The Old Library Book

I Found Your Cat

 

Birds were chirping to their own tune as they basked under the morning sun. The mild scent of rain hung in the air. The morning smelled of the combination of wet pavement, soil and grass. The cold air from midnight was trapped inside Bom's room. She stirred in her deep slumber and wrapped herself in the comfort of her blanket. The silence was sharply broken by the sudden shrill of her alarm clock. Her sleepy eyes shot open automatically.

 

"Dragon?" Bom called out as she rubbed her eyes. No reply. She looked on her bed and around the room. Bom wondered if last night was just a dream. She carefully touched her soft cheek where she felt the cold numbness from last night. "He's not a dream," she thought. Bom slowly stretched her arms backward and got out of her bed. She looked for her slippers and saw a ball of white fluff on the floor. "Omo, did I kick him off the bed last night?" Bom wondered as she watched the soft rise and fall of the sleeping cat's chest. Bom decided not to wake Dragon up and got ready for school.

Downstairs, the nutty aroma of coffee greeted Bom. She saw her mother slowly eating breakfast by herself. Despite the early morning, Bom's mother still looked elegant and graceful with her hair up in a coiffure, perfectly manicured French tips and made up face. It was clear where Bom got her looks and poise.

"Umma..." Bom greeted as she stepped into the kitchen. "Good morning."

"Good morning, Bom." her mother said as she quickly hid the somber expression she had a while ago.

"Where's appa?" she asked and took a hot toast from the table. Bom took a small bite from it. The heavenly smell of coffee, toast and orange juice lingered in the kitchen. It looked like the perfect setting of a wonderful family, except the father figure was missing. Her mother sighed as she straightened her blouse.

"He already left earlier this morning." her mother replied with a sip of coffee. It was then followed by silence.

"Oh..." Bom said and faked a smile. "I'll just wait for him later then."

The birds chirped outside. Her mother slowly glanced at the unsuspecting clock that continued to tick on the kitchen wall. "Aren't you going to be late for school, Bom?" she asked in her monotonous voice that Bom has been accustomed to ever since.

"Ne." Bom answered with a smile. She picked up her bag and bowed. With that, she left the awkward scene that belonged to what was once thought as the perfect family.

~~

The sharp sound of the school bell signaled the end of classes for the day. Students at Cheonan Girls' High School excitedly gathered near Room 224 -- Park Bom's classroom. Bom exited the classroom with a smile to her classmates and the students outside. Her heels clacked as she flashed her 1000-watt smile. She heard her name in every corner of the hallway.

"Bom-ah, do you want to go karaoke today?" her classmate, Mina, asked as she tapped Bom's shoulder.

"Oh, mianhe..." Bom answered with an apologetical smile. "My mother asked me to do some errands for her."

"Arasseo, arasseo~" Mina replied and turned her back to go to her own friends. "Snobby princess." She muttered under her breath. Bom watched as Mina and her friends disappeared from her sight.

"Aishh, you're just inviting me so boys would come and approach you...it sickens me." Bom bitterly thought as she started her leisurely stroll down the staircase. Her thoughts were interrupted by the high pitched greetings from the other students.

"Unni, take care on your way home~!"

"Unni, see you on Monday."

"Unni, I've got another present for you!" the short girl from yesterday walked towards Bom with a smile and held another box of cookies in her arms.

"Oh, you did this in class again?" Bom asked and accepted the box of cookies.

"A-ani-yo... I baked it at h-home just f-for you, unni." the flustered girl replied and blushed a deep shade of red.

"Gomawo for making this for me." she said with a smile. She could feel all eyes on her and the girl. She flashed another smile and turned to leave. "Dragon would surely like these cookies." Bom thought as she clutched the box of cookies tighter. Her soft eyes widened as a realization hit her. "Omo, why am I thinking about that cat anyway?"

Bom slowly walked towards the other direction of her home. "I don't feel like going home yet." she thought and headed towards the public library while taking her time. "There's just some things I want to know..." Bom carefully avoided the muddy puddles on the pavement. All she heard was the crunching sound from the dried leaves she stepped on. The afternoon air turned cold -- a sign of the upcoming winter. Bom hummed in her head as she turned at the corner.

"Is someone following me?" She looked behind her but there was no one but the gust of autumn wind. Bom hesitantly continued her walk. She saw the almost run-down three- storey library a few meters away. The white exterior paint has turned yellow in time. Despite the library's dreary appearance, it boasts large volumes of books in almost every topic. It also has computer terminals with high-speed internet, and the best of all it offers the peace and quiet that Bom looked for. While her classmates go to karaoke or go shopping after school, she is quietly tucked in one corner of the library, reading books and magazines that interest her.

Meow~!

Bom heard a meowing from behind her. "Dragon?" she called out as she looked behind. It wasn't Dragon but an orange tabby whose nose hungrily twitched and sniffed the box of cookies in Bom's hands. She held the box possessively and tried to shoo the tabby cat away to no avail.

"These cookies belong to someone else!" Bom said and walked away. The stray cat took the hint and pranced to the opposite direction.

Upon entering the library, Bom located the shelves for paranormal books. Third floor. She has never stepped foot on the third floor ever since started coming to this library. Bom thought the books in the third floor were boring, archaic and doesn't interest her. She slowly went up the deserted stairs. Her heels clacked rhythmically against the wooden flooring. It was the only sound she heard before the footsteps behind her reached her ears. Bom looked behind but saw no one. "Aigo, what's with this creepy atmosphere?" she thought as she reached the topmost level of the library.

The third floor was dark despite the large windows where the setting afternoon sun peeped. Bom gave her wristwatch a quick glance. 5:17. The days went shorter as winter was fast approaching. Bom's heels echoed in the emptiness of the third floor.

"It looks like no one's here but me." Bom thought. A shiver ran down all over her spine. "Aigo, I should finish with this early." She read the titles of the books that lined the first self she saw. The books were of different sizes and thickness. There were a few that looked new but most of the books were dusty and frayed at the edges. Bom wrinkled her nose in disgust. The dust were making her nose itchy. Bom felt the sudden need to --

ACHOOO!

THUD!

An old leather bound book fell open from the shelf. The pages were thin, yellowing and delicate. Bom slowly approached the fallen book. It looked like its pages would crumble from a single touch. The book's musty smell reached her nose. Bom picked it up and checked the spine. ASTRAL SPIRITS IN TRAVEL it read in faded gold lettering.

"Oh, what's this?" Bom wondered in curiousity. As if in trance from all the dust, Bom walked over to one of the desks with the book in hand.

~~

hiyyaaaa, yay I finally updated! Too much mystery going on eh? enjoy the update and please do comment and subscribe if you liked it. Kamsahamnida!