Lunch and Friends

Worst Love

 

          "--and then he spilled it all on his pants."

          Our table burst into laughter and I felt this was the happiest I had been in a while. The mood was light as Kaemi continued to tell the story of how she first met Tao. Lee Kaemi was, for lack of a better term, my first love. For years, I was at her beck and call, completely infatuated with her sense of humor, intelligence, and beauty.

          She fairly recently started dating Huang ZiTao, an underclassmen Luhan had befriended while he was in the kungfu club last year. Despite being our hoobae, he was taller and more built than the both of us, not to say we're weak or anything; Luhan and I have more of a lean, flower boy physique as opposed to our all brawn-no-brain dongseang. 


         When those two first started dating, I had resented Tao and avoided Kaemi a lot. It wasn’t until I had realized my feelings for Luhan that I finally accepted their relationship.

           I turned my attention back to the conversation around me as the mood had suddenly turned serious.


          "So, where have you been all this time, hyung?" Tao inquired and Luhan turned to look at me expectantly. When I only gave a shrug in response Tao continued, "You haven't been at the table in two weeks. I was beginning to think you were in a ditch somewhere."

           Luhan laughed and covered for me, "Senior stuff. A kid like you wouldn't understand." ZiTao puffed out his cheeks, "Hmph!" in attempt to seem cute; it came off as childish to me.     

               
           Maybe I wasn't quite over my resentment for him, but when Kaemi reached over to pinch his reddening cheeks and fawn over this gesture, I smiled a little. They were cute together. As this was a nuna-dongseang relationship, Kaemi had always spoiled Tao and protected him from our constant teasing; in retrospect, I guess I should have seen this relationship coming. 


          "So, when are you two going start dating?"

 I spat out the coke I had been sipping.

           "What?!" I asked a little too loudly. I finally get to sit back and enjoy some time with my friends, and this brat, now wiping his face of my spit and coke, had to ask something like that. Tao glared at me, "What? I just wanted to know when you were gonna get a girlfriend, hyung and you blow pop in my face! Aish..." 

          He proceeded to mumble something under his breath and Kaemi slapped him on the arm,   


         "Don't talk to your hyung that way! But yeah, Hunnie... I was curious too. Omo! Are you dating someone?! Is that where you've been sneaking off to everyday? Lu, our Sehun is all grown up~"

          I started to deny her accusations but I was interrupted by Luhan, "Don't be ridiculous, how could he have a girlfriend and not let me, his. Best. Friend. Know? Right, Hunnie?" He nudged me with his elbow, encouraging me to speak up and stop Kaemi from getting too excited. I made a mental note: when Kaemi says “Hunnie,” it’s just a nickname; when Luhan says “Hunnie,” it’s a turn-on. Guh, not now…

I guess I took too long to answer his question because Kaemi all but squealed when I opened my mouth, causing Tao to cover his ears in pain, and Luhan seized me by the shoulders shook me violently. 


          "How could you get a girlfriend and not tell me?! Who is it?! Out with it already! Who? WHO?"

           I finally got control of my mouth—it had gone slack from the sudden physical contact and was flapping open and shut while Luhan shook me. 

          "I don't have a girlfriend!"

           "....Are you sure?" They all questioned in unison,
           "I think I would know if I was dating someone or not, guys." I deadpanned and then the table was silent for a second, Kaemi's ringing cellphone broke the silence,
           "Yeobeoseyo? ...False alarm Goomi. He's still single...I don't owe you anything. We never shook on it...Verbal agreement my foot. You always get stuff in writing, Goo....Keke Annyeong~" She looked up at me, my face was a little skeptical, 

        "...did you bet that I had a girlfriend?"

 She was quiet and looked down, "You did, didn't you?"


         "These two are in on it too!" Tao and Luhan gawked at her.  "Yah! Why'd you tell him that!?"

          "I'll be damned if I go down alone."

          "Nuna...hyung's face is turning red..."

          "Yikes, I haven't seen that face in a while..."

          "You'll protect your dongseang, right?"

          "You'll protect your girlfriend, right?"

          "....."


          "....." They both stopped whispering to each other, glanced at me, and quickly got up from the table running away. Once they thought they were at a safe distance they called back their farewells. And then there was one...


            Luhan wasn't intimidated by my unamused face, he had been the subject of its glare many times. Instead he chuckled, "I knew you didn't have a girlfriend all along~"

          "So you bet against me?"

          "Of course! You haven't mentioned a girl since Kaemi hooked up with Tao. So, naturally you couldn't be dating someone."

            "Just because I hadn't said anything?"

            He nodded enthusiastically, I couldn't help but think it was cute, "You know, I don't need your permission to date."

          "Well, yeah I know. But I knew you wouldn't do something so big behind my back."

          "What makes you think so?"

          "Because we're friends." He smiled cheekily, seeming to be satisfied in his own answer. The bell rang, drowning out whatever he said next, "Better get to chemistry~ See ya!" He practically skipped out of the cafeteria, Since when does he like chemistry so much?

          The rest of the students filed out of the cafeteria, I was too caught up in my own thoughts for the toll of the second bell to mean anything to me. Friends...

          "Yah!"

           I snapped my attention to the prefect leaning against the wall next to me, "You're late."

           I expected him to give me a detention for straggling, but he just nodded in the direction of the door, "Get to class."

           I didn't think twice about his generosity, I bowed and left without a word in the direction of my next class. I could feel him looking at me even after the door had closed behind me; uncomfortable, I picked up my pace and ran to my next class.

 

---

Annyeong~

Ayyy girl~ Can I buy you a drink?? [EXO Version] Ayyy Gull~ Can I buy you bubble tea?? Ignore thisss

How is it so far? 
Oh, Kaemi? She's made up. I was like...Just EXO in this fic. There may be cameos later on though~ Keep an eye out.
Tao? Straight? Pfft, this is all fictional, I promise. Save the Hunhan. That is real. Mmhm.
I'm feeling like writing actually. I need a break from the I've been writing lately.
It's hard work being a ert, ya know.

I want to write in Sehun's POV well. Like, I don't want the narration to sound as if a girl is writing it, ya know? I'm working on my ability to create different voices in writing. I'd like feedback on that if you don't mind. Does Sehun sound like a guy? Even a little? Soljikhi malhaebwa, eo??

I'll see you guise later hopefully! 
Feel free to comment and subscribe for more Sehun struggle.

Baibai~