20

Don't Fall In Love With Me

“Did you tell?” Baekhyun cautiously asked me after English class.
 

“Tell who what?” I asked eyebrows scrunched together.
 

“The Cancer Awareness club came up to me and asked me to be their poster child. What the hell is that?”
 

Baekhyun doesn’t get angry very easily, but I could tell he was definitely more than perturbed at the moment. It was his first day back since his surgery and somehow his having of cancer slipped out to the whole school.
 

“I didn’t tell anyone. Was it your friends?” I ask, starting to walk towards my Econ class.
 

“They told me they haven’t spoken a word.” I was getting the feeling that Baekhyun was implying that this whole ordeal was my fault.
 

My brain churned and I suddenly realized that Seungyeon was the only other one that knew of his cancer. “I’ll find out, okay?” I say as I peck him quickly on the lips. “There’s nothing wrong with people knowing the truth, Baekhyun.”
 

“You know I don’t like people prying into my life.” Of course I knew. It was the reason why I was with him in the first place. I shrugged my shoulders and placed a longer kiss on his lips in attempt to rid the frown off of his face.
 

It worked.
 

And a group of girls behind us gasped. Everyone was slowly starting to realize that we were dating each other; either through gossip or through witnessing it themselves. I realized my ‘nobody’ label would soon be removed.
 

As I walked away from Baekhyun, I pulled my phone out and sent a text to Seungyeon.
 

‘Okay who’d you tell?’
 

She replied almost immediately.
 

‘I didn’t tell anyone, I swear! But I think I know who did it.’
 

‘Who would that be?’
 

‘Ahyoung.’
 

I arrived at my class and put my phone in my pocket. Ahyoung? How on earth would she know?  And why would she spread something like that? And who would she spread it too? The girl hardly had any friends.  I was pretty sure she didn’t have any friends at all actually.
 

The girl just so happened to be in my Econ class. I stared at her as I walked to my seat. She had her notes open and she was diligently reading away.
 

Maybe Seungyeon typed the wrong name or something, I thought.
 

Sitting in my seat, Chen immediately questions the rumor.
 

“So Baekhyun really had cancer?” 
 

I nodded, not really wanting to talk about it. It’s not like I could deny it and continue on with the car accident lie. By the time lunch time came around, which was right after our period, the entire school would know.
 

“Why didn’t you tell us anything?” Tao asked.
 

“It wasn’t my place to tell you anything,” I said, glancing at Ahyoung again. She had her pencil in her hand, but she wasn’t writing anything. She was just simply holding it there to make it seem as if she was doing something. Almost as if she was trying to hide the fact that she was doing something else; like listening in on someone else’s conversation…
 

So maybe Seungyeon did type the right name.
 

But why would Ahyoung feel the need to tell people about this? Things just weren’t really clicking into place like they usually did in my mind.
 

At lunch time, I found Seungyeon and asked her how she found out that Ahyoung was the one that started all of this.
 

“I heard people talking about Baekhyun and I asked them who told them. And I kind of just followed the chain of people until it reached Ahyoung. I was gonna ask her who told her, but I realized that no one would have told her because no one talks to her. And then I realized that she sits in front of us in homeroom, so it obviously had to be her.”
 

I nodded my head, impressed with her research. I glanced behind Seungyeon’s head and noticed Ahyoung sitting at her usually spot by herself. I followed her gaze and it landed on Baekhyun.
 

“I think I’m gonna go talk to her,” I said, returning my gaze back to Seungyeon.
 

“What? Why?”
 

“She obviously has a problem with Baekhyun and I’m going to find out.”
 

Seungyeon shook her head. “Good luck getting anything out of that girl. She gives me the creeps,” she said with a shudder.
 

As I walked over, Ahyoung’s gaze shifted to mine and she quickly looked down to her food. I sat down in front of her and she kept her stare on her lunch.
 

“Hi,” I said, with no clear tone in my voice.
 

It took a while for her to murmur a ‘Hi’ back, but at least something came out of the girl.
 

I propped an elbow on the table and rested my chin on my hand. “So, uh, I’m just gonna get straight to the point.” She slowly lifted her head and gave me her full attention. “You’re the one that started the whole cancer thing, right?” She stayed silent and I figured that was a yes. “I’m not mad at you or anything because it’s not like it’s a bad rumor or anything, but Baekhyun didn’t want this spread anywhere.”
 

“That’s the whole point,” she said, hostility dripping off her voice.
 

My eyebrows lifted in shock. I’ve only heard her speak during class when a teacher would ask her for an answer and her voice never sounded like that before. “Um, okay, so obviously you have a problem with my boyfriend… But I’m sure it’s something that can be resolved, right?” I said feeling uneasy. The shy girl seemed to turn vicious in a matter of seconds.
 

“Not really. I mean, my cousin is dead because of him,” she said, glaring at Baekhyun from across the room.
 

“I-I’m sorry, what?”
 

I knew the girl had a lot of bottled up feelings, but I never knew something like this would come out of her.
 

“Figure it out yourself,” she said, standing up, picking up her stuff, and walking away. She placed her head down as she walked away and turned back into the shy girl I thought she was.
 

I stood up, feeling confused about the whole situation, but I did have somewhat of a grasp on the whole thing.
 

I figured her cousin must have been Sohee, but I have no idea why she would be pinning her death on Baekhyun. Unless there was more Baekhyun hasn’t told me, and that idea wasn’t so farfetched at all considering his secretive habits. All I knew was that I wasn’t done with this Ahyoung girl at all.
 

I walked back to my usual lunch spot and the guys were in a deep conversation about Star Craft. I quietly ate my food and noticed people constantly walking up to Baekhyun, saying something to him while placing a hand on his shoulder as if they were consoling him. Baekhyun would fake a smile and they would walk away. He caught me watching him and he shook his head at me as if the whole thing was my fault.
 

I shrugged my shoulders at him. It really shouldn’t have been that big of a deal. It’s not like there was a rumor about him that he had a change or something. People just knew that he survived cancer. Sure, he would be receiving a bunch of ‘Congratulations’ and ‘Wow I can’t believe you did that’s from people, but they would eventually stop.
 

When lunch ended, I walked over to Baekhyun and he was more upset than he was earlier in the day.
 

“Oh, come on, it can’t be that bad,” I said, lacing my hand with his.
 

“It is that bad though. People act so fake. I can’t handle it.”
 

“They’re not being fake Baekhyun,” I said with a chuckle. “They’re just being nice. It’s the nice thing to do when someone survives cancer.”
 

“This all could’ve been avoided if somebody would have just kept their mouth shut,” he said raising an eyebrow at me.
 

“It wasn’t me!”
 

“I’ll believe it when I see some evidence.”
 

“Oh you’ll be seeing some evidence alright,” I said quietly to myself, thinking about the Ahyoung.
 

“What was that?”
 

“Nothing.”