Chapter 1

Chaos

 

Your POV

You were in a dingy lit back room of a restaurant, scrubbing dishes. Your hair was tied in a messy bun; your cheeks were flushed from working; your legs were sore from squatting. Your hands were raw and red from the hot water. Your eyes drooped down, threatening to close any moment. 

Your mother died when you were 14 years old and you were left with your step father. Your mother insisted he was a good man, but after she died, he became an alcoholic and gambler. Not only did you have to worry about him, you also have a sickness, or chronic illness, (if you will), where you get weak and tired really easily if you don't take your medicine. This illness also causes a chronic cough that lasts for minutes straight. You didn't have much money for surgery or even an evaluation of what is really wrong. Doctors, knowing you can't afford anything but medicine, gave you only that option. The medicine didn’t really heal though, it only relieved the pain. You worked the entire day at multiple jobs to support his gambling and drinking habits and for your medicine. He did nothing, yet forced you to give up your hard earned money to him. You lie to him and only give him half while keeping the other half for yourself.  For your freedom.

Bang. The back door of the restaurant shook and swung opened. You looked up, startled and almost dropped the plate you were holding. A tall male figure appeared, completely dressed in black. You bit your lip to keep calm, but your hands were moist, Your heart raced. You were wary of men.

You saw blood.

He was panting and heaving, as if he was running away from someone.

His dark eyes flitted towards your face.

He was holding a knife. 

"Let me hide here, or I will rip you to shreds," he said in a low, deep voice. His gaze held against yours steadily.

You stared at him blankly and nodded.

You stood up, but your knees gave out and you almost fell but you leaned against the railing next to you. Your heart was pounding uncontrollably and you swear he could smell your fear. Your clammy hands gripped the railing. His eyes were on you the entire time. You didn't look at him, but motioned him towards the back room where the empty boxes that use to hold vegetables were.

“Lock the door behind you you said in a soft voice.

He nodded and tucked his knife under the jacket, then locked the door behind him.

“Padlock”, you said silently motioning next to him.

He nodded and placed it on the door. With long strides, he quickly went behind you and towards the boxes and hid. You squatted back down and continued the dishes. What have I gotten myself into? I really hope he doesn't hurt or do anything to me. you thought to yourself quietly.

"Ya! Rose! What the hell happened back there? What are you doing?" yelled the restaurant ahjumma. "It’s almost time to close! Hurry up with those dishes!"

"Ne, ahjumma." you replied in your soft spoken voice.

You heard more men outside.

"Where the hell did he run off to?"

"Don't worry we'll get him"

"He doesn't have many friends here. It’s out of their territory. They won't come here."

You closed the dingly lit light, hoping they would not come into your space. You washed the dishes quietly and quickly in the dark for the next hour. 

Narrator's POV

He have never seen a girl so calm and collected. Either girls would swoon over my mysterious aura with matching black hair and eyes, or they would be completely freaked out by his glare. I'm really not that scary he thought to himself grumpily, a small pout formed on his face. HIs mouth quickly turned into a smirk. I wonder what I can get out of her.....he smirked. It'll be a thank you gift for helping me he mused. I don't just give my body to anyone. He heard her get up and lifting the bucket of cleaned plates and entered the kitchen. She returned and carried the huge bucket of dirty water back into the kitchen to dispose of it. He peeked at her from his hiding place. Her slim figure matched well with her. She had rosy cheeks with full, sweet lips. Her eyes were big, like a doe, her eyelashes were long, and she looked so innocent. She let down her brown hair and it went to the middle of her back. It looks so soft he thought to himself.

Your POV

The bucket was heavier today. You didn’t get a chance to buy your medicine, so you were very exhausted. You glanced at the clock in the kitchen. Midnight. Great you groaned. I won't get home till 1 or 2 am today. You went back to the room the dim light so you could collect your things. Maybe he left. you thought hopefully. Your hopes were shattered when he emerged from the boxes.

You looked at him tiredly and asked quietly, "Where are you going to go now?"

He glanced at you. "With you of course," he said. You didn't miss the fact that he patted the knife in his jacket.

You gulped in the inside and said quietly "I live over an hour away from here. We have to take the bus." You cursed yourself. What are you going to do if he you? But for some reason.....he didn't feel dangerous, just looked it. You sighed inwardly and proceeded to unlock the rattly door. The restaurant ahjumma already left and she left you with the back door key. He followed you out and you locked the door behind you.

You two walked together in silence. You were too terrified to ask him where he came from and he looked as if he cared less about you, not that you were willing to share anyways. You walked slowly and felt as if your knees were going to buckle beneath you any moment. You had to get you medicine tomorrow.  He seemed annoyed at the slow pace, but didn't say anything and kept his hands in his pocket. He slowed down to match his pace with yours. You two arrived at the bus stop and you collapsed into the seat. He glanced at you but didn't say anything. You looked up at him, only to find him staring off into space. You examined his features more carefully. He had a tall nose, deep dark brown/black eyes, his hair was softly across his eyes. HIs lips looked gentle....what gentle? you shook your head. You leaned back against the glass behind you. 

"I'm Tao." he said suddenly. You almost jumped out of your chair.

"Rose" you replied softly.

"You're really pretty Rose. Even more than the flower." he smiled at his own cheesiness. He reached over to brush a lose hair that fell on your face.

You immediately pulled back. You shut your eyes, fearing that he could see the bottomless pit of fear in your eyes. 

Thankfully, he pulled his hands away. 

The bus arrived.

You got on and pressed your card. You heard him say behind you "Um I don't have money."

You inwardly sighed again and took out coins and paid for him. You collapsed at a seat near the window. He sat next to you. 

"Thank you" he said.

"Mhm" you said with your eyes closed.

"Why.....why did you help me if you seemed so afraid of me?" he asked.

You didn't open your eyes and replied softly, "You look like you needed help."

"So you help anyone in need?" he asked, but you didnt answer. You have already drifted off to sleep. Little did you know your head began tilting towards him.....

Tao's POV

She was so close. For some reason I could not take advantage of her like I usually do, not now, especially after her reaction from at first...I gently placed her head against my shoulders. I felt my heart race a little. Whats wrong with me? I just met her! I have played with many girls before. She's peobably just like those s I play with. Maybe if I treat her like how I treat those s...yeah then this weird feeling will go away. I pushed her head off of my shoulder and spent the ride thinking of what to do next when I’ve rested and healed up. We finally reached the last stop and I roughly pushed her to wake her up. She jolted up and looked a me, a flash of fear passed her eyes and vanished.

"Last stop. We didn’t miss your stop right?"

She shook her head and got off the bus, saying thank you to the bus driver on her way out.

Aish what a good girl I thought glancing at her.

She walked a little quicker now. I kind of wonder what happened to her at first. It seemed like she was going to collaspe and shatter like glass.UGH its. none of your business Huang Zitao! I thought, frustrated at myself.

We arrived at her house. Or should I even call it a house? It was a dinky, foul little thing where the paint was peeling and the doors had rusted hinges. She opened the door quietly and peeked in. I heard her sigh in relief. What is she so scared of? and is she really this poor? I mean when I compare my place to this.... I thought and inwardly smirked.

"Um.." my thoughts were interrupted by her. "Do you...do you want to shower?"

"No its cool. where am I gonna sleep?"

"There isn’t an extra room. You have to....share a room...with me" she said rather reluctantly.

"Yeah whatever." I said nonchalantly.

"You can have the bed," she said looking at me. "you are hurt. Do you need to fix your arm?" She asked gesturing towards my semi-bleeding arm.

"Nah its cool. and we can share the bed." I said smirking at her. She stiffened when I said the last part. Treat her like a I thought to myself. Dont get too attached! Theyre all the same! But she's making it so difficult! I thought again as I followed her into her room. She paused at the entrance and letting me go in first.

"Please....make yourself comfortable..." she said in her quiet, calm voice.

She then went into the kitchen to get something. I surveyed the room. It was clean with one desk, one chair, a small dresser and one bed. It smelled like her. Rose-like with a hint of lemon cake....? I couldn’t put my finger on it. She returned with a first aid kit and handed it to me. I was surprised that she got it and took it from her. She then turned to go shower. I bandaged myself up and she came out of the shower. She had already blown dried her hair and was wearing her pajamas. Nothing y to my disappointment. I plopped down on her bed.

"Sure you dont want to share?" I smirked at her again. She stiffened and shook her head violently.

"Your choice," I said. I closed my eyes and thought At least I have a warm bed to sleep on tonight. I fell asleep to her locking her bedroom door. *Click click click click click click click click* Who the hell needs ing 8 locks for their bedroom? I thought as I drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yeah...LOL hopefully its not too boring. its only the beginning, so not much drama ^^ i hoped you guys enjoyed it...and thank you for all the new subscriptions ^^ everyone is so nice *_* *blows kisses* lol <33