Our Promise

I Found Your Cat

Stars illuminated the night sky with a little help from the faint yellow lights from each gondola of the Cheonan Ferris Wheel.  Located at the center of city, the Cheonan Ferris Wheel is the tallest structure in Cheonan standing at around 300 feet. At the very peak, passangers can get a view of the West Sea.  One full rotation lasts around half an hour or so. 

Because of the cold weather, there weren't a lot of people tonight. Still, the gondolas were slowly moving at a steady pace. Inside one of the gondolas that was slowly moving up, Bom sat with an empty look in her eyes. Beside her, the cat yawned and shifted his position.

"Bom..." Dragon said. His astral form sat across her and intently stared at Bom who looked out the window.

The view was breathtaking. Different buildings and rows of houses lit up the streets of Cheonan and formed a variety of shapes and lines. But all Bom saw was a blur. Tears were blocking her vision and she had no strength to wipe it away.

"Have you been here before?" she finally said after a long moment of deafening silence between the two. "You said this place will cheer me up."

Dragon nodded and he slowly stood up. He looked out the window. "I feel like I've been here before."

"Is that all you remember?"

"Yeah."

Bom wiped her tears away and looked at Dragon. His memories are coming back, she thought to herself. She watched Dragon as he slowly placed his hands at the glass window. His brow furrowed as he sighed. 

"I remember being here by myself." He said as he took his seat again across Bom. "I remember feeling alone, but as I looked below, I felt that there's too many people here for me to feel alone in this world." 

Bom looked out the window. From above, she saw a group of students going out of their way from a tutoring center, a middle aged couple walking hand in hand towards the night market, an ahjumma selling deokbokki beside the ferris wheel, and a few blocks away was Cheonan Girls' High School. Each of the sights was interconnected in some way. Bom silently traced the streets below with her finger.

"But being up here," Bom said as she looked again at Dragon's blue eyes. "Isn't it more isolating? Doesn't it make you feel that you're so far away from them?"

"I guess I felt that way too," he answered after he thought about it. Dragon moved beside Bom. "But right now, at this moment, I'm with you. It's not lonely, right?"

Bom blushed as Dragon spoke with such gentle voice. She held both hands up her cheeks to hide the fact that she's blushing. Dragon noticed Bom's behavior and smiled to himself.

"Are you feeling cold?" he asked.

Bom shook her head and pushed back an invisible strand of her hair behind her ear. "Aniyo," Bom's voice shook as her heart starts pounding. She felt a sharp, icy mist as Dragon got closer to her. A lump formed on and she gulped slowly. Up close, she got lost on Dragon's pool of blue eyes. Their faces were mere inches apart, and if ever Dragon was breathing, they would be breathing the same air. All of a sudden, the gondola felt too small and cramped for the two of them. Bom could hear her own heart pounding.

Is this a kiss? Bom thought to herself. Do I close my eyes? Eottoke eottoke...

A sudden icy sensation went to Bom's hand. Dragon's hand was on top of hers. "Bom," he called out to her again.

"Mmm?" she barely answered.

"Let's promise each other," he whispered softly in her right ear. "that we won't be lonely anymore. Because we've got each other now."

Bom smiled at him and nodded. Dragon held his hand up and extended his pinky. Although she couldn't feel his finger, Bom intertwined her pink with his. "I promise," Bom replied and she pressed her thumb to his. It was cold but she didn't mind as she still felt the warmth from her cheeks.

"Na do," Dragon said. 

Their hands stayed that way until the end of the ride. And throughout, they were looking at each other's eyes. In between them, the cat slept soundly. And outside, the lights lined up the street to form innumerable shapes that connect every one from the street across, to the whole Cheonan, until Seoul and up to the star-scattered sky above.