The Princess Locked In a Tower

Infinite Kingdom

The Princess Locked In a Tower

When Sungjong woke up he felt like he was lying on clouds. And as he opened his eyes he could see a white canvas draping over his head, attached to a finely carved headboard. This was definitely not his bed.

A bush of dark hair and a pair of tanned hands were leaning against the bed on his left side. As Sungjong wiggled from under the fluffy blanked the head bounced up, revealing Dongwoo’s face. He looked ghastly, like he hadn’t slept for days. Still he managed to produce a brilliant grin as Sungjong sat up.

“Where am I” Sungjong asked. His throat felt dry. “At the east tower” Dongwoo answered and moved closer. He examined Sungjong’s eyes and felt his pulse, making the boy even more baffled. “After you collapsed the king went… Well, slightly mental. He locked you up here” Dongwoo continued, carrying on with his body check. “Wait, slow down a bit. How long was I out?!” Sungjong asked. His head felt like a bag of feathers. “You were practically comatose for almost two days” Dongwoo told, patting Sungjong’s shoulder and sitting on the side of the bed. Sungjong suddenly felt his stomach growl. It felt more like two weeks.

“So the king… Locked me up? Here of all places?” Sungjong processed the information. Looking around, he could easily think of worse places to be imprisoned in. The room he was in was round and big enough to fit his entire apartment. Sunlight flowed in through the unusually big windows, and beautiful pieces of furniture had been placed near the stone walls. Even the nightgown he was wearing was made of silk. “Yes. And he won’t listen to any reasoning” Dongwoo pouted.

“It’s a good thing he locked you here. I should have thought of it myself. At least this way you won’t be out there doing anything that reckless again.” Hoya said from the other side of the room. He was just climbing up the stairs.

“That’s a nice way to thank me for keeping your organs intact”, Sungjong said. Hoya shrugged; “I didn’t ask to be saved”. Dongwoo sent a cautionary look towards the general, making him continue less confidentially; “But thank you. How are you feeling?” “Hungry” Sungjong answered simply.

“Hoya, go and tell the servants that the princess is up, they’ll prepare something” Dongwoo said. The general looked back suspiciously as he exited the room. And, surely enough, Dongwoo leaned in the moment the other man closed the door.

“Look. Sungyeol said that he did some research, and he may have an idea of why you collapse when you use your powers. He said he could fix it” Dongwoo whispered in a low, urgent tone. Sungjong’s eyes lit up. “Can you arrange a meeting?” he whispered back. Dongwoo looked cautious; “If you can promise you won’t do anything… impetuous”. Sungjong smiled sweetly; “When have I ever?”

* * *

Dongwoo and Hoya were walking away from the east tower. A weight had dropped from both of their shoulders now that Sungjong had finally woken up. “When I told you to fight for your love I didn’t expect you to take it literally” Dongwoo said suddenly; it was finally appropriate to make fun of the general. “I suppose so” Hoya smiled weakly. “I wasn’t even being half serious” Dongwoo continued. Hoya gave him a look; “Ever heard of the expression; rubbing salt in the wound?”

Apparently unable to hold his tongue, Dongwoo continued after a moment of silence; “I mean, how could you be so stupid? Did you honestly believe for a moment that killing his friend would have him falling head over heels for you” he laughed heartily. “Yah!” was pretty much the wittiest remark that Hoya could come up with, so he resorted to hitting Dongwoo’s shoulder.

* * *

Sungjong had thought living isolated in a tower would mean he’d get bored a lot, but he hardly had time to admire the scenery. When Dongwoo and Hoya left to attend other duties, servants kept coming in to feed him, wash him and, this puzzled Sungjong to no end, take his measurements.

Myungsoo appeared in the afternoon with a flushed face and a messy hair. “He can’t do this. I can take you away.” he said feverishly; “I’ll send a message to my mother; she can make him let you go”.

Sungjong looked apprehensive; “Are you planning a war? You’re not thinking straight again.” Myungsoo stepped closer and frowned, looking annoyed; “Don’t you want to come with me?”

Sungjong in a breath; “And what would I become? Your concubine?” he said. Myungsoo looked like he’d just been slapped, and Sungjong regretted his words immediately. But he needed to get this out in the open. “And what about your mother and her marriage plans? No, she will not help me out of here. I’m too much of a hazard”.

And then it happened. The beautiful, emotionless prince started to weep, tears glistening on his cheeks. He looked so utterly helpless that Sungjong couldn’t help but rush over to hold him. “Don’t you want to be with me?” Myungsoo whispered in Sungjong’s ear with a stuffed voice. “I fought for you once. I will do it again” the prince’s lips brushed against Sungjong’s earlobe, making something warm puddle inside him. Sungjong just tightened his grip around the man and hid his blushing face against his chest, wishing for a moment that he could just stay there, be held by these hands, beautiful words whispered in his ear for eternity…

* * *

Sunggyu had felt like he’d been stabbed right through the chest when he’d heard that Sungjong had collapsed.

Even though Sunggyu’s heart was supposedly fine now, he couldn’t shake of the feeling that everything was not alright. It was always looming over his shoulder, whispering in his ear.

And his only cure was going around, spending his powers on others. There was no way Sunggyu could allow it to go on. The king’s life should be worth at least this much, shouldn’t it? After promising to give his whole life to the people, shouldn’t he be allowed this little selfishness? Now that he had someone by his side that he didn’t bear to leave…

So Sunggyu had given an order; Sungjong was to be transported from the infirmary to the castle grounds and kept there at all times. He had given the boy one of the most beautiful rooms in the castle, his grandmother’s quarters, but it had a locked door and guards outside; a beautiful prison.

* * *

The next day at meal time an important looking servant stepped inside Sungjong’s chamber; a bony old man with a remarkable posture. “The king wants to know if you wish to dine with him?” the servant asked Sungjong, bowing deeper than anyone had ever bowed him. It just made Sungjong feel uncomfortable. “It’s not like I have a choice, do I?” Sungjong kvetched, making the man raise his head. “I guess not”, he stated wryly.

Two more servants arrived, carrying pieces of clothing. When they made Sungjong wear the attire, it fit perfectly. So this was what the measurements were for, Sungjong thought as he looked at his image from a mirror. Dressed in grayish turquoise and green from head to toe, his reflection looked foreign.

Sungjong followed the pitchfork of a man away from the tower and along the corridors, feeling strangely conspicuous in his new attire. He couldn’t get used to the feeling of servants bowing their heads at the sight of him.

Last time Sungjong had met the king he had been scared stiff, but now the annoyance of being locked up was burning through his veins. He felt more like punching the king than bowing in front of him.

“Are you feeling fine now?” Sunggyu asked when the boy arrived. Sungjong nodded, afraid to open his mouth; who knows what might come out. “Good, good. Sit down” the king said, gesturing vaguely towards the posh chairs around the table. Woohyun was present, sitting on the other side of the king. He smiled apologetically when Sungjong caught his stare.

“See, life in the palace isn’t all bad” Sunggyu chatted as he gnawed on a drumstick of a chicken; “People would kill to be in your position.” “I think your speech is going to the walls.” Woohyun commented. He was right; Sungjong wasn’t touching the dinner in front of him, his eyes were fixated on the surface of the table instead. He raised his gaze at Woohyun’s words.

“Can I ask you something?” Sungjong murmured. Sunggyu’s eyes narrowed to slits; “Go ahead”. “What about the other people I could heal. Your citizens. Is it not unfair to steal them their cure?” Sungjong asked.

Woohyun bursted out laughing. He was amazed. There was just no way a person as selfless as that existed.

Sunggyu looked baffled at Woohyun's reaction. “They will live and die just as they have until now. One man can’t save everyone. And I am the king.” he answered vaguely.

“Is your life worth more merely because you carry a throne on your head?” Sungjong asked. There he was again, tongue moving before his common sense could step in. Did he want to stay imprisoned for the rest of his life?

“What, of course not” Sunggyu raised his voice, sounding almost panicked. Surprisingly enough Woohyun stepped in; “It is not only the burden of the throne that befalls on the king’s shoulders, it is also the well-being of his people. Without a king this country would fall, and misery would spread among the people like a pestilence.” Sunggyu nodded at Woohyun gratefully. “Though I still think it's ludicrous to lock you up” Woohyun continued, making Sunggyu’s face drop and Sungjong smile amusedly. The level of tension in the room subsided considerably.