Chapter One - T.O.P

I'm Not A Monster

He could hear the voices close, yet the seemed far away.  

He could understand them, yet they spoke in a way he couldn't understand.

They were human and he was not...

---

He had been there for as long as he could remember, the stone room with its ill light and bleakness had became his secure sanctuary.  Outside those wall he did not know.  Never had he once stood out past the grey colours of stone that surrounded him. The only glimpse of the outside world was the brief view his strong eyes could caught out a tiny window at the end of the deep corridor when the huge iron door that operated on the far wall of the room opened to let the 'Scientists' in. He did not know the meaning of this word. 'Scientists'. All he knew about 'Scientists', was that they were very interested in him, conducting experiments, sampling his venom...

But today was different.  He could feel it before the great door edged open, and the 'Scientists' entered as usual.  The same but different. They spoke to him, the first they had physically addresses him for an amount of time.

"Today, you're going to follow us." With this statement he opened his eyes and set them on the bodies before him. The younger of the 'Scientists' shuddered visibly, this action bringing at minute smirk to his lips. The one speaking cleared his throat and continued.

"Let me make this clear and make no mistake, if you try to do anything we do not instruct, we will not hesitate to destroy you."

Even through the sternness of the voice, he could hear the fear implanted there. More than that, he could feel the accumulated fear in the room from all of the bodies before him. 

The fear of him.

---

With his hands clamped in chains, he was made walk down the grey halls that mimicked the colour of his room. His eyes fluttered from one end to another, taking in every crack and crevasse, every speak of dirt and dust.

Every door clamped shut.

Behind those doors were the sound of lungs intaking and releasing breath. 

Life was behind those doors. Shut away like he was, sharing the same fate.

A sharp tug on the chains around his wrists caught his attention. Slowly he turned his head around, sending out a blank stare to his company. Again the younger 'Scientists' shuddered violently and turned away from him.  He could basically smell the fear emanating from his young body. The one holding his chain was the one who had addressed him before.

"Did you not understand my instructions before?" he spat. "Follow our instructions, nothing else." 

Slumping his broad shoulders back in an almost blasé attitude, he sauntered forward, tasting the fear that flowed in the air around him.

The party stopped abruptly before, what resembled, a huge iron gate. It was built from floor to ceiling and looked unlikely to move without effort. He examined it, noticing a button pad welded into the black iron. His eyes landed on it a few moments then flickered back to the top of the gate. What lay behind it he couldn't tell.

Unlike the breathing he could hear from behind the other doors, whatever was held behind this great structure, it wasn't alive.

But then again, neither was he.

He watched as the youngest 'Scientist' took a card from his overall pocket and slid it down the slot on top of  the button pad. The tiny red light that proclaimed the gate was secured closed flashed green, indicating the gate was now opened. Pulling his chain's roughly forward, the 'scientist' holding him captive pushed the gate without much effort and it swung open and took them inside. 

"This is what will replace you." The  man whispered. "After it is complete, you will not be needed anymore."

It was the first time his curiosity peaked and without look at what the man was staring at so excitedly, he spoke for the first time.  "What will become of myself once 'it' has been completed?"

A smug chuckle echoed in the empty room. The question was avoided. 

"Would you like to meet 'it'?" the scientist gestured to an enclosure at the far corner of the room. Only noticing this when told about it, he turned and stared at it.  Inside it was something powerful.  He could sense the extreme power flowing in the atmosphere of the stuffy room. He tilted his head in curiosity and made a movement forward. He was strung back by the cuffs again.

"If I were you, I would stay as far away as possible." the scientist hissed. "You're a vampire. It would just try to kill you!"

Even more intrigued by whatever was encase in the metal looking case, he stared intently. What could possibly be held in there that was even more powerful than he was? It wasn't long until he found out. Controlled from a control centre somewhere, a loud harsh siren sounded and the door of the case began to move. It jerked upward harshly to reveal a body engulfed in thick black cables.

His eyes widened. 

It couldn't possibly be... Could it?