|-4-| Realization

Second Chance

 

[Three Years After]

 

Dara roamed her eyes around the function room. She then looked at the dance floor and saw two of her friends dancing on the middle. Chaerin had a contented smile plastered on her face as her arms are wrapped around Seungri’s neck as they danced their first dance as husband and wife.

 

 

Weddings. Dara groaned as she rolled her eyes. She reached for her drink on the table and took a sip from it. She then checked her phone to see if someone messaged her. This is the third time she has attended a wedding. First is Bom and Seunghyun’s wedding. Second is Taeyang and IU's wedding. 

 

 

“Dara unnie, why are you here by yourself?” Chaerin asked her when the latter approached her. She smiled at Chaerin and looked at Seungri. Her friendship with Seungri slightly changed when she broke up with Jiyong and met another guys.

 

 

“I’m just taking a rest.” Dara said. Chaerin then smiled at her again and sat at the chair beside her.

 

 

“I’m sorry if this is boring you out, unnie.” Chaerin said.

 

 

“Aniyo. I’m never bored when it comes to my friends. If this is someone else’s wedding, I would be leaving the minute it started.”

 

 

“That’s good to hear, unnie.” Chaerin then looked at her husband. “Who are you looking for?” Chaerin asked Seungri.

 

 

“They should be here by now.” Seungri said. Not minding what his wife had said. He stretched his head upward to look at the door of the function room.

 

 

“Aigoo. My feet are killing me!” Bom exclaimed as she walked towards the table they are occupying with her husband, TOP, trailing behind her.

 

 

“You’ve been sitting her and doing nothing for the past..” Bom looked at her wrist watch and looked back at Dara. “..five hours.” Dara just rolled her eyes and took another sip at her drink.

 

 

“Where’s your brother?” Seunnghyun asked Seungri as the latter just shrugged his shoulders. Dara looked immediately at them after hearing what Seunghyun asked.

 

 

Jiyong will be here? Dara asked herself as her heart fastens its pace. Dara shifted uncomfortably on her seat, it has been three years since she last saw Jiyong.  According to what she heard, Jiyong went to Japan the morning after they broke up to manage their family business there. She hasn’t heard from him since then. And she thanked heavens for that.

 

 

For the past three years, she had her shares of flings. But those flings didn’t last long. She somewhat compare them to Jiyong. And she hated herself for that. Her longest fling only lasted for four months. While Jiyong lasted two years.

 

 

“Jiyong oppa!” Minzy exclaimed which brought back Dara to reality. She snapped out of her reverie and looked at the door of the function room.  There she saw Jiyong walking towards them with a gorgeous smile plastered on his face. Dara can’t help but to feel familiarity spread throughout her heart seeing his smile once again.

 

 

“Hey.” Jiyong greeted as he smiled warmly at all of them. Seungri looked discreetly at Dara’s direction and then to his brother. “I have company.” Jiyong said. Dara looked around and tried to look who did he brought. Is it a girl?

 

 

Jiyong looked back at the door and smiled seeing that it has opened and entered two people. Dara followed her gaze and her eyebrows furrowed seeing a man and woman entered the room.

 

 

“This is Daesung.” Jiyong introduced the guy when he got his side. And when Kiko got his side, he looked at her and wrapped his arms around Kiko’s waist. Bom and Chaerin gasps silently with what they saw. Dara raised one of her eye brown and smiled.

 

 

“And this is Kiko.” Jiyong said then he pecks Kiko’s cheek. The girl blushed and Dara smirked at her. “My fiancée.” Jiyong said. Dara’s eye widens for a moment but then she thought that she doesn’t care.

 

 

“Kiko noona! It’s so great seeing you in person. I’ve only seen you through video message.” Seungri then went to his brother and Kiko’s side. Kiko smiled sweetly at him.

 

 

“Congratulations, Seungrat.” Kiko said then ruffled Seungri’s hair. Chaerin cleared .

 

 

“Oh. This is my lovely wife, by the way, Kiko noona. She is Kwon Chaerin.” Chaerin offered her hand in front of her as she plastered her sweetest smile. Kiko accepted her hands and much to Chaerin’s surprise, Kiko pulled her towards her and hugged her.

 

 

“Congratulations, Chaerin-ssi.” Kiko said.

 

 

“This is Minzy.” Jiyong said as he pointed towards Minzy when Kiko and Chaerin pulled out from their friendly hug. Minzy is the first one who initiated the hug.

 

 

One by one, Kiko and Daesung was introduced to the group. All attention was on Kiko since her diamond ring on her ring finger catches the attention. When it was Dara’s turn to be introduced by Kiko, she put up her sweetest smile.

 

 

“And this is Dara.” Jiyong said. Dara felt something unfamiliar hearing her name from Jiyong’s mouth again. She shrugged off the thought and continued smiling at Kiko.

 

 

“So, you’re Dara.” Kiko said as she offered her hands in front of her. “I’ve hear so much about you.”

 

 

Dara accepted Kiko’s hand and shook it. Kiko then pulled Dara into a hug. Dara was surprised at first but then smiled. “I hope we could be great friends, Dara-ssi.” Kiko said.

 

 

“Is it true, hyung?” Seungri asked his brother as soon as they were all settled down.

 

 

“What?” Jiyong retorted.

 

 

“That you’re getting married to Kiko noona.” Seungri said.

 

 

“Doesn’t her ring say it all?” Jiyong said proudly as he looked over to Kiko and reached for her hand and kissed it.

 

 

“I’m happy for you, man. It’s about time that you settle down.” Youngbae said as he tapped Jiyong’s shoulders lightly.

 

 

“When’s the wedding?” Bom asked.

 

 

“We want it to be next month.” Jiyong said.

 

 

“That soon?” IU asked.

 

 

“I can’t wait any longer.” Jiyong said then looked lovingly at Kiko. Dara almost spat out the drink she is drinking. She felt something not known started to crept up to her heart.

 

 

“So, it’s only Dara noona who will still be single after Jiyong hyung and Kiko noona is married.” Seungri said. Taeyang and IU got married one year ago. And Seungri is right, Dara is the only one who is left uncommitted. Dara just smiled at Seungri.

 

 

“I don’t have any plans on getting married.” Dara nonchalantly said. Jiyong looked at her.

 

 

“So, your views still haven’t change?” Jiyong asked as he smiled at her. Dara’s heart flutter and she doesn’t know why.

 

 

“Nope. And it will never change.” Dara said with finality.

 

 

“Okay.” Jiyong shrugged his shoulders and focused his attention again at Kiko.

 

 

The rest of the night continued. The whole gang had a great night aside from Dara. She kept on shifting uncomfortably on her seat whenever her gaze would land on Jiyong and Kiko. She felt as if someone is punching her and she doesn’t like the feeling even a bit. She sighed in relief when the rest decided to call it a night. Dara smiled at Kiko again before walking towards her car.

 

 

____________________________________________________

 

 

 

She sat on her bed as she placed her bag and keys on the bedside table. She looked around her room. She sighed. Her room feels empty and cold. It has that feeling ever since Jiyong left. She doesn’t know why but she hasn’t allowed anyone of her flings to spend the night in her bed. It just felt wrong.

 

 

Dara sighed once more and she lied on her bed, her feet dangling at the edge of her bed. She stared at the ceiling hoping to find answer to her questions. Why had she felt emptier and colder when days passed by? Why does she felt a little jealousy a while ago seeing Chaerin smiled contentedly at Seungri? Why does she felt longing when she saw Jiyong’s face again after so many years? And most importantly, why does she wish that it was her who was wearing that diamond ring on Kiko’s finger?

 

 

Dara sighed once more as she rested her arm on her forehead. She then started to thought of reasons why had she been feeling like a jealous woman.

 

 

Because you’re jealous! Someone inside her head screamed. “No!” Dara talked to herself. “I’m just surprised seeing him again after three years.”

 

 

No, you’re not! Admit it to yourself. Your plan in life changed already yet you haven’t noticed it! Screamed her inside once again. “No. No one can make me change what I already planned for my life.” Dara shook her head in defiance.

 

 

Yes! And Kwon Jiyong was the man who made you want to get married and have kids. Dara’s eyes widen.  “That’s impossible!” Dara sat right up on her bed. “No.” Dara said as she shook her head once again.

 

 

Yes! You are in love with Jiyong. But too late, he has already moved on from you. Dara took her head in her palms as she rested her elbows on her knees. Her heart beats erratically inside her chest as if agreeing to what her inside said. She clutched on her chest and acceptance overflew from her heart. 

 

 

The reason why she had felt empty and cold is because Jiyong is not there beside her. The reason why she wished she was the one wearing that diamond ring on Kiko is because she wanted to be the one to get married to him. The reason why she felt longing after seeing Jiyong’s face again is because she has longed for him. She had loved him but she got scared and chose to ignore her feelings and stick with what she believed is best for her.

 

 

“I’m so stupid.” Dara said as tears fell from her eyes. “I should’ve said yes to him that night when he asked me to marry him. But I was so stupid.” Dara said, regretting her decision that made her lose Jiyong. “I should’ve acknowledged that I started developing some feelings for him. I should’ve been smart.  If that happenes, Jiyong and I should’ve have been married by now and already has a child. Stupid, Dara! Why are you so stupid?!” Dara shouted in agony.

 

 

“So stupid.” Dara repeated again and again and when she got tired, she slowly lied down her bed and slowly closed her eyes with tears still falling down from her eyes.