with 2 other concubines, Consort Yuan and Consort Xue.

The Emperor’s expression suddenly became confused, and he tilted his head upwards, attempting to see past the blockage of the standing concubines. Instantly, the concubines parted, sitting down finally to give the Emperor a better view. And like a scene out of a drama, the moment the other concubines parted, Consort Jia was see, seemingly floating towards the balcony. Consort Liu let out a low hiss, turning to the Emperor to try to distract him, but his expression was impressed, and solely directed towards Consort Jia. Consort Jia did a few turns, making a few showy hand movements before skating into the room, circling the Emperor’s throne a few times before stopping in front of the Emperor with a bow.

“Rise.” The Emperor said warmly, a smile in his voice. Consort Jia silently cheered, standing up.

“That was quite a show.” Imperial Noble Consort Qian smiled, her eyes crinkling up. Consort Jia stiffened, squashing the urge to snap at her, but she must keep her cool in front of the Emperor.

“That was beautiful, Jia. Sit, sit.” The Emperor gestured to the seta on his left. Whoever sat closest to the Emperor was obviously higher ranked. The closest seat on his right is always taken by the Empress, or in this case, Imperial Noble Consort Qian. The one on his left is taken by his current favourite. Consort Liu hissed in anger, but she couldn’t resist, sulkily moving seats. Consort Jia looked absolutely triumphant.

***

Zitao rather thought of himself as a babysitter now. Only the baby was a y concubine of the Emperor. He had to watch over Consort Jia whenever his plans (which she claimed as hers) were being put into action. And the roller-skate one was no exception. He crouched low on a balcony which gave him a view of the place. If he was standing, if any of the concubines or the Emperor looked up, they would see him and Consort Jia was going to wring his neck if ‘her’ wonderful plan was ruined.

Thankfully it went without a hitch. Zitao breathed a sigh of relief, turning to sit, leaning against the balcony barrier.

“What are you doing here?” a voice sneered. Zitao looked upwards to find Minying and Xiuzhi staring down their noses at him.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” Zitao rolled his eyes. He really didn’t want to waste his time talking to these girls.

“Dirtying the floor by dumping your pathetic on it.” Zitao had really meant that question as a rhetorical question. Minying wasn’t exactly supposed to answer it. He sighed, picking himself off the ground and dusting himself off, preparing to leave.

“You’re so pitiful.” Xiuzhi drawled. Zitao stopped, turning on his heel to face them again.

“I don’t think I remember asking for your pity.” Zitao smiled, tilting his head and pretending to clean his ear. Minying’s eyes flashed, clearly her plan hadn’t worked.

“Tell me Zitao.” Minying spat his name out. “What were you before you came here? Some dirt poor villager? Did you try to yourself out around a prince, in the hope of marrying them and getting rich? I’ll tell you something, they’ll never like someone like you.”

“Really? I quite like her.”

Minying and Xiuzhi turned around completely startled. Zitao, although he was surprised, had pretty much gotten used to the 8th-prince popping up out of nowhere.

“8th-prince!” Minying and Xiuzhi instantly bowed down.

“What was that you were saying about my Zitao?” Yifan said, gliding over to where Zitao was standing, wrapping an arm around Zitao’s waist. Zitao flinched but didn’t pull away.

“8th-prince, nubi---“

“I don’t think you’re in any position to tell me what I’m thinking aren’t you? I’m sure that I know what’s in my head better than you do, correct?”

Minying clenched her fists, lowering her head again and speaking to the ground. “Of course, 8th-prince. Nubi won’t do it again.”

“Of course you won’t. Now begone.” Yifan curled his lip, waving a hand like he was swatting at mosquitoes. Minying and Xiuzhi nodded, scurrying off quicker than their feet could carry them.

“You can let go now, you know.” Zitao pointed out. Yifan still had his arm around Zitao’s waist, effectively trapping the palace maid.

Yifan looked down at what Zitao was pointing at, a smile starting to make its way onto his face. He tightened his grip on Zitao’s waist, spinning him around so that he could put his other arm around Zitao, both of them now on a full embrace. “Don’t think I want to.”

Zitao blushed sightly, nestling towards the warmth for a while before shaking his head, trying to come back to his senses. He pushed against Yifan, attempting to get the 8th-prince away.

“Last time I checked, palace maids don’t have the right to go against a prince, correct?” Yifan smoothly said. Zitao froze, then sighed realising that he was in fact right. And that he now had a more plausible excuse for not resisting.

“You know, you didn’t have to go that far. I’m sure a ‘Get lost’ would have been enough to get rid of them.” Zitao said. Yifan finally let go, staring at Zitao.

“I meant every word I said you know.” Yifan simply stated.

“8th-prince, I know you want to be friends with me---“

Yifan’s face twisted, a dark scowl forming on his face. “You… friends…” the last part was said so softly, Zitao barely caught it. Before he could ask the 8th-prince to clarify his meaning, Yifan had swept away, still wearing the upset expression.

“Wait! 8th-prince…!” Zitao stretched a hand at the empty air. He sighed, pulling at his hair. “He’s so confusing…”

“Who, 8th-prince?” Zitao turned his head around, before his body followed.

“Junmian-jiejie! What are you doing here?”

Junmian smiled. A dreamy smile that Zitao was all too familiar with. “4th-prince was over there.” Junmian gestured with a hand. “And he looked here and saw the end bit of you and 8th-prince’s interaction. So he got concerned and sent me over to check up on you. Isn’t he the sweetest?”

Zitao nodded absentmindedly, still pondering the meaning behind Yifan’s rash actions.

“My rolling skates worked then?” Xiumin this time walked up to the duo, holding a package in his hands.

“They worked awesomely. Thank you so much Xiumin!” Zitao said, twisting around to give yet another congratulatory hug to Xiumin. Well tried to at least, but the package that Xiumin was holding was pretty large, and though it was soft and squashable, it was in the way.

“What’s that?” Zitao gestured towards the package.

“Ah, I need to deliver the new clothes to the concubines. Wait… here’s Consort Jia’s. Can you deliver it for me?” Xiumin fished out a package, handing the pink clothing to Zitao. Zitao nodded, taking it carefully to not damage it.

“Um… who’s this?” Junmian smiled.

Zitao could have nearly slapped himself for forgetting to introduce them. “Junmian, this is Xiumin, he’s the royal tailor. Xiumin, this is Junmian, the palace maid attendant for the 4th-prince.” Zitao could have sworn that at the mention of ‘4th-prince’, Xiumin’s face twisted ever so slightly, but in the next second it was gone, leaving Zitao to wonder if he had actually made that expression.

“Well, nice to meet you Junmian. I must be getting to my rounds now, I’ll see you around Zitao.” Xiumin waved to Zitao and nodded to Junmian, then left.

“You should go back to 4th-prince before he gets worried.” Zitao winked, saying the last part in a sing-song voice. Junmian blushed, hitting Zitao lightly on the shoulder before leaving. And Zitao went on his way towards Consort Jia’s room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: This chapter is well... I guess it's pretty close to a filler chapter. The drama will start soon. And if you think it's already started, it has barely started kkkkkk. To those of you who want Taoris to happen, it ain't happening anytime soon my darlings. So you may pause in preparing le ships. They will come in the next arc, once stuff happens. This arc is almost finished, I'll tell you something, you won't be seeing anymore of Consort Jia (well not as an important character) in the next arc. Whew, temperental is gone XD

- Lulu