Choice

I Found Your Cat

By the Han River, the moon and stars hovered above the night sky. Their own lights were reflected on the still and calm river. And from a distance, at the end of the horizon, it seemed like the river and nightsky, both littered with stars, were one. 

But Bom, who sat near the riverbank with the cat and Dragon beside her, couldn't see all that. What she saw was a blur of everything. Her vision blocked by the forming tears she tried hard to fought back. She would wipe her tears away with the back of her hand, but it was just a matter of time when the tears would creep back again.

Dragon was beside her and comforted her with his words. It was the only think he could offer to her. He wanted to hug her, to hold her in his arms, to touch her. But he couldn't. All he has left was his voice. But that too was slowly fading away.

"Bom... I'm right here... and..." 

Speeding cars whizzed behind them from the main road.

"I won't ever... please... so..."

A truck honked from a distance.

"...by your...because...love you..."

Dragon's voice continued to trail off. He was slowly disappearing and appearing in short intervals. Bom shook her crumpled head as if to tell Dragon to stop talking unless he disappears completely.

"Stop it, Dragon. I'll be okay," Bom said in between hiccups. She tried to manage a smile but it came out as fake and dry. She was going back to her "perfect girl" act, her way of coping with her surroundings and her way of telling to everyone that she was okay. But Dragon knew better. He could see past her act and he could see right through Bom's heart.

"Bom..." Dragon slowly stood up and looked at the other side of the Han River. The city skyline was busy with flickering lights from tall skyscrapers that competed with the faint lights from the stars. "I don't think I'm going to last long..."

"No, don't say that!" Bom cried out. She wiped her tears once more and looked straight at Dragon's deep blue eyes. Dragon saw the renewed determination and courage from her eyes. "I'll save you, okay? Just hold on."

Bom also got up and brushed off the loose grass that clung to her pants. She took one last look at the calm river with soft ripples from an evening breeze. Bom also bent down and picked the cat up which she cradled in her arms.

"We're here in Seoul, right?" Bom said and started to walk back up to the main road. "If we go back near the motorcycle shop, we'll probably get more clues about what happened to you, right?"

Dragon gave her a smile as an encouragement. He followed her closely as they traversed through the city of Seoul. Bom carefully glanced at the skyline with busy lights, and wondered what would happen to her future. She ran away from home without any plan at all. And certainly with no money in hand. When can I go back home? she bitterly thought as they passed by food stalls near Yonsei. And if I go back home, will appa and umma be waiting for me?

Her stomach suddenly let out a low grumble and it was only then when Bom realized how hungry she was. She hasn't eaten dinner yet and the savory aroma from the dukbokki and eomuk stalls increased her appetite. She took out her coin purse from her bag and counted her remaining money, which was only enough for their return fare back to Cheonan.

Bom let out a dejected sigh and threw her coin purse back to her backpack. It was also then when she felt her mobile phone ringing and vibrating inside her pocket. Umma is calling, she thought as she looked back to the glowing screen. Hesitantly, she swiped the screen with her finger and answered the call.

"Umma," Bom was the first to spoke. She pursed her lips and anticipated the barrages of sermon from her mother. But it didn't come. Instead, Bom heard her mother's crying voice.

"Bom, your father...your father..."

Dragon watched Bom who had a tight grip on her phone. Her lips trembled. He gave her a concerned look and wondered what her mother had told her. Is she in trouble? he asked himself. Dragon noticed his hands were slowly fading away again. He sensed that it was only a matter of time before he disappeared completely. His situation was urgent but there was something with Bom's behavior that signalled that her mother's news was more urgent and important.

"Bommie, what happened?" Dragon asked her when she finally set the phone down. Her hand went to cover which was wide open.

"Appa..." Bom took a deep breath before she continued. "Appa...he just had a heart attack. They took him to the emergency room." A small tear trickled down her cheek.

Dragon gave a faint smile. His hands were almost nonexistent, his white hair was too transparent. His identity lies here in Seoul, while Bom was needed back in Cheonan. This was the last forkroad and the decision was on Bom herself. But Dragon didn't want to let her face such a tough time in choosing. He was too weak to speak, so he let his eyes do the talking for him. He gave a smile as if to tell her: "Go to your appa. He needs you more."

"I'm sorry..." Bom apologized. She knew too well what his eyes were saying. But she wouldn't just leave the cat and Dragon here alone in the big city. 

"Don't be sorry, Bommie," Dragon faintly answered her.

~~

Instead of taking the Seoul Subway Line 1 like she always did, Bom found herself in the Korean Train Express (KTX) which would lessen her travel time back to Cheonan from two and a half hours to just an hour. The ticket was more expensive and pets were not allowed on board. But she would never leave the cat on its own. She stashed the cat inside her backbag and softly reassured him that they'll be back home in an instant. Her money was just enough to buy one ticket and a small snack.

Throughout the ride, her heart raced. She was worried about her father who was taken to Dankook University Hospital's emergency room. She felt a sharp pang of guilt. I did this to appa, she thought as another tear escaped her eyes.

Usually Dragon would be by her side and would be comforting her. He would say, "No, Bom, it's not your fault." But this time, the seat beside her was empty. Dragon was nowhere in sight. 

"Please be alright, appa," Bom silently prayed in her seat. "Please be alright, Dragon."

The train rattled as it travelled in lightning speed. It was almost ten in the evening, and the carriage was empty except for Bom and an old woman somewhere near the front. The air was silent except for the occasional rattling. Bom looked outside the window. The scene outside- the nightsky, the trees, the field, everything was a blur from the speed of the train plus the tears that continued to filter Bom's vision as the train headed south.

~~

Hi guysss! Remember Sehun's backstory back in chapter 16?? I made a fanfic about it, so it is basically a prequel to I Found Your Cat. I just uploaded the prologue, but I will continue to update it only after I finish I Found Your Cat (which is soon :((( like 5 chapters to go?) Anyway, please check out and support Take Flight as well. n.n