UNAVOIDABLE

SECRET LOVE

Nori's point of view:

"-I like Fei." Luhan finally confesses.

     What? What did he just say? I don't think I heard him right. Were my nerves playing games with me right now?

"What?" I asked, pretending that I didn't hear him the first time.

"I've liked Fei for quite some time now." Luhan said confidently.

     I looked at him in shock. I had not seen this coming at all. The one and only guy that I have ever liked, the guy I devoted so much time to, liked my very own best friend. What kind of sick, twisted fate was this? I shook my head in denial, I didn't want to hear any more but he continued.

"Nori, I seriously like Fei. I knew you were her best friend from the beginning and so I approached you with the hope that you could help me."

"Help you?" I whispered, looking at the ground to avoid his gaze.

     It took me a while to realize that Luhan wasn't sitting besides me anymore. He was now standing in front of me, looking down at me. It felt like my world had just stopped revolving and like it was about to come crashing down at any moment. I was confused and I now wished that today was nothing but a nightmare. This day had started out like a dream but how did it become a nightmare so fast?

"Every time I tried talking to Fei, I became nervous, and I couldn't bring myself to do so. I would just freeze like a fool and that's something that has never happened to me before. I don't know what to say to her and I wouldn't even know where to begin honestly. Help me, please." He pleaded as he took hold of my hands.

     I looked up at him then, his eyes were pleading earnestly for my help. I know he wanted an answer or an opinion from me now but I couldn't dare to open up my mouth. I couldn't bring myself to say no, but I couldn't say yes either. As vulnerable as he looked at the moment, I was the one who was hurting the most.

     I couldn't blame him entirely though. Luhan had no idea about how I felt and that was solely my fault. I needed time. I needed to get away and think about this absurd situation.

"Luhan, I- I'll think about it." I say in a shaky voice.

"Thank you, Nori. I knew I could trust you." He smiled wide with hope and then pulled me up for a tight hug.

     I had dreamed of hugging Luhan for so long and now that it was happening, it didn't feel the same. He had just thrown any chance I had out the door. Luhan seemed farther away from me than before and it was heartbreaking for me to accept.

"I think I should go now." I said, trying to sound composed as best as I could.

"Go? But what about the arcade?"

"I'm sorry, I really need to go. Thank you for today though, I really had fun." I say honestly.

"Let us at least drive you back." He offers.

"No, I'm fine. I'll just take a taxi back. Go have fun with the rest." I insisted and with that I walked away.

     I didn't even bother saying goodbye or even giving him the chance to, I just needed to get as far away from him as possible. I needed to breath. I needed to vent. I needed to cry and wash away any trace of Luhan. How did things turn out this way?

======

     I went home in a daze that day. Honestly, I don't even remember how I made it back to my dorm room. All I remember was crawling into bed and not bothering to do anything else but sleep. I wanted to avoid my own thoughts as much as possible and that's how the week passed.

     I spent that weekend locked up in my room and when the week began, I went to classes like I normally would. The only difference now was that I was being too careless. Everything I did, that used to seem productive to me, now seemed pointless. I had no reason to dress up, to put on a bit of makeup or to even care if I came early or late to class. Nothing mattered anymore. I had no interest in eating healthy either, for some reason I spent most of my time in the cafeteria these days. Food was all I had to comfort me.

     It was now Thursday, the day I was dreading. Seeing both Luhan and Fei today was unavoidable. I had no choice but to talk to Luhan. I told him I would think about helping him and even though I didn't want to, I had to give him an answer.

     Was I going to help him or not? Would my heart really be able to help Luhan get together with Fei? Would I really be able to send him away to another girl like that? As much as I wanted him for myself, I knew I couldn't be that selfish. I wasn't the one Luhan wanted, in the end it would still be Fei he liked.

     Since when, how, why? These questions have been clawing at my brain the entire week and I couldn't take anymore. I needed to hear the answers from him, and if they were good enough reasons then and only then would I be able to set my love aside. Hopefully . .

     Out of all the people in the world, out of all the girls in our school, Luhan had to like Fei. Fei, my very own best friend. She was practically my sister and now she was my competition? Could I even be described as her competitor? It was a won race already. A race that Fei didn't even need to compete for in order to win. She had already won and she had absolutely no clue about it.

     As I suppressed all these unhappy thoughts, I got ready to face Luhan. I couldn't avoid this any longer. I needed to know exactly why he liked Fei that much and what he needed me for. This was probably going to hurt me more in the end, but I really needed to know.