One Message Received

“Destiny? How cliché!”

 

You were dazing off on your bed, recalling all the horrible things you had encountered in your life. You knew that it will not do you well but your brain decided to reminisce about it.

First on the list was the day your parents died. It was a sunny morning and you remembered how that great day was ruined with the word “death.”

You were seven years old that time when your parents left you with your grandmother to go to a trip somewhere outside the country. The trip was supposed to be for them to relax but before they arrive at their destination, death decided to greet them, making the plane’s engine fail.

An unexpected tear trickled down your cheek as the memories of that day continued to play in your subconscious. You remembered it all; how the phone rung, how the person on the other line told your grandma the news about your parents while you were standing next to your grandma, hearing every word they were saying.

It was too hard. No, it was impossible for you, a seven years old girl to accept that your parents were dead. You did not know what came to you when you ran outside of your house and went to the place that always makes you happy, the park.

You ran as fast as you could with your pigtails hitting your face and with tears streaming down your cheeks, not caring about the people you were bumping on the way. Finally, you arrived at the park. You sat down on one of the swings, wiping the tears on your face.

You chose to go to the park, believing that it will make you happy. You have always viewed the park as a happy place with the exciting swings and light atmosphere decorating the place. And besides, the people there were always smiling, happy. Maybe if you see them, you would be happy too. But this time, it didn’t work.

You were there for hours and as you see the other children having fun, you cannot help but get jealous of them. They seemed to be happy as they played with their friends, pets and some even had their parents with them. The sad reality knocked you harder as you realized that you did not have any friends and worse, your parents are dead. Your parents were the only friends you had but now they’re gone and you’re left here, alone.


Before another set of hot tears stream down your face, two bickering boys who were about your age distracted you. They were running around the place laughing and teasing each other. They looked like they were having so much fun and the funny faces they were making unconsciously plastered a smile on your face. Before you know it, the tears has stopped flowing.

One boy was holding a picture, laughing at whatever was on that image and the other boy was trying to snatch away the picture from his friend’s hand. Watching them was making you strangely curious of what was on the picture but who were you to look at it.

Before you know it, the sun was already setting, making way for the darkness to reign. You decided to go back to your house because your stomach wouldn’t stop growling and it was getting dark. Your grandmother was probably worrying sick about you.

Before you exited the park you encountered a picture of two boys, the same boys who were quarreling earlier. No wonder they were laughing so hard, the picture was quite…. Disturbing in a funny way.

On the picture were the two boys. The one who was laughing and holding the picture was smiling cutely and beside him was the brown haired kid who was smiling so wide, it was almost as if he was going to eat you alive.

Now you know why the guy was laughing and you yourself couldn’t help but laugh too. You looked around you and secretly placed the picture inside your pocket. Yes, it might be considered stealing but you were so desperate for anything that could make you happy now that your parents were gone.

You were still surprised how something simple like a picture lightened up your mood but somehow, you went home with a smile.

After a couple of weeks, your parents were finally buried and you continued to live with your grandma. It was hard to adjust at first because your grandma was a little odd. She was not like other grandmothers who sits on a chair all day and knit sweaters. Your grandmother was a fortune teller with crystal balls and tarot cards and she believes in things such as destiny, fate and true love. Her house was tremendously different from your parents’ house; it was a little bit dark with dimmed lights, candles and odd paintings, giving off a gloomy feeling.

At first you had a hard time coping with her weird antics but as time passed by, you had learned to accept her for who she is. Besides, she was the only person left who cared for you.

You decided to place the picture of the two boys safe inside a frame. Although they were complete strangersand what you were doing was really creepy, you cannot help but feel happy when seeing them. They looked like they treasured each other so much. Somewhere inside your heart, you wished for a friend who can treat you like how they treat each other.

One day your grandma found the framed picture on your desk and asked you where you got it. “I found it at the park the day I ran away.” You said as she picked up the picture from your desk.

Your grandma looked at the picture and closed her eyes. After a few seconds her eyes popped, wide open and stared at you then at the picture.

“Do you know them?” Her voice came out soft and eerie. Even though she was your grandmother, you cannot help but feel Goosebumps on your skin.

“I met them at the park a couple of months ago. Well, it’s not like I talked to them or anything. I don’t even know their names.”

She nodded her head and bent down just to look at you right on the eyes.

“Sae rin, these boys will play a big part on your life. Maybe, not now because you’re still young but in the future, you will meet them again,” She stopped for a dramatic pause and continued.

“One of these boys is your soul mate. I can’t tell who but one of them is destined to be your prince.”

-------

As you grow up, you learned several things from your grandmother like how to read tarot cards and make beautiful candles. You were also fascinated by her views on destiny that you yourself started to believe in as well.

All of these did not actually help you in your goals on making friends. It actually made you more alone than before. People at school avoided you and called you names such as witch and monster. Some even bullied you and threatened you to get out of the school. You wanted to explain yourself and clear all the misunderstandings but no one actually bothered listening to you so you started to give up.

Your eyes started to produce salty tears again so you stopped reminiscing about your past. Gosh, I knew this was going to happen. You thought as you stood up from your bed and went outside your room.

“You sure you’re not coming?” Your grandma asked you from the doorstep. She was wearing a black dress, carrying a basket with your parents’ favorite food.

It was their death anniversary and you did not want to come because you knew you were just going to sulk about it.

“I’m sure,” You looked at your grandma with sad eyes and forced a smile. “I’m not ready yet.”

Your grandma smiled back at you and left. After your grandma left, you grabbed a bar of chocolate and went back to your bed.

You rested on your bed and stared at the ceiling. Once again, tears started to flow and you tried to stop it by wiping away your tears with the pillow. You removed the pillow on your head the moment you heard a scary laughing baby.

OH MY--

It startled you at first but then you recognized the laughing baby was just your ringtone. You almost forgot your for laughing babies and that you actually made it your ringtone because the only texts you receive are from your grandma or the phone company and honestly, you barely receive messages from them.

You grabbed your phone on top of your Eboney night desk beside your bed and opened it just to find a text message from an unknown number.

From: XXXXXXXXXX

Are you still crying? Please don’t cry anymore.

 

---

The first chapter is up! :) Ehhh... I don't really know what to say about the first chapter because it's just the introduction but please anticipate the future chapters. Let's just hope it's going to be better than this hehe ^^ Thanks for reading :D