Chapter 1: You're hired

Will you stay with me forever?

Here we go, first chapter.
Thanks everyone to subscribe this story.

_______________________________________________________________

Beijing, certain day

 

"Kris, I am really really really thankful to you."
"This is the 27th time you say that to me. Luhan, are you trying to match the number with your age?"
"But I really appreciate..."
"Okay, now it's official. 28th time, your age. Happy?"
"Kris, come on..."
"Luhan, I simply agree to come. What if I am not hired?"
"Don't worry. There is no reason to not hire someone as excellent as you are."
"Maybe your boss only wants you. I mean you've been his personal secretary for like, 5 years?"
"It's 5 years, 7 months, 2 weeks, and 3 more days to mark the 3rd week."

Kris halts in his steps to give his best friend the most creepy look he ever gives out to anyone in his life.

"I'm not counting, okay? I just have an ability to...remember."
"You don't need to remind me about your brilliant mind."
"Your mind is no less. Now stop worrying."
"Please. I'm not worried about not being hired. I'm worried that if I'm not hired, your vacation plan would fall apart."

Luhan finally realizes his friend's concern. Despite how smart he is, most of the time he could never grasp Kris' deep intentions until Kris decides to throw them straight to his face. Luhan's cheeks turn pink and his always-look-like-teary eyes is filled with gratefulness. Kris chuckles at the scene, reaches out his hand to gently mess with the golden brown hair of his six-month-older friend.

"I know you and your mother miss Minseok and your father. But don't get too emotional. We still have things to do before you can get on the plane and fly to Korea."
"You're right. We still have to see my boss, and after that I will have to explain some general stuff before you can start working..."
"You're talking like I'm already hired."
"Oh honey, you will be hired."

Luhan turns the knob of the door that reads Executive Department and leads Kris inside. Everyone in the office halts whatever they are doing and pays their respect to Luhan's appearance. It is nothing to be surprised since he is the personal secretary and the capable right hand to one of the most powerful men in the company, not to mention he is a veteran in his job with exceptional skills and dignity that anyone would bound to admire.

Luhan returns eveyone's greeting in refined manner before taking Kris to a smaller room, his personal office, where he works daily with his boss.

"So he's not arrived yet. Make yourself comfortable."

Luhan assists Kris to a sofa then starts his normal morning routine: preparing his boss' favorite coffee, then makes some Earl Grey for Kris and himself in case his boss is running late. When Luhan just puts down two cups of brewed tea on the guest table, the door clicks open and a man in black suit walks inside. Luhan stand straight up and slightly lowers his head to him.

"Morning, Mr. Zhang."
"Luhan, it's been five years. Why don't you just call me Yixing when we're alone. You're older than me."
"It's not an appropriate way to address my boss by his given name. Besides, how I call you won't have effect on our friendship."

Yixing sighs, but since he understands that Luhan always has this professional attitude with him, he stops complaining.

"And I presume this is the temporary one you prepare for me."
"Yes, Mr. Zhang, this is..."
"Let me do the introduction. My full name is Wu Yifan, but I prefer going by Kris. Nice to meet you."

Yixing takes the hand that Kris is offering to him and gave it a firm handshake as he plasters on a business smile.

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Zhang Yixing."

"Luhan, would you please prepare the documents. I'm having urgent meeting with the Board of Directors in 25 minutes."

Luhan says nothing, gives Yixing a proper bow before swiftly disappears from the room. Yixing always has to attend urgent meetings so Luhan is used to time limit pressure. In fact, 25 minutes is a generous time period to him.

"Shall we sit?"

Yixing turns to Kris and motions him to take the chair in front of his desk whilst he takes his usual one behind it. Kris hesitantly sits down, couldn't hide the feeling being engulfed into the tense atmostphere around the other man. Kris is not someone who get nervous easily but there is just something about this man makes him squirm.

"You seem to be uncomfortable. Are you feeling nervous?"
"Ah yes, I am, and a bit surprised too. I mean this is my first time seeing Luhan at work so his secretary-mode face is rather new to me."
"I see. Try to relax. We're just going to talk casually."
"Oh, okay."
"So Kris, I would like to ask about your working experience. Have you ever been a secretary for a high position person or worked for a multinational firm?"
"Actually I've not ever work long term for any company before. I'm kinda a freelancer."

Yixing furrows his eyebrows. Kris can clearly see that he has doubt in the eyes.

"Can I take that as you've never been under time limit pressure before?"
"No, that's not true. I'd been under quite a lot of pressure in my previous job."
"What did you do for your previous job?"
"I was an assistant to Luhan's brother, Kim Minseok, at the time he was the secretary of this company's CEO, if my memory didn't fail me."
"Hm? Really? I'd been already working here when Minseok was still my father, I mean the CEO's secretary, why didn't I never see you around?"
"Most of the time I helped him was not in office hours, and I worked at his apartment. But you are the son of the CEO?"
"Yes I am, but let's not talk about this. So I guess you would have no problem with getting used to this job. I mean if you've learned directly from Minseok, one of the best secretaries this company had ever hired."
"I can promise I will try my best."
"I am not looking for people who will try, but can do. Being my secretary is one of the most stressful job you can probably experience."
"Yes, I'm aware of that."
"How many languages can you speak, Kris?"
"Three. English, Korean, and Chinese of course. I can speak both Mandarin and Cantonese, if you want to count."

This time one of Yixing's brow arches, and ridiculously Kris finds that amusing.

"You are quite impressive, Wu Yifan."
"Thank you, Yixing. But please call me Kris"
"And you will have to call me Mr. Zhang."
"But you told Luhan to..."
"Because Luhan can, it's not that you can. By the way, do you mind dyeing your hair back. I refuse to believe this is your natural hair color."
"What's the problem with my blond hair. Your hair is also not in natural color."
"At least dark brown color doesn't stand out too much. And stop talking that way to your boss."
"What? You're not my...wait! Does this mean you hire me?"
"Since I don't want to be an obstacle between Luhan and his family reunion. Besides, from our talk just now, I believe I won't go wrong with this decision. Yes, you are hired."

The moment they share another handshake to mark the verbal contract, Luhan makes his way to the room.

"I have it all done, Mr. Zhang. Minus the time that takes you to travel from here to the meeting room, you have 7 minutes to go over them before the meeting."

Kris glances at the pile of 5 big binders filled with wads of documents inside which Luhan is carrying using all the length of his arms. 7 minutes? Are you ing kidding me?

"Thank you Luhan." Yixing is already in the position of taking the documents off Luhan's hands.

"I'll have Mrs. Yang to assist me today. Stay here with Kris and make sure he knows everything."

Then he leaves right away. Luhan closes the door and nearly jumps onto Kris for being too happy if Kris doesn't stop him from doing so.

"Halt your celebration. It always makes my back hurt."
"Aww I knew it. I knew he would hire you."
"Yeah. You're happy, I'm kinda not. Luhan, he aksed me to dye my hair black. And you said he doesn't care about appearance."
"He does not. It's just your hair color is so...remarkable, and he doesn't like things that too stands out. He is clearly an outstanding person himself, but he likes to keep his profile low."
"What do you mean?"
"My boss is a pubic slash social awkward. He likes to stay in shadow, only the strategic shareholders and the Board of Directors know about his works. The fact that he is the one to pull the strings behind every movement of the company is not a common understanding."
"So in short, he would do everything then give credit to someone else?"
"He always has to have someone to be the public figure for him. He fired around 6 people in 3 years but the current one has been staying for 2 years."
"Oh, this public figure must be an excellent person himself."
"You could say that. He transfered here from our headquarters in Korea 3 years ago. Only after 1 year he gained this position."
"He sounds pretty amazing. What's his name?"
"Oh Sehun...But..."
"But what?"

Luhan places his hand to Kris' shoulder and pulls him close so he can mutter to his ear.

"He.is.mine"

It takes a good 10 minutes for Kris' laughter finally dies down, whilst Luhan pouts at him, being all sulky.

"Sorry I don't mean to...but the way you expressed it is too...."
"Shut up. It's not the first time I fall for a man."
"And it's also not the first time I tell you we don't have same ideal type."
"But Sehun is so dreamy, and I'm going away for 3 months. It's just too dangerous to leave him alone."
"I'll try to watch over him for you."
"Really?"
"If I can manage to do so. You know, taking on your daily truckload of work is no joke."
"Your promise alone is more than enough. I love you Kris."

Luhan offers a hug but Kris just shakes his head. Sometimes his slightly older best friend can get really intimate.

"Explain your work for me."
"Ah yes, of course."