Chapter 1

Ghost’s Love

He took another look at his watch, he was running late for the date. He didn’t expect an hour speech from his boss. He kept checking his watch, hoping that it would slow down the time as he remembered Chanyeol’s time theory.

 

 

“Chanyeol, are you rushing to somewhere later?” Baekhyun couldn’t help to notice that his lover kept staring at the clock that hung above the television. It seemed as if he was meeting someone later and was worried he might be late for the meeting. Baekhyun sat upright.

 

“No, why did you ask that?” Chanyeol stretched his arms and legs a little as it was getting stiff from staying in the same position for too long.

 

“You kept looking at the clock.” Chanyeol broke out a wide smile and wrapped his arm around his tiny shoulder.

 

“Didn’t you know that you can slow down the time by looking at it?” He said it with a smirked. Baekhyun raised one of his eyebrows.

 

“Who told you that?” Chanyeol pointed at himself with his thumb.

 

“I found it out myself.” He said it with a great sense of achievement. Baekhyun laughed at the younger’s boy innocent theory but never expected that in future he would choose to believe his time theory.

 

 

Even though it sounded silly but Baekhyun chose to believe Chanyeol and whenever he wanted time to go slower, he would look at his watch. Although he had sent his lover a message that he would be late, he didn’t want him to wait for him for too long. After paying for the fare, he got out of the taxi and dashed across the road. Everything happened too quickly, a car was speeding towards him.

 

All that he heard after it was just the screeching sound.

 

He didn’t felt as painful as he thought he would. He stood up and checked his attire, he wasn’t hurt at all. No blood or scratches on his body, his sight didn’t go blur. He felt better than usual as if a lot of burdens were taken off from him. He escaped the whole accident without a scratch which was rather unbelievable. Baekhyun was surprised as it wasn’t possible to be unharmed. He looked around for an answer to find his answer lying on the ground covered in blood. It was his blood.

 

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol was standing at the road side, staring at him and not the body that was on the ground. He realized that Chanyeol could see him despite the fact he was just a soul. Chanyeol then turned his attention towards the figure on the floor. Chanyeol felt his throat went dry, words choke back in his mouth.

 

 

 

Chanyeol quietly sat outside the emergency room with Baekhyun’s mom. Baekhyun’s soul was nowhere at sight which brought a little hope for Chanyeol as Baekhyun’s soul might had flew back to his body.

 

Six hours has passed since Baekhyun was pushed into the operating room. A few doctor walked in. As the time past, Chanyeol was getting more and more worried. He bit gently on his dry lips and his heart was beating a little faster than usual. He was afraid that Baekhyun’s soul might have flown to heaven, leaving his wounded body on earth. The lights on top of the operation room turned off. Both of them stood up from the seats. The doctor in charge walked towards them. Chanyeol quickly helped Mrs Byun up.

 

“I am his mother. How is him, doctor?” The doctor pulled of his mask with a desolent look on his face.

 

“I’m sorry. We tried our best.” The doctor broke the news to them and left. Chanyeol took a few steps back. Baekhyun’s soul didn’t go back to his body, he went to heaven instead. His sight went blur, his limbs felt weak. He leaned on the wall for support. He turned his gaze towards Mrs Byun who was weeping on the ground.

 

 

 

It was raining outside Seoul hospital, like how it was raining in his heart. Chanyeol called a taxi for Mrs Byun and sent her off while he walked in the rain himself. The raindrops from the sky mixed with his tears and flow down his cheeks. He regretted going out on a date at a restaurant. If he didn’t insist on going to that restaurant, Baekhyun won’t have to die. He won’t have to lose him to heaven.

 

It’s all my fault…

 

How he wished that the rain will wash away the grief in his heart because it was getting too heavy for him to handle.

 

“Chanyeol.” A familiar voice yelled from behind but the heavy rain made the voice seemed as if it was just his hallucination. A hallucination that Chanyeol believed it will never happen. Chanyeol continued walking without turning back.

 

“Chanyeol!” The voice yelled out to him again and this time it was closer. Chanyeol then stopped in his track. He knows who the voice belongs to but it wasn’t possible that he would be able to hear it again. He turned around to look at the person who was calling him.

 

Was everything before all a nightmare?

 

Baekhyun was standing not far from him. Chanyeol rubbed his eyes again and made sure his eyes weren’t playing tricks on him. It was too good to be true.

 

Chanyeol.” This time round Baekhyun called his name softly. Because of the rain, he could only see his mouth moved but he knows Baekhyun was calling his name. His legs started moved and made him run towards Baekhyun. His arms opened out wanting to hug the shorter guy but he went past Baekhyun. He stared at his own trembling hands before he looked up to Baekhyun’s woeful stare.

 

 

 

The ghost explained everything to Chanyeol, how no one could see him, how he was ignored, how he couldn’t get near his body when it was it the hospital. Baekhyun really tried his best to get close to his dead body but he was pushed back by an invisible force field around his dead body.

 

That’s why he can’t get back to his body and returned back to earth as a human.

 

“Then why didn’t you go up to heaven?” Chanyeol remembered Kyungsoo said that once a person dies, he can choose either to fly up to heaven or try to return to their respective body and fight against death. Since Baekhyun couldn’t go back to his own body, he actually chose to fly up to heaven.

 

“I don’t know. I kept hearing your heart calling out for me.” His transparent hand moved in front of the taller boy’s heart. At that moment Baekhyun could hear his heart once again calling out his name.

 

Baekhyunie…

 

 

 

Chanyeol was standing in front of the mirror in his bathroom, re-adjusting his tie. Baekhyun was standing by the bathroom door looking at Chanyeol getting ready for his funeral. He finds the whole situation ironic.

 

“I’m actually looking at you as your prepare yourself for my funeral.” He scoffed at his thoughts.

 

“Baek…”

 

“I’m fine. Really,” He assured. Although he said it as if it was nothing, his heart begged to differ.

 

“…” Chanyeol stopped and turned to look at Baekhyun. He was leaning on the wall beside the bathroom door. Chanyeol couldn’t see his expression but knew deep down it won’t look good.

 

“Chanyeol-ah. Can you help me with something?” Baekhyun suddenly asked.

 

“Sure.”

 

”Can you take care of my mom for me today at my funeral? I’m worried that she might faint during the funeral. Stay close with her today, promise me okay?” Chanyeol nodded. Baekhyun actually wanted to be there for his mother at his funeral but he cannot get close to his body, neither can he attends his own funeral. Perhaps it’s the last thing that Baekhyun can do for his mother with help from Chanyeol.

 

“Alright.” Baekhyun gratified smile spread across his face.

 

 

 

During the whole funeral, Chanyeol stood beside Mrs Byun like what Baekhyun requested. He held Mrs Byun a couple of times when dizzy spell strikes her. Chanyeol would ask if she was alright and made sure she was okay before letting go of his hands.

 

When the whole funeral ended, Mrs Byun thanked Chanyeol once again but before she left she turned to look at Chanyeol.

 

“Chanyeol-ah. I want you to keep this.” Mrs Byun passed a ring to Chanyeol.

 

“To be honest, at first I can’t accept the relationship you have with him, but after knowing you I finally understand why. You are really a wonderful person, I’m glad Baekhyun chose you. I should have let you know it earlier but I didn’t have the chance to do so.” Chanyeol stared at the ring in his palm.  It was the couple ring he had with Baekhyun. Chanyeol’s name was engraved on the inner side of the ring.  

 

“Don’t be sad, Chanyeol-ah. Baekhyun wants you to be happy. Take care.” Mrs Byun waved goodbye before alighting the taxi. Chanyeol clenched the ring tightly in his palm.

 

 

 

Baekhyun began to feel that their distance was no longer just 206 days apart, it was a lifetime apart. Chanyeol was alive on Earth while he was dead on Earth.

 

He was glad for the fact that Chanyeol didn’t go into a deep trance of depression but he was super lethargic after the whole funeral. The moment he got home, went straight to his bed and plopped himself on the bed without even changing. Baekhyun followed him silently and sat down beside his bed.

 

Baekhyun really wants to help Chanyeol but he doesn’t know what to do. He couldn’t hug him and make him feel better. He couldn’t touch him no matter how hard he tries.  His finger could only trace against his hair but Chanyeol won’t feel his cold fingertips.

 

“Your mom gave me this.” Chanyeol opened his palm and showed the ring to Baekhyun. Baekhyun wanted to take the ring from him but pulled back his hands as he remembered he can’t touch anything so it’s useless to try.

 

“She finally accepted our relationship...” Chanyeol was right. Even if Mrs Byun accepted him, Baekhyun no longer exist in this world as a human. They can’t be together. Chanyeol shut his eyes and allowed his whole body sinks into the bed. In the past Baekhyun had thought what will he feel when he heard that his mom accepted them, they would be happy and blissful but right now it became nothing but regrets.

 

“Chanyeol-ah, tell me what should I do?” Baekhyun whispered. His fingers caress gently on his cheek. His touches were nothing but cold air.

 

“Just stay by my side and… Don’t go.” Chanyeol’s eyes were filled with tears when he opened his eyes to look at Baekhyun.

 

 

 

Baekhyun leaned on the couch lazily as he spent his time alone on the couch. Since he was a ghost, he doesn’t need sleep like how he did when he was a human. Time to him now became something torturing. He tried his best not to look at the clock so that the time would go faster.

 

“Aishi.” He sighed out in frustration as he looked at the clock once again, it was barely 4am in the morning. He couldn’t do anything because there’s nothing he can touch with his own hands. He can only let himself daydream or for once try sleeping like how he did when he was a human.

 

He looked at the newspaper on the coffee table. His hands naturally stretched out to take it and to his surprised he was holding a newspaper in his hands. He immediately jumped up and let go of the newspaper. He was still suffering from the shock of being able to hold items with his ghostly hands.

 

He stretched out his hands once again to feel the newspaper. He was actually touching it, he could feel it.

 

 

 

Once the clock strikes 7am, Baekhyun immediately jumped on their shared bed. Chanyeol was still feeling groggy despite he slept like 8pm last night. Baekhyun’s face immediately came in view which put a smile on Chanyeol’s face.

 

“Chanyeol, close your eyes” Baekhyun suddenly asked.

 

“Challenge accepted.” Chanyeol immediately lied down on the bed and continued sleeping.

 

“I’m not asking you to sleep.” Baekhyun pouted.

 

“Alright.” Chanyeol then sat upright and closed his eyes. He waited for Baekhyun’s next command. All of the sudden he felt something pulling his cheeks. Chanyeol immediately opened his eyes and looked at his hand. It was actually Baekhyun’s hand. He quickly slapped his hands away.

 

“It hurts.” He rubbed the area where Baekhyun pinched. The surface of his cheek felt cold. He stopped his action only to finally realize Baekhyun could touch him.

 

 “I can finally touch you.” Chanyeol couldn’t describe his happiness; he immediately hugged Baekhyun in his arms. Although physically he felt cold, his heart felt really warm. Warmer than before.

 

 

 

Straight after dinner, both of them made themselves comfortable on the couch in the living room. Chanyeol was leaning on Baekhyun’s shoulder but his mind was still thinking about the situation they are in right now.

 

“Baek… What if you don’t exist? What if this are all my imagination?” Baekhyun didn’t know what to say. What if it was like what Chanyeol said? He was just his imagination? But why does he have his own thoughts? He was starting to be confused what he was, a ghost or his imagination since no one other than Chanyeol could see him.

 

“How about we-” Baekhyun remembered that Kyungsoo told him once that he could see ghost. Perhaps finding Kyungsoo would be the best solution for now. If Kyungsoo can see him, it would mean he’s not just Chanyeol’s imagination. It meant he would be a ghost.

 

“Let’s not find out.” Chanyeol cut him off and looked at Baekhyun with those sorrows filled eyes.

 

“Why not? If not you will never get an answer.” Chanyeol cupped his cold cheek with one of his hands. Gently, lovingly caressing with his thumb.

 

“What if knowing the truth will let me lose you? I don’t want to lose you again, Baek.” His reasons were so simple that it broke his heart. Baekhyun’s eyes shifted to the ring on his fingers. Chanyeol gently tugged the skinnier boy in his arms.

 

“I really don’t want to.” He whispered so desperately into his ears.

 

“Yeol...” Baekhyun hold him in his arms but started to feel the weight on him getting heavier and heavier.

 

“Yeol?” Chanyeol began to snore softly, he had fallen asleep half way through their conversation.

 

“Chanyeol-ah, wake up. I can’t carry you all the way back to your room. I’m not that strong.” Baekhyun caressed his soft brown hair and sighed in defeat.

 

 

 

“Are you ready, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked. Both of them were equally nervous about the answer they were going to get from Kyungsoo.

 

“Yes. This is it.” Chanyeol opened the door to welcome Kyungsoo in to the house.

 

The moment Kyungsoo stepped into the house, Baekhyun ran towards him and started jumping up and down in front of him.

 

“Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun started waving his hands frantically in front of his dongsaeng but getting no respond from him.  Chanyeol sighed thinking that he’s the only one who can see Baekhyun. He was started to worry that it might be all his imagination. Baekhyun wasn’t back by his side.

 

“I don’t think he can see me.” Baekhyun said it disappointedly and dropped his soul on the empty space beside Chanyeol. It was then Kyungsoo’s eyes grew larger than usual.

 

“You can see Baekhyun?” Chanyeol was surprised at Kyungsoo’s reaction. Baekhyun was taken aback first but realized that maybe the reason why Kyungsoo ignored him was because Chanyeol was there. He was thinking for him, he didn’t want to bring back the fact that he was dead to him again.

 

“Thank god, he can see me. I’m not your imagination, Yeol.” Baekhyun gave a big bear hug to Kyungsoo, giving him cold shivers as he touched Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo pushed him away slightly, signaling to Baekhyun that he was uncomfortable with it.

 

“I’m sorry. I was too excited.” Baekhyun grinned. He wasn’t Chanyeol’s imagination. He was a wandering soul that really exists. Chanyeol sighed in relief after knowing it’s not just his imagination. His death was inevitable but at least he was still with him.

 

“Baekhyun, have you been staying by Chanyeol’s side all this while?” Baekhyun nodded, right from the moment he’s dead he has been around Chanyeol.

 

“No wonder…” Kyungsoo went into a deep trance.

 

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asked worriedly.

 

“Baekhyun, do you know why Chanyeol can see you? Why was he always tired? Why you can touch things?” Baekhyun shook his head.

 

“Not really. Is it because I become a permanent ghost and but why is he always tired?”

 

“No. It’s because of Chanyeol. The reason why he can see your soul is because at the moment when you died, your mind was filled with him and naturally when you die, you will be only visible to the person you want to see for the last time. The reason why you can touch things is because you are subconsciously away his life source. That’s why after the first day of your death you will be able to touch things. Having to fully staying with him for seven days will let you be able to touch things permanently.” Both of them stayed a moment of silence after receiving such information from Kyungsoo.

 

“Does that mean Chanyeol is in danger?” Baekhyun asked as he was worried that he might harm Chanyeol after hearing he was his life source away.

 

“No. The of life force will only happen during the first seven days of your death. The side effects are only tired and sudden increase in appetite.”  It’s only been five days since his death, Baekhyun could already see Chanyeol’s body getting weak.

 

“No wonder I have been sleeping like a pig and eating like a pig recently.” Chanyeol commented. Recently he was easily worn out and every day before 9pm he would have fallen asleep.

 

“I would suggest that you take a week break to restore back your health if not the side effect will become permanent.” Both of them nodded in at the same time.

 

“I’ll take up the responsibility.” Baekhyun said and intertwined his fingers with Chanyeol’s.

 

 

 

“Here is my specialty, Kimchi spaghetti.” Kyungsoo placed a plate of spaghetti in front of Chanyeol and was soon gobbled down into his stomach.

 

“Sorry for the trouble, Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun felt apologetic for making Kyungsoo coming over for the weekend to prepare meals for Chanyeol. Baekhyun originally wanted to wipe a few dishes for Chanyeol but to find himself in a situation where he doesn’t know how to cook a lot of stuff.

 

“It’s okay. I can also use this time to teach you how to cook a couple of dishes so that you can do it yourself during weekday when I’m at work.” Baekhyun nodded.  

 

“I want more.” The taller male showed the empty plate to Kyungsoo and he got him a second serving. After Chanyeol was full, he went to rest on the couch leaving the cleaning to Kyungsoo and Baekhyun.

 

“I can’t believe he ate a pot of spaghetti just for dinner.” He gaped in awe. Kyungsoo didn’t look surprised or shocked, his lips curled as he cleaned the plates.

 

“It’s normal.” He said it as if it was something normal that happened around him. Baekhyun didn’t press on for a story but started to things that were on his mind for a while.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, do you know why I can’t fly to heaven?” Kyungsoo nodded as he put the last cleaned plate back to its original position.

 

“It’s because of the burden on your soul.”

 

“Burden?” Baekhyun didn’t really get the meaning.

 

“Yes, the worries you still have on earth. You gave up your chance to go up to heaven once. Unless you can let go of the things you have in this world, you won’t be able to fly up to heaven.” Let go. It is easy to let go but it’s hard to do so.

 

“I see… So it means until I can let go of Chanyeol, I’ll never be able to go up to heaven?” Although the reason was pretty obvious, Baekhyun still chose to ask.

 

“You can say that.” It’s easy to say what he needed to do to go back to heaven but it’s hard to execute. They have been together for more than 8 years. 8 years of love and 5 years of friendship, it’s not that easy to let go of that 8 years of love knowing the fact that it’s not a one sided love.


Hope you enjoyed!