I'm So Sorry

Monster Like Me

The alarm system here is the worst. Who electrocutes people first thing in the morning as a wakeup call? We were huddled under the cold water of the communal showers as the male guards ogled us without shame. Chae Rin helped me change my bandages while we were getting dressed.

A large, cold hand gripped the back of my neck forcefully, and another twisted my right arm behind my back. I was separated from the others and lead to a blindingly white room. I was strapped down to a freezing metal chair. They took more blood samples before putting me on this treadmill-like machine. It seemed like the more I ran, the faster it went and the longer they kept me there. I was denied food and water, yet I was still expected to perform whatever menial task they set before me. They strapped me back in the chair and ran some diagnostics on me. I was untied and shoved into an enclosed field on the opposite side of the facility. My headband was removed and I could tell I was being watched. It seems that all of the ‘monsters’ were watching me with bated breath, all anxious to see my true form.

I could feel it happening as I kept my eyes focused on the dirt ground. I grew to an enormous height as black and silver-blue fur engulfed my body. My bandages ripped off and fluttered to the ground as I stood on all fours. My two tails flicked about experimentally; it had been years since the last time I completely transformed. I let go of a breath I had no idea I was holding and expelled a little fire along with it. I could sense the presence of another creature nearby. My ears twitched to pick up sound better and I lifted my nose into the air to pick up a scent.

It was familiar, yet foreign enough to make my fur stand on edge. I took a defensive stance and braced myself for the worst. A huge, white furry beast appeared before me. I was at least two thirds his size and I was more streamlined than him. He was rugged and heavily muscled in the torso region. We circled each other for what seemed like ages before I noticed something very important; the beast had three tails. If he was a Kumiho and he had three tails, then that means….

*Daesung Oppa?*

My ears were pointed high and alert at my revelation.

*___________?*

He stepped towards me gingerly and sniffed the top of my head hesitantly.

*It is you! So, this is what you really look like?*

He sat down in front of me and tilted his head.

*Yep, I’m a snarling, ferocious fox-beast who wants to kill everything. That’s what the humans seem to think that is.*

I snarled playfully before lunging forward and biting his left ear lightly.

*Hah! Compared to me, you’re an adorably harmless kit. You do know why we’re in here, don’t you?*

*Actually, I don’t. I’m assuming that you do?* I thought before letting go and tackling him to the ground and latching back onto his ear.

*The humans want us to fight each other.* He replied and easily shrugged me off.

*That’s insane!*

*There’s a way to get out of this, but you’re going to have to trust me.* He walked towards me and nuzzled my neck until I did the same.

*Do I even have a choice?*

*Not if you wanna get out of here.*

*Then yeah, I trust you, Angel.*

*Play with me, Vixen*

*What?*

*You heard me; play. Pretend there’s nobody around and we’re just two fox friends doing what foxes do.*

*Okay…*

I reared back and tackled him again. He flipped us and pinned me with his front paws. I kicked him off and managed to send him flying backwards a few feet. We decided to put on a fire show for our ‘audience’. Daesung and I started leaping over and around each other spewing fire the entire time. It was obvious that he was better at maneuvering in this form than I was, and I was feeling a little self conscious about it.

It kept plaguing me and I couldn’t focus as well as I probably should have. I tripped over my own four paws and got caught up in Daesung’s fire spray. All the gekkering between us ceased. I became aware of a burning sensation on my left front leg and howled in pain. Daesung hurriedly moved over towards me and lay down beside me.  He placed his forehead against mine before giving me small all over my face and leg. My breathing became labored and I could feel myself reverting into human form.

A door opened as five large men walked in. Daesung got up and stood over me protectively. He was crouched low to the ground and began snarling at them. The men had fear in their eyes; that much was apparent. Three of them shot tranquilizers at his chest. He started swaying slightly. He turned to me as the other two secured the metal headband around my forehead once more.

*I’m sorry, ________. I’m so, so sorry.*

He passed out after that. Now that he was in human form again, they put his headband back on him and towed him out of there. I reached my hand out towards him in a vain attempt to keep him by my side. My arm fell limply to the ground in front of me as I slipped into unconsciousness.

Daesung,

I’m sorry………..